5.0 out of 5 stars Saw this on the history channel this weekend
Published 17 months ago by robb sososikwitit

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the book
Published 9 months ago by Rebecca L. Briley

5.0 out of 5 stars Saw this on the history channel this weekend, February 19, 2013
robb sososikwitit "big azz rabo" (Hialeah-La Ciudad del Fo-king Progreso Asere!!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killing Lincoln (DVD)
It's narrated by Tom Hanks. I, being an American history buff, really enjoyed this. A lot of cool facts about Lincoln's last days and about his killer, John Wilkes Booth and the conspiracy to kill Lincoln as well as Sec. of State Seward and VP Andrew Johnson. The actors did a great job and even look like the historical figures they portray. I like it so much that I watched it twice straight through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Booth the murderer, Hanks rides again, the sad story behind the end of Abraham Lincoln, February 23, 2013
This review is from: Killing Lincoln (DVD)
KILLING LINCOLN (Narr./Hosted Tom Hanks, 2013, 120 minutes, for the History Channel and National Geographic) is a deeply enjoyable reenactor's fondest dream. With a stunningly handsome fellow portraying John Wilkes Booth, this documentary lays out the most complex issues leading up to Booth's assassination of our 16th president skillfully.

Tom Hanks offers an almost academic, pitch-perfect narration seated near a nice old table, the way Alastair Cooke used to do Masterpiece Theater introductions. (No fireplace though.) With reenactments and commentary by scholars, this is actually a well rendered educational work. I do not care for education-via-reenactment, as I state every time I get a chance. I think it is tawdry, stupid, badly done, nothing more than a stepping stone for whatever it is stepping on the stones.

Here it is done with panache and respect for Lincoln. While I know this is a total tie-in for Steven Spielberg's Lincoln, and I do not begrudge anyone that advantage, this documentary has a zest and accuracy that I really enjoyed. I even loved the man who reenacted the presidential photographer Alexander Gardener, who is the same man who reenacted him in a couple of other Lincoln documentaries from this year and last year.

It was just a bit disappointing that the actor who did Lincoln for all of NatGeo's documentaries wasn't in evidence here ... at least I don't think that was him. But then the emphasis is totally on Booth, not on Lincoln at all. If you wish to see the truth as well as know it, or hear it spoken as they probably did at the time, this is your documentary. It ought to be shown at schools, and Tom Hanks deserves some kind of Emmy for his presentation/narration.

The Great Hanks, who is half Portuguese, is also a cousin of Lincoln. I realized this because it is my job to know: the Hanks Family became famous for a short while because they reminisced about Lincoln after he was assassinated. Dennis Hanks, Lincoln's first cousin who grew up with him, did a lot of the talking. Tom Hanks is Lincoln's third cousin four times removed.

Now if I could only learn about Hanks' Portuguese relatives! I have always wondered if Hanks is Jewish ... and his mother's maiden name, Fraga, suggests Sephardic roots. Hanks was Catholic, later converting to Eastern Orthodoxy.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great movie, June 17, 2013
Sue (Green Bay, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killing Lincoln (DVD)
I saw this movie yesterday and was pleased that it was vey close to the book.

Tom Hanks narrated the movie along with scenes that were acted out very well.

I read the book last year and loved it and now the movie is just as good as the book.

If you are interested in how Lincoln was shot and what happened after that, this is the movie to see. It goes in to detail on how the men plotted to kill Lincoln and two other men one was Andrew Johnson. It also shows how John Wilkes Booth was able to escape so he would not be caught.

I though this was a great movie and is one I will watch over again. There is a lot of information in this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good...could have been better., June 14, 2013
This review is from: Killing Lincoln (DVD)
I read the Killing Lincoln & also American Brutus books and was excited to hear they were coming out with a tv movie. All in all it was good, enjoyed it...but it could have been much much better in my opinion. The best part of the movie is the portrayal of John Wilkes Booth by Jesse Johnson! There is NO actor I've seen that could ever do a better job in capturing John Wilkes Booth on film..he nailed it perfectly and with such talent and ease. If anything, watch the movie to see BRILLIANT acting from this talented man, as he portrays one of the most interesting and discussed historical figures in Booth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read the book first, September 7, 2013
I read the book first. I wished they put some of the civil war battles that were in the book in the movie. Over all good movie. A little difficult to follow all the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another documentary disguised as a movie?, September 5, 2013
This review is from: Killing Lincoln (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
Although I usually feel docudramas to be too dry, this was both entertaining and eudcational. What a horrible event! but how clearly described and acted.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good companion piece to Saving Lincoln, November 6, 2013
Joe Stander (Hancock Park, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killing Lincoln (DVD)
Good companion piece to Saving Lincoln, which covers Lincoln's life. This was a thorough examination of Lincoln's death, but I was more inspired by his leadership and courage during the nation's darkest hours. Also, Saving Lincoln is more of an epic movie, whereas Killing Lincoln is a solid documentary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great History, September 2, 2013
This review is from: Killing Lincoln (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) (Blu-ray)
This fact based history is perfect for the classroom or consumption of children in the home place. Straightforward telling of the tale.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read the book, October 31, 2013
This review is from: Killing Lincoln (DVD)
The book is always better than movie. Always. Killing Lincoln on DVD is no different, and perhaps even more so than many good adaptations. I loved the book--well-told, fast-paced, informative and interesting. The documentary-style adaptation cannot match it. One hopes the Killing Kennedy documentary due out this weekend will surpass this first attempt to bring O'Reilly's best-sellers to the screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ignore the DVD cover, June 24, 2013
This review is from: Killing Lincoln (DVD)
Please ignore the goofy DVD cover. This is a meticulously researched movie that I found far more involving than Spielberg's bloated high-budget movie. I liked this movie's Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln far better, with the narration by Tom Hanks absolutely riveting. Riveting as in, you won't fall asleep in this one unlike Spielberg's Lincoln.

We get into Booth's state of mind, and those who are familiar with this story will find many surprises and pieces of trivia. (Such as learning the original plan was to kidnap Lincoln.)

My mother likes to watch "Dateline NBC", where a legal case whose conclusion is already known is drawn out for the audience in interviews and the presentation of evidence. Without being insulting in comparing this movie to a weekly television show, I had the same feeling watching Hanks narrate the movie to its ultimate conclusion. Brilliant cinema. Will leave the audience wanting to learn more about the Civil War.

Killing Lincoln (Blu-ray + Digital Copy)
Killing Lincoln (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) by Billy Campbell (Blu-ray - 2013)
$16.99 $12.98