5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Book for Today's World.
This was a debut novel of a feisty, loyal, brave Insurance/Mortgage agent, Rhetta McCarter. Rhetta is married to a retired Judge, now artist, and enjoys her life and friends. Her associate is an Afganistan/Iraq war veteran, Woody. Woody has PTSD but is loyal to his wife, Rhetta, and the U.S. of A.

A German nationalist (Green Card) citizen has come to their bank...
Published on November 8, 2011 by L. Rigod

3.0 out of 5 stars Smart amateurs, stupid professionals
A mortgage banker uncovers a terrorist plot that threatens to turn the nation dark by starting with the Midwest grid. That is certainly believable. Rhetta and her sidekick Woody are smart and courageous, but almost every member of law enforcement all levels and in all agencies was portrayed as totally incompetent. It was hard for me to suspend disbelief that two amateurs...
Published 8 months ago by Lillian Ammann (Lillie)

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Book for Today's World., November 8, 2011
This review is from: Killerwatt (Paperback)

A German nationalist (Green Card) citizen has come to their bank to refinance his home. Both Rhetta and Woody have a funny 'feeling' about him and his silent wife. Just after receiving his money, which was a large amount, the client dies rather mysteriously. As they are the insurance agents on record, Rhetta and Woody go to the auto impound to 'look' around. What they find is terrifying and no one will listen to them.

One thing is for sure, everyone who sees the document, dies.

This is a fast-paced, exciting, quirky, and at times frustrating novel of suspense. The crime is all too real. The frustration comes from knowing that Rhetta is right, no one will give you a listen. You will be considered paranoid.

This is an excellent novel and I hope the characters continue on in a new adventure for us to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Start To New Series!, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Killerwatt (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed Killerwatt and being introduced to protagonist Rhetta McCarter. She's spunky, smart, determined and opinionated - everything a reader wants in a leading lady and amateur sleuth. The book is set in Missouri and painted with such care you'll feel like you're zooming along the back roads, riding shotgun in Rhetta's prize Camaro. I'm looking forward to the next one in this series and seeing more of Rhetta, her charming husband, and the other folks populating this exciting read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly fun book, December 1, 2011
Team Lewis (Nashville TN USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killerwatt (Paperback)
Sharon Woods Hopkins has brought to life the wonderfully sassy and smart , Rhetta MCarter in her debut novel, KillerWatt. McCarter, a woman working in the mortgage industry finds herself with evidence of a terrorist plot after a customer winds up dead shortly after a refinance. The Police, the Feds, and even her husband refuse to believe her. Only Woody, a coworker and former Marine is willing to help her stop the terrorist and thwart their plans to cripple the nation.
Killerwatt is as fun and fast-paced as riding around in McCarter's '79 Camero with the top down. Well-rounded characters and great writing make the frighteningly real terrorist scenario come to life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, February 18, 2012
This review is from: Killerwatt (Kindle Edition)
Sharon Woods Hopkins knocked this out of the park. She creates a suspenseful tale with well drawn, believable characters. She makes it credible that a terrorist plot could strike any place, not just big cities and centers of power.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, January 6, 2012
This review is from: Killerwatt (Kindle Edition)
Killerwatt was a fast-paced, fun read. I enjoyed the interactions between the characters. And as I read, I kept thinking what would I do if I were in that situation? -- you know, trying to save the world without having the skills and with only a few people to rely on. Ms. Hopkins leads us down the highway of anxiety with hope as a companion. Can't wait to read her next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Killerwatt by Sharon Woods Hopkins, December 11, 2011
scullr (St. Joseph, MO USA) - See all my reviews
Killerwatt by Sharon Woods Hopkins
A lot of my enjoyment of this most excellent novel and its tale derived from an imaginary journey.
I grew up in Cape Girardeau and I've actually met a fellow for coffee at Marble Hill. I know men who wear worn coveralls and battered, faded trade caps.
I know rural folk who learned such Biblical truths as in Acts 11:5-7 at the feet of their elders. They are very aware of how the law has twisted the truth of Ecclesiastes 3:1.
The highways in Killerwatt as well as the locations Jackson, Sikeston, Miner Switch and Bertrand are all familiar to me.
Both of my parents received treatment at St. Francis Hospital.
And I remember the Cape County Savings and Jackson Exchange Banks from years ago.
The attack was certainly believeable. It still could very well happen. The acts of the villian, while puzzling at first, made sense in the end.
The author also kept a good account of what each character learned and when. The tale just unfolded naturally.
I liked the protagonist, Rhetta MacCarter. She felt the full blunt, driving force of each setback. Unlike a superwoman she did not bounce back each time. But she recovered. The author made that very real.
For me the book was a page turner. I could not put it down. And I finished it at 1am the day after it came in the mail.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all nighter, October 20, 2011
This review is from: Killerwatt (Paperback)
Don't plan on sleeping once you start on this one. Sharon's characters are developed so well, you think you know them. Her humor and style make for a fun read while also making you think long and hard about our society today. I'm looking forward to many more titles from a talented author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Killerwatt, October 4, 2011
This review is from: Killerwatt (Kindle Edition)
This is a fabulous book that makes you think of the possibility of this occurring. Sharon has an amazing way of writing with both a thrilling plot and some unique characters. A must read

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one, October 11, 2011
This review is from: Killerwatt (Kindle Edition)
I started reading this on the train on my way to work. It's a good thing I go to the last stop on the line because I was so absorbed in the story, I'd have missed my stop otherwise! I'll be waiting eagerly for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly Good!, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Killerwatt (Paperback)
I read this book in one sitting. Sharon's use of character and plot, coupled with her blending of scene, incorporation of sensory backdrops, and use of strong drama makes for a page-turning winner.

Our feisty protagonist is believable, full of grit, funny, sarcastic, curious, determined and vivacious. As the story progresses towards the ending (which I won't give away here), the reader is completely caught up in the moment and the tension.

I would highly recommend this book as a great read to anyone; but I'd have to caution them to find some undistracted time to commit themselves to reading it through from cover-to-cover as they'll not want to put it down.

Great job!

Looking forward to the sequel!

Killerwatt