Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

Size Name: 1 EachColor Name: WhitePackage Type: Standard PackagingChange
Price:$5.99+ $5.73 shipping

on August 26, 2009
The purpose of a smoke alarm is to alert you to a fire in your home. Thankfully I have never been able to test this unit, and I hope I never have the chance. So I'll just review the other reasons I bought this product.

I bought two of these units to replace older Kiddie model 1275 units that were malfunctioning and going off regularly for false alarms. My main concern was compatibility since I have 10 units in my house and did not want to replace them all. These new units used the same wiring, connectors, and mounting frames as the old units which was perfect -- installation took less than a minute per unit. The new units work with the old units perfectly -- pushing the test button on the new ones set off all the alarms in the house, just as they should.

I did have some hesitation about buying new Kiddie units since the old Kiddie units were malfunctioning. (To be fair, only one was malfunctioning, but I was tired of messing with troubleshooting and decided to replace the last two options.) However, only 1 in 10 of my existing units was malfunctioning, and they are 6 years old (out of a reported 10 year lifetime). The smoke alarms were installed when I bought the house, so I can't be sure the failing unit was not dropped or otherwise abused before installation. So far the new units have not produced any false alarms and are working well.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 8, 2009
I bought 7 of these as replacements for an older model that Kiddie no longer makes. Within 3 months of installation, I have had 3 false alarms (twice in the middle of the night). The false alarms came from 3 different rooms, so I have 3 defective units out of the 7 I installed.

Our home is very clean, we do not smoke, and the units that failed were in bedrooms (not the garage or kitchen). So, I can not see any reason for the false alarms.

I would not recommend this model, they are not reliable.
1212 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 9, 2008
I needed to find a replacement for the older hard wired "Lifesaver"smoke detectors that were installed in my two 20 unit apartment buildings. It took me only 1 minute to punch out screw hole placement to existing set up. Rewired using the same set up and done. It works great and my tenants love the "Smart Hush" control to temporarily silence nuisance alarms. These will be my choice for all future replacements throughout each unit as needed.
on July 23, 2011
The 11 year old detectors currently in my house are Kidde Model 1275. Looking to replace them (Manufacturer and most Fire codes recommend new every 10 years), I found that the Model 1275 is no longer made and it really was not clear from the product description if the i12040 was an EXACT replacement. It is. It was REALLY easy to install. In fact, the base of the old 1275 and the new i12040 were the same as were the wiring connectors. I replaced the mounting bases on mine (Took about three minutes each) only because the originals had discolored over time. Each old detector out and new one installed, including changing the base, in about five minutes with just a screwdriver to remove and replace the base mounting screws. It took me longer to get my ladder out that it took to do the switch.
on October 29, 2009
My house is about 10y and had the Kidde 1275's. Never had any issue with them, but it was that time to replace them as they are coming of age.

These used the same connectors, so all I did is change the mounting ring, since the others were discolored with age and plugged them in. No more than 5 min each. Had to change 8 of them out.

Kidde makes good products that are reliable!
on December 15, 2010
I replaced my 1275's with these i12040's a/c the 1275's were 7 years old and after I had chg'd batteries and cleaned all 5 units I still got intermittent chirps(2am lol)So after some investigation I read on Amazons reviews these were replacements for the 1275's(and i didn't have to change out the mounts) Ive had them installed now for a couple of months and I'm completely satisfied
on November 28, 2009
I had a house full of Kidde 1275 smoke alarms, and after several malfunctions (including one electrical problem causing it to literally "go up in smoke"), I replaced them with the i12040 ... only because I wanted something that would "drop in" with the current mounting system and wiring. That they did, and I've had no false alarms in the month they've been installed.

Why the 2 stars? Previous to purchasing, I contacted Kidde (via their customer service web page) to ensure the i12040 units had the same mounting system as the old 1275's and to ensure the wiring would be compatible with all the Kidde alarms on the system. Kidde never responded. I found out from a do-it-yourself web forum that these would work fine.

Kidde's customer support is notoriously poor. The old 1275 units were deficient in design and/or manufacture - and Kidde refused to acknowledge this. I won't give high marks to a company that won't respond to customer service issues.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2011
Replaced the older model as everyone else and was happy with how easy it was. Then, the false alarms started coming about a month later. Going to try to switch to a different brand and hope I can use existing wiring some how.
on October 23, 2012
We have a 100 year old house and were getting along fine with our battery operated smoke detectors-- And then decided, since we were having the entire upstairs rewired, maybe we should get these direct-wired detectors installed. Our electrician, who we love, used this brand and model and I HATE THEM.

Within the first month, one of them started going off for absolutely no reason in the middle of the night around 1 or 2 a.m. We made sure it was all clean, reinstalled it-- and still- every so often, it would just go off-- No reason!

We started keeping notes on if we had fans going, what the weather and humidity was like, the time (always middle of the night, of course) etc. The electrician replaced it once, and then the replacement started doing the same thing.

What prompted me to write this review is that today, for the first time during a daytime hour-- the thing went off again. I was sitting in an upstairs bedroom office on my lap top. I don't smoke-- No one else is home, the oven and stove haven't even been used yet today, it's Wisconsin-- so the windows are closed, no fans running-- the furnace wasn't on.

I got it to turn off (our "hush" button, btw, doesn't seem to work, either) and went down to check the house-- and the basement-- NOTHING-- No smoke, no problems-- on my way back up, the smoke alarm went off AGAIN-- (And remember-- when one goes off-- all of them go off-- and it is DEAFENING)-- so I turned it off a second time--

I just put the chair away when it went off again-- So-- now with a MIGRAINE and my adrenaline pumping-- I tried to pull it off the ceiling (you twist it) and it wouldn't go-- so I finally just grabbed the case and pulled, cutting my finger, and breaking the detector case and of course the top went flying down the stairs (further breaking it).

I have never been so happy about something being destroyed in all my life. I think I will give my seven year old a hammer to take to it out in the drive way when he gets home from school. I may burn it when he is done with it.

But... since I don't think you can just stick a new brand in with the already existing ones (if anyone knows, comment on this and let me know!)-- I think I have to replace the S.O.B.... so I came on to Amazon to see what one costs... and thought it would be good to WARN PEOPLE TO USE ANY OTHER DETECTOR BUT THIS ONE--

If you have an older home and you already have the individual battery operated dectectors and are good about changing your batteries (we used to do it on new years every day) and replacing them when they get old- STICK WITH THAT. This was probably the biggest home-related decision mistake we have ever made. I hate direct-wired detectors and since we were so good about upkeep on the other ones, I regret the decision to change tremendously!

(As of today, there are 98 reviews of this detector, and mine will be the 19th giving it one star. That's about 20%-- you want more than 80% of the people using a smoke detector to be happy with their model before you buy the same, don't you??)
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2014
We bought a new house 18 months ago and these smoke detectors were installed in every room. Last night one of them began chirping. (Since it's hard-wired, I'm surprised the backup battery went bad that quickly, but that's a different issue.). Our ceilings are 12 feet high, and my ladder got me within an inch of reaching the smoke detector. Anxious to stop the chirping, I put a brick under each leg of the ladder and with my wife holding the ladder steady, I climbed the ladder to get to the smoke detector. I gave it a clockwise twist (which has opened every smoke detector I've ever had) but the thing would not open. I tried counter-clockwise and still no success. Standing on tiptoes on a shaky ladder I felt around the thing and found a small tab sticking out near the ceiling. I pushed it, then tried to flip it to the side, but it didn't do anything. Going online, I found the tab was a "child-proof" locking pin that needed to be removed before the detector would twist open. (Meanwhile the thing was chirping like crazy.). Back up the ladder on tiptoes I reached up with needle-nosed pliers and pulled the pin, then twisted the alarm and it finally came loose. It was now hanging inches from the ceiling by a plug that did not want to release, and still chirping. The battery door would not open till the smoke alarm was unplugged, so I'm standing on the ladder on tiptoes with both hands over my head trying to get the plug to release and strongly tempted to just rip the thing from the ceiling. I finally got the plug to release and changed the battery, but will wait till I buy a taller ladder to put the smoke alarm back in place. All in all, this unit is vary poorly designed. If the thing is designed to chirp until you replace the battery, they need to make the battery a LOT easier to replace. (Since most smoke detectors are mounted on the ceiling do they really need to "child-proof" it with a locking pin?) I should not have to risk life and limb to fix a chirping smoke detector!