Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on December 12, 2010
I enjoyed this book and read it cover to cover in one 12 hour shot. A terrific read that, months later still has me speculating about the life changing journey of Charlie.

As a woman who hates televised professional sports (I admit to enjoying a live game or two!), I found myself relating to Charlie on many levels. There were many laugh aloud moments that had my husband asking..."what's so funny". Needless to say, Weeding touched my heart with her witty and far fetched tale.

In her "off the beaten path" story, Weeding will take you for an unexpected, yet delightful ride, kind of like recess for your brain.
on April 16, 2010
Charlie Score - ya gotta love her. She's so practical. She makes lists. Truth is, I didn't expect to love her quite as much as I did. I mean, she's setting about some dark work. But she's so damned cute about it.

The "same old story" with women is the notion that a sub-standard man can be changed. Weeding creates its opposite, the seemingly terrific man who changes despite everything. Billy goes from handsome hottie and devoted dream man to serious spud. He lives his life in a recliner so thoroughly that I was horrified for poor Charlie. I keep wanting to add more here but I refuse to spoil the read for anyone.

Suffice it to say that this is a hysterical story. Ms. Weeding is a master of understated humor. She gets you laughing so hard you just can't stop. Yet through the humor she weaves a story of heartache, tenderness, loss and redemption. She's a masterful storyteller and she'll keep you laughing, and empathizing, from cover to cover. An excellent summer read!
on April 28, 2013
The story flowed and was amusing but, I absolutely could not stand the main character Charlie until the last chapter or two. I found it absurd that an educated career woman with no kids would allow herself to be treated like a servant instead of simply 86 ing the whole marriage. Other than that pretty cute.
on July 25, 2013
To Kill An Armchair Husband is a good book for anyone who wants a hilarious quick read. It's about a woman named Charlie Score who is fed up with her lazy husband that is addicted to watching sports and his mistress - the armchair. She comes up with a pros and cons list of killing him. The pros seem to outway the cons so she comes up with plan.

Minor Spoiler Alert:
He doesn't die on first try. So she tries again in the most interesting ways. She tries to kill him through making love aggressive love and slipping pills into his beer. It finally works and he passes on and enjoys his time with his chair in heaven while she goes on vacation to think about it and she realizes that she really did love him after all.

I enjoyed reading this book and will look forward to reading more books by the author in the future. I would recommend this book to anyone.
on April 29, 2013
I don't even know where to begin. I feel like I wasted the last five hours of my life reading this book. I wasn't expecting the Great American Novel, but I did expect the story to stay on target. When the protagonist's objective was achieved halfway through the book, I was highly confused: how can there be so much book left? The answer? Because the rest of the book went on a wild goose chase involving other people and their internal drama, plus a really random 'challenge' for the VICTIM - I just... what did I just read????
on May 22, 2013
This is quite possibly the worst book I've ever read. If I had a hard copy instead of the kindle version, I would burn it! Everyone was unlikeable. After the death of the armchair dweller, everyone devolved. No redeeming qualities to be found anywhere in anyone. What an idiotic ending!
11 comment3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2013
To Kill An Armchair Husband is one of those books that even the most misanthropic, woman-hating husband will have a hard time not loving. And even if you're being a traitor to your sex, it's hard not to laugh at the antics of put-upon every-woman Charlie as she plots to kill her schlub of a husband, Billy, and get away with it. Billy was a good husband three years ago, but seduced by The Chair and the Big Screen Television and enabled by his desert-cooking mom Mona, he's become a fat parody of every insensitive, gluttonous slob of a television addicted sports-obsessed couch potato. There is no conversation except in rare intervals during commercials, no life together beyond the living room, no sex unless poor Charlie climbs upon the engorged hulk of a thing which used to have a really nice ass and does ALL the work. This is like a very, very dark version of Married With Children where Al Bundy surrendered to the lure of the television screen and was lost never to be seen again.

So what's a terminally frustrated, former hot-wife to do but - kill the slob? From Charlie's viewpoint, it doesn't really seem like that extreme a step. And the practical difficulties of doing away with Billy without being caught or arousing Mona's suspicions make for one laugh after another. Of course, you can't think seriously about anything in the book without realizing we're in some deep and dark waters. In real life this would be a domestic tragedy. And what makes this book work as more than just a "Married With Children" farce is the very real sadness underlying the humor. Farce works best when there's some heart under the humor, and this story has both.

Billy is more than a feminist summation of everything bad about knuckle dragging men, and Charlie is more than a shrill caricature of every terminally put-upon wife who's "mad as hell and not going to take it anymore." Billy is a real person who has reasons for being such a total and absolute failure as a husband, none of which Charlie will ever comprehend. And Charlene is a woman who learns too late that in getting your heart's desire, you can lose your heart's desire.

None of which should indicate that this is in any way a deep or meaningful examination of modern marital stresses. What it is is a funny story of the eternal battle of male and female in marriage with the reminder that when a husband or wife wins a final victory, usually both sides are losers.

I didn't like the ending, which is the only thing I didn't like about this breezy, fast moving, easily absorbed modern little marital fable. And if you are daydreaming about murdering your spouse, this might be a good story to read first!
on May 6, 2013
Like other reviewers, I find myself on the fence about this book. I read the book all the way through in less than a day, so I know I enjoyed it because I made the time to read it. I like dark comedies and that is what attracted me to this book in the first place. Also, I have an armchair husband who also happens to be a GB Packers fan (luckily for him, I enjoy football just as much as he does). Yes, there have been times I want to kill him, but I found the premise of this a bit absurd and the main character unlikeable (to me); although she was funny.

Why wouldn't you just stop waiting on him hand and foot? He wasn't abusive or anything. I fail to understand how killing him would have been in any way easier than divorce. They had no kids and she had her own job. Still, I read on because I wanted to know what happened - and hoped for redemption for the husband, oddly enough. I don't want to give anything away, but suffices to say that I found myself rooting for the poor husband who wasn't a bad guy and in the end was trying to change. Midway through the book it just got ridiculous and totally, completely unbelievable.

Having said all of that, it was still a quick and enjoyable read. I would recommend it to you if you like dark comedy, can appreciate the humor in this content, and have a husband whom you may or may not have considered killing a time or two. ;)
on May 5, 2013
I picked up this book because of the reviews saying how funny and full of laugh out loud moments it was. I'd have to disagree with those reviews; I don't think I found myself laughing more than once or twice for the entire book.

On the other hand, I didn't find myself putting it down either; the author's writing style is pretty entertaining. The main character, upset with her husband for hibernating in front of the television indefinitely, decides to murder him; naturally she needs to spend some time deciding if that's really what she wants to go and figuring out the best way to go about it.

SPOILER ALERT: NEXT PARAGRAPH

I found myself surprised when, halfway through the book, she actually succeeds; I had expected it go to on as a comedy of errors. Instead, the later half shows how the characters deal with the death (including, as it turns out, the dead guy).

I rate this about 3 1/2 stars; it was a good concept and the writing keeps you reading, but there wasn't anything particularly memorable and I have no particular desire to read it again.
on August 13, 2013
This book was extremely funny. I enjoyed the read and read it very quickly, howvver there were several noticeable grammatical errors.