5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be a quality product
Published on August 30, 2011 by G. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad CMA Design
There is no doubt that short and long term Carbon Monoxide exposure can cause brain damage and/or death.

Published on February 23, 2012 by Dr. Rich B

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to be a quality product, August 30, 2011
This review is from: Kidde KN-COPP-B-LPM Battery-Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Display (Tools & Home Improvement)
I did a lot of reading on all the different type of CO1 detectors offered here on Amazon. I chose this model not only for my own home, but also for the customers I install CO1 units into their homes (I'm a contractor). This is not the cheapest model available and the same company makes one without the digital readout which is less expensive, but I believe it's worth the extra money to have the readout. That way, I feel that if there is a problem, it may be caught sooner than later if the amount of emissions are listed. This unit is guaranteed to last seven years as opposed to the other model without the readout at five years. It's one place I would not want to cut corners. I also prefer the types that are mounted at eye level and not into an outlet.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to use, and good bang for your buck, June 17, 2011
Kyle David (Minnetonka, MN) - See all my reviews
This is a very convenient unit to install and figure out. I like the digital display because you can see the CO levels and can get a sense of any issues by simply glancing at the unit when walking by. I liked that it came with brand name batteries too, when I was looking at my local hardware store some of the units had generic batteries. The reason I bought a Kidde is the built in functionality. I had a smoke alarm of theirs that was acting funny, beeping every 30 seconds, so I pulled it down and right on the back it listed what each beep sequence meant (no having to hunt for a manual, or search online). This unit acts in the same manner, it's even supposed to alert me in 7 years when it is time to replace the unit, how cool is that?

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped Save My Life, February 12, 2013
I ordered this to verify one (another brand CO detector with meter) I've had went off several weeks ago. The one that I had in the house for more than three years went off and showed around 40 PPM. Since it was over three years old, I thought that it was possibly bad. So I went to Wallmart and bought a cheap CO detector without a meter. I thought I was safe, because the new one never went off. Then I read that it will not alarm until it gets to 50 PPM. I decided to buy this Kidde CO meter. My old CO detector went off again and showed about 30 PPM this time (not as cold outside during this day). I looked at the Kidde and it showed 20PPM (the Kidde alarm did not sound an alarm though). I called 911 and the firemen came to my house and took readings with their meter and showed 19 PPM. They turned off my furnace and the gas. The gas company determined that my forced air gas furnace was blowing CO throughout the house, because the furnace heat ex-changer had holes in it. They said that CO builds up in your body and is potently lethal. I actually feel physically much better now that my furnace is fixed. Sure glad I got the CO detectors WITH a meter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tested with CO in closed container at varying concentrations. Worked very well!, May 6, 2014
With emergency products like CO detectors, it's hard to know if they really work unless you're actually being exposed to dangerous amounts of CO. And if a CO detector doesn't work, you wouldn't know; instead, you'd just be poisoned while thinking that nothing was wrong. The only way to really find out if it works is to put it in an airtight container and generate CO.

Because I like to play with dangerous chemicals at home, I decided to try this out. Adding formic acid to concentrated sulfuric acid causes the formic acid (HCOOH) to break down into CO and H2O. I got both of these chemicals for less than $10/liter apiece, plus shipping. I put some sulfuric acid into a graduated cylinder and placed it in a 1-gallon airtight plastic container. I then added small amounts of diluted formic acid and rapidly closed the container.

Sure enough, it worked! It registered CO concentrations that were well within the ballpark of what I'd expect to get with the amount of formic acid I added (using the ideal gas law to figure out what the maximum CO level would be). In high concentration tests, I found that the alarm goes off within 3 minutes of hitting 500 ppm (which is dangerous but would take several hours to kill, giving plenty of time to get to fresh air). In another test, it went off after about 20 minutes of CO levels around 190 ppm, which is dangerous but not lethal. Its peak reading is in the 910-920 ppm range; it doesn't display levels higher than that. Needless to say, it goes off within a minute or two of such high CO levels and anybody who sees 900+ ppm on the display should leave their house and seek medical help immediately.

It worked well in low concentration tests too. Due to some strange US regulation, it displays "0" for any reading below 30 ppm. If you press the "peak level" button, though, it will tell you what its peak reading was even if it was below 30 ppm. This works down to the 10-15 ppm range, below which you don't really have to worry about CO at all. Prolonged exposure around 50 ppm leads to an alarm after a couple of hours.

Another, simpler test (which anyone with a CO detector should do to make sure it's working) is to light a candle in an enclosed container with the CO detector, then close the container. The candle will burn through the available oxygen and a fair amount of incomplete combustion (releasing CO instead of CO2) will occur as it runs out of O2. I tried this and got 96 ppm with a small candle in my gallon container; a larger candle would probably release more. I then tried it by lighting a crumpled piece of newspaper in the container and got >910 ppm, which is reasonable because paper and wood experience pyrolysis, which releases lots of CO. Combustion of small amounts of acetone (a fairly clean fuel relative to paper) resulted in 300-550 ppm depending on how hot the fire got before I put the lid on; the lower reading relative to paper helps confirm that it's reading accurately.

In conclusion - this $20 detector works very well when tested with real CO. It's accurate, the alarm goes off at dangerous CO levels, it only goes off if CO levels are dangerous, and it might just save your life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad CMA Design, February 23, 2012

A Carbon Monoxide Alarm (CWA)detector is even required in all homes in my state of Pennsylvania and many other as well; yet I know of no one who has one in their home here. So, after getting a new HVAC system I thought the time had come to be the first one on at least my block to break down and get a CMA.

A small number of other Amazon Customers have reported (one star) that their Kidde CMA demonstrated random readings,
Unfortunately, mine did as well.
Readings of 22-29 ppm were always the readings in my house for two days.
I then took it outside for a day and it produced the same readings!
This is not acceptable to me since 22-29 ppm are either definitely problematic or at least close to it, as follows:

[OSHA PEL] The current Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) permissible exposure limit (PEL) for carbon monoxide is 50 parts per million (ppm) parts of air (55 milligrams per cubic meter (mg/m(3))) as an 8-hour time-weighted average (TWA) concentration [29 CFR Table Z-1].

[NIOSH REL] The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has established a recommended exposure limit (REL) for carbon monoxide of 35 ppm (40 mg/m(3)) as an 8-hour TWA and 200 ppm (229 mg/m(3)) as a ceiling [NIOSH 1992]. The NIOSH limit is based on the risk of cardiovascular effects.

[ACGIH TLV] The American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) has assigned carbon monoxide a threshold limit value (TLV) of 25 ppm (29 mg/m(3)) as a TWA for a normal 8-hour workday and a 40-hour workweek [ACGIH 1994, p. 15]. The ACGIH limit is based on the risk of elevated carboxyhemoglobin levels [ACGIH 1].

Therefore, an actual/theoretical (relatively) small leak of 22-29 ppm could be harmful be over time.
But, if readings of 22-29 are this units "zero point" then how would I know?
Why have this unit!? Not good.

So, I sent this "Kidde" back (for free) and exchanged it (Love Amazon!) for a "ProTech 7035 Lithium Battery Powered Carbon Monoxide Detector with Digital Display and Memory". This unit has a safer/lower sensitivity level of 10ppm (Not apparently 30ppm or more.) which, now that I have looked into it, is as low as I can find for under ~$700 or so!

Yes, the ProTech costs twice as much as the original Kidde; but only that...The reason is that it works on a different, more efficient and accurate principle (and is, of course, more expensive) than the Kidde.

At least for me and my family, I look forward to receiving it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, June 9, 2011
I bought this alarm because the description said you could use it on a table top. I wanted to put Carbon Monoxide alarm in the basement near the water heater and furnace but didn't want to go to the trouble of mounting it on a cement wall. This worked great! I just set it on the shelf in the laundry room. Bonus, I can still read the digital display because the screen is big. I have the previous version of this which was round and i think the part number was KN-COPP-B. I kept the box so I could order another one but was happy to find out that they updated it and made it free standing.
I highly recommend this product, and Amazon shipped it in a day. I bought it and the next day I had it in my house working.

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchased 2 of them....., January 2, 2013
and its a good thing. I purchased 2 of these, one for my daughter's room and one for ours. The one in the master bedroom alarmed and was showing a reading of 39. Brought the other unit into same room and it never registered anything. Obviously one of the 2 were faulty. Called the Fire Dept and they did not register any readings while the faulty unit read 31 the other unit also read zero.

This seems like a good piece of mind device, but what kind of piece of mind do you get not knowing if the thing works like its supposed to?

I will be purchasing a higher grade monitor at the nearest home improvement store.

5.0 out of 5 stars EASY TO USE AND INSTALL!, August 29, 2011
This KIDDE KN-COPP-B-LPM BATTERY-OPERATED CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM WITH DIGITAL DISPLAY is an easy way to meet the CO monitoring law. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS carefully. It mounts easily on your wall, and takes you only minutes to install. This DOES NOT have a back-lit display, but can be quickly read in ambient light. The unit will last for seven years. You then MUST replace it with a new unit. I feel that the high-pitched warning sound made by this unit can be heard, even through closed bedroom doors. LED colored status lights are easy to see.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much crap peak level readings, October 30, 2012
I just had PG&E come in to do a complete carbon monoxide inspection since my oven was giving off lots of CO. The inspector came in with a top-of-the-line industrial CO detector. After tuning the oven, we ran some benchmarks. So, after the oven is turned on for several minutes, the ambient reading came up to 17 ppm. In the flue, it was over 200 ppm. We had to go outside until the reading would go back to zero. We ran several more tests, and all came back 17 ppm ambient with the windows closed, etc... The Kidde Nighthawk, however, read zero. Which is to be expected. HOWEVER, when I did a reset on the unit and then checked the peak level, it would always show some random level of 25 to 27. It even does this when I go outside to the street and reset the monitor. I've read other people on here have noticed the same thing. To the credit of the Nighthawk, it did register readings above 30 ppm in my kitchen before the PG&E inspector tuned the oven. Was it accurate? I can't actually say. Although, Consumer Reports have done a lot of tests with it and found it reliable and accurate. So, who knows? What I do know is that for peak level testing below 30 ppm, it is DEFINITELY not accurate at all. And that's the biggest concern for me. My wife and I have been exposed to low levels of CO for the past 3 years. Anything above 10 ppm is too much, and according to the PG&E guy, even sustained 17 ppm is not good.

You guys should do more research into this stuff before buying. I'm now shopping around for a CO that can detect low levels of CO.

2.0 out of 5 stars Item wrongly listed. Not backlit! Has no backlight., February 17, 2012
Diego (Los Angeles, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I can only give this a two star rating because the item I received, and I ordered 4 of them are of model# KN-COPP-LPM not the KN-COPP-B-LPM listed on this page. Notice the missing "-B-".

Word of caution, if you are expecting a backlit item, forget about it. Either Kidde is knowingly shipping the wrong items to Amazon warehouse or Amazon is shipping out the wrong item. Regardless, do not order this item here because it is not as described. There is high risk of receiving the wrong item. Will update this review if I get new any info on this mix up.

Here is the description of the item in two places on Amazon's page just in case they remove it.

"Large digital backlit display is easy to read, even in low-light conditions"

"From the Manufacturer
...The backlit digital display feature allows for easy viewing of carbon monoxide levels from 30-999 PPM (parts per million)."

UPDATED 2/17/2012
------------------
From Kidde's official homepage the model I received, #KN-COPP-LPM is not listed. Only #KN-COPP-B-LPM. Moreover, no where on their description page does it list the product as backlit. There is some serious problems with the description + SKU/model listed here on Amazon. Either Kidde is no longer manufacturing the backlit model and or they never had one to begin with?

Here is the PDF manual to Amazon listed #KN-COPP-B-LPM. There is no mention of backlit display anywhere here.

[...]

My personal conclusion: Kidde no longer makes the backlit model or never had one to begin with. Either way, the Amazon description is incorrect.