on August 22, 2005
Fabulous idea, but not very good. I bought this gate to put across my driveway to keep balls from rolling into the road. The mesh material isn't strong enough to stop the balls. When there is a breeze the mesh blows and small balls roll right underneath, and larger balls keep rolling right thru it if they're going fast enough. It might be better if the spring mechanism was stronger to keep the gate stretched tighter. Also, you need two people to retract it in order to keep the mesh straight and not bunch up on itself.

If all you want is to give your kids a visual so they stay away from the street it's OK. BOTTOM LINE: Too much money for what you get.
on April 12, 2010
I bought this to help prevent my young children from riding their bikes into the street when playing in the driveway.

Very easy to install, it took me all of maybe 15 minutes to unbox it, make the holes, and set it up. You have to make sure the PVC pipes that go into the ground go in completely level, otherwise the retraction device will not work well. It states to do this in the directions, though.

Now, I've read several reviews that say that a kid can figure out how to get under it, yadda yadda. Well, if you want to truly stop a toddler or child from getting past an obstacle, then build a true fence, and put gates over your driveway. No reasonable person looks at a mesh gate and thinks, hey, this will totally stop my kid from going around it or under it.

What is it supposed to do? It is supposed to stop balls from rolling in the street. But, it also stops my kids from riding their bikes or skateboards into the street, too. That's what it's designed for.

What's better is, when people drive by my house now, they see the bright orange mesh and immediately slow down. I think it is making people more alert that they need to be on the look out for kids. My neighbors were so impressed that they are buying one, too -- so with a couple of these next to each other, drivers on the road will probably have even more caution.

Great product, easy to install, does what it is supposed to do.
on November 1, 2007
I became frustrated researching this product. It has so many low ratings and the photos of it do suggest that it's flimsy! I was determined to find something similar but with quality construction. We have a short, sloped driveway so I couldn't take any chances on things getting past the fence! To my delight I found the kidcatcher. It uses tension at the bottom and top of the fence to catch both kids and balls! I liken the construction to that of a volleyball fence. Very durable product. I would highly recommend it since it's made better and costs about the same!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 25, 2004
I love this product ! My twins like to ride their tricycles in the driveway. Not all of our neighbors watch out for kids playing near the street. The Driveway Guard stops the children from riding out into the street and also stops their balls from rolling out of the yard ! When my husband comes home from work, we retract the net to let him in the drive. It works great !
on June 21, 2011
It is a good product. We have been using for a month now on a daily basis. I few things I will mention about the product:
1. When reviewing which one we wanted, the 25' or the 18', I am glad we went with the 25'. It does not extend fully to 25' but closer to 21 or 22.
2. Be cautious when rolling up, I can see how other reviewers could break retactable springs. You cannot just let it go, you need to carefully have it roll back up.
3. The top does sag after repeated use. I knew this coming in based on our friends have one. When planning the location, I put it close to our lamp post if I need to use a bungee cord in the future to pull it tight.
4. IMPORTANT - the black is very hard to see. It is not like the mesh on a snow fence, rather a very fine mesh. We use a bright orange cone which has helped people not trip over it or drive into it.

It keeps my 2 year old away from the street and her toys away from rolling down the driveway.
on September 24, 2010
I guess if it's just used to keep cars from coming in, or balls from rolling into the street it's good enough. However, it's really cheap. The black fence part is insanely thin, I'd say the material is similar to that a bag of potatoes or lemons come in...except this is even more thin.

It also sags, like it's been stretched out even when it's brand new. I'm pretty disappointed with the purchase. I doubt it would hurt them to upgrade the material. I plan to do that. Now that I have the retractable unit, I'll buy something that's thicker and try to get this junk replaced.

If you're expecting a kid to run into this and be safe, don't. I'm using it to confine my dogs within my side yard. There's absolutely no way I'd call this "Kid Safe", but to catch balls and keep cars from coming in, it'll do. It's so saggy though, if the ball bounces you're screwed.

It may be 36" tall when it's actually erect, but it's more like a limp 24". :D
on September 11, 2012
I had definite reservations about ordering this product after reaading the mixed reviews. But I have a 15 month old and a yard that is entirely fenced except for the driveway, so I needed a product that would block her from running down the driveway and into the neighbors' yards or the street. There was nothing else on the market like this that rated even close to as well, so I took a chance on the 25 foot orange driveway guard. And...I really like it! It does exactly what it advertises: It creates a barrier that keeps my baby from wandering down the driveway. It's easily visible both to my kids and to cars pulling into the driveway. My toddler is young enough that she hasn't tried to crawl under it or push against it until it stretched down to the ground (which it could, if a determined child were trying). The ground pegs are flush with the ground, so running the lawn mower over them isn't a problem either. So for me, it is the perfect solution.

I also haven't had any problems with retracting it or with it sagging too much. I have learned a few tricks that help with this: 1) If you slide the netting all the way down to the bottom of the pole when you retract, and 2) you hold the pole slightly diagonal rather than straight up and down, it retracts perfectly--no jumbling up and no getting too much netting at the top of the retracted area. Then after you pull the netting back out and put the pole in the ground peg, slide the netting back up to the top of the pole and it will be much more taut. It does sag a little, but not much. Certainly not enough for my child to feel tempted to reach up and pull that part down. You can also install the ground pegs angled slightly away from each other rather than exactly vertical, and this will help keep the net taut too.

I will say that installing this device was a royal pain. That's why I give it 4 stars. The plastic PVC pipes they give you to go in the ground are very blunt and VERY hard to get into the ground. I hammered and pounded as hard as I could with a mallet and just couldn't get them more than a few inches in, even in soft, moist soil. I also feared they might bend after the guard's metal rods were pushing against them for a while. So I finally went to the hardware store and got lead pipes the exact length and diameter. These went into the ground WAY easier and are much more sturdy. I don't anticipate any problems with them staying sturdy all summer.

Overall, I think this is a great product. A retractable fence out of something more sturdy and less able to be pulled down would be great. But since there isn't anything on the market like that right now that I could find, this is a great alternative. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone who wanted a light, easily retractible barrier (other than recommending they get the lead pipes instead of the included PVC ones).
on August 16, 2005
The product was a little flimsy. It also does not retract well.
on September 20, 2008
There were a number of negative reviews on this product, but I couldn't find anything else that met our needs so I decided to give it a try. All in all it has been effective for what we needed it to do which was to prevent our two young girls from going beyond our driveway and for keeping play balls in the yard.

Pros:

Great color. Visible for us, the kids and other people so they know our kids are out playing.

Easy to set up. You insert two tubes at either end of the drive for the gate to fit into. Took all of 5 minutes with a hammer. Easy.

Quick. The gate goes easily into the tubes and sets up in 45 seconds.

Effective. If you mount it low to the ground (not sure how the other reviewer set it up so that balls would roll under it. this isn't really possible) it will keep your kids in your driveway.

Cons:

It doesn't always completely retract back into the tube. If you spend more time fiddling with it you can get it to fully retract, but who has time for that? I just retract it as far as it easily goes and then roll up the rest around the unit. Not great, but it works.

It is also not a beefy set up. Kids can't lean on it. Your kids could break it if they run into it hard with their bike, and it is low enough that a ball with any bounce can go over it. But again, it depends on what you need.

For the price it did what we needed it to do this summer.
on July 12, 2010
A good product, especially for the length --hard to find. I wish it where a little more ridgid when expanded out all the way, but otherwise it's fine. I use it for a dog fence and seems to work so far.

See 1 answered question