5.0 out of 5 stars Every floor of your house should have one!
One reviewer questioned if these really work... YES they do! I had a new furnace installed recently, and the installers made a mistake. Without detectors in the house I might never have known, and my family could have suffered greatly (ie somebody could have become ill or even died!).
We had had them for years and they ALWAYS read 0. When we started seeing it...
Published on December 11, 2000

Published on November 20, 2012 by Jim Burnett

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning! Check the date on your unit if you bought it from Amazon, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Kidde KN-COPP-3 Nighthawk Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Battery Backup and Digital Display (Tools & Home Improvement)
Word of warning! We purchased 3 of these units from Amazon a year ago, and one failed recently. (The digital display showed an "err" message, which indicates the unit is not working, often because it has reached the end of its life.) The unit has a 5 year warranty and 5 year expected use life, so I called Kidde customer support. Their representative was very helpful and asked me to check the date of manufacture on the back of the unit. I did, and was dismayed to find a unit I purchased from Amazon in Oct. 2011 was manufactured in Feb. 2005! It was therefore way past it's expected use period - and out of warranty.

Kudos to Kidde customer support. Even though the unit was out of warranty, and the company was therefore not legally responsible for the problem, their rep. asked if I had the purchase receipt. When I said "yes" she said they would send me a replacement unit. She also commented they have had problems with Amazon shipping such items that were already past their 5 year service life when they were sold.

We buy a lot of items from Amazon, so this was disappointing news. Although I can't confirm if the sale of "expired" merchandise is the fault of Amazon or their supplier, this was a lesson learned. Two of the three such units we bought from Amazon were current products. If you buy one of these units from Amazon (or elsewhere) my advice would be the check the sticker on the back of the unit as soon as you receive it, and verify that the manufacture date is reasonably current.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every floor of your house should have one!, December 11, 2000
By A Customer
We had had them for years and they ALWAYS read 0. When we started seeing it detect CO we knew we had a problem. Occasional low readings (such as near your kitchen on Thanksgiving if you have a gas stove) are ok, but any consistant reading is cause for real concern particularly if it is away from any known source of CO (stove, fireplace, etc).
I strongly reccomend folks place a detector on each occupied level of your home. If something happens you may very well get different readings on different levels (I did).
When selecting a CO detector be sure to pick an electornic one with a digital readout. They cost more, but are well worth it. The only maintenance with a unit like this one is replacing the backup battery. (BTW, a backup battery is a really good idea. Each year many folks die because they used various types of gas heating devices during power outages with inadequate ventalation.) Also, the digital readout will help track down problems envolving lower levels of CO and may give you earlier warning of a malfunctioning heating system.
Finally, this particular unit has an advantage in that it can be placed directly over an outlet, or the included power cord can be used to allow higher wall mounting or placement on a table/shelf/etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Battery problem solved, January 15, 2006
T. Jones "tdjstl" (Wildwood, Mo United States) - See all my reviews
I also had a problem with my two detectors using up the batteries in one to two months time. But I called Kidde customer service and after I gave them the model no and assembly dates from the back of the units, they confirmed that these models were defective. Apparently there is a faulty circuit that triggers the low battery indicator prematurely. So the batteries are actually not worn down completely. The problem is with the sensor that reads the battery levels. Kidde sent me two new detectors. They are working fine so far. I will know more after a couple months. If you have this problem, call Kidde customer service and they should take care of you.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Alarm providing great feeling of safety, March 26, 2000
By A Customer
This alarm seems to be everything it claims to be. Initially plugged it in my garage until I brought it inside. The alarm went off when the garage door was closed too soon after our car was pulled out. I bought this before I read a great review on this product in Consumers Reports. This is a great product

1.0 out of 5 stars False Alarms, May 31, 2008
This is the third Kidde Nighthawk that we've owned and all have exhibited the same behavior - after a little more than a year they produce a false alarm in the dead of night. How do we know the alarms are false? First, the alarm isn't continuous. The unit sounds long enough to get us out of bed and get our hearts pounding and then stops. Second, the display reads 0 ppm CO. Third, when we check the peak level of CO it is always below the threshold level where CO would be a concern. I have tried replacing the battery even though "LB" is not displayed. The result is the same behavior and frustration a week or two later. Our first two units were the combined CO and explosive gases units which others have noted are problematic. However, we have had the same problem with this unit (CO only). Interestingly, the alarm usually sounds in the summer when we have the AC on, rather than when we are heating the house with natural gas. I'm wondering if others have had this problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars long lasting and able to detect levels as low as 11 ppm, February 21, 2006
This is probably the best CO detector on the market. It will last you 7 years - the cheaper non-digital detectors will only last 2 years and will end up costing you much more money in the long run.

The best feature is the peak level dectector which will allow you to monitor carbon monixide levels as low as 11 ppm (the alarm will go off if ppms excede 50). There are some reports and studies that show that a constant exposure to low level carbon monoxide gas can cause long term health problems - so this is a handy way to check different parts of your house for this.

I am suprised at the Amazon price for this. I got this at Home Depot in West Roxbury MA for $49.00.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Carbon Monoxide on the market., July 25, 2000
canaduck "canaduck" (The Great White North) - See all my reviews
I got this to protect my family and myself from any potential CO hazards. We have gas heat, fireplace, and stove. We had a cheaper model with those stupid cartridges. One day it went off and my wife called the police to ask what to do. Within 5 minutes, there were 3 police cars, 2 fire trucks, a rescue truck, and 20 firemen, paramedics, and police officers at the house. The neighbors all came out and the police had to direct traffic around all the vehicles parked in front of the house.
It was a false alarm, the cartridge was old and became saturated with CO over a long period of time (a common problem). Worse yet, the replacement cartridge cost almost as much money as a new unit. What a waste of money.
This one has a nice digital display and doesn't need a replaceable cartridge. I bought one for my parents to.
Get a CO detectors. The added security is well worth the money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Battery Problems Make This Worthless, September 30, 2011
I bought this alarm for my upstairs. I have had it for almost 3 years, now, but I don't use it because of the problem described below and by so many other unsatisfied customers. The downstairs already has a Kidde model KN-COB-B that has worked great for years on battery. No outlet power is necessary.

As has been mentioned by so many one-star customers, this alarm has an atrocious problem with low battery voltage detection. My experience is that I have never had a new battery in it for more than a week before its low battery detection alarm goes off. It's too much of a hassle to plug it in and then wonder as I'm going to sleep whether I'll be startled in the middle of the night by this alarm's ominously high dB beeps indicating certain death only to find out that it's screaming bloody murder because the manufacturer put in a faulty back-up battery low voltage detector.

I'd also like to respond to a couple reviews. First, one of the reviews mentions to just go to Kidde customer service if you have this problem and they'll send you one that works. No, the answer is to buy a product that works in the first place. There are so many others that work (see above, or peruse Amazon's selection) and don't have this problem.

The second reviewer I'd like to respond to is the one who claims this alarm will detect down to 11 ppm. That is incorrect according to the manufacturer's own datasheet. Here's a quote: "The display will identify the levels of CO in parts per million (ppm) once that level reaches 30ppm". Here's another one: "In accordance with UL 2034, the CO sensor will not alarm to levels of CO below 30 ppm".

Hope this helps. Good luck!

4.0 out of 5 stars The battery problem can be fixed., December 28, 2006
My unit was eating batteries, too.

Called Kidde and they got me a replacement.

5.0 out of 5 stars CO Detector False Alarms, January 14, 2001
I have had this detector for a few years and it has worked flawlessly. I have always had very low CO readings in my house since it is 75 years old now. Recently, my wife while in the house, was talking on her Cellular Phone, and walked within 5 feet of this detector, and it set off the detector and caused the detector to generate false readings from the radiation that the Cell Phone was producing. She actually saw the display, displaying a series of random numbers, as she was talking on her cellular phone. We also have 900MHz cordless phones in the house and these do not appear to affect the detector.