Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 18, 2006
I got this book for Christmas when I was 10. I am 13 now and i still look it over when I have spare time. Whenever I read it, I have the Urge to go fishing. It shows in picturs and words how to tie a not, cast, filet a fish, what kind of lures to use on what fish, and a TON more. it is very easy for little kids to understand and older people too. It also tells you what size hook and what pound test to use. this is my favorite book EVER!!!!!!!!!!! you should buy it
on March 15, 2006
I checked this out from the local library, and may just order a copy. Of all the fishing books I've seen, this is one of the best resources. The information is on target and the pictures are great!

The beginning of the book goes through common fish with the fish located on a map of North America. Next the book reviews basic tackle in a very practical way. If you know what kind of fish you want to catch, it will tell you what size hook, size of line, bait or lures to use! Then the book shows you how to set up a line, how to cast, where to cast, how to tell when you have a bite, how to hook it, how to land it, and how to clean it. Everything but how to cook it! Every page has a great picture or chart to help explain.

Great fishing guide!
on June 5, 2009
I bought this book for my son's 9th birthday, to add to his fishing-related presents. The reviews I read were right on about its being a useful basic reference, and my son read the book cover to cover before purchasing his rod and lures. With every catch he grabs the book to identify his fish and then the tables to check its weight and age.

This book is well-written, and informative enough for adults while being simple enough for kids to follow. There are sections on equipment, techniques, maps for common fish, and of course the fish identification. There's information on preferred habitats and fish feeding habits which my son found fascinating. There are plenty of pictures and illustrations and the layout is very clean. The book itself is small enough to put in the tackle box, and the pages were heavier weight paper than I expected (and glossy, so a little moisture hasn't wrecked it).

All in all, this was exactly the book we needed and I highly recommend it.
on February 27, 2015
Neat book. Was a gift to a boy who loves fishing!!! I read the whole thing . . . I don't fish. It was part of a multi-gift package. Hope he reads it, bet he does. Leave it to AMAZON to help me find the perfect gifts for people and their interests.
on December 19, 2011
Perfect for the beginning fisher. I just received this and I had to comment for anyone else considering this book for a child. It's small - 8.5" x 5.5" - but don't let that discourage you. It's wonderful! It has realistic looking drawings of fish kids may catch: bass, perch, walleye, crappies, trout, catfish and a few others. I was worried about phony looking paintings in other books but I didn't need to worry about that with this one. I had to look twice to see if these were photos - they're that realistic.

It has kid-friendly charts and graphics that aren't corny or too basic. I'd put the age range at about 6-15 years old. They have charts that explain recommended hook size for each type of game fish; explanations for hooks, lines, sinkers, bobbers, etc.; maps of where to cast in a lake, pond, river and stream; fish age, weight and length charts; safety tips; info on catch and release and how to clean fish if you don't catch and release.

It's so much better for kids than a complicated field guide (my other option). This is something they'll read cover to cover. I'm really happy with this purchase. I can't imagine any child interested in fishing (especially a beginner) wouldn't love this, too. I'm going to read it myself after the kids go to bed!
on May 1, 2012
This is a terrific book for children on fresh lake fishing. I purchased it for my grandson who is four and he just loves the book and will not put it down. The book is only a week old and the pages look like he's had it for years. The book has all the info a child would need to go fishing (and few things an adult might need to know) photos of different types of fish,what areas of the country you will find them, how to tie on your hook, take a fish off and release...etc. We could not leave the house on our first fishing trip without the book. I am going to order a few more for gifts for my great-nephews. This was one of my best finds on Amazon.
on February 1, 2014
I bought this for my out of state grandkids, and their papa, and for that, it worked well. They all sat on the couch and read it together, and the kiddos were asking him lots of questions, excited to go fishin' when spring comes!
on February 18, 2012
If you want to introduce a youngster to fishing for the first time, or they want to know more about fishing, this book is perfect. They first go through some of the more common varieties of game fish and what their characteristics are. Then they go through the various facets of actually fishing and trying to catch fish. Plenty of detailed pictures and illustrations aid in the process. My nine year old nephew loves it.
on March 12, 2013
This is a very basic fishing book for children. My kids love that it tells what bait to use, and where to find each type of fish. It also tells how and where to cast and how to tie knots. They spent a lot of time reviewing it. For a young beginner, this is a must have. It's easy for children to read and follow. Nice fishing book to add to your collection.
on December 1, 2010
Got this book for my son, who was 5 at the time. great book for kids
I myself have picked up some good tips. It makes fishing more interesting to kid.