5.0 out of 5 stars More than a kids' "busybook"
Published on September 14, 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring: more craft than art
Published on April 27, 2012 by Tracy

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a kids' "busybook", September 14, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Kids Create! Art & Craft Experiences for 3- to 9-Year-Olds (Paperback)
The craft instructions in this book are indeed easy, fun, cheap to do (etc) for kids. But the best part was the discussion in the back of the book on appropriate levels of creative projects for kids of different ages. It clearly outlined what attention span and dexterity level you should expect from kids of different ages. And it had useful advice for adults on how to make the project fun for kids; not just push the child to produce an "aesthetically ideal" finished project. That unanticipated inclusion in the book made it really stand out for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple crafts - using readily available supplies, January 10, 1999
By A Customer
Very useful book for those responsible for keeping young children interested and involved with handicaft projects. Supplies are readily alvailable and at nominal cost. Instructons are clear and uncomplicated.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful anthology of craft ideas for kids of all ages!, September 13, 1999
By A Customer
Kids Create! is an excellent collection that uses various mediums and can apply to children with varied artistic ability. I am a 6th grade art teacher, and I purchased the book after borrowing it from the library. There are too many wonderful ideas to let it slip away! My students especially love Carlson's collection of sculpting projects.

2.0 out of 5 stars Uninspiring: more craft than art, April 27, 2012
I purchased two kids' arts and crafts books: Kids Create and Art Lab for Kids. I looked at the Art Lab book first, and then was very disappointed with Kids Create when I finally looked at it. Kid's Create is entirely in black and white and totally uninspiring. It is mostly a "crafts" book that has little "art" in it. If you are looking for a basic, black and white manual for making miniature skateboards, envelopes, nutshell ornaments, papier mache shapes, balloon sculptures, and similar crafts then you might like this book. I was looking for an art book with drawing, painting, printmaking, and mixed media activities suitable for children that would not only invite creativity but also start to lay a foundation for a basic understanding of art materials and artistic techniques. What's more, I was looking for activities that left room for true creativity in the final product despite using specific techniques. The Art Lab for Kids book was much more attractive and inspiring. It's activities in Art Lab for Kids will be fun for my 6 year old, but they'll be just as fun for him at 10 and 17 (and for me)and feel fresh even when we repeat each "adventure." Art Lab for Kids: 52 Creative Adventures in Drawing, Painting, Printmaking, Paper, and Mixed Media-For Budding Artists of All Ages (Lab Series)

I bought Kids Create used and didn't pay much for it (thankfully), so I'll probably keep it. I marked 7-10 activities as something I might do with my son (out of over a hundred included in the book). Oh, and, if you're looking for activities for your 3 or 4 year old, I'm not sure that many of these could be done by a child that age; I would look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Homeschoolers, too, November 12, 2010
I bought this when my daughter was 3 years old (she's 7 now) and was enamored with all the projects in it. We did a couple of the crafts and then I stuck this on a shelf and forgot it for a while.

When my daughter turned 4 and we'd decided to home school, I pulled this out again. We've used it over and over since then and she has a blast! She will often pull the book out and ask to do projects in it. We've done some of the crafts as holiday decorations or as gifts, others themed to whatever unit study lessons we're working on (like Indian crafts during Thanksgiving, etc.), and still more just for fun. Dad even gets involved.

Themed activities are easy because some of the book is divided up by season. There are old "standby" crafts like shadow silhouettes and sponge art, as well as some fun ideas I hadn't seen before, like a "winter count" (drawing symbols on brown paper to make up a map of one's life, like the Indians used to do). Last spring during our "recycling" theme we made the windsock project, which uses an empty gallon ice cream container. (There's also a globe-making craft that would work well for Earth Day.) She had that windsock hanging outside our front door all year until we decorated for Halloween.

Another great thing about this book is the section for parents on the stages of a child's artistic development. I found that quite useful for working with my home schooler and knowing what to expect at certain ages.

The age range 3-9 is appropriate, basically because you can pick and choose between the varied complexity of the different crafts to fit your child's skill level each year--or simplify techniques and methods based on ability. I definitely recommend this book for anyone looking for simple, fun, and inexpensive crafts to keep their little one busy all year long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great beginners projects, December 17, 2009
This book was good for holding the attention of both my 3 year old daughter and 10 year old son, I especially liked the clay projects and have incorporated my own spin on them for crafty ideas for decorations around the home from learning. Great if you are just starting out with your children doing arts & crafts.

5.0 out of 5 stars ART BOOK, May 28, 2009
I am a preschool teacher and purchased this book to look for new and exciting projects to teach my class. I was VERY pleased to all the creative ideas this book contained.

5.0 out of 5 stars ease of crafting, December 28, 2012
I purchased this for my daughters kindergarten class. she said that it would be better suited for older grades, like 2nd or 3rd grade where kids can follow directions easily. my daughter says she spends more time explaining that actually getting anything done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't hold!, September 26, 2012
I enjoyed doing the crafts with my daughter. There is such a variety but the book fell apart so easy. That is why I am giving it three stars. It should hold together better because this would be something I would open over and over again if wasn't such a pain to keep together and not lose the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, December 17, 2011
This is an awsome book. With tons of things to make and create with your child. My daughter keeps picking out projects to do all the time and most of it is really cheap entertainment. If you love spending time and doing things with your kids this book is Great.
Billie-Jo