Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-267 of 267 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2011 9:13:40 PM PST
M. Hawley says:
I can't understand how you would jump over Caesar and strait to his heir. I don't discount Augustus' role in the end of the Republic, but it certainly was his uncle who first crossed the Rubicon and seized power from the Senate. Augustus brilliantly consolidated that power. The Empire flourished, and I'll admit that many of the people did quite well for the most part. However, the perpetual war and ever increasing public spending was a serious burden on her people. In the City, they didn't feel it but many of the provinces did.

Lincoln and Caesar's motives were quite similar. The orthodoxy had become unsustainable and it took a man of will to set things right to save the great nation.

Caesar was a conqueror of his own people, and there's the greatest similarity to Lincoln. The rise of imperial power that they set in motion is the second. I know the analogies aren't perfect but I read in this thread that Lincoln was unique in history and I don't think that's accurate. Caesar is a great example of a Lincoln like figure. They even both died by assassination. (although that's trivial.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 6:49:01 AM PST
F. Hollister says:
Alan Craig:

"The cruelest thing that has happened to Lincoln since being shot by Booth was to have fallen into the hands of Carl Sandburg."
¯ Edmund Wilson

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 5:48:48 PM PST
m Hawley your comparison's of the two men is ridiculous. LIncoln was not a great general. He did not conquer his own people. Ceasar was one of the great generals of all time and took power as an autocrat and had no patience for his enemies. To say a man who in the end fought for the freedom of slaves and kept a country together as opposed to Julius ceasar who enslaved people and helped start a great civil war which split the roman world is ridiculous.

Lincoln showed great compassion for his fellow man and lost his life to bring the country together. He did not do it to become emperor as JUlius Ceasar did.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 7:54:28 PM PST
M. Hawley says:
Lincoln was far from compassionate. He'd force people to the army, jailed thousands of political prisoners, worked to ship blacks to their own colony before his death and sent Sherman on his bloody and violent march to the sea.... good Lord. He was a brutal oppressor in many ways.

The differences can be accounted for by the fact that they are different people. Their similarities have not been discounted by their differences.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2011 8:10:00 PM PST
Triliberty says:
Lincoln did not ever have Northern People fight for slaves! That's fantasy!

Posted on Nov 25, 2011 9:19:31 PM PST
Neaklaus says:
Mr. Robisch, As you can see the Anti-Lincoln crowd will go to any lengths to diminish the man. Even attempt to rewrite history or create fictional versions of it for their own ends.
Which I really begin to question.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 6:13:08 AM PST
Triliberty says:
No the Fiction has been presented as history for the past 140 years. The State Court Historians have obfuscated the truth to keep the People ignorant and compliant. Read the Real Lincoln and Lincoln Unmasked.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 7:34:03 AM PST
yes the analogy was certainly farfetched

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 8:36:54 AM PST
The Ron Paul followers are like a cult. Most of us don't even vote online after debates but all of them do so he always has high polling numbers. I don't even know one person that supports this guy but I don't hang out with extremists either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 8:39:08 AM PST
Right on!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 10:19:22 AM PST
M. Hawley says:
You're in the establishment cult Luciana, so I wouldn't toss stones.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 11:49:33 AM PST
@Luciana

so following the constitution is extremism? wow how far we've fallen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 2:32:55 PM PST
Dan says:
Haha so true, M. Hawley, so true.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 8:22:08 PM PST
europa says:
ashamed ....learn economics then

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 8:22:47 PM PST
europa says:
doubt it

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 8:23:54 PM PST
europa says:
poll Ron Paul vs Obama dr.Paul wins

He is currently in the top tier in the first primary states NH and Iowa especially

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 12:07:05 PM PST
Nevadaeh says:
BRILLIANT! Ron Paul as Neo.. KICKING Fox News Neocon A$s3$!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V249zDK54vc
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  59
Total posts:  267
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 23, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Martin Dugard (Hardcover - September 27, 2011)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (6,874)