Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kids, Summer and A Shoestring Budget
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

50%
50%

on May 2, 2012
This really isn't a 5-star book!! I don't know why the reviewer before me rate this book like that but it really isn't.

The book is very amateuristic with lots of links and google-found images which aren't even centred on the page. It really looks like a personal blog someone wrote and now decided to create into a book.

The author first rambles on and on why it is so expensive to arrange 'regular' summer arrangements for your children. As I'm not an American and summer camps aren't something 'normal' in my country I really don't see the big deal. The author states that all the things that are normal for me are very boring for children. Like going to the beach and play there with your sister. Why is that boring for young children? Plus, aren't they able to play with other kids that are also there? Just to make it clear, she has two daughters which her youngest one is 5 years old, the age of her oldest daughter isn't stated but looking at the picture, probably 2 or 3 years older. Planning play dates is something the author finds really hard, since she can hardly arrange one per month (her words). Is it really so difficult to plan play dates in America?! I just can't believe that.

She also rambles on about the level summer camps are on. She names the planning of the local art camp for young children (5 yo) and she really thinks that those children wouldn't like to go outside and paint on big aisles, or play with dough. The kids I know of that age are loving that!! The author however wants her children to visit museums and be taught by real artists.

Ok, and then here solution. It really isn't something new, I hope everybody in situations like this can think of it. Because the plan is to organize your own summer camp with a couple of other parents in the neighbourhood. I think that is a really good idea but come on, do we really need a book to tell us that?! Isn't that just common sense? Helping each other out by combining schedules and planning fun activities on 'your' days you have the kids over? It really is just a big play date. And of course, she goes into detail about planning this, but not like an expert would do but just like a mom writing a blog about here world changing idea.

No, you really shouldn't pay any money for this. Reading this was a waste of time.
on July 17, 2011
For kids, summer camp and fun are pretty much synonymous. A carefree time of swimming, campfires, hiking, discovery, good food (usually!), and plenty of friends.

For Mom and Pop, it can be a time of sweet relief from the kids and a chance to be "alone together." Or if you're a single parent, a chance to catch your breath and tackle some long-deferred projects - or maybe even get away on your own for a while.

Sounds good, right?

BUT. Ah, yes, there's the rub. The price tag. It can run from the hundreds into the thousands for a week or two of camp. If as a parent you send, say, two of your young `uns to camp, you could be out an easy $2,000 to even $10,000.

This book shows a better way. Actually, more than one way. And I'm not going to share those ways here in the review; otherwise, why would you buy the book? But I've read it, and I can guarantee you that summer camp for very little - or even totally free - is absolutely possible. I'd highly recommend this practical, real-world book to any parent or parents who want the advantages of summer camp for their kids, without needing to mortgage the ranch to do it.