5.0 out of 5 stars A great fence...
Published on May 25, 2001 by G. Luders

3.0 out of 5 stars good design, cheaply made
This gate is really great, I like the way that it sets up. However, right out of the package the product snapped because of the cheap plastic that holds certain areas together. Mine might have just been a faulty incident, but I thought the gate was a little more solid than it was. We ended up fusing the broken area with a piece of metal.

I like this product...
Published on February 22, 2010 by R. Zoellner

5.0 out of 5 stars A great fence..., May 25, 2001
G. Luders "geoffrey" (Santa Cruz, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KidCo Hearth Gate (Baby Product)
We got this fence, along with one extra panel, to keep our baby daughter away from our wood stove. It also ended up being very useful at Christmas time for closing off the end of the room where the tree and presents were. The hinged sections, along with the fence's rigidity, make it very versatile in closing off larger areas. It is also the only fence we found that seemed attractive enough to leave up in our living room for a few years. The fence also comes with hardware to attach one or both ends to a wall, making it more secure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and sturdy, January 3, 2009
This review is from: KidCo Hearth Gate (Baby Product)
It's a sturdy barrier that's easy to attach to the wall. It's dark color helps it look right at home surrounding our fireplace.

The price is a little higher than some other barriers that are bigger and sturdier. Check out the North States 3-in-1 barrier; it's a bit sturdier and costs about 40-50 dollars less.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product worked very well, September 26, 2006
This review is from: KidCo Hearth Gate (Baby Product)
We've had this gate around our fireplace for 3 years. We have a large hearth and a wood stove insert, so a secure gate was a must. It is quite heavy, and has been very sturdy. The opening works well, and provides sufficient access to the fire. We cut it very close on the dimensions, so the gate was a little hard to install. All and all, this was a great purchase and well worth the money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall, but chintzy on operational details., February 5, 2008
This review is from: KidCo Hearth Gate (Baby Product)
We bought and use this product and I agree with the other reviewers above that it is overall well made and attractive. As someone else has commented, the gate is, indeed, easy to operate, even one-handed.

That said, considering the cost of the product it's annoyingly cheap on several important details. It comes with mounting hardware to attach it to the wall (which we need to do), but that hardware doesn't include wall anchors if you are installing (as we are) into drywall (we have a free-standing wood stove set away from a wall), though the instructions clearly state that anchors are needed for installation into drywall. With the product costing over $200, I'd have thought it would be possible to throw in 8 drywall anchors. More annoying still, the product is one bar short of complete -- it is sold with the last rail missing. If it's freestanding, this isn't a big issue (though it does make the gate a little less elegant), but for our setup this makes it impossible to attach the product to the wall (a HUGE danger, as the rail is very light and slides easily, and it is easy for our toddler to move it, i.e., to push it over to where he can reach through the bars and touch the hot stove). I'm sufficiently annoyed by the facts that (a) to buy just a single rail and have it shipped will cost me $[...] plus (b) it is not possible to order such a rail online -- I would have to call Kidco directly -- that I have bought a wooden dowel and plan to paint it and see if I can use it in place of a metal rod. However, having a (makeshift) wooden dowel in an expensive product intended to be used near a stove (ours isn't too near), and having to buy, paint, and cut a wooden dowel to make a $[...]+ product operational is rather annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection from the fireplace, January 14, 2007
This review is from: KidCo Hearth Gate (Baby Product)
This gate provides excellent protection from the fireplace while looking pretty nice. Once mounted to the wall, the gate is very sturdy so we don't worry when our nearly-one-year-old daughter stands up next to the gate and pulls on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Pets, July 23, 2008
This review is from: KidCo Hearth Gate (Baby Product)
After flimsy baby gates, I purchased this hearth gate. I have now had it for 3 years and have ordered another I love it so much. The gate has never wore out, still easy to open and close. It slides up and down a bit at the wall so I can clean the floor under it. It is just narrow enough between rails that my small dogs can't get through. It's also sturdy enough to separate rooms, even 10 feet doorways and never waver. Anyone looking for pet gates and room dividers, this is the only way to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars CT Mother of 2, January 9, 2007
This review is from: KidCo Hearth Gate (Baby Product)
I have 2 children, 27 months and 8 months. The 27 month old understands fire and hot, but the gate works great to keep him at a safe distance. The 8 month old is crawling and pulling up, the gate saves her from trouble, and me from too much chasing! It was very easy to install- just take it out of the box and determine which layout you need. We have it in a pentagon shape around our wood burning fireplace insert and did not buy any extensions. There is plenty of room to enter the gate, open the insert door and tend the fire. It looks good too!

5.0 out of 5 stars A well thought out product, December 9, 2006
This review is from: KidCo Hearth Gate (Baby Product)
This is an excellent fence.

I particulary like the gate latching mechanism. It is kid proof, yet very easy for adults to use.

Setup was a little difficult. The hinges between gate pieces can be annoying. If you plan on reconfiguring this fence often, you might want to look around a little more. Ours is a permanent fixture in front of the wood stove, so I am okay with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works for side-loading stoves., November 10, 2008
This review is from: KidCo Hearth Gate (Baby Product)
I rearranged the segments of this gate to put the swinging doorway on the last segment. This layout was to accommodate a side-loading wood stove. It was very easy to hook/unhook the segments.

Before ordering the product I called Kidco customer service to see whether the gate could be arranged in this fashion and the rep, while helpful, could not give me a solid answer. The answer is, yes, the doorway segment can be anywhere and the gate seems to be just as sturdy and can still be bolted to a wall.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential For Fireplace/Wood Stove Safety!, October 21, 2006
Amazon Customer (Syracuse, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KidCo Hearth Gate (Baby Product)
I never review anything on Amazon, but we just bought the Hearth Gate, and I love it. We live in the Northeast and use a wood insert to heat the downstairs of our house. We also have a 1-year-old daughter and I was really worried about her gettinng too close to the fire. This gate surrounds the entire hearth and leaves plenty of leeway so she can't reach in and touch the insert. It's black and blends in nicely with the hearth area. We didn't need to use the included mounting hardwear, but it looked simple enough to do so if one needed to. Again - a great product!

KidCo Hearth Gate