5.0 out of 5 stars great value and well made!
Published on June 27, 2012 by J. Chan

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not use for Drinks
I purchased these recently as I was looking for a cheep source of biodegradable straws for drinks.

While the straws here did meet my criteria I quickly learned they had a Fatal flaw. The straws break down on contact with liquids. Other reviews mentioned this was a possibility of left in drinks for a while, but they didn't give an accurate time frame:...
Published on November 24, 2011 by tzenes

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not use for Drinks, November 24, 2011
This review is from: Kikkerland Biodegradable Paper Straws, Gray and White Striped, Box of 144 (Kitchen)

10 minutes: Straws remain firm
20 minutes: Head of Straw becomes soggy
30 minutes: Head of Straw loses all structural integrity and must be forcibly opened to use
45 minutes: Straw has degraded beyond use

I tried orienting the straws, but the bottom also starts to lose integrity collapsing the length of the straw. While the average straw breaks down by 45 minutes, with more heavy use this can be as little as 20-30 minutes.

I found that these straws are only viable if you're replacing them every 20 or so minutes. As someone who consumes liquids throughout the day at work this means I've been going through at least half a dozen a day (frequently more).

I would not recommend or buy again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disintegrated straw in your mouth., January 18, 2012
I ordered these adorable straws for a vintage circus-themed baby shower, and while their attractive design had the desired effect, guests were awkwardly disposing of them as the paper disintegrated in their mouths! I was slightly horrified and had to apologize to guests. I would expect something like this after a longer period of use, but this started as soon as they came into contact with liquid. What is the point of a straw that can't hold up to water?

2.0 out of 5 stars 2 minute straws., July 7, 2011
These straws are not useful for smoothies or savoring an iced coffee for more than 2 minutes. The straws just collapse and get soggy... and forget about trying to stir your smoothie with it, because it just bends.

But if you're going to use the straw to drink you're drink in under 2 minutes, then these are for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Had higher hopes, January 31, 2012
Love the fact that these straws are paper, but they collapse shortly after you start using them. I wouldn't buy them again.

5.0 out of 5 stars great value and well made!, June 27, 2012
J. Chan (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was worried about these straws because I had read that they were not as sturdy and long lasting as some more expensive brands. I had researched the makers of paper straws and compared the price points from $4.50 for 20 straws compared to this product $6.50 for 144! I had to say my expectations were not high. I used these for my daughter's birthday party and a friend had purchased the more expensive brand straws for her own son's birthday party the week before. All in all the straws held up equally well and looked just as good! A great deal and will hold for several hours with ice cold drinks. A great value and I will purchase more in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, not great, June 29, 2011
These straws look great but, predictably, the paper on the ends of the straw starts to get a bit soggy after a while. I thought they would have a heavier wax coating, but the straw definitely feels like paper in your mouth and tastes a bit like it, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, arrived quickly, get a little soggy, November 20, 2012
They are exactly as I pictured. They're gorgeous. However, they ARE paper straws. Or rather, cardboard. Either way, they only last in beverages before getting soggy. Fair warning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Party with every drink :), September 8, 2011
E. Geva (Brooklyn, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I love these straws. So pretty, environmentally friendly, and do the job!
As for the comments about the straws becoming soggy after a short while - I didn't find the effect that extreme to make me like them any less.

I wouldn't put it in cocktails which take a while to finish, but for cold drinks one takes an average time to consume they work perfectly!

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, November 18, 2013
I purchased a box of these one year ago and they were fabulous, held up great in iced coffee, sodas, water. When I ran out recently, I purchased another box, and they must have changed something in the way they're made - these are soggy within a couple of minutes start collapsing in five, and are pretty much useless.
Extremely disappointing!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as pictured, November 18, 2012
The straws were for our blue and WHITE wedding...yet the color is actually so dark of blue it looks black, and a yellowish white.
YUCK!