4.0 out of 5 stars It's good but... buyer read the manual first!!!
The tamper resistant feature is nice, if you have kids, but who reads the manual first?

Published on December 5, 2008 by KaufmanD

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, but bigger than expected
These CO1 detectors are easy to set up and plug in, but I wish they were a little smaller. They pretty much take up the whole area around whatever outlet you choose to plug them into.
Published 19 months ago by James

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good but... buyer read the manual first!!!, December 5, 2008
This review is from: Kidde 900-0235 Nighthawk Carbon Monoxide Alarm, Long Life AC Powered with Battery Backup (Tools & Home Improvement)

I figured it to be "plug and play" but after I installed the battery and did NOT plug it into a wall outlet, the alarm went off like it was doomsday. First gut reaction was, it's detecting CO in the house!!!? Second gut reaction, too big of a coincidence. So I returned it and got a replacement. This time I put in the battery and luckily plugged it in before the two minute countdown. Unknown to me, as soon as you insert the backup battery you have 2 minutes to plug the unit in a wall outlet before the alarm goes off.

Late in the evening, after plugging it in, I wanted to put it in another room and all "heck" broke loose (85db) before I figured out that the little switch on the back had to be pressed before it would stop and NOT the big test button on the front. Another note I would like to point out... it sounds identical to a fire alarm. Personally, I wished it would have it's own unique sound so there would be no confusion whether it's a fire in the house or the Nighthawk detecting Carbon Monoxide. All in all, the detector seems solid although the test button is "funky." Consumer Research gave it very good ratings and the lil green light tells me it on - so I'm confident about this purchase.

Note: I'm good at hooking up home theater systems and calibrating HDTVs without referring back to the manual. So plugging in this CO detector turned into a lesson of humility for me. So please read the manual first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely read the manual first, in its entirety, March 9, 2011
I'm glad I read the reviews before purchasing. I knew to anticipate there was a countdown between when you put the battery in and when it starts blaring. I also knew you could disable the tamper feature, otherwise you can never unplug this (to move it to a different outlet) without it going off at an ear-piercing decibel level. I wore ear plugs while setting this up, just in case, but it never inadvertently went off on me. I also suggest wearing ear plugs when you test your unit. It's very loud, even with ear plugs in. I imagine it would hurt your ears if you weren't prepared.

I've had no problems with it over the last few weeks. It's great that this unit is supposed to last 7 years. My old one only lasted two years and it was about the same price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, November 13, 2010
As I replaced my smoke detectors I thought it would be wise to replace my co2 detectors as well. I found the 900-0235 to be a good value and easy to set-up. I have 3 plugged in and after 2 weeks and am pleased. Does not get any more dull than this which is exactly what I expect with a product like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great detector, reasonable price, keeps you safe, February 4, 2013
We really like these detectors - we have three of them (one in the basement and one in each of two bedrooms) and one with a readout in the living area (also Kidde Nighthawk). Though we love the one with the readout, because you can actually see numbers and know when something is not right at a lower level so you can fix it (our propane oven was producing small amounts of CO!), these are an economical alternative for areas like bedrooms where you just need to know to get out!

Now - don't do what I did - unpack all the detectors, put all the batteries in, then go around and plug them in. They will go off and man they are LOUD! Do them one at a time, right by the outlet you're going to plug it into. They're designed to go off when unplugged, so you know when they've become unplugged - there's a post on the back you can press in to stop the noise, but once the internal battery runs out (48+ hrs in my experience), they will also go off.

This is a GREAT safety design - because you want to know they have power and are working.

If you're looking for one with numbers - I can highly recommend the Kidde Nighthawk with digital display - http://www.amazon.com/Kidde-900-0234-Nighthawk-Monoxide-Powered/dp/B001LF2L0U/ref=sr_1_15?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1359991390&sr=1-15&keywords=Co+detector - we love that detector and it's nice to have one with numbers so you can move it around if you're having trouble with detectors going off.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the back of the device, not just the manual, December 3, 2011
I figured I had this set because I'd read the reviews and knew to read the manual before putting the battery in. However, the manual said NOTHING about the unit beeping when you unplugged it, or how to turn off the tamper resistant feature. That was all written on the back of the device, which I found out while I was having my ears blasted out trying to figure out where this magical switch was that the other reviews had referenced.

So, don't just read the manual--read the back of the device!

Other than that, the light is on and it looks to be working. I know the alarm works. :) I hope I'll never have to hear it for real of course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tester, November 25, 2011
Great product, well made and can be counted on to do the job. Plus the price was right at the time I needed the item!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars No complaints here, September 12, 2012
I bought this for the upstairs hallway, in between the bedrooms, and so far have had no issues with it. Thanks to other reviews, I still have my hearing after installation. It's small enough where it doesn't cover both outlets, which is beneficial, since we have a nighlight on the other outlet. This particular unit has been rated pretty high by many, which goes a long way for a product intended to keep you safe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, September 28, 2011
First of all, thanks to the previous reviewers! I got the detector today and I switched the tamper button, inserted the battery and plugged it in right away. I tested it out and does beep 4 (or 5 times?) properly. Everything seems fine, I just hope it lasts a good 7 years. We'll see. Great price and good product.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine carbon monoxide detector, February 13, 2011
This is a perfectly functional device. You only have 30 seconds to plug it into the wall after you put the battery in. A tid bit that we got from googling. It is working just fine now. Came fast too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple CO detector, December 27, 2009
I bought two of these for my home. Both came with good batteries and appear to be working; that is, a green light is on and I'm still conscious. I believe that means there's not enough CO to fret about.

Check out the other model (900-0234) if you want a digital readout telling you exactly how much CO is in the air. I considered that model, but decided the readout wasn't worth the price difference. Also, I don't think I would actually look at the detector unless an alarm was going off. At that point, it's time to get out regardless of the number on the readout. For me, this simple detector does everything I need it to do - sniff quietly in the background and beep loudly when I need to leave.