Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

VINE VOICEon October 28, 2007
While I do not often agree with Bill O'Reilly, I found this book to be a good quick read on the rights and responsibilities of young people in today's society. O'Reilly does a good job of explaining why rights are not absolute and how the Constitution applies to every day situations.

Tossed in for good measure are examples of issues that affect kids and he asks them to think about how they would bring the issue to a conclusion, forcing the reader to try to figure out a solution themselves. In addition, a side benefit is proving that there is no "right" answer to many of these problems.

Finally, a third theme of the book is negotiation and compromise. I think that may be the most important lesson of all. He tells kids, in very clear terms, that court is a last resort for disputes and it is much better to work with another party than to fight them.

I was impressed that he stayed away from ideology (for the most part) and kept the vast majority of the book to facts. When his opinion was injected, he was sure to label it as such, and in most instances explain that it was only his opinion...not necessarily the answer.

My one disappointment with the book was its short length and it's "under" writing to the youth he claims it is for. The writing is rather simplistic and, while he claims this is for "smarter" kids in middle and high school, I think it would be better suited for kids in upper elementary and middle school. As a test, I gave to book to my 16 year old daughter, who read about 30 pages, and then gave it back with a note attached telling me that she learned most of this in 3rd or 4th grade.

I recommend this book, but be careful about the age of the reader. Most teens (with a brain) over the age of 12 will be insulted by this book. If kept to the proper age range, however, this could be a good learning tool.
33 comments|87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2015
I bought this as an adult. I like Bill O'Reilly and have read many of his other books. I was curious to see what this was like and to possibly pass it on to my nieces and nephews. Very informative and an easy listen. I think it would be great for kids 8 or 10 to 17, depending on comprehension levels and interest level of the kid.
on August 12, 2014
I bought this ok for my ten year granddaughter. She reads two to three books at a time and absorbs all of the texts with ease. She told me that it was very interesting although she like "Killing Kennedy" more.
on April 29, 2015
I love Bill O'Reilly's books. I have now bought all but the last e-book. I bought this one as a Christmas gift for one of my Grandchildren, hoping it would peek there interest in our history. I'm not sure it has even been read. I know I would love to read this book.
on May 13, 2008
It is amazing to me how so many people who hate and despise O'Reilly and anyone else like him have the time to write such long and careless reviews. I read the book and so has my 13 year old son and 16 year old niece. Although it may be a little simple at times for them, my niece especially enjoyed the book and said to me that it was one of the more eye opening pieces that she has ever read. To bring up phony accusations of O'Reilly, like the Harlem incident, which was totally taken out of context and a "Media Matters" concoction, where respectable men like Juan Williams are called "Happy Negroes" by other news orgs. is nothing short of despicable! The book is an excellent read, although a little simple for an intelligent adult at times, or maybe it is, but don't write a bad review on a book because you don't like O'Reilly. That in itself is childish!!
on January 7, 2014
This was such a great book. Well thought out, well written, and well presented in every aspect. It raises thought provoking questions that I discussed with my kids to think about what kind of country we live in today, where we came from, and where we are headed. It ignited a great discussion about how kids can help our country grow and are an integral part of our country in every way. They are the future. I strongly recommend this book to Democrats, Republicans, and Independents. While the answers to the questions will likely differ between those three groups, the questions are the same, and they all should go through the conscious process of thinking these things through. I like that the author didn't tell kids what to think, he tells them the questions to ask and the things to think about. Very thought provoking on many levels! Great book!
on September 6, 2012
I am the father of Matthew LaClair, whose case is "discussed" at pages 9-11 of this "book." O'Reilly never bothered to contact us to find out the facts of the case. If he had followed that simple rule that every competent writer is obligated to follow, he would have learned that Matthew did exactly what Mr. O'Reilly criticizes him (bottom of p. 11) for not doing: he kept the recordings private, stated his objections to school administrators, and when they did not act, we took the recordings to the press as a last resort. Contrary to O'Reilly's commentary, we never filed a lawsuit. Even with the recordings in hand, school officials refused to act until The New York Times blew the story wide open and they looked foolish. By contrast, when Chad Farnan's family brought a lawsuit against the Capistrano (CA) school district, they did none of these things but O'Reilly declared the young man a hero. Could it have anything to do with the fact that Farnan calls himself a Christian, while Matthew does not? O'Reilly's biases and his hypocrisy could not be clearer, even if he tried. There is no excuse for Mr. O'Reilly commenting on what Matthew did without checking the facts first. In essence, he lied by implication about the actions of a sixteen-year-old. That is not the conduct of a man who cares about kids. Why does anyone pay attention to this man?
1414 comments|9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2014
I was so surprised by the ability to express on the kids level. I read the book before giving it to my grandson for Christmas and was so excited after I read it that I have recommended it to 2 of my friends. Each of my grandchildren will be receiving their personal copy this year and hoping my kids will read it also.

thanks,
on February 8, 2008
I think Bill O'Reilly is very good at making a point about kids are Americans too and it is an easy read and most understandable. I purchased the book for my grandkids, but wanted to read it first.
on December 18, 2007
Kids Are American's Too by Bill O'Reilly is supposed to be aimed at educating teens about what rights they have as American citizens, as well as how they got them and what they can do to be more politically active. The idea is an excellent, but O'Reilly's execution leaves much to be desired. His tone is just a trifle condescending, and while he gives several anecdotes about kids and their rights, ultimately he can't really answer any questions because of the variability of school systems and the courts. He sums up the Founding Fathers just a little too easily. In his attempt to speak to the younger generation, he comes off as dumbing himself down and trying too hard to fit in. His "rap" music is just pathetic and not even humorous, and the quizzes at the end of each chapter remove any and all "cool" cache. There are some interesting facts about how rights work and how the best way to assert them is not necessarily through the courts but through calm and rational compromise and discussion: definitely thoughts with merit. I just don't think that this book will appeal to the target audience. Unless you're a diehard O'Reilly fan, skip this one.
55 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse