5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect shower gift

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed
Published on August 18, 2012 by momma4

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, August 18, 2012
This review is from: Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill (Baby Product)
I bought a kidco food mill in 2005 with my first and i loved it. It lasted through 3 kids and is quite worn out. I bought this one to replace it and was disappointed with it. Kidco changed the shape of it from circle to ovalish and the gadget doesnt grind all the food. It smashes the last half inch or so of food so it doesnt get gound up. I think the shape made it harder to get the food out compared to the older model. The only thing that i liked about this one was that the shaft of the mill had a grip hold.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible food grinder, August 5, 2012
This review is from: Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill (Baby Product)
This baby food grinder did not work at all. It squished out some liquid and left the food just smashed. Just a piece of junk. I know it was inexpensive but why sell it at all if it does not work.

2.0 out of 5 stars Useful EDIT: Less useful, April 25, 2012
This review is from: Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill (Baby Product)
I bought a Kidco food Mill in 2008. It was of limited use during my daughter's first year of life because the texture of the food produced was not 100% smooth. I had to puree larger batches of food to get the consistency that she preferred. Turns out that at four years of age my daughter is still texture sensitive, so I grind a lot of her food. I've used the same Kidco food mill for the last four years.
Pros: 1)Durable (four years and counting)
2)Can grind super small batches of food
3)Effective when you use the "work arounds" (see below)
Cons and "work arounds":
1)Difficult to grind foods that are not super soft--Work around is to push on the upper section with my feet (no shoes)while turning the crank. Using this method, this food mill grinds almost anything
2)Leaves about 1/4 inch of food at the bottom--Work around is to add 1/4 inch of food underneath whatever premium food you are grinding (for example today I placed a quarter inch of sunflower seeds underneath the spinach I was grinding so that all of the spinach made it through the food grate)

EDIT 2013: My old one molded--my fault. I bought a new one, and it no longer has the lip around the bottom edge of the part that you push down (as seen in current photo). I can no longer use my first work around, so it's only good with super soft food that I could mash with a fork. Bummer!! It's no longer useful to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed with the quality, November 24, 2013
This review is from: Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill (Baby Product)
I was disappointed with the quality, it did not grind the food very well. It handle more like toy. I definitely would not recommend it to anyone.

1.0 out of 5 stars A Food Grinder that Doesn't Grind, July 17, 2014
DesertGirl 50 (So California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill (Baby Product)
Purchased this to use for my grandson's visits. I had another grinder which I had given to my daughter, and decided I wanted one for 'grandma's house' as well. The one I'd purchased previously (from another site in Canada) wasn't currently available, so I went with the Kidco one. I've used other Kidco products, and hadn't had any real problems - until now. A couple of the reviews mentioned that the ground food wasn't as smooth as they'd like, but this didn't really concern me, so I ordered the unit. The big problem is the fact that the bottom portion of the unit which acts the plunger, pushing to food towards the grinding blade, stops about 1/3 of an inch below the blade! This means that anything that really needs to be ground up gets pushed into this last 1/3 inch and NEVER REACHES THE BLADE. You end up with a compressed patty of whatever you're trying to grind.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very small and doesn't really get food to the right ..., July 7, 2014
This review is from: Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill (Baby Product)
Very small and doesn't really get food to the right consistency for babies. Might work well as a travel item.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good., December 21, 2013
This review is from: Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill (Baby Product)
Not all the food gets pushed up through the blades.
Other wise, perfect for home and on the go. Easy to wash.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect shower gift, September 22, 2013
This review is from: Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill (Baby Product)
I love these grinders! I loved using them when I had babies, and now I love giving them away as shower gifts. These are my GO TO ITEM when I'm ordering from Amazon, and am short the free shipping total. I get 1 or 2, use the free shipping and always have one or more on hand in my "baby shower gift" BOX. Where I live I can seldom find them in the stores. Having them delivered for free, and not having to GO SHOPPING is a bonus. I often get home made baby blankets from thrift stores for almost nothing and give a blanket and a grinder and it is an EXCELLENT gift. Especially since I don't knit, or sew, or crochet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be all natural, August 26, 2013
Joanne Newman (Stow, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill (Baby Product)
Had this when by kids were little - 40 years ago - and love giving it as a gift to new moms

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, June 29, 2013
This review is from: Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill (Baby Product)
This works well and is easy to clean, plus has a travel lid. I bought this for my daughter. I believe the one I used for her 30 years ago was just slightly better, It was a "Happy Baby" brand and I used to buy one for every new mother I knew. It might get a little easier to use after it gets more use.

Kidco Baby Steps Food Mill