Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on May 23, 1998
This series is phenomenal up to and including the third book. I'm in Australia (where it is called "The third day, the frost") and have read the two books that follow "Frost" as well: "Darkness, be my friend" and "Burning for revenge". Numbers 1-3 really get the adrenaline pumping. You'll be addicted as soon as you pick one up. I remember walking around the house carrying my copy, finishing it at 4 am, my homework ignored. And at the end of number three... Oh man. I howled!!!! To this day the ending brings tears to my eyes. But I'm not going to tell you what happens - read it yourself, but Be Warned, you'll spend the next few weeks in mourning. 1-3 are an emotional rollercoaster, but I have to say that if you're in America and anxiously waiting for the next episode you may be disappointed. Seems to me that either "Darkness" is a spin-off of the first three, (i.e an attempt by Marsden to capitalise on his earlier success) or his publisher has been on his case to get out the next books in a hurry. At the end, the characters are left in pretty much the same situation as when this book began. None of their attempts at sabotage have any effect this time around and I was left feeling unsatisfied and cheated. Overall, boring, and fairly pathetic when compared to the earlier 3. Number 5 was slightly better, but these two have merged into one in my head. I forget what happened in which book. Yawn!!
on October 24, 2015
I just finished this. Book and was of course impressed. For a YA novel the book is able to hold my attention. It has sufficient youth topics to keep younger audiences entertained and interested while at the same time having a depth that appeals to a more advanced readership.

That said I'm thoroughly disappointed with the edition that I purchased. I have the kindle copy. I know that when a book is converted to a digital format you must expect some errors to keep in. Generally, they are punctuation and editing mistakes. This book seems to have an error on at least every page and some of them are quite significant. For example, in one chapter every time they mentioned one of the characters, " Corrie" my edition rendered it "Come". Or when the verb "yelled" appeared it was prints as "veiled".

I know enough about literature to extrapolate the correct word from the context but I shouldn't have to. I chose this book for a nice easy read between my texts required for work and I shouldn't need to keep going back to try and figure out what the author wanted to say due to a typo.

If they fix the digitalization problems this book easily gets four or five stars. As is two is the most it merits.
on September 29, 2013
This book is one of a series. I lookled it up after seeing a movie "Tomorrow, When the War Began" based on a story by John Marsden. The movie had ended in a way that it looked like a sequel might be made so I watched the credits for the author and looked on Amazon. Well, didn't find another movie but found a whole series of books. Very good series that I am enjoying very much. Highly recommend for young and old. It is something that COULD happen; that's what is so scarry and interesting.
on April 26, 2012
"A Killing Frost" is the third book of the Tomorrow Series.

The narrative takes a deeper and more audacious focus towards guerilla warfare. Through this experience the characters develop enhanced emotionless towards the war and their occupiers.

Unlike the previous books the skirmishes that take place in this part of the series are less believable.

One of the most compelling aspects of this stage of the story is that Ellie, in particular, develops colder numbness when taking enemy lives and at the sight of death around her.

The next phase of each characters journey remains intriguing and so the need to keep reading is well ignited.

Nicholas R.W. Henning - Australian Author
on September 28, 2013
The book itself would get 5 stars. Like the others in the series it is well written and mostly quite believable. However, the Kindle edition is loaded with typos. I'm used to seeing that with the free Kindle books, but it is disappointing to pay full price for the book and then have to deal with random punctuation and misspellings. For the most part it isn't too difficult to figure out what it should say, but it can be a bit distracting.
on August 29, 2013
John Marsden is one of my favorite authors. His work makes the characters realistic and keeps you on the edge of your seat in adventure. This book arrived in excellent condition, was shipped well and quickly.
on July 12, 2015
I am captivated by this series (yes -- even as an adult)!! This is a book I wasn't able to put down! Fortunately I read it on a day when I COULD "just read." There is plenty of action to keep both young adult's and adult's complete attention. It reads like an action packed movie (as the first two books in the series did! It is a dystopian novel about a group of teens who go on a camping trip for a "vacation", return home, and find that everybody has disappeared. Their country has been attacking and everybody in their town is now in a central lock-up. They are prisoners. But these teens will never stop until they are able to get their families out of this prison. They become warriors in this unexpected war. Read the books (the whole series) to see how they were able to make a difference in this terrible war.

You will fall in love with the characters and laugh with them, cry with them, and more. Make sure you carve out a copious amount of time so you don't have to stop reading. This one is the third in the "Tomorrow" series. You won't WANT to put these books down until their last words!!!!
on July 2, 2014
The Killing Frost is probably the most intense and tragic book in the Tomorrow When the War Began Series. It opens with all of the characters really struggling to come to terms with their own inner demons. Instead of drawing together, though, they begin sniping at each other. The stress takes its toll on this group of teens in a very realistic fashion.

Once again, not content to sit around and let the enemy run amok in their country, they decide to strike back. They choose a target that is the most dangerous to date, but also far more strategic. Which means things are going to go horribly, horribly wrong.

Plot
John Marsden tells a gripping tale that keeps us on the edge of our seats. This story moves along at a faster pace than either of the two previous books and almost never lets up. As a result, I finished it in just three days – it was impossible to put down. While the plot careens along, Marsden doesn’t let up on his characters either. They have emotional as well as physical challenges that test not only themselves, but the bonds of their friendship. They might be in this war together, but when it comes right down to it, it’s the character you least expect that stands up and does what needs to be done.

Characters
The characters are all so incredibly real, it’s hard to remember they’re all just figments of our imaginations. I love how the author forces them to deal with the realities of the world they live in, rather than just existing alongside those realities. These are teens, afterall, and believably so. Even though they perform a number of truly selfless acts, they can’t escape the fact that at their ages, so much of their world revolves around them. Marsden crafts them beautifully so that we never forget this about them.

Bottom Line
A Killing Frost is a thrill-ride from the opening pages. It takes us on a heart-pounding journey through a fictional world we’d never want to live in, and yet we’re somehow better for having read about it.
on May 8, 1998
I would just like to say, you've got one thing wrong, the fourth book in the Tommorow When The War Began series is not called 'The Killing Frost' it is in actual fact called, 'The Third Day, The Frost'. Why have has it been changed in the US? I think the original title is much better and it is how John Marsden would like it to be called. John Marsden is the most brilliant author to come out of Australia in years. His books, especially this series, are amazing. The characters become part of you, and they make you laugh and cry. It is must for every teenager around the world to read these books, it's a necessity. The only down side is that you never want them to finish, and when they do, you just want more and more. So a big thank you to John Marsden, of whom i have been lucky enough to meet on several occasions, and keep up the brilliant writing.
on July 1, 2000
I think this book along with "burning for revenge"and "the other side of dawn"is one of the best.If you haven't read it yet I'd better not spoil it for you but they blow up something major ,get a little relief from the war and get one of their friends back.Idon't know why it's called "a killing frost" though because here in new zealand we call it" the third day the frost".Anyway READ THIS BOOK! just read the 1 and 2 first so you know what it's about