5.0 out of 5 stars Old camp songs with some updated verses
Published on June 4, 2004 by Rabbi Yonassan Gershom

3.0 out of 5 stars Kidsongs vs Wee Sing
I brough this DVD because it has Hookey Pookey, one of my daughter's favorate song. However, given the choice between Kidsongs and Wee Sing, my daughter prefer Wee Sing. Maybe another year, she would prefer Kidsongs.

Published on October 11, 2005 by #1 Asia Father

5.0 out of 5 stars Old camp songs with some updated verses, June 4, 2004
In this video, the kids ride the yellow school bus to Camp Kidsongs and sing "The More We Get Together." Then they meet their counselors and do the usual summer camp activities: hiking, swimming, fishing, arts and crafts, singing around the campfire, meeting "The Old Gray Mare" who lives at the camp, etc. They take a hike to "The Caissons go Rolling Along," which includes a new verse about looking at nature and is interspersed with shots of a puma, a bear, an alligator, and other denizens of the wild. The "Fishin' Blues" sequence is funny, as the kids catch everything but fish, and their counselor ends up getting pulled into the water by the one that got away. "Boom Boom Ain't It Great to be Crazy" accompanies the sack races and a relay where you have to carry an egg on a spoon (remember that?)
Some of the songs have been updated for "political "correctness" since I learned them back in the 1960s. "99 Bottles of Beer" is now "99 bottles of Pop" -- no, they don't sing all 99 verses (thank heavens!), only numbers 99 and 98 in a medly of campfire songs, including a short-short version of "Found a Peanut" that makes no mention of it being rotten or the consequences of eating it anyway. "The Ants Go Marching," however, is rendered in full. So is "On Top Of Spaghetti," about that poor meatball that "rolled off the table and onto the floor." The ending of this one has also been changed. I learned it as "A truck came and squashed it, the next day it died -- I honor my meatball on the 4th of July." In the Kidsongs version, the meatball does roll down the road, but the truck never appears. Instead, the meatball rolls back uphill to the picnic table and onto the kid's plate again. I suppose this change was to eliminate the "violence" of squashing the poor meatball on screen -- but it also removes some of the goof-around silliness of the old song. Besides, who wants a meatball on their plate that has been rolling all over the ground? I doubt many kids are actually going to sing the new version at camp.
Still, the video is well done and does give a taste of what summer camp is like. So I won't dock it for changing the words. When my grandson is old enough, I'm sure he'll learn the real versions when he goes to summer camp. Either that, or he'll pick them up from us!

3.0 out of 5 stars Kidsongs vs Wee Sing, October 11, 2005
This review is from: Kidsongs - A Day at Camp (DVD)

Secondly, while the price is slightly less than Wee Sing, but only half of the run time (26 minutes for Kids Song vs 58 minutes for Wee Sing). Hence, I am not sure if it is a bargain.

Third, autorepeat will run FOREVER. Not sure if I want my daughter to watch a never-ending show...

1.0 out of 5 stars JJ's Mom, March 26, 2011
This review is from: Kidsongs - A Day at Camp (DVD)
I owned this dvd on vhs. If I didn't already love it, I would have sent it back. The sound quality is horrible. I also bought silly songs and found the sound just as bad on that one. It is unfortunate because my older kids used to love it and JJ likes it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars The dvd was great. My 2yr old daughter loves it very much, she sings and moves to all the songs. Thanks, July 11, 2014
This review is from: Kidsongs - A Day at Camp (DVD)
The dvd was great. My 2yr old daughter loves it very much. She sing along to all the songs, that's all she wants to watch everyday.
Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Music Substitutes!, June 4, 2014
This review is from: Kidsongs - A Day at Camp (DVD)
I have been substitute teaching in Music for the past 8 weeks and the kids really enjoy "Kidsongs". My music experience is limited and these have been a lifesaver!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kidsongs DVD, February 8, 2014
This review is from: Kidsongs - A Day at Camp (DVD)
My own children loved watching and singing along with these, and I have enjoyed showing them to my class at recess on rainy days! The actors and activities are engaging and as the saying goes, - "music soothes the savage beast". Not that my students are beasts by any means, but they are 3 and 4 year olds with short attention spans and these movies have peppy songs with KIDS singing, not just adults! I also hope it broadens their little worlds - many of them have never been more than a few miles from home.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is awesome for kids!, February 4, 2014
This review is from: Kidsongs - A Day at Camp (DVD)
This is a great program for kids! I watch this with my 6 year old all the time. She likes the singing and dancing and seeing the baby animals. I used to watch this show since I was 5/6 up to age 10. This is much better for kids than the crap they show on Nick Jr. nowadays. From Kidsongs, kids learn to express their individuality, learn about all kinds of animals and learn lessons about friendships and being polite and respectful. The kids look so happy, great teamwork and attitudes. Nice job, Kidsongs! I'd recommend this for kids ages 2 1/2 to 8

4.0 out of 5 stars We love it!, November 27, 2012
Ashlee (GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kidsongs - A Day at Camp (DVD)
My 4 year old has been watching the KidSongs movies for about two years. This is one of her favorites. She asks me to sing "Boom Boom Ain't it Great to be Crazy" all the time. The songs are cute, and although the video is from the 80s, I'm not thinking that's such a bad thing for kids nowadays!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kidsongs!!, October 4, 2012
This review is from: Kidsongs - A Day at Camp (DVD)
I enjoyed Kidsongs as a child and my son fell in love with them also! I watched them so often the DVDs were severely scratched. The content is great and you are never concerned about what might pop up next.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Niece Loves This, July 20, 2012
This review is from: Kidsongs - A Day at Camp (DVD)
I love my niece but on days I get her and I'm low on energy I just pop this in and she sits down and sings and dance the DVD is child friendly meaning it palys over and over again on its own so you don't have to keep hitting play. I loved this as an child and happy to see my niece enjoy it too.

Kidsongs - A Day at Camp
Kidsongs - A Day at Camp by Bruce Gowers (DVD - 2002)
$9.98 $8.59