6,866 Reviews
 (4,266)
 (1,210)

1,311 of 1,511 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars O'Reilly Delivers, Unlike Most Reviews of the Book
It seems that most reviews of the book are by one of two types of reviewers: 1. the reviewer either loves or hates O'Reilly, or 2. the reviewer either loved or hated how it was written. Here is my take, leaving the personal feelings about the author aside, Killing Lincoln delivers on its mission. Many rip O'Reilly apart for it not being an in depth treatment of his...
Published on January 20, 2012 by history_bookworm

2,294 of 2,811 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars It's been done, Mr. O'Reilly, and more accurately.
As someone who has studied Lincoln and books on the assassination since I was about 8 (that would be, sigh, about 50 years), I figured I'd give O'Reilly's book a try, assuming that since he had written it so shortly after some great Lincoln books (Abraham Lincoln: A Life, by Michael Burlingame; Blood on the Moon by Edward Steers) that there must be something unique about...
Published on October 3, 2011 by Anthony B. Ford

‹ Previous | 1376 377 378687 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast read, good account of the Lincoln assassination., February 6, 2012
This review is from: Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this quick read on the last two weeks of Lincoln's life. It covered the end of the war through the end of John Wilkes Booth. Short, sweet and specific.

5.0 out of 5 stars An entrancing book!, February 6, 2012
I have never been a big reader, due to astigmatism issues with my eyes. At Christmas, my husband and I gave each other Kindle Touches and being able to use a larger font than a regular book was wonderful! Killing Lincoln was my first book in years. It was thrilling! It was so well-written that I could not put it down, resenting any interruptions! My husband then read it and he couldn't put it down either! I am now a huge Bill O'Reilly fan! What a gifted author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Entertainment, February 5, 2012
I ordered the Kindle Edition and have throughtly enjoyed it. I specially like the style that readslike a novel and keeps you involved in the historical events yet it is like the authors are there. The narrative of the Civil War Battles are fascinating and really gives the reader a feel for the character of Grant, Lee, and many of the others who fought the battles. The story telling approach that the authors use make this book well worth reading. I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, February 3, 2012
bmac32 (Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
At first I wasn't so sure about this book but as I continued I became more intrested in what's next and finall about half way threw I couldn't stop. Right full of things people don't know or even stop to think about such as travel, the time involved getting one point to another or just getting Lincoln, after beng shot, out of the thearter. A great many thing we don't stop to think about in this day of instant everything. Will reread this again in about a month too get information out that I'm I missed the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, February 1, 2012
I read a lot of books, but history and historical figures are not among my favorite subjects. After I was given this book for Christmas it took me a little while to pick it up, but once I did pick it up, I had a tough time putting it down. It is written in a style that keeps you turning page after page and looking forward to each one! I recommend this book for anyone, even if you are not much of a history buff. You just might become one!

3.0 out of 5 stars An Honest Book with Honest Intentions, January 30, 2012
I gave this book a three star review for several reasons, but mostly because the reviews seem to be extremely polarized. Those who love it, love it for it's narrative form and how easy it is to read, and that it tells history as a narrative rather than jumping from fact to fact. Those who hate it, hate it for the same reasons. The book is certainly not a biography, and you get exactly what the book claims to be: a narrative retelling of the few days and instances surrounding the end of the Civil War, Lincolns assassination, and the national manhunt that ensues.

So, take everything in this book with a grain of salt, and expect a book that reads like a novel, and therefore has clearly taken steps to fill in the gaps of information and to extrapolate narrative from as many sources as possible.

I rate this book a three. I'll admit that I was looking for more of a biography, but I plan to do further reading about Lincoln, and having this narrative framework as a back drop to learn more information about everyone who played a role in Lincoln's assassination, and to a certain extent what their motives were, was certainly a good place to start.

4.0 out of 5 stars Riveting Story, January 29, 2012
I have read reviews by others that make me think they're trying to make a political statement of some kind directed towards the author(s). I didn't read this story that way. It was an adventure that I became part of. I read this as if it were a fictional novel, but yet realizing that it was all true. I have to admit I truly felt sadness at times of pain for the magnificent President. I realized that he was not a fictional character, but a real person who was one of the most important leaders our country ever had.

I could visualize the actions of each of the characters involved. I know some authors will put lots of extraneous words in to 'enhance' the story line--heck, I do that sometimes in my stories. But here, I felt the interpretation was gained more from research on facts than opinions from gossip. So that helped to move things along at a good pace. It is important to remember that this was a glimpse into a momentuous moment of our past, not a lengthy chapter of our history, and there, a time to reflect on.

The only reason I didn't rate the book a full five stars, is that I would like to have seen more photos of places and artifacts. Perhaps more maps with detail would have helped more in understanding some action scenes.

Ron Kelley

4.0 out of 5 stars Killing Lincoln, January 25, 2012
This is an excellent addition to the history of the U.S. at the time of Lincoln. Little known facts of the end of the Civil War and especially the story behind Booths complicity in the Confederate conspiracy to kill several top political figures in addition to Lincoln.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, January 21, 2012
Did not know what to expect from this book. REALLY enjoyed it. Very good detail showing basically four lives about 2 weeks before the President was killed. New information for me about the major players. Even people who don't care for Mr. Bill should read this book. I feel like it is a " No Spin Zone".

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding narration, January 21, 2012
This was an excellent very well written book. Bill O'Reilly's writing style enhances the dramatic build up throughout his re-telling of one of the most tragic events in American history. Outstanding narrative that really sticks to the historical facts in the conspiracy. I heartily recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about the Lincoln assassination in its accurate historical context!

‹ Previous | 1376 377 378687 | Next ›

Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever
Killing Lincoln: The Shocking Assassination that Changed America Forever by Martin Dugard (Hardcover - September 27, 2011)
$28.00 $16.99