on February 7, 2012
Kill Shot is the sequel to American Assassin, which itself was a prequel to the long running series featuring Mitch Rapp. This book contines the story of Rapp's development as an asset for the CIA. He has spent his first year "running solo" - infiltrating the world's terror cells and killing with purpose. The spree has not gone unnoticed and elements of the terrorist networks want the killing to stop.

The turning point is an attempt on a Libyan diplomat in Paris. The kill goes all wrong and Rapp must fight his way out - leaving behind carnage and a mess that needs accountability - from someone. Rapp is unwilling to trust his fellow spies at the CIA and his longtime nemesis, Stan Hurley, uses this to target Rapp as a problem that needs to be eliminated.

Flynn deftly tells his story, even though longtime readers can discern some of the outcome just by having read "future" installments. I did not know how he was going to weave a taut thriller with so much of the story having been already written - but he manages superbly. Flynn layers the past artfully, giving us pieces of the history that will make Rapp lethal.

The stand alone story within this prequel is full of duplicity and the reader must decide what is justified and how often does the official story deviate from the truth? But it is clear why Rapp forges his own moral code and trusts so few.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Want to have a fun conversation? Walk up to someone reading this book and ask them if this is the 12th or 2nd book in the series. Whatever answer they choose, you give the opposite. Prepare to duck and run. I have been a fan of Vince Flynn ever since his books stumbled into my life about three years ago. Even if he was to write a book about growing horse toenails in Fishhook, Alaska, I would still read it. Thank the lord Jesus, however, this book is nothing like that!

Vince brings back the young Mitch Rapp in a book that ought to come with a prescription for Niacin. Why? You'll need something to counter the adrenaline. If you've had the pleasure of reading about Mitch, you know that he is a "man's man" and has absolutely NO tolerance for BS and bad guys. And that is when he was... "Mature". Can you imagine this killing machine in his younger years? Can you imagine a weapon with the body of Greek sculpture, a mind as sharp as Tesla, and the natural killing instinct of a Megalodon? You can if you know Mitch Rapp.

Mitch has completed his training and has been let loose on the unsuspecting world. He is a tsunami of pure destruction. Precise destruction. The only thing he leaves in his wake is the bodies of dead terrorists. A-MEN! Unfortunately, with this type of success, from a rookie no doubt, there starts to fester some resentment and jealously. And not only with our enemies. Hurley and Victor have their personal reasons for not liking Mitch, but will it interfere with the #1 objective... to keep America safe?

This mission finds Mitch in Paris and he has graciously exploded the head of some well deserving terrorist filth when the tables are turned. Our boy has been set up... and set up good. The ensuing firefight leaves more blood on the floor than an exploding vampire. Unfortunately Mitch gets wounded. And a wounded Mitch Rapp is a pissed Mitch Rapp. And a pissed Mitch Rapp is a deadly Mitch Rapp (see above Megalodon reference). Thus ensues a cat and mouse maze that Flynn's fan has come to expect as one of the BEST in the game.

Scientist dream about going back in time and witnessing the "big bang". Witnessing the unimaginable explosion that started it all. That's the perfect analogy to explain what it's like reading about the young Mitch. Powerful. Destructive. Unrelenting. Violent. Violent. Violent. Just the way it ought to be.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
An Amazon.com official commented on the review below
I was a little hesitant to purchase this due to the less than stellar reviews but Flynn's previous entry in the series, "American Assassin" also received mixed reviews and was very enjoyable so I took the plunge. Unfortunately, not only is most of this book mediocre, I felt cheated on the price. Don't be fooled by the length of the book - the story ends at 72% in. The rest of the 28% is excerpts from every other Vince Flynn book. The end result is a book I was able to finish in a few hours. I definitely expected more bang for my buck and feel cheated by the publisher and author.

As a previous reviewer stated, the plot was less than riveting and some parts of the plot just seem contrived and predictable because the author was at a loss how to move the story forward. The ending was rushed and abruptly dropped the entire story leaving me with a "that's it?" feeling. It feels like the Mitch Rapp series has met it's end and I will probably not be buying the next book unless it has stellar reviews.
3333 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
An Amazon.com official commented on this review (What's this?)
Based on customer feedback, we have worked with the author and publisher to make available a new version of this book. You can get this new version by going to the Manage Your Kindle page at http://amazon.com/MYKupdate. Find the book in your Kindle Library and click on the "update available" link next to the book's title. Within 5 minutes, any of your devices that have the eBook currently downloaded and have an active wireless connection will be updated automatically.

Please take a moment to read the following letter from Vince Flynn:

Dear Mitch Rapp fans,

I would like to apologize for some of the confusion that occurred for those of you who read Kill Shot in the digital format. We thought readers would enjoy being able to read excerpts from all of my backlist, but as it turns out, we've heard otherwise from many of you.

All of this free material was counted as part of the book and led readers to believe they still have 29% of the book left to read when in fact Kill Shot has just ended. Managing your expectations is something I take very seriously, and I understand your frustration. If I was on a plane and I thought I was only two thirds of the way through a book and it abruptly ended I would be very disappointed.

We heard you and we fixed this. I appreciate your patience on the matter and I apologize for any disappointment or frustration that it has caused.

Sincerely,
Vince Flynn
He's baaack! In KILL SHOT we see the return of Mitch Rapp in a role that he is comfortable in, that of the arm of justice and honor for the country he loves. Taking a painful incident from our country's history and exacting revenge for the loss of innocent life, Rapp is on his way to carry out a mission that the world would applaud...if they knew it was going on. Its covert status is what has made it such a success, but when it is discovered, that is when Rapp sees that he might be on his own if he is going to survive.

For me this book really strikes a chord because it reminds all of us what freedom is not free, and decisions are sometimes made for the good of a people that might have consequences we might not be able to foresee and be prepared for. In the case of Mitch Rapp we are able to get a look at the man behind the sense of duty. Flynn shows us that he is not as concerned about himself as he is about those he puts in harm's way, like Greta. One of the best two lines in the book that sums up the life that Mitch Rapp has chosen is this: "Greta wanted to ask him why he needed to bring a gun if there was no risk, but she knew it was a stupid question. His whole life was a risk, and she'd been trying to ignore that fact for as long as she'd known him."

Is there anyone who can take readers through events that are so eerily real and frighteningly thrilling as literary mastermind Vince Flynn. Just as you begin to think there is no way he can top the last book he returns with something so delicious that it makes the reader want to slow down and savor each and every page.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This book opens with a shocker before you even get into the story: Vince Flynn acknowledges he has cancer and thanks many of the people who have helped and supported him during his treatment. I wish him a full recovery.

And then into the story. The time is about a year after Mitch Rapp has been permitted to essentially run free and destroy America's enemies.

He is in Paris and has just put a couple of shots into the head of the sleeping Libya Oil Minister. The door to the hotel suite crashes open and silenced sub-machine guns spew out hundreds of rounds. Mitch quickly adds to his body count and makes his escape. One gun man has survived and wounds Mitch.

Mitch escapes, but now he trusts no one. He thinks he has been set up - and because his missions are held so tightly, the only people who could betray him are on his own team! Anyone familiar with Mitch Rapp will know the characters Stansfield, the boss of CIA covert operations; Kennedy, Rapp's immediate boss and Stan Hurley, the retired CIA operative who despises Rapp and his goon, Victor, who has fantasies of killing Rapp.

Rapp doesn't know his friends or enemies are, so he goes silent and this triggers an operation to make contact with him in Paris. Who is sent? Why the two people who want to kill him.

Anything more and we're beyond what the dust jacket tells you.

This is a very different kind of Mitch Rapp and I'm not so sure I like it as well as its predecessors. I prefer the Mitch Rapp who is saving America by torturing and killing its enemies. In this novel, Rapp's normal diet of violence is distracted by other interests and plot twists.

Still, once I started reading, I couldn't put the book down until I finished. The ending was also unusual and I am not sure it was satisfying.

In all, a different approach from Vince Flynn. I think he misses the mark that have made his other books so outstanding.

But like I said, "Kill Shot" is still a page-turner.

Jerry
on February 7, 2012
This book was about what I expected. While it may not be as good as some of Flynn's earlier efforts, it still has that "can't put it down" quality to it, as evidenced by the fact that I read it and finished it in a few hours.

This book does a good job of fleshing out a few characters introduced in American Assassin like Stan Hurley and "Victor" which I enjoyed. Again, not one of the best Rapp novels but it certainly wasn't a dudd, either.
on February 9, 2012
The author was obviously digging pretty hard, to put this story together, which did not add to the luster of his previous Mitch Rapp books, and we certainly didn't need another prequeal.

This was a 3 time put down/pick up book for me, which just droned along on a meandering path, and unfortunately there is no desire to discuss it further. If you are expecting the usual high tension, action packed Rapp thriller...I'm sorry to say that Kill Shot misses the mark.

I know Mr. Flynn is ill, and as such I could not bring myslf to rate him 2 stars, especially after all the reading enjoyment he has provided in the past.
VINE VOICEon February 10, 2012
Immediately on the heels of American Assassin: A Thriller, the story of Rapp's earliest days with the CIA, comes "Kill Shot", in which we follow Rapp on his first solo foray in the field.

Rapp is working his way through a list of targets sanctioned for execution, and when he approaches his current target in a Paris hotel room things go drastically wrong. Rapp is ambushed by a team of killers, wounded, and barely manages to make his escape. Innocent civilians are killed in the gunfight. The French police and national intelligence organizations respond immediately, creating a problem for Rapp's bosses at the Agency and setting the stage for a possible diplomatic crisis. Rapp's on the run, wounded, and doesn't know who he can trust, as it's obvious there's a leak in his own organization.

On the home front, concern mounts as young Rapp fails to contact his superiors. What happened? Has he gone rogue? Is he even still alive? Will he have to be executed to prevent a diplomatic break with France? Can this disaster be salvaged?

This is an exciting story of the development of America's premiere intel operative in his early days while he's still earning his stripes. Fast-paced, never a dull moment, this book was thoroughly enjoyable.

It's different from the rest of the series in that at this point in his career, Rapp is still a low-level weapon used by his country to achieve tactical, rather than strategic, goals. So we don't see the high-level political machinations that are the norm in the rest of the series (with the other exception being "American Assassin", for obvious reasons). So in that respect, it's a less complex story than the usual Rapp fare.

But don't let that deter you; there's still plenty to like in this high-octane offering from Vince Flynn. A solid 4 stars.
1313 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2012
This is the book I've been waiting for. For fans of the series (and I a big fan), this brings background and understand to the novels that proceeded this one. Just as with American Assassin, we are taken back in time to the formation of the lethal killing machine we witness in earlier (in terms of publication date) books in the series.
Mitch Rapp is a year removed from the events of American Assassin and has acting like a grim Santa: he has a list, it's been checked twice, now he's removing the naughty while sparing the nice. And by removing, I'm mean killing. The only problem is, the more success Mitch has, the more enemies he makes. Unfortunately, those enemies include people who should be on his side and they're willing to do whatever it takes to stop Mitch, no matter what.
I'll steer clear of the details, except to say that a good sized body count is piled up and there are a lot of twists and turns. So, my recommendation is to clear a day, settle in somewhere comfortable and begin. Enjoy the ride, I know I did.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
When you have written over a dozen books based around the same character (Mitch Rapp) there must come a time when an author starts to run out of steam. Having got to the end of the original time-line, in American Assassin Vince Flynn wrote a prequel of the early days of Mitch Rapp - this book is the sequel of the prequel! Some authors can get away with this (so far Lee Child has changed the timing of his Jack Reacher novels pretty successfully) but with this book Vince Flynn is starting to run out of steam.

No longer do we see the Mitch Rapp who gets involved with doing great things that impact the government of the country (including his close relationship with the fictional US President and battles with Cabinet and Congress leaders). Here we see Mitch in his early days as an assassin with a kill list of persons associated with terrorism.

Because of betrayal one of his kills goes badly wrong. The action is fast and furious, the old characters are there in less senior CIA positions, but it lacks the important panache and settings of the earlier books in the series.

I read recently that Vince Flynn is being treated for advanced prostate cancer. He seems to be facing up to this in a Mitch Rapp way when he says that it is "a battle I do not plan on losing". I wish him well and hope to read more of his books in the future.

I purchased this book from Australia on pre-release at a low price and was sent the US edition - and I have posted this review on that edition's ASIN number, which already has 140 reviews (average 3 stars). I am posting this review again on the Australian ASIN number as there is only one review so far on that edition (not surprising as there may not be many sales as the Australian price set by the publisher is 66% higher than the current price for the US edition).