1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars short-lived appeal; not ideal for young kids, January 2, 2010
Carol C. "ccjello" (Kansas City, MO USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Kids' Magnetic Rhyme Maker Word Kit (Toy)
My daughter is six and is into writing lists of rhyming words on her dry-erase board (chalkboard, random scraps of paper, bedroom wall . . . ) so I thought that this would be a fun diversion for her. I've had a blast with magnetic poetry kits over the years and thought it would be a way to share the joy.

The result wasn't quite what I expected. The most time we spent with this was when we went through the tedious task of breaking the sheets of words into the individual magnets and sticking them on the front of the fridge. After a few minutes of organizing the words into rhyming sets, my daughter was ready to move on.

The magnetic words are tiny, prone to fall off the refrigerator and end up on the kitchen floor. I tried putting the magnets on a cookie sheet and that didn't work so well, either. The little magnets are small and difficult to manipulate.

The set includes some fun rhymes - tizzy, busy, fizzy, dizzy; funny, bunny, money, honey; snore,store, sore; -- as well some words without obvious rhymes -- monkey, princess, kangaroo, monster. There are plenty of words to work with.

Overall, this seems like it has the potential to be lots of fun but it just didn't turn out that way in our case. The little magnets may be better suited to older kids. I haven't given up yet, though -- After several months, the words are still up on the fridge and I'm hopeful that they will get some use before I pass them on.

Kids' Magnetic Rhyme Maker Word Kit