4.0 out of 5 stars Replaces Firex 120-1072B Unit And Adds Improvements Too
My home was built in 2001, and it was equipped with Firex 120-1072B units in each room wired for interconnectivity. One of my units began to sound randomly even when there was no fire. I tried changing the battery, but I still had the same results. So after searching online, I found that the Kidde i4618 is the current replacement model.

After purchasing the...
Published on January 16, 2010 by Philip R. Heath

1.0 out of 5 stars Fire department out 6 times because of these things.
We remodeled our house 3 years ago. We have 11 of these smoke alarms connected to our ADT alarm system. We have had the fire department out 6 times because of false positives (we are on vacation) and have been awakened well over 15 times because these have false positives.

Published on December 5, 2011 by Kristin Hart

4.0 out of 5 stars Replaces Firex 120-1072B Unit And Adds Improvements Too, January 16, 2010
This review is from: Kidde i4618 Firex Hardwire Ionization Smoke Detector with Battery Backup (Tools & Home Improvement)

After purchasing the model, I was hoping that I could use an adapter between the wiring in my Firex unit and the Kidde. However, I found that I was mistaken in what I thought I had read. I am about as unhandy a man as they come, and I really wasn't looking forward to rewiring for the new unit. The hardest part of the process turned out finding the correct breaker as mine are not labeled. At least for my house (please know that yours may well be different), the smoke detectors were on a dedicated breaker. Once I found it and switched it off, it was very easy from there. I removed the two screws from the bracket of the Firex unit and then uncapped the wires. The Firex wires were easy to remove. I rewired black, white, and red as indicated and put the yellow caps back on to cover the wires. Then it was a simple matter of screwing in the new mount, connecting the wire, and twisting the Kidde unit into place. Once I flipped the breaker back on, everything was back to normal.

There is one nice thing on these new units. The battery door is on the face of the unit rather than the back. The old Firex unit has the battery in the back, and it was a pain to replace the battery. Another nice improvement of the Firex unit is the power connector is much easier to plug and unplug without being insecure.

So if this is the replacement for your old Firex smoke alarm, don't hesitate to get this one from Kidde. I'm pleased with the results, and I think you will be too. Please feel free to ask questions in the comments section below.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Detector but I'd buy the 21007582 instead, January 1, 2011
If you're looking to replace existing FireX detectors, I'd buy the i4618 detector in the Item 21007582 pack vice the 21007581 pack because it comes with the FireX to Kidde adapter KA-F. This makes your replacement a simple install and you don't have to disconnect any wires.

All in all the "hush" button and easy install make this a thumbs up from me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fire department out 6 times because of these things., December 5, 2011
Kristin Hart (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews

1) Initially, they went off because they were too close to furnaces outputs. Mild shaking or subtle heat change set them off. We had to move two of them after months of trying to figure out the issue. Worth noting, we had other alarms in the same spot before the remodel without issue (but those weren't hooked to our alarm system).

2) 3 years after purchase the units are just dying. We have already replaced 3 of them. Before they die, you guessed it. Full alarms 3 a.m.

3) One more problem with the alarms is that the batteries die out quickly. We change ours every 5 months on the mark.

4) The MOST annoying problem however is that it is impossible to tell which alarm is dying or out of batteries. Only our ADT panel chirps. To find out if one is dying you have to go under each alarm, wait for a red flash and then count to 40. If it flashes before 40 seconds, you need to replace the battery (or it is a dud alarm). We have 11 of these things. BUT even if you have 5, you don't want to waste the time standing under them counting to 40. These have really a DUMB battery notification system. Terrible.

We are replacing them all soon. We (and our fire department) have had enough. Seriously. Who wants to worry and deal with this stuff. Not me.

2.0 out of 5 stars sleepless in Santa Cruz, November 9, 2011
I have nine of the little darlings (Kidde i418 - 5 upstairs and 4 on the main floor) and they just love to talk to each other. Usually at 3 inna morning! One goes off, and because they are all interconnected, then they all go off for maybe 10 seconds, and then they stop! Aaaaggghhhh! Those little signal lights - useless! The green flash at sunset in the Pacific Ocean is easier to find than these miserable little lights. So I go up on the ladder (nine foot ceilings so the hush button is as useless as the little signal lights, i mean from those heights you can only reach it from the floor with a framing hammer....not a bad idea, as it turns out) with the air sprayer from my handy dandy computer cleaning kit and about the third detector i blow out a smallish spider. ok, no prob for two months. Now it is mid-morning on a bright sunny day and all the detectors go off (this is one hell of a racket by the way, there are dead persons now running around in my back yard after the last smoke detector event) and on a bright sunny day the useless little signal lights are also invisible rendering so they are redundantly useless, but now I know the trick, out with the ladder, up with the air can and sure enough, schmutz (a smoke detector technical term) comes flying out of the 4th or 5th detector i cleaned. Silence for about 6 weeks. Yet again, more SD noise. This latest event was about midnight. I figured out that the offending Smoke was once again one of the upstairs ones, so i disconnected all of them and have enjoyed silence for months! I suppose i need a smoke detecting system upstairs, but I surely am NOT going to buy one of those crappy Kidde's!! My REM quotient and Heart couldn't take it. By the way, yes i change the batteries every year, and when i have these repeated false alarms, swap out the batteries just in case. This is Kidde's miserable wretched SD, not a maintenance issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install and gives great peace of mind, October 8, 2010
p-51 "p-51" (CO United States) - See all my reviews
We moved into a house that was built back in 1985. Along with a multitude of other little fixes and updates that needed doing, I noticed that the upstairs smoke detector was looking a little loose on the ceiling. Upon giving it a twist, the bracket broke, and the detector subsequently hung in a jaunty, festive way from just the wires. And I noticed that this was the ORIGINAL smoke detector, dated from 1985. Okay, there's another thing needing replaced.

Installation was a breeze - cut the power, pull the old one, match the correct wires on the harness (white/white, black/black, red/red), screw in the new mounting bracket, plug it in, lock it in place, turn the power back on.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ / BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

Oops! The 2010 model smoke detector didn't want to play well with the other 1985 smoke detector that I hadn't even noticed downstairs, and they were both going off simultaneously. Okay, swap that one out too, and... blissful silence, and a comforting green light shines from each one.

Trust me: if I could install this, ANYONE can install this. I can't even hammer a nail straight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kidde Linked Detectors, February 1, 2010
I purchased 5 of the detectors to replace ones in my home that were 10 years old. The installation process took about 5 minutes to install a new wiring harness and mounting plate. Each one went in extremely easily. I like the feature of this detector that has the battery accessible without having to take the detector off the ceiling. I would definitely recommend this product for anyone replacing a wired plus battery group in their home.

1.0 out of 5 stars False Alarm Rate Not Worth The Safety, February 26, 2012
We recently bought a home where these were installed before the purchase.

Within the first week, we had to remove two in the main hallway. We could not cook even the simplest meal without these two alarms going off, and one of them is 30 feet away and around the hallway corner from the stove.

Last night one randomly went off at 4:30 am.

We plan to replace all of them with a better performing brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Sensitive to ???????, July 22, 2013
ALWAYS, ALWAYS starts beeping in the middle of the night. Loud, every 30 seconds beeping that battery changes do not fix. Other alarms we have had send out an occasional warning that battery is getting low, but this one goes into full loud beeping every 30 seconds immediately. And battery changes more often than not do not stop the beeping. Why always in the middle of the night???

It has also gone into full alarm mode several times with absolutely no signs of fire.

Often, battery changes have to be followed with a vacuuming, both must be done to stop the beeping. Not exactly fun, since it always starts in the wee hours of the morning. Again, why always in the middle of the night??

Ultrasensitive sensors?? Malfunctioning sensors??

I will not replace with this brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars False Alarms Galore!, November 5, 2011
Bought this alarm as a replacement for another Firex alarm that went bad after 9 years. Have had this one only 10 months and keep getting false alarms over and over. Middle of the night sometimes. Piece of junk! You certainly get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars just what I needed and wanted, November 12, 2009
I had to replace smoke dectors that were more than 10 years old; I needed ones that would work with the orginal purchase without making electrical changes. The printed descriptions helped me make the right choice. I had my electrican install and test them and they are working.

I am impressed because the two large home improvement stores didn't have the model I needed in stock; one couldn't guarantee a delivery date. The prices offered were competitve; thank you Amazon.com

Kidde i4618 Firex Hardwire Ionization Smoke Detector with Battery Backup
$19.74 $12.38
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.
Rate and Discover Movies