Amazon.com: Customer Reviews:
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

• Customer Reviews

on May 25, 2001
We got this fence, along with one extra panel, to keep our baby daughter away from our wood stove. It also ended up being very useful at Christmas time for closing off the end of the room where the tree and presents were. The hinged sections, along with the fence's rigidity, make it very versatile in closing off larger areas. It is also the only fence we found that seemed attractive enough to leave up in our living room for a few years. The fence also comes with hardware to attach one or both ends to a wall, making it more secure.
11 comment| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2009
It's a sturdy barrier that's easy to attach to the wall. It's dark color helps it look right at home surrounding our fireplace.

The price is a little higher than some other barriers that are bigger and sturdier. Check out the North States 3-in-1 barrier; it's a bit sturdier and costs about 40-50 dollars less.
on February 5, 2008
We bought and use this product and I agree with the other reviewers above that it is overall well made and attractive. As someone else has commented, the gate is, indeed, easy to operate, even one-handed.

That said, considering the cost of the product it's annoyingly cheap on several important details. It comes with mounting hardware to attach it to the wall (which we need to do), but that hardware doesn't include wall anchors if you are installing (as we are) into drywall (we have a free-standing wood stove set away from a wall), though the instructions clearly state that anchors are needed for installation into drywall. With the product costing over $200, I'd have thought it would be possible to throw in 8 drywall anchors. More annoying still, the product is one bar short of complete -- it is sold with the last rail missing. If it's freestanding, this isn't a big issue (though it does make the gate a little less elegant), but for our setup this makes it impossible to attach the product to the wall (a HUGE danger, as the rail is very light and slides easily, and it is easy for our toddler to move it, i.e., to push it over to where he can reach through the bars and touch the hot stove). I'm sufficiently annoyed by the facts that (a) to buy just a single rail and have it shipped will cost me $[...] plus (b) it is not possible to order such a rail online -- I would have to call Kidco directly -- that I have bought a wooden dowel and plan to paint it and see if I can use it in place of a metal rod. However, having a (makeshift) wooden dowel in an expensive product intended to be used near a stove (ours isn't too near), and having to buy, paint, and cut a wooden dowel to make a $[...]+ product operational is rather annoying.
on September 26, 2006
We've had this gate around our fireplace for 3 years. We have a large hearth and a wood stove insert, so a secure gate was a must. It is quite heavy, and has been very sturdy. The opening works well, and provides sufficient access to the fire. We cut it very close on the dimensions, so the gate was a little hard to install. All and all, this was a great purchase and well worth the money.
on July 23, 2008
After flimsy baby gates, I purchased this hearth gate. I have now had it for 3 years and have ordered another I love it so much. The gate has never wore out, still easy to open and close. It slides up and down a bit at the wall so I can clean the floor under it. It is just narrow enough between rails that my small dogs can't get through. It's also sturdy enough to separate rooms, even 10 feet doorways and never waver. Anyone looking for pet gates and room dividers, this is the only way to go.
on January 23, 2009
We put off buying this gate because of it's price, but finally ordered it - it's worth every penny! Strong and sturdy for our active 18 month old, mounts to the wall easily - the gate has a small bit of flex, so the mounting brackets didn't have to be exact. We added an 8" extension and it was really easy also. The door works nice. It looks really good also - fits our small living room well. Our only regret is that we didn't buy it 6 months ago!
review image review image
on January 14, 2007
This gate provides excellent protection from the fireplace while looking pretty nice. Once mounted to the wall, the gate is very sturdy so we don't worry when our nearly-one-year-old daughter stands up next to the gate and pulls on it.
on October 31, 2011
We got this a couple of days after we ordered it. Very nice service. It is very attractive and sturdy. We placed it around a wood stove and it works great. I had read the reviews about the plastic pieces breaking just out of the box, so I took a real good look at how it was folded and read the directions about how to unfold it. Turns out if u just yank it open it will probably break. Which I might have done if I had not read reviews After reading directions.. I pulled up on the plastic hinges and pushed down on the gate to slightly separate them and all sections opened with no problem and no breaking. It's a great investment to keep the kiddos safe. I highly recommend it.
on January 9, 2007
I have 2 children, 27 months and 8 months. The 27 month old understands fire and hot, but the gate works great to keep him at a safe distance. The 8 month old is crawling and pulling up, the gate saves her from trouble, and me from too much chasing! It was very easy to install- just take it out of the box and determine which layout you need. We have it in a pentagon shape around our wood burning fireplace insert and did not buy any extensions. There is plenty of room to enter the gate, open the insert door and tend the fire. It looks good too!
on December 4, 2011
This is an excellent product. I am impressed with the quality of workmanship, the beautiful look, how easily the swinging gate doors work, and the flexibility of how you can fit it together and adjust the angles. You really can configure it in a wide array of ways, and it is easily changeable. I am a professional dog trainer and we also foster rescue dogs, so I was happy to find such a visually appealing way to segregate the dogs either all in one place, or from one another if needed. Instead of getting odd looks from visitors about all kinds of baby gates and no babies (dog people, you know what I mean), people now ask about where to find this lovely gate.

I have been using two of these put together (to make it one longer gate) to gate off a large entryway to our living room / dining room. I elected not to fasten them to the wall, and instead have them angled at the two ends, then back parallel to the threshhold with the last panels tucked between furniture and the wall (behind a couch on one side, and a dresser on the other.) Between the angled ends and the ends tucked behind the furniture, it supports itself well. Without being tucked behind other furniture or fastened to the wall, I think it might tip over if a really big dog jumped up on it, but otherwise it was really sturdy just with the angled ends and free-standing. Our own dogs range from a 35 lb Border Collie, to a 55 lb Australian Cattle Dog, to a 110 lb "Big Black Dog." The Border Collie just jumped over it a few times when we first got her, but I don't think this would even occur to most dogs even if they are physically able, and the height of the gate is enough of a "suggestion" that it hasn't been hard to train her to stay in (occasional treats for staying in when the door's closed, and if you come out I'm just going to put you back in so why bother). They often jump up and put front paws on the gate, and it is sturdy enough to withstand this, and also doesn't show any signs of scratches or wear. Have had these up for over a year now. WELL worth the price.