Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kill Alex Cross
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 22, 2011
I have been a constant reader of every Alex Cross book since the beginning and am a major fan.
They are usually exciting and great entertainment for a few hours. I really look forward to them.

But then comes this stinker.
The plot seems like cheap cardboard. I was one step ahead of every twist and I'm usually far from that good.
The character development was nil.
The home backstory that I always enjoy was reduced to tossing in a random girl, a hardly filled out charter school and leaving it at that.

Alex, who is brilliant, bumbled his way through the book and the villain, who doesn't hold a candle to Kyle Craig or even Gary Seneji, is reputed to be really smart and Alex can't get a take on him. I didn't buy it for a minute.

The terrorist villains were even more cardboard.

It seemed to me that this was the sort of outline that Patterson would give to one of his factory workers to turn it into something palatable. The major plot points were there, but the color was sorely missing.

Maybe Patterson is trying out a new marketing strategy of a series of "write your own Alex Cross book" since that what this one seemed to me. It was nothing more than notes for a potentially good book.

Alex seemed weak and nasty.
Nana seemed even too strident for her usual over-the-top portrayal.
The kids got short shrift.
Sampson was there for as place holder.

We deserve better.
Lots better.
99 comments| 182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2011
The last few books I have read were all missing something. When I picked up my first James Patterson book I could not put it down. The story lines were great. Each chapter begged you to read the next. Now I think that Mr. Patterson is writing too many books too fast. They all start out strong but seem to fizzle in the end. I am not so eager to run out and purchase his next book. I really enjoyed reading his books and now feel very disappointed. So I ask respectfully, please slow down.
44 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2011
Almost, in that much like THE TRIAL, which I read not long ago, KILL ALEX CROSS threatens to be excellent but only manages to be average at best. As with THE TRIAL the subject matter is engrossing and the storyline potentially epic but somehow just not given the full justice it deserves. I felt that a lot of the story was just skimmed over and the reader was left to make up the detail themselves. The President's children being kidnapped and an impending terrorist attack are dealt with by Alex as if he is taking a walk in the park rather than dealing with two national emergencies at once. Even the violence seems to have been thinned out and lacking in any emotional intensity.

Another reviewer said that they couldn't put their finger on what was missing, I think I can, time and effort. Patterson's chapters seem to have got shorter and shorter to the point of ridiculousness. I think this is more to add page numbers to the novels than a ploy to speed up the pace. It seems that quantity may have replaced quality, which is backed up by the number of co-writers Patterson seems to be working with.

I love the Alex Cross character and series but found this just didn't make the grade I'm afraid. Maybe it's time for a new direction? Either that or add another 100 pages and fill in the blanks!
55 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 26, 2011
I have to disagree with the other reviews on here - this latest Alex Cross novel is fantastic! The President of the United States has had his two teenage children kidnapped from their high-security school whilst at the same time, terrorist attacks are being carried out all over Washington DC. It's Alex's job, as well as pretty much every department imaginable, to see whether these two major incidents are connected as well bringing the children to safety and stopped further attacks on the capital.

As always with this series, the action is pretty much non-stop from the opening chapter. Old characters return and new ones are introduced and as the story is told from many points of view rather than just from Alex's this time it gives a bigger picture of this exciting tale as it unfolds. The story is continually fast-paced and thoroughly exciting, it had me sneaking a read of it every chance I could get (I love having the Kindle app on my iPhone!).

I've been looking forward to this book all year and I wasn't disappointed. If you're a fan of the series then I would definitely recommend reading this. It's gone from the serial killer thriller territory to a more anti-terrorism theme and it works very well. I just wish James Patterson would hurry up with the Alex Cross/Women's Murder Club cross-over that was hinted in Cross Fire (Alex Cross) now.
77 comments| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2011
I have loved the Alex Cross series but was so disappointed with this latest book. James Patterson's books are usually fast reads for me but this one was such a drag. The title is very misleading, sounding like the book is going to be about someone trying to kill Alex. That idea was covered in a single paragraph in one of the last chapters and I couldn't see that it was ever a focal point of the story. Both plots - the kidnapping of the President's children and the terrorist group's activities - never really developed. I'm sure the female terrorist who disappeared at the end of the book will appear again in a future book. This one wasn't worth the time it took to read it.
44 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2011
I have loved every book in the James Patterson (Alex Cross) Series. I was very excited to read this new addition to the series. To my disappointment it was not what I had expected. The excitement and mystery were left out of this book. I did read the whole book in the hopes it would get better but it just did not have the usual page turning effect that all the other books have. Don't get me wrong, I love James Patterson and he is an amazing Author, it is just my opinion this book was the worst in the series. I also know how hard it must be to continue on with a series for so long. I am sure there is only so much you can write about. I feel this book could have been better.
on September 16, 2011
Kill Alex Cross is almost a good installment of this series; Alex almost shows more than two emotions, almost has to make a tough moral decision, and I think a plot twist almost happens.

As it is however, K.A.C. is really only half a novel. Despite a rather extreme plotline of the president's children going missing, and a potential plot that may rival 9/11, Patterson doesn't bother to put in the authorly effort required to pull this melodrama off.

Even with the nation-shaking events mentioned above, there is very little sense that the Washington Alex lives in is in the midst of crisis. We do hear Cross talking about all the acronyms (FBI, CIA, NSA etc) but aside from fairly run of the mill jurisdiction tussles the story just feels like another weekly murder mystery.

Plot aside, the prose of K.A.C. isn't quite as agonising as Cross!! Country!!!, however trademark exclamation points do make a few too many appearances, especially in the beginning chapters. Point of View leapfrogs around like an electrocuted toad and the humour of this book is hit-and-miss at best.

I'm trying desperately to avoid a spoiler here, but I have to say that rather than tying together several different strands of plot, Patterson mangles together two concepts, both too big for their boots, and leaves a feeling of 'how many fan-fiction short stories did I just read?'

Let me be clear - I'm extra ranty because this was almost a good book. There is some killer action, and some tense moments. For die-hard fans this is a must read. For people with more than half a brain: not so sure this one is worth it.
44 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2011
I was excited about this book and bought it only to find that no one is actually trying to kill alex cross. The book is almost a rehash of an earlier novel Along Came a Spider. The book doesn't have a good story line, sufficient action, or mystery and is just dull. Skip it!!
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2011
This could be one of the worst books I've ever read. Not just the worst James Patterson, but up there in the top ten worst ever. No character development, (I found myself hating them all as I tried to make myself finish the book), the plot is ridiculous and just so predictable, 'Kill Alex Cross' refers to about the last ten pages and amounts to nothing, the grammar and use of infantile wording reminded me of something my seven year old would produce for class.
You must have a very deep lack of respect for your readers, Mr Patterson, and really if this is the best you can do, I don't know why you bother. I suppose you do it for the cash, and expect people to buy it just on your reputation. As far as I'm concerned the only reputation you now have is a writer who's run out of ideas and keeps churning the same crap out at an ever increasing speed to reel in as much cash as possible before your public wakes up. Can't believe some people gave this rubbish five stars. Just give it away James, and rest on your laurels. You're embarrassing yourself.
on December 26, 2011
I truly cant believe this book. I am a true "Alex Cross" fan and I have read all of the Cross series and LOVE them!! Then along came this horrible insult to the cross series. Is Mr Patterson so interested in cranking out a new book that he has lost interest in his own character? This book seemed quickly written and each character was very poorly developed. Save your money and your time on this one, it is not worth it!! Sorry Mr Patterson, this book was awful!! A complete insult to the Alex Cross series!! it was as if someone else wrote this book,,, just awful.