For those concerned about previous mfr date issues with reviews, my units were manufactured within 45 days of my purchase date -- which is actually extremely reasonable. I'm guessing that wherever these are manufactured, they are taking a boat trip at least once before hitting a warehouse to wait for me to purchase.

I recently replaced my 10 year old BRK detectors around my entire house. I installed the Kidde PI2000 dual sensor detector in each beadroom and a Kidde KN-COSM-IB smoke and carbon dioxide detector in the hallways in the basement, first and second floor hallways.

I researched first alert, brk, and kidde, mostly because I could see them at my local big box hardware store. I chose Kidde becuase it had more features for the wired-in detectors than both first alert and brk. First alert appears to have focused their current lines on battery only units and wireless communications. Brk also had limited options in dual sensors or combo CO detectors in a wired setting. Since neither first alert or brk could supply both a photo sensor/ion wired unit AND a dual CO and smoke wired detector that communicated together, I chose kidde detectors. I wanted them all to communicate and mixing and matching product vendors makes communications between the units impossible.

There are no pretty dual detectors that exist on the market. These are nice and boring and don't draw attention. They have a working hush button. That's a new feature that I appreciate. I haven't ripped one of these off the ceiling once yet to get them to stop their alarms.

I've never done a smoke or CO test. I'll let the experts run those tests. My only tests are using the test button. But it works as identified and is loud. The voice alarms in the COSM unit is good for the hallways and will supplement the normal alarm well. Children are reported to respond faster to "Fire!, Fire!". I've been know to sleep through my daughter's baby monitor on one of her bad nights... There's no way I'm not going to hear both the voice and the piercing alarms

DIY info:

Since I was replacing an existing AC wired solution, I wanted to continue to have the security of both AC power and battery backup. The best feature by far of this wired in solution is that all detectors are wired to communicate together. If my basement CO detector goes off, then the other two CO detectors also sound with an alarm and a voice indicator. When any of the smoke detectors trip, all detectors sound, and the hallway units voice alert "Fire!, Fire!". This connection between detectors will ensure that I know in the middle of the night if I have a fire in the basement... My house is well soundproofed between floors.

In replacing the existing brk wired in units with the Kidde detectors, I had to remove the existing collars and wired in "tails" since the existing ones were not compatible with the Kiddes. You can buy an adapter to convert from the BRK style of tail to the Kidde, but I considered that a waste of money. In my house, all of the smoke detectors are on the same electrical circuit and rewiring the tails and installing the detectors was a matter of ensuring the circuit was off, removeing 3 wire nuts, removing the existing tail, then twisting the new tail into the existing leads and putting the wire nuts back on. less than 3 minutes of work.

THe collar was easy to replace. A cordless screwdriver to loosen (not remove) the 2 J-box screws, twist and pull the brk collar off, add the Kidde collar, then tighten the screws.

All in all less than 5 minutes per detector... replaceing 7 detectors took less than an hour of work and I made sure to test each one for communications with the other units.

For the single detector that I have close to the peak of a cathedral ceiling I replaced the nice alkaline 9v that shipped with the PI2000 with an Ultralife Lithium 9v... they are made specifically for smoke detectors and are claimed to at least double the lifespan of a alkaline up to 10 years.... I'll let you know in ten years if its true. In any case I don't expect to have to change that high detector's battery for years now.

Remember that smoke detectors have to be replaced every 10 years.. units that detect CO will have to be replaced after 5yrs... its a chemical based sensor.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 2, 2011
Purchased five of these for use in our personal home with the intent to buy more for rentals if they performed well. Really liked the idea of having a voice warning that tells what the problem is and was thrilled at how easy the installation was...for about 48 hours.

About two days after initially installation, started getting a "beep" but no voice indication of low battery/other. We always keep spare batteries in stock so decided to replace the batteries with fresh ones and problem seemed to go away. Temporarily.

A few days later the alert goes off again which of course, signals ALL of them to go off as they are interconnected. This time it indicates a dead battery. Odd since we replaced them but figured our batteries may have been older than we realized. Went to the store and bought all new batteries - replaced in all five units.

A few nights later - about 2 in the morning - we get a full fledged alert with the 'WARNING -FIRE!" screeching through the house. After peeling ourselves off the ceiling, we took down the one main culprit and figured that one may be a lemon. Since we have five in the house, we still felt it may be an isolated problem...EXCEPT

The Next night we get yet another screeching alert...."WARNING - Carbon Monoxide". It should be worth mentioning to note that we had NO fireplace burning and do NOT cook or heat with anything other than electricity. In fact, nothing was running whatsoever.

At this point, we're exhausted from several nights of interrupted sleep and all of these are going back. The good news is the interconnected portion works. The bad news is the constant false alarms will leave you likely to take them down in order to get a full nights sleep.

In all our years of smoke alarms these have given more false alerts in just a couple weeks than the past 20 years combined. SKIP~!
3939 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 10, 2010
I read the reviews and was worried about the A/C problem. I decided to give it a try. I needed to replace my smoke detector for a combo, and the original was an A/C w/ battery backup, so this one fit the bill. I received the first detector and followed all the instructions. I am comfortable doing electrical work around the house and do have experience. The problem I encountered is that the green light on the detector that indicates AC power would turn off after 5 minutes. I checked all the connections and used a tester to verify that the connector that went to the unit had power. Everything was fine, except that the green light would still turn off after 5 minutes and stay off until I unplugged and plugged it in again. This means that the unit is being powered by the battery which would eventually run down. I immediately contacted Kidde through their web site. It has now been a month with no reply from them. I waited a couple of days to hear from Kidde, after which I contacted Amazon for a replacement. Amazon as usual is great and is one the many reasons I keep on buying from them. I received the replacement from Amazon a couple of days later. I installed it and this time the green light remained on. I returned the broken one, and I am a happy customer :-) For those that complained about the battery running down, I would suggest that you check the green that light is on.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 5, 2007
Replaced a 10 year old BRK Smoke Detector...This Kidde is Great! Hookup took less than 5 minutes, just replaced old pigtail connector, with the included Kidde connectors. The Kidde base feels more sturdy and the sure-lock twist design guaranteed a perfect fit. The Kids love the "voice" warnings (test mode) for Fire & Carbon Monoxide...I also love the visible 120v power indication (green light). Did I mention that Amazon.com has the best price on this unit...yeah, pick one up!
on November 6, 2007
This seems to be working as the manual says. The only problem is that I've had a few false positives. This is because that the manual states that this unit should not be within 3 feet of the bathroom entryway. I'm going to assume that this is due to fact that the heat or steam from opening the door after a shower/bath would set it off. And it does. I'm not saying that this is a problem, I'm glad that it is that sensitive. But I didn't install it to the recommended directions and this is the result. So with this result I'm going to say that this unit has been tested thoroughly and they have put much effort into the day to day operations of this unit. As for the Carbon monoxide I can't say how it would react in a real life situation. But I would hope that if the fire portion of the unit was this well designed then the Carbon Monoxide should perform just as well.
I could recommend this unit for anyone looking not just for piece of mind for fire detection but if they also wanted to detect carbon monoxide.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 14, 2007
The product is a great idea to combine both detectors in one. The voice portion that sounds is quite clear as to whether it is smoke or carbon monoxide. In addition the installation was quite easy for the do it yourselfer. Lastly, it was delivered with a battery installed...what a novel idea!!
on February 13, 2008
I ordered two of these to replace two AC powered smoke detecters that were over 20 years old. I just read that you are supposed to replace smoke detecters after 10 years. After reading this it did occur to me that the detecter near the kitchen didn't seem as sensitive to grilling smoke as it once was. So to be safe, I decided to change them with this model. The documentation for this unit says that these should be replaced after seven years of use. After removing the old detecters, these installed easily in the same spots and seem to work as advertised. Thankfully, I have only had occasion to use the test mode.

A wiring harness is used to connect the unit to the AC line. This is a good thing because it allows you to attach the harness to the AC line and then plug it in to the unit. Therefore you don't have to hold up the unit while you are doing the wiring. The only problem was that one of the wires in one harness was not properly installed and came loose. While I tried to reattach it, the design of the plug prevented me from doing so. I called Kidde's comsumer hotline and they sent a new harness which was received in three days. Great service and problem fixed.
on October 30, 2010
We had been living in our home for about 10 years, so I decided it was time to replace my old smoke detectors. I read the reviews on this unit, and I liked the idea of having a combination smoke/CO detector. The voice alarm sounded good to me as well, since I had heard that young children respond better to a voice than to just a beeping alarm. I bought 6 of them to replace all the interconnected smoke detectors in my house. I had to change the wiring harnesses on my interconnect wiring, but that was no big deal. I put the first one up, and all seemed normal after it completed its initial test.

However, I kept getting CO warnings from them whenever two or more of them were connected. Whenever I would disconnect the units from the interconnect wiring, they would operate normally. Troubleshooting with Kidde was ineffective, as the tech that I spoke with told me that we either had a CO problem, or there was another brand of detector still on the interconnect line that was causing the problem. I eventually gave up trying to work with them, and left the units up, but disconnected from the interconnect wiring. This was okay, aside from the fact that the units would drain their batteries within about 2 weeks. After a month of that, I pulled the units down altogether.

I eventually called an electrician out to check the units and the wiring in my house to make sure that I had not caused the problem when I changed the harnesses, and he found no problems with the wiring. He determined that I had at least one and possibly two bad units in my batch of six, and recommended that I replace them all with less expensive units.

I still like the concept of the dual alarm with voice, but I don't think these will be installed in my home. I'm going to see if I can get Kidde to refund any of my money, considering I've had the units for some time, fighting them! :-)
on December 11, 2009
We will try calling the company, but my husband just installed this and after about 12 hours it says low battery. Put in another battery and another 12 hours later it says low battery... and the batteries still work in another appliance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If there is another error and all this thing can say is "Low Battery" instead of what is actually wrong, then it is going back as soon as I can figure out how to return the item!!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 6, 2009
After purchasing 3 of these devices before selling house, I learned that they are unacceptable in the State of Massachusetts for the inspection. The Fire Chief in my town explained that only "photoelectric" type devices (First Alert or BRK) will qualify. See [...] for more information. I would check your local fire code (call your fire department) before spending money on the Kidde device. Unfortunately, we did not realize this and are now stuck with these devices.

After further research, I realized that this device states in its information brochure (which is NOT on their website description) that "it should not be installed within 3 feet of the door to a kitchen, door to a bathroom containing a shower, air supply duct use for heating ..." In our house that is basically where all the original hardwired smoke detectors are located when they were originally installed. (We were trying to upgrade them)
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations