4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent ending leading into a plot twist., June 5, 2014
This review is from: Kill Shakespeare Volume 2 (Paperback)
After eating up volume 1 like it was my last literary meal, i plunged into volume two only to discover a story ending, but then a giant plot twist appearing. totally had a "are you effing serious" moment. recommend this series to anyone and everyone that remotely enjoys shakespeare

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Kill Shakespeare Volume 2 (Paperback)
Not a bad implimentation of Shakespearian characters. I hope to see more. I was a little disappointed in Shakespeare himself, but overall a fun jaunt.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, February 28, 2013
This review is from: Kill Shakespeare Volume 2 (Paperback)
This series is just perfect for a Bardolator like me who also happens to love comics. It's delightful to see the characters interact inside a world in which they all exist--many of whom remain true to the spirit of their roots. Falstaff, in particular, being fat, cross-dressing, and obscene is a great distillation of the incorrigible knight. This volume's tone, while grimmer and darker than the first, still managed to blend a number of different aspects of the genres of Shakespeare originals, yet still speak with a distinctive voice.

I have to say, though, that the conjugation of the speech bothered me from the first word to the last. I found myself having to mentally edit their "Old English" speech so that the verbs correctly correlated with the proper nouns, which was an irritation but by no means a deal breaker. I understand that there's a less-initiated audience this comic is trying to appeal to--which is why I gave it 4 stars--but it felt like the product, in the end, suffered because of the looseness in the language. By no means was I expecting elevated language--just correct English, "Old" (which Shakespeare isn't) or otherwise.

Should you buy it? Yes. Of course. Anything with Shakespeare as a focus is worth looking into, and this does justice to the spirit of the Bard. This series is great, and I hope for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, December 16, 2012
This review is from: Kill Shakespeare Volume 2 (Paperback)
Interesting and great story. Also good way for students to look at the characters in Shakepeare's plays!
You should get both volumes though, having just volume 2 dosen't tell the whole story.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thoroughly enjoyed Kill Shakespeare and I'll recommend the series to everyone., June 29, 2012
This review is from: Kill Shakespeare Volume 2 (Paperback)
Here's a teaser of my review for it:

"Kill Shakespeare is an intense, thrilling, and a highly exciting narrative that is full of crazy puns and references galore to Shakespeare's various plays, all of which combine to deliver one of the best reading experiences ever!" ~The Founding Fields

Where to start really. As someone who has only read the play versions of Macbeth and Twelfth Night and heavily abridged versions of some of Shakespeare's other plays, Kill Shakespeare is a beautifully-imagined world that has something for everyone. We have the endless scheming of Richard and Lady Macbeth, the heroisms of Othello and Romeo, the villainy of Iago, the good-natured foolishness of Falstaff, the faith of Romeo, the courage of Juliet, and amongst all of them, Hamlet's drive for vindication. There are twists and turns in every issue as the writers move the reader ever closer to that inevitable meeting between Hamlet and Shakespeare himself. There is love and romance, betrayal and friendship.

Its not something that is easy to describe for me. I burned through the two volumes in less than two days and every single moment of the reading experience was, in its own way, unique. For myself, I think being largely unfamiliar with Shakespeare's plays really worked to draw me in because while the overarching narrative is very, very different from the plays themselves, certain character arcs are quite surprising. You never really can predict what is going to happen next. Will Iago betray Othello, Juliet and Hamlet? Will Lady Macbeth and King Richard succeed in their nefarious scheming? Is Hamlet really the prophecied Shadow King who is going to bring the god-magician Will Shakespeare back?

You can find the full review on The Founding Fields at:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, January 16, 2012
This review is from: Kill Shakespeare Volume 2 (Paperback)
The conclusion to Kill Shakespeare offers a very satisfying conclusion to the story that was set up in the first collection. No spoilers here, but it's safe to say everyone gets what he or she had coming -- for better or worse.

The art is very distinctive, and the story telling remains faithful to the character motivations Shakespeare established in his plays. With that, it's worth noting that the page layout is particularly eye-catching. (As someone with a background in literature, I wasn't expecting to have that sort of thing catch my eye; but it sure did.)

Personally, I'm very happy with the book.

Kill Shakespeare Volume 2
Kill Shakespeare Volume 2 by Conor McCreery (Paperback - November 22, 2011)
$19.99 $15.22