Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kidde KN-COB-B-LPM Carbon Monoxide Alarm
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Size: 1 Pack|Color: White|Change

on July 12, 2013
We rent, and this is the exact unit in our apartment. Woke up in the middle of the night to it going off (didn't know what the sound was at first). Turned it off and opened up our windows. I wasn't feeling well, but I thought I was just getting sick (I hadn't been feeling well for a few days).

That morning (a few hours later) I decided I didn't want to just ignore the alarm, so I called the local gas company. They were out within minutes and found the leak- our heater (which wasn't even being used) was leaking CO. They shut off our heater (the pilot light was on) and we've called our landlord. We were lucky to only have gotten a headache (hubby) and feeling feverish (me). It could have been much worse. And thankfully our pets were okay too.
22 comments|84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2013
This was easy to set up and install. I am glad that I did not buy another corded model, because this battery operated one can be installed in the best place for detection, not the best place for power. It the sensors in all these CO detectors have a definite life span, 5 years or so, and the other advantage of this model is it will not be nearly as expensive to own over its lifespan compared with the corded models.

While this one does not have the bells and whistles such as an LED panel to indicate CO levels and to remind you that it is functioning, it will alarm as soon as CO levels reach harmful levels, and it has a small green led that flashes every 30 seconds to inform you that it is operating and functioning properly.

After owning two other CO detectors I would recommend that one simply figure out a way to remind yourself to routinely replace these at the 5 year life span point, because when they finally wear out they alarm.

Our first one did so while we were gone and not knowing what was happening when we returned and found it alarming we were told by the gas company to stay out of the home and call the fire department. Our whole community volunteer fire department arrived. They donned their respirator masks and marched quick time, into our home with their axes in port arms position! Though they were going to start demolishing the place (they looked ready, willing, and very able to).

What nice Saturday night entertainment for the neighborhood.

We learned from the Fire Chief that CO detectors just wear out and that our house was safe to occupy.

The second CO detector "wore out" in the middle of the night. It was during the summer so I knew that it wasn't our gas furnace that had gone faulty, etc., but what a way to be awakened.

I wrote the five year from purchase date right on the cover of this one so I know when to replace it.

Recommend this model and feel that every home should have one of these as well as smoke alarms. A small price to pay to avoid asphyxiation.
on July 21, 2011
Not sure what the prior reviewer was talking about. This unit has a sleek low profile design and appears to work flawlessly right out of the box. Significantly better looking than traditional round designs. No issues with false alarming in my months of use.
on May 20, 2014
This past winter I put a pellet stove insert in my living room fireplace, from there, I knew I needed/wanted a dedicated CO detector.

I found that the CO that would come from the stove would be blown out the blower, thus mixing with the air in the room, and not sticking low to the ground, so a pluggable wall unit wasn't the best option.
I was a bit upset in the beginning that I would have to mount this in the middle of my wall, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter, given the safety of my family. So when I received this item, I mounted it right under my thermostat and was pleasantly surprised with how well it blends in.

Install was a piece of cake and mounting wasn't an issue. I tested it once I opened the packaging (pressing the large button puts it in 'test' mode) and the chirps are extremely loud and there's a voice that tells you exactly what's going on.
WHEN TESTING: Before you press that center button, either cover the speaker area with your hand or press the item into your shirt. The speaker is extremely loud, it will definitely wake my family up in the middle of the night or alert us without any issues during the day.

I'd imagine that when the batteries are low, this item will work like any of their other Kiddie Products I own. Hopefully it will start to chirp, but I've had this on the wall for 6+ months and it's still running on the same batteries.
on December 29, 2012
If you do not have a Carbon Monoxide Detector/Alarm in your home I don't know what you are waiting for.This particular one works just fine right out of the box. Had it up and doing it's job in minutes. You don't need a lot of extra, useless features with these alarms you just need one that you trust, and I trust this one. Buy it now and keep your family safe!
on February 7, 2014
Just received this and am very happy with the product. I like it's small size and the fact that you don't have to mount it on a wall if you don't want. I have a high dresser and it sits nicely on that and is almost as high as it would be if I mounted it. Hopefully I won't ever hear it go off.
on February 2, 2013
This is a very easy to use item right out of the box. Its simple design makes it easy to read and it's ready to go. The wall mounting was very easy to do and the nice design blends in. This replaces the older, plug-in model that came with our home, and with the battery operation, you get peace of mind when the power goes out. We plan on getting more for our home.
on January 1, 2014
This device is installed in my motor home to replace a more expensive model that never did work right. At the slightest hint of co, it wakes the dead! we had a crack develop at the joint where the wall meets the floor, this is where the generator is mounted. It warned us and the leak was repaired. Good purchase!
on April 15, 2014
A new law required us to install CO alarms when we did some remodeling in our house. This Kiddie CO alarm was approved by our building inspector and it can be placed on a bookshelf or mounted on a wall, many choices.
on June 1, 2014
Small, inconspicuous and works like a charm. An excellent purchase and now that these are required in households (at least in the northwest) this one does the trick at a reasonable price. Would recommend.