Kikkerland Dynamo Solar and Crank Emergency Radio, Green
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Compact radio that runs on solar or hand-cranked power
- Great for having on hand in emergencies or power outages
- Also ideal for camping, use outdoors, or moving from room to room
- Requires no batteries or plug-in for reduced environmental impact
- Measures 3 by 2-1/4 by 3 inches
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Top Customer Reviews
Both the generator & solar panels work great. Direct sunlight is needed for the panels.
Reception is very good.
Speaker is a little tinny, but OK.
Jack for earphones (earphones not included, but they're so cheap & easy to get...)
No provision for adding regular batteries, but why the heck would you want to?
Altogether, a very good little radio.
But note to outdoorsmen: it IS NOT waterproof.
MY CONCLUSION--this is a quality product.
The Hipster gives it a Thumbs Up!
The only bad thing I can say about this so far is the packaging is that type that requires a gorilla armed with a machete to open - sealed against the Armageddon. Since you can operate it without taking it out of the invincible package I was actually considered leaving it packaged in case it stopped working... I have since taken it out because it's so nice and small and the package was bulky.
**update** A few months in and it's still going strong. I've never had to crank for power, the solar panel gives enough power for at least 40 min of listening in low light (I haven't hit a dead battery yet). Signal is becoming easier to get as I figure out the best locations for reception. I've got about 50 uses under my belt so far, using the radio a few times per week.
**update @ 6mo** This thing is amazing. I still have not reached a dead battery, even after several hours of listening. I'm thinking about getting another one of these things for work. I love the tiny size more and more (3 x 2.75 x 1.75") as time goes on and have become proficient at getting a good signal quickly, often by turning the radio over on its side.
This radio is very small--looks about 3" x 3" x 1.5". Reception is pretty good on all bands. WideBand is fun, not sure what to expect out of it but you can receive random stuff, especially at night.
6 months in, and by Oct 2010, the product had stopped working! No idea why. Disclaimer: Have not contacted the manufacturer.
Original review posted on 5/31/2010:
I had been meaning to buy an emergency radio for a while, but did not like the idea of a hand-crank radio. I got interested in this radio because of its solar panel, and decided to order it after reading some of the reviews here. I'm very happy I got it.
- It is small, light-weight and cute. Easy to carry from room-to-room. It's color and material are pleasant to look at and hold. It appears to be of sturdy construction as well, as it slipped and fell from my hands (on a carpeted floor), but did not get affected.
- It came pre-charged, so I could start using it right-away, which of course, is always a good thing :-)
- The solar charging feature is very nice as well. It has a little red LED which shows when it is getting charged. It needs to be placed in direct sun light to get charged, and ambient light is not adequate for that.
- There is another little LED near the speaker which lights-up when it is ON. It's sound quality is fairly decent and it can get fairly loud as well, which is suprising for its small size. At max volume, I can hear it through my entire house, though, of course, there is more noise at that level.
- The packaging indicates it is acceptable for outdoor use. So I expect to carry it with me while gardening, and in the bathroom while taking a shower or bath. I was able to hear it even over the sound of the water.
- It even has a little antenna that can be pulled-out, as shown in the picture. But I haven't needed to use it yet.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This was a gift so i did not receive any feedback,it seemed to work from what i saw tho.Published 8 months ago by Kay Chubbuck
Perfect little do-dad for your home emergency kit or your auto travel kit. No dead or rotten batteries to worry about, just there when you need it.Published 9 months ago by Lucbob32
used for whole year with zero problems, wish it had digital tunerPublished 11 months ago by Jeremy H
This is a GEM! I am always looking for the best in kinetic powered radios and flashlights. For the money, this one is pretty good! However, I almost never crank it. Read morePublished 12 months ago by Ohpattigee
Had mine for 5 years plus, and it is still working great. It takes abuse well.. It has even fallen of my bike while riding on the blacktop, and is still going strong.Published 17 months ago by Big Earl Hoober-Schnoober
Worked great until it broke after about 9 months. It stopped charging.Published 18 months ago by Highly Evolved
We picked this up for our emergency bag that we keep packed for storms and such. We haventy really had to use it yet but its nice to know its ready and waiting if we do. Read morePublished 19 months ago by mrfixit2011
I got this for my bug out bag. I like it a lot. Compact, light weight, simple. I didn't want all the fluff and features of the Eton models and frankly, at the time they weren't... Read morePublished 22 months ago by Negative459
I bought this as a gift for my mother. She loves that the radio runs by solar power while she's gardening, and if there's a cloud the battery will pull it through to the next... Read morePublished on February 2, 2014 by Dan M.