Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on July 15, 2008
I purchased this truck just over a year ago, and had problems within the first month. The battery died and had to be replaced, then it stopped working again about 4 weeks later and I had to have a second battery replaced with a new "universal type" which required splicing into the harness since the original type battery (Safety 1st) is no longer available. Then 4 months ago, the reverse mode would not work, but only make the reverse "beeping sound" and just last month the final straw was when my son was riding it, he could not stop it! He even tried turning the "key" off to shut it, which did nothing. He literally drove down the driveway and into the street before I realized what was happening and ran to grab him! The ONLY was to stop it was to disconnect the battery cable. I tried reconnecting it, and it still happens sporatically, EXTREMELY unsafe to even risk letting him ride it. I cannot contact anyone who can/wants to help (Tonka, Safety First, Kid Trax, etc.) and just keep getting "passed around" being told it is no longer "their product". I HIGHLY suggest sticking with Power Wheels or better known brands. In dealing with the customer service which IS still Safety 1st...(which was absolutely horrible), expect nothing but the run-around without ever receiving any help.
on May 25, 2009
The battery for this truck worked on and off the first summer we bought it in 2006. Every summer since, the battery has died. I have gone through 2 more. I have spoken with the company and they sent me a new charger to install that should fix the battery problem. I received this part over the weekend, only to realize I will have to take the whole truck apart in order to install this one piece! This isn't some junky $10.00 toy. I spent over $300.00! I have been in contact with the company over the last 2 years, but now my warranty is up. As cool looking as this toy is and my boys love it the few times it's worked, I would not purchase it. You and your children will be very disappointed.
on December 30, 2007
I purchased the dump truck for my son on his third b-day. I was not sure about spending $350.00 on the safety first product vs the Power Wheel brand but my son had to have the dump truck! I wish I would have trusted my instincts, having two children and hundred of toys it has been the worst purchase I have ever made! After riding it for a few months and following all the recharging instructions the low battery would start beeping after riding it for only one minute. I called they told me it was the battery that needed to be replaced so I went and bought a new battery but it continued doing the same thing. They sent me a new cable to connect the battery but that didn't work. After all of this they said they could not help me anymore because the waranty was out of date now! So my son only enjoyed this $350.00 toy for 3 months. Needless to say I only buy Power Wheels now and haven't had a single problem! If you need customer service beware they are very rude.
on December 27, 2009
I actually found this at a Marshalls store here in DFW, and couldn't pass up such a cool toy for the basement price they had for it. So I picked it up. At the time my nephew was too young for such a toy, so it was put in a climate controlled storage facility for at LEAST a year. We were concerned that the battery would have died in this time, so my dad and my brother-in-law brought it to the house to put it together and ensure that it worked. It held a charge with NO issue! However, maneuvering this beast down a flight of stairs was a task! Beware, it does NOT fit in doorways when fully assembled! You have to pick it up and turn it on its side to get it out a door. And it's a BEAST!

The box it was in had no details of what the product did, so I assumed it went forward and backwards. That's it. But oh, no! This thing sounds like an actual diesel truck when started up, beeps when in reverse, makes the sound of gravel being dumped when dumping the load, all kind of neat stuff! Now here is where I say be careful; it has 2 gears! Not kidding. 2 of them. The top speed of a Power Wheel is 2.5mph. The first gear on this truck does that. But second gear lets this baby go all the way up to 5mph!!!! A bit much for a 3 year old in our opinion!
However, with that said, there is a strategic hole for a screw to be placed into so that it essentially 'locks' the second gear from being used, and stays permanently in the first gear. So beware of that second gear!

On another 'COOL' note, the wheels are all independant of one another...differential is what my husband said it is. We had iced-over streets on Christmas day, but he still wanted to go drive it. What was impressive, is that when a single wheel would spin like crazy with no traction, the one wheel that had traction turned MUCH slower. It was really neat to watch.
Oh, and don't let the kids chase the family pet in this thing...it's heavy, fast, and can easily pull a 'Monster Truck' moment with any pet or smaller powered toy.

But man, it's COOL!
on July 28, 2007
My husband and I purchased this truck for our 3 yr.old for christmas and in the beginging it ran great. However, within a month the motor would stop while our son was driving in the middle of our cul-de-sac. Needless to say we thought it needed charging. After charging over night the problem persisted with the same stalling and beeping noise. I finally called the company and they seemed to know exactly what the problem was and sent a replacement part. I'm waiting to see if this fixes the problem for good. My son is already fed up with the stalling and isn't to thriled about riding it anymore.
55 comments14 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2010
I have bought this from another site and man I tell you that it just cause too much problem. The quality of this toy is way below average and got rid of this already and have bought power wheels instead. It is overprice for a piece of junk.
on December 29, 2010
My boys LOVE these trucks, and they aren't even that into construction stuff. My 5 year old has no problem at all working it, my 3 year old is figuring it out. After a full 24 hour charge, they are still running great and the boys have played 3x with them. These are heavy and well made. We have the Kid Trax ones which is what is available now, not the ones in the other reviews that are made by a different company. I was worried because of the bad reviews, but after reading through them, all of the bad ones are for the previous product and the current company, Kid Trax, who redid the product stands behind it and provides all sorts of phone numbers and support in case of any issues. We have had no issues.

Packaging: The item arrives in a Huge, I mean HUGE, brown box, the picture is printed on 3 sides of it so make plans to intercept it before your kids see it if it is for Christmas like ours were.

Assembly: I pulled both of them out and started charging the batteries the day before Christmas Eve. The night of Christmas Eve I did the rest of the assembly, which isn't much. There are no stickers to put on, and the only assembly is attaching the wheels and securing the front where the battery is. It took maybe 15 minutes for both which was nice.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 15, 2009
We've had nothing but problems with this thing. $[...] dollars down the tube and maybe one hour of fun max. Frusterating. The first battery NEVER worked, second battery replacement took MONTHS because it was out stock. And now that I need a new one because that one was was in storage during a move and now is dead and I learn I can't even buy a new one and the "KidTrax" stuff isn't interchangable.

If I was just out of luck now that the hands have changed on this product but had been able to have a fair amount of enjoyment before now I wouldn't be so hard on this product, but it's never been anything but trouble. Luckly I have the one good hour on film because it doesn't look like there will be anymore.
on January 31, 2011
I was initially concerned about ordering two of these for our twins based on the reviews. We ended up purchasing two of them. We had a small issue with the batteries as well. As soon as I contacted their customer service, they responded quickly saying that Amazon had the products for some time and that they would send me two new batteries with the upgraded charging kit. We received them within a couple of days and haven't had an issue since. This thing is very big! We could have ordered once since two toddlers fit very comfortably in one. We also have a 2 year old who loved to ride as a passenger with her brothers. Bottom line: very happy with their customer service!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 12, 2010
I bought one of these, a fire truck, for my grandkids. It never ran very long at all. Turns out the battery is not very good so I finally got fed up with it and found a site to resolve the issue, some 3 years later, Now I use a battery that cost $20 to replace and they ride it all the time. They love the truck and were all happy. Website [...]
22 comments2 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse