Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 20, 2012
It seems that most reviews of the book are by one of two types of reviewers: 1. the reviewer either loves or hates O'Reilly, or 2. the reviewer either loved or hated how it was written. Here is my take, leaving the personal feelings about the author aside, Killing Lincoln delivers on its mission. Many rip O'Reilly apart for it not being an in depth treatment of his death and surrounding events. Here's a news flash: it's not supposed to be. It is not written as a doctoral dissertation on the subject nor is it intended to be. It is not intended to give every detail about what happened. It is intended to be an engaging read that follows the events surrounding Lincoln's last days. It is intended to be written from the perspective of putting the reader on the streets of D.C. during those days, putting you into Ford's Theater the night of the killing. In that regard it delivers. Here is my recommendation for this book: give this book to someone that you want to get interested in history. Give it to a student and let them see that history does not have to be boring. Give it to someone that loves novels, but hates non-fiction and let them discover how engaging and important history is and can be. On that level O'Reilly delivers.
159159 comments|1,446 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2012
I absolutely loved this book. First, since it seems to be an issue in the reviews, Mr. O'Reilly and I are opposites politically. I never watch his show. After reading the reviews, I bought, instead, Edward Steers' Blood on the Moon. I am sorry, I know it is well researched, and painstakingly accurate, but it didn't keep my attention. After several weeks, I was only at 17% in my Kindle when I decided to buy Bill O'Reilly's book. WOW! I could not put it down and read it in two sittings. You feel like you are right there watching the events. I have never experienced Civil War battles as I did these. I have never really known Abraham Lincoln before now. I have never fully appreciated the reasons behind the war. While reading, I was on the battlefield, I shared Mr. Lincoln's thoughts and feelings, I was there with the young doctor tending to Lincoln after he was shot, and I experienced John Wilkes Booth's pain as he attempted to escape after breaking his leg. This book is powerful. This book takes you there, and you will long remember the names and events. This is the best book I have read in a long time. Thank you, Mr. O'Reilly.
3232 comments|470 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2011
As someone who has studied Lincoln and books on the assassination since I was about 8 (that would be, sigh, about 50 years), I figured I'd give O'Reilly's book a try, assuming that since he had written it so shortly after some great Lincoln books (Abraham Lincoln: A Life, by Michael Burlingame; Blood on the Moon by Edward Steers) that there must be something unique about it. Unfortunately, I came away not really seeing what the new approach was. While it is supposedly written like a thriller, I find it to be prone to abbreviation and errors as noted by one of the one-star reviewers here (i.e. talking about the Oval Office, which was not built when Lincoln was president, but in 1909 when Taft was president, and a gross misrepresentation of how Mary Surratt was treated -- she NEVER wore a hood while imprisoned, and she was NEVER on the "Montauk", etc.). Throwing in a long-discredited conspiracy theory supposedly linking Secretary of War Edwin Stanton into the mix was completely unnecessary, unless the idea was to give readers already convinced that JFK was assassinated by space aliens something new to obsess over. A list of errors written by the Assistant Superintendent of the Ford's Theatre Historical Site, by no means complete, but enough for the NPS Eastern National bookstore at Ford's Theatre to avoid selling this book, may easily be found on the internet (I will be glad to give you the link if you can't find it). The Theatre gift shop IS selling it, but not the National Park Service store, due to inaccuracies. You will see many reviews here (five-star ones) stating that "this book was not written for historians." Does that mean that lousy research is just fine for the unwashed masses? Wouldn't the casual reader be served much better by reading information, whether or not it's entertaining -- and yes, it's an entertaining and easy read -- that had been verified by research? I just cannot understand the mindset of "it wasn't written for historians, so errors are just fine, as long as it gets people to read about history." Baloney.

What O'Reilly has going for him is a built-in audience who went out in droves to buy this book because he talked about it every day on The O'Reilly Factor. I watch him casually, and I figured, "Why not? One more book to add to my Lincoln collection (which is fairly large after fifty years)." As you should be able to see, my purchase of this book is verified at Amazon, and, in fact, I preordered it because the mention on the O'Reilly Factor got my interest. Unfortunately, it won't be up in the top tier of my Lincoln assassination material. It's OK for the casual reader who wants to learn something about the Lincoln assassination. It's too hurried and flies through things that need to be dealt with in a less perfunctory manner, I think. As O'Reilly notes in his show that Abraham Lincoln was the "gold standard" for the Presidency, I will say here that, for the "gold standard" of books written on the Lincoln assassination, no better work can be found than the book "Blood on the Moon," by Edward Steers -- you can see it here at Amazon at Blood on the Moon: The Assassination of Abraham Lincoln). If you only have one book on this subject, the Steers book is the book to have. If you just want to be up on the latest O'Reilly books, then get this one. It's not horrible, but it tells the reader nothing new, and oftentimes it tells the reader much LESS than he/she needs to know, and, as noted, sometimes incorrectly.

So, in summary, it was just OK, which is why I gave it an average rating. A few minor errors wouldn't have dropped it below four stars, but for a Lincoln researcher it would be considered a young person's primer. For someone seriously interested in the subject, get the Steers book and pass this one by. Just because O'Reilly has a multi-million person audience to whom he can hawk his wares, it doesn't mean it's great work. I hope people are not writing off an honest review because they think I'm picking on O'Reilly. The only POSSIBLE reason that this book took off so fast on the bestseller lists is because it was publicized on the O'Reilly Factor, not because it was so much better than any of the other books written about the Lincoln assassination. There has been much back-and-forth about this for some time. Dishonest people who didn't read the book but hate O'Reilly gave it one-star reviews without ever opening it. O'Reilly fans have an attack of the vapors at anything less than a five-star review. The purpose of this review was to inform, not to express ideology. I stand by this review. If you don't like it, that's fine, but don't attack me simply because you're sticking up for Bill O'Reilly (a futile wish, apparently). Again -- I watch The O'Reilly Factor. I am also a Lincoln scholar. Take this review at face value.
1,1791,179 comments|2,381 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2013
Bought this for my wife and she read it and said that is was written pretty well. Since it is not considered factual by true historians it's just an interesting read. Easy to read, but why waste your time when there are factual books that are as well written available. Do not recommend.
on December 16, 2012
I was goaded into reading Bill O'Reilly's book about the Lincoln assassination by friends and by the hype on O'Reilly's TV show --- which I have not deigned to watch since suppertime on election night. O'Reilly and his writer are no David McCullough, no David Halberstam, no Joseph Ellis. When it comes to cobbling together a story from a nearly limitless supply of potential elements, O'Reilly and his writer do not venture into the same ballpark with the quality writers of history and biography.

By contrast, the book actually includes an 1865 article from Harpers (in the Appendix) recounting the assassination. It was as if O'Reilly wanted to shout out to us: "Yes, I do know what better writing looks like; and this is an example for you to compare."

O'Reilly says that his book is written like a thriller. I missed that entirely.

Yes, I know, O'Reilly was once a school teacher; perhaps he should reconsider floating that to us as a bragging point.

Apparently, O'Reilly is upset with how much of history has been re-written and/or expunged from the history texts used in today's government schools. And on that one point I share the enthusiasm that students be encouraged to break free from the text book tyranny.

The stark absence of scholarly style suggests to me that O'Reilly may have been targeting a junior high audience. And, I understand that a "special illustrated" version was so quickly released that junior high must have been part of the author's original vision for this work.

Along with scholarly style comes scholarly method: there is some hint that some of the details are fabricated for this telling: yes, "made up." Since I read this one on my Kindle, I didn't make notes in the margins to refer back to. Actually, this is a great book for the Kindle --- since the book itself wouldn't lend much stature to your library shelves.

O'Reilly did not claim to have actually written this book, but he does want to take credit for bringing together the parts of the story he wanted to tell; he refers to this as "doing the research." The other part of doing the research was scheduling vacation visits to the various historical sites: that's what we mean today by "research."

What about the history and the new insights? Well, there were no sweeping insights for me; but I was on the lookout for a new perspective or even an new aspect from which to view the major conflicts at play. But alas, I didn't find anything new or insightful -- unless you count the implication that General Grant was henpecked by his wife, Julia. I want corroboration before I accept even that as historically correct.

The stunning slaughter that was the Civil War is mostly lost on students today. O'Reilly does offer up a picture of full-speed slaughtering, right up to the very end of the war. An interested junior high student could then look into the issue further in other works.

I noticed on 12.15.2012 that O'Reilly's companion book, "Killing Kennedy," was #2 on CSPAN's bestseller list; a Pulitzer Prize winning author was #3; and "Killing Lincoln" was #4. This may or may not be an indictment on the reading discrimination of Americans, but it does seem to scream out that these books are being pumped out for some quick cash since O'Reilly has a rich advertising pulpit from which to promote his wares
on October 6, 2012
Here is my three word summary about KILLING LINCOLN; It's very pedestrian. Nothing special about the writing or the history. The simple truth is that O'Reilly is a celebrity journalist who put his thumb print on an obscure historians story. Martha Stewart could have mimicked such success by borrowing from your mothers apple pie recipe. But I'm as dumb as everyone else in believing that these people know what's best for us (when really the best thing they know how to do is capitalize on their fame to make a fortune). That said, I found that the best part of the book was not about Lincoln but rather Lee and Grant. In that regard it piqued my interest to read more nonfiction. I intend to read LEE - THE LAST YEARS by Charles Flood and GRANT by Jean Smith unless somebody has a better suggestion. Alas if it was O'Reilly's objective to inspire us to pursue history, then he succeeded. However if you're looking for entertainment, then I'd suggest reading something written by a novelist not a celebrity.
on June 7, 2012
"Killing Lincoln" is well written and moves quickly. It also contains considerable historical detail. On the other hand, the book is novelistic. Frequently the authors put us into the minds of the various protagonists which a serious history shouldn't do. There is no way of knowing exactly what is in anybody's mind. Also, details of one-on-one conversations are given, much of which must be pure supposition.

Stanton's possible role in the plot isn't glossed over, however...BUT...the authors have completely omitted an event that implicates Stanton even deeper and may have given rise to plots to capture or kill Lincoln. On March 2, 1864 young U.S. Colonel Ulrich Dahlgren, along with 500 picked cavalry men, tried to penetrate Richmond to--ostensibly--free Union POWs from a Confederate prison camp. Both Abraham Lincoln and Edwin Stanton approved the raid. The crossing of the james River and entrance into Richmond was confounded by a black guide, Martin Robbins. He may or may no have deliberately mislead Dahlgren's force. Dahlgren believed he was a Confederate agent, however, and hung the man with the reigns of Dahlgren's own horse. Dahlgren's mission was thereby delayed giving Confederate home guard troops an opportunity to organize an ambush. Dahlgren and many of his men were killed.

A 13 y.o. boy found the body and rifled his pockets. He found two folded sheets of paper. On these papers were Dahlgren's orders--orders as to the actual purpose of Dahlgren's raid. The papers quickly were in the hands of Confederate President, Jefferson Davis. He was amazed. Dahlgren had been ordered to kill Jeff Davis and the entire Confederate cabinet. The orders were published in Richmond newspapers on March 5. Immediately after Richmond fell, Edwin Stanton ordered a man named Irving to pick these orders out of Confederate files. They were hand-delivered to Stanton...AND...were never seen again. Various copies and lithographs of the order still exist but there is no original order to examine and reexamine. Federal authorities--of course--claimed it was a Confederate forgery but the events between the time the order was discovered and published in the Richmond newspapers is well documented and leaves little time for forgery. Later, General Kilpatrick--Dahlgren's superior--said he saw the orders but recalled nothing about killing Jeff Davis and the cabinet. Surviving officers of the raid said that Dahlgren did show them the 'kill' order.

General consensus is that the order was genuine but there is some question as to the Federal authorship. Some say that Dahlgren wrote his own orders but that seems [to me at least] to be extraordinarily unlikely. More likely the order arose from the previous Lincoln/Stanton meeting. Certainly Confederate officials thought that Lincoln was the author but others claim that Lincoln knew nothing about it so Stanton must have given the order. After that it's supposition. Did Confederate officials, believing that Lincoln was trying to decapitate the Confederacy, decide to decapitate the Union? Could be. Did Stanton promulgate the order hoping for personal credit for ending the rebellion? Could be. Did Stanton want the order to fall into Confederate hands [why was Dahlgren carrying such a damning document on his person?], hoping that they might succeed in killing Lincoln thereby increasing Stanton's own power. I don't know. Did Stanton--using go-betweens--conspire with Confederate agents? Probably.
on May 6, 2013
What I began to notice after a while was the lack of accuracy regarding the firearms involved in the event. I'm sure all the gun experts have already picked apart the book, but here's what I found. The Deringer Booth used was not "made of brass". There is no brass at all on the gun. You don't tamp a bullet AND a percussion cap down the barrel when loading. The bullet was ordinary lead--not Britannia metal. The pistol was .41 caliber, not .44. Also, no mention was made of patching the ball, necessary when loading a rifled muzzle-loading arm which this was. Booth was shot by Boston Corbett using a Colt 1860 Army Model cap and ball revolver of .44 caliber--not a rifle. On another subject, Custer was surrounded and killed by several Sioux tribes, not just Oglala, in addition to Cheyenne and Arapaho warriors. I bought the book having read and heard raves about it. I would have expected much more in the way of research and historical accuracy. When you find so many glaring inaccuracies, it makes you wonder about all the rest of the book.
33 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 31, 2012
This book is ok for those who think history is boring and dull. I'll admit, I read it fairly quickly, it did feel entertaining and filled with facts. But as someone who has been reading about Lincoln since 1974, I didn't find anything new and question some of the material I did find.

In case the authors missed it, the civil war ended. It's been many years now, why do they feel the need to constantly refer to Mr Lee, General Lee, Robert E. Lee in a derogatory manner nearly every time they talk about Marse Robert? Note that I'm not a southerner, nor a northerner, my family came to this country in 1920.

I would have liked a little less war reporting and more information about how this assassination changed America. If chapters 5-8 discussed how reconstruction was changed, how decisions were altered by the assassination, it would have fit the title "...changed America forever" Oh, and what part of this book was "Shocking"?
on February 12, 2012
I have no comment on the book, as I came here to read some of the reviews prior to purchase. Upon arrival to this page, I found it fascinating that a book could have almost as many 1-star reviews as 5-star reviews. Why, something must be amiss! Having nothing better to do on a dreary Sunday afternoon, I set out to count the number of Amazon Verified Purchases of the 1-star reviewers. Much to my surprise and dismay, there were only FOUR (yes, 4) Verified purchases out of 1,158 reviews. How could this be? Could it be that people just come here (having purchased the book from other sources, of course) to review the book to help out the Amazon faithful?

After having traversed 116 pages of one star reviews to count up those Verified purchases, I really didn't feel like doing the same for the 5-star ratings, but in the interest of science I set out to do the count. Well, after finding SIX Verified purchases on only the first page of 5-star reviews, I got occupied (whoops - I meant lazy) and decided that statistically, it just made more sense to trust those 5-star reviewers whom I knew actually purchased the book.

I would appreciate it if Amazon could add a filter to the review page so that one could see the ratings from Amazon Verified Purchases only. Perhaps then the ratings might actually be meaningful.

Thank you to all the 1-star reviewers who took the time to perform the selfless act of coming to Amazon's web site, creating a login, and posting your review. However, I can't shake this nagging feeling that perhaps you really didn't come here to review the book, but maybe had some other agenda. Eh, it's probably just me. I'm sure nobody else feels that way.

Anyway, I'll post a review of the book after I actually read it (which you'll be able to tell from the Amazon Verified Purchase).

Two years later...

This is for you, dearest Anthony...

Since Amazon did not allow me to create a separate review of the book (I can only edit this one), I had posted my impressions of the book when responding to the comments of those folks who took issue with my revealing the above facts. For Anthony's sake (and a few others), I will repeat what I said right here.

I found the book to be a very engaging read, and I enjoyed reading it. It brings life to one of our nation's most memorable presidents and the associated historical events. Grammatically, I think there were a few places where it could have been better written. The book was meant to appeal to a wide audience, from teens to the elderly, and judging from book sales it has been very successful at achieving its goal. I liked it very much, but I must say I enjoyed reading Henry Ketcham's 'The Life of Abraham Lincoln' just as much, and would encourage people to give it a try. I would rate Killing Lincoln 4.5 stars (and Mr. Ketcham's book rates 5 stars from me).

I am retaining the original content of this review for the sole purpose of revealing the nature of those who take offense to its 'inconvenient truth', and I will continue to chuckle at each new comment that ensues :)
5151 comments|693 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse