5.0 out of 5 stars Raising the bar - online review - UPDATE
I play a lot of Resistance 2 and COD4 & COD:WAW. Resistance for its massive battles & COD for the great graphics and super tight play. Killzone 2 is a great blend of each.

Published on March 2, 2009 by Jared Burdick

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent FPS, but...
Let me preface this review by saying that I have had some problems with the resolution resolving to more than 720p on my TV, so I may be missing some of the supposed stunning visual glory that is lauded in this game.

That being said, I have been playing FPS games for years and have greatly enjoyed games such as Half Life 2, Metal Gear 4, etc. I bought this game...
Published on March 10, 2009 by Sean Rhea

5.0 out of 5 stars Raising the bar - online review - UPDATE, March 2, 2009
This review is from: Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

There are a lot of complaints about the controls, but none from me. The guns are weighted and recoil as you would expect. The characters move like heavily armored soldiers carrying heavy artillary might. I could see it as an issue if it wasn't equal, but everyone is playing at the same speed and after a very short amount of time, I can say without fail that I am pretty quick with the M82 and plenty of online players that are far superior to me will light you up as quick as any game of Halo or COD.

As far as the graphics, online there is no dropoff compared to the single player. This is the best looking game I can remember playing. I had a difficult time going back to Resistance because it looked terrible after KZ2.

The single player game is ...about like every other signle player FPS that I can remember. Follow a line shoot guys, etc. I only played for a couple of hours to get familiar with the controls before playing online so I can't really speak as an authority on the single player.

The online game has all of the usual suspects as far as game modes go. The new exception is being able to string any of the five together that plays as single game. If you have a squad that you enjoy playing with, this is great. If you jump into a 25 minute game and get stuck with a team of half-tards, prepare to be frustrated that you have to wait 25 minutes to get credited with your experience. It's also worth noting that KZ2 has a similiar level up / xp system that unlocks various items like COD 4. It's about what you'd expect.The battles are awesome and where KZ2 really takes the cake for me is the whole package with 30 people at a time. My biggest complaint with COD4 is 12 player battles on medium sized maps. It is too easy for people to camp and the middle of the screen remain empty for extended periods - especially in hardcore modes where you are playing 1 shot kills.

Killzone 2 doesn't reinvent the wheel and doesn't really offer anything new in terms of gameplay. A similiar thing has happened with the fighter genre. You can only "play guns" in so many different ways, so the next logical step is perfecting the genre, and right now, Killzone 2 is at the top of the heap.

UPDATED:
I purchased the downloadable map packs, Titanium & Steel. One takes place on a moving train, the other in the cruiser shown at the opening of the game. The train is a sight to behold and a snipers dream come true as the action funnels to visible choke points and the map is very narrow. The Vekta cruiser is multi-leveled and circular in shape. It's a stark contrast to the rest of Killzone with bright lighting and vibrant colors. The pack cost $6.00 and both are fun to play. The only problem is not many people appear to have purchased. It is common to find lobbies with the new map pack OR the originals. They're great to see in motion, espcially the train, but not a mandatory purchase at all.

I have such a problem with connection, that I've found myself going back to COD4 & WAW despite preferring Killzone 2's gameplay. Not only am I frequently disconnected, but it logs the PS3 offline and occassionaly locks up the system and requires a hard restart. I've even found myself having to restart my router becuase it locks everything up and I have to reboot my connection. It is exceptionally frustrating to play partial matches and get kicked (especially the longer games) and pop in COD or Resistance and have no issues.

Finally - Clan battles. Ugh. Oddly enough, COD felt like you had to be in a clan to enjoy the game. In fact, it's almost mandatory (log into a match with just a bunch of guys versus a party and get ready to die...a lot, no level balancing). KZ seems to be the opposite. Clan battles have rampant cheating and cheapness you just don't see in the big open matches. I played in a couple clan matches and virtually every negative I'd heard about them was evident(not respawning in deathmatch, hiding the the radio in your base, etc.). I've had a much better time just going from game to game until I find a group that is competitive on both sides. The good rooms are typically set to automatically balance, so a room with a few good players on both sides can be as much fun as any clan battle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth all the Hype. Amazing!!!, February 27, 2009
This review is from: Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Pros
+Amazing Graphics. Probably the best to date.
+Very smooth running game. Always looks and runs great.
+Fun factor is very high. Up there with Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Game of the Year.
+The Perfect DTS sound will blow you away.
+Solid level design keeps you aching to see what lurks around the next corner.

Cons
-The Controls are slightly cumbersome at first. But I've seen much much worse. Sometimes doing "actions" takes a second to line up. Like jumping or climbing over something/through a window. But after you get use to it, shouldn't be too much of a problem at all. Just like any game, the controls may take a while to get use to.

For starters, this is by far the smoothest running game I have ever played. The game just flows. Everything from loading a level to switching from an in-game-movie to game-play are seamless. I was amazed by the graphics. The lighting and the texture detail left me speechless. Everything from the control to the menu style was very well thought out.

The crisp DTS sound shakes the house and really puts you in the action. It sounds great on my Onkyo 7.1 system. Character dialog is also well done. Not cheesy at all.

The in-game-movies run great and look amazing. Facial features and expressions are really cool.

The characters really have fun personalities. This is NOT one of those flat feeling games which try to give each character life but fail. This game pulls it off perfectly. I think the AI is great. Probably the best I've ever seen in a game.

The level design is pretty good. Very solid and keeps you wanting to know what is around the next corner. It is the type of game that you have to make yourself stop playing. I'm a huge fan of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Game of the Year and this game ranks pretty close to it.

The fun factor is high. I love playing this game. There is a perfect balance of action, story, and just plain fun game-play. If you own a PS3, do yourself a favor and at least check this out. You won't be sorry.

P.S. Just a suggestion from gamer to gamer, those RealTriggers for your PS3 controller are well worth the $4.99. For a fast paced action game like this, they really come in handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thrilling, rollercoaster ride of a shooter, March 2, 2009
Stephen Nyktas "Pukadon" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This game propelled me forward with thunderous excitement from start to finish. Fundamentally similar to other first person shooters like COD4, Black, and Resistance, it may not be the most innovative game in the category but it is absolutely solid. It was a tremendous joy to play; epic in its scale, filled with intricate detail, and highly polished.

Throughout the single-player campaign I destroyed bridges, felled hundreds of enemy soldiers, fought sometimes large and other times lightning fast bosses. While I'd heard that Killzone 2 would be slower and more methodical than the average shooter, I had more trouble getting myself to stop playing than making progress. The game was flexible in its approach to almost every situation. Sometimes I'd snipe enemies from afar, popping their helmets into the air; sometimes I'd rush an enemy and unload a barrage of close quarters fire.

The controls were weighty, never allowing me to jump too quickly from target to target. At first I tried to increase the sensitivity of the joysticks, thinking I'd be able to swivel faster. Because the heft comes more at the end of a motion than throughout the motion, I found that increasing the sensitivity didn't help. I ended up turning the sensitivity back down and simply got used to the experience, which actually felt really good after the initial unfamiliarity passed.

It is the immersive nature of Killzone 2 that makes it really shine. I simply couldn't seem to absorb enough of the detail at any one moment. Over time you feel like you are a part of the world and one with your movements within it. You can feel the grit in the air and the cold metal of your rifle. It was a wonderfully compelling experience that I can't wait to replay.

The story of Killzone 2 was just fine - I have no major complaints. It was good enough that I felt grounded in the situations at hand, and I'll be interested in seeing what happens next. That was enough for me.

I've only spent a couple hours on the multiplayer, which feels strong but not incredible. My only complaint is that the multiplayer requires you to play a good number of rounds before you start to unlock new weapons and other classes, like the medic class and the engineer. While this may train a lot of people to play, I would have preferred to jump into more variety sooner than have to earn it. Still, I have high hopes for the continued multiplayer experience, and even if it were completely absent, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this game purely based on the campaign.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so great, February 28, 2009
This review is from: Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I first heard about Killzone 2 about a year or so ago, but never thought too much of it until the past 2 months or so, once all the hype was made. Even then, it still didn't phase me, as hype is hype. I looked into some of the gameplay videos, and some of the behind the scenes videos and became a bit more interested. It wasn't until my friend told me how much he enjoyed the beta that I really realized how quickly I was pulled into the hype of the game. I signed up for a European PSN account to try out the demo, and thought it was good, but very short, and the controls seemed like they would be very difficult to get used to. I decided to go out and pre-order the game and hope for the best.

Once I picked it up, I started by playing the single player campaign for about 2 1/2 hours. I play on the medium setting, so it's not too easy or too hard. Obviously the first thing you notice is how stellar the graphics are. It's like nothing I have ever seen in a video game, and I play a lot of games. Once the gameplay started, I remembered right away what my gripe about the controls were, so I went online and quickly for there are a lot of people with these complaints also, but luckily the settings can be adjusted, making the game a tremendous amount more comfortable to play. Getting back into the action, the next thing I noticed is how intelligent the enemies are. As someone said before, this is one of the first game that you actually get the feeling that the bad guys are real, as they are scared of grenades by them, hide from gunfire, and seem to work together to try and get you. There is constant action, never slows down, and that's not really something you see too often.

Next I got into the multiplayer for an hour or so, and even though I don't completely understand about ranking up and what not yet, I still had a lot of fun exploring the levels, and trying not to get killed, the whole time, getting quite a few kills myself.

So for an initial review, the game is pretty much what everyone said it'd be. Fun, action packed, beautiful, and dark. Reccomended to anyone who enjoys FPS.

*****UPDATE*****
After playing for many more hours and completing 60-70% of the campaign, it is now that I find it fair to consider this one of the best, if not THE BEST, game I have ever played. Every level brings you deeper and deeper into the story. There is constant action, and you will eventually HATE the Helghast. They are relentless, and the AI is top notch. This is one of the first games that the enemies were so smart that they set up ambushes on me, tricked me into going down a corrider where I found out there were more of them waiting for me. All in all, I can't wait to finish the game just so I can play it on the highest difficulty setting, and beat it again.

Multiplayer is great in itslef also. I don;t think the ranking up is as well developed as Call of Duty, but the gameplay is better. There is a ton of ribbons and badges to get that this game will keep you occupied for a VERY long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST I HAVE PLAYED IN YEARS!!!!!, February 27, 2009
This review is from: Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I have been waiting for this game for along time, since 2005 E3 expo video. I just bought the game and i was a little worried it would not live to the hype. After playing just a few hours i am SURE that this game is the best FPS (first person shooter) I HAVE EVER played.

First thing you will notice is the graphics, not doubt they put alot of time into this game, the lighting effects alone should get an award. Muzzle flash creates real time shadows and lights up the rooms, particle system is top notch. character animation is very smooth. The Helgast react to bullet the way they should, no just standing there and acting like it doesnt phase em.

The physics engine is also award winning, every object seems to have its own weight and reacts to bullets and explosions perfectly. All of this goes together so perfect to creat this super action packed experience that i have waited for so long.

I recommend this game for anyone who is looking for palm sweating, drymouth, hyper thrill ride through hell torn warzones.

No doubt this is my favorite game.-10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, March 22, 2009
This review is from: Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Now I really had no plans to buy this game, ever. I thankfully work with someone who doesn't know the meaning of "shut up" and had been pestering me to buy this game constantly proclaiming that it's the best game of 2009 so far. I did give in and although it wont teach him about anything, it taught me that I should listen to him more as this is sincerely one of the most impressive games I've played on the PS3 so far. One of the main draws for this game is due to the epic and cinematic nature of the campaign mode. This game and its trailer was the benchmark for the advertising of the Playstation 3's hardware capability before the systems launch. The original glimpse of the game was over 3 years ago and now, Killzone 2 is finally here.

The plot of the game follows the ISA as they try to invade the planet Helghan. This follows the original Killzone game in which the Helghan soldiers the Helghast took part in an attack on Vekta. The retaliation of the ISA is a mission to capture the Helghast Leader, Scolar Viscari and bring the Helghast war machine to an end. You take the role of Sergeant Tom "Sev" Sevchenko as you are dropped behind enemy lines along with your ISA unit and fight to secure the capital Pyrrhus. The ISA seem to have underestimated the enemy they were facing as they are not only well armoured and adapted to their home world, they are lead by an insane Colonel Radec and have hidden weapons that will take the entire fleet by surprise.

Now to be a part of the campaign is like being part of a $200 million blockbuster movie that seeks to have a million things going on at once to immerse you into the battlefield scenario. Apart from the cut scenes, the game play is shown from an FPS (First Person Shooter) perspective as you blast your way through massive maps to complete a particular objective. Upon your first introduction to the Helghan world, you're immediately dropped into what is quite obviously a war zone. Throughout the game, there's never a moment where you're left alone to fight a single Helghan fleet. You're mostly accompanied by your pal Rico, but even he goes missing from time to time and you will have to endure a few minutes alone until you both find each other again.

Your enemy is quite basic as they have almost the same vulnerabilities as yourself. If you see them first then they die, but if they see you first, then you better get running as they will kill you if they can. They do have certain differences in your enemies and one of them is known as a "heavy". This is a heavily armoured, drugged up loyal soldier who you can only take down with a shot to the head and making the gas canisters on the soldiers back explode. They also have a mean rapid fire heavy duty gun which you better make sure you don't get hit by. There's also the fearsome Colonel Radec and when you come to face him, you'll wish you were somewhere else entirely as he's sincerely not to be messed with. Thankfully the "cover and peek" system allows you to take cover from that relentless fire whilst your health regenerates so you can go back for the attack.

The multiplayer is also a massive triumph as up to this point the Call of Duty series held the crown as the best FPS online experience, for me anyway. Then Killzone came along and knocked COD off its top spot and is currently mocking the series relentlessly. The multiplayer is much like the campaign in that it takes on a very epic feel with the massive maps and the ability to have up to 32 players in any one game making the chaos even more fun and brutal. The main online game of Warzone takes you through a number of different mini missions to allow your team to get the win. You compete to increase your rank which makes a number of different weapons and character styles available including medic and sniper. With the medic you can revive downed comrades and the sniper is self explanatory but there are a number of other soldier classes which make the experience that bit more enjoyable.

Apart from the multiplayer and campaign discussions, there is one more thing to really talk about and that's the realism of the whole experience and the detailed environments. The cut scenes really make you feel involved in the story as they push the story of your unit and your enemies along with the shocking events that lead to the games conclusion. One of the more spectacular cut scenes is the scene in which a Nuclear Bomb is set off and if you were to compare that to Call of Duty, you would be tempted to laugh at COD's inferiority as the scene is truly spectacular on scale and detail. To shoot your enemies and to see the blood splatter against the wall and fly off your victim also adds that higher level of realism and enjoyment that may seem a bit disturbing, but there's no denying the fun factor.

Genuinely this is one of the best games I've played in a long time. It's fast paced, quite difficult and just a lot of fun. There's a plethora of stuff to see and experience and many ways in which you can take on the game with your team at your side or if you just want to run ahead with all guns blazing. The scale of some of the more intense battle sequences are something you don't see very often and can be very frustrating when you're getting shot and you don't know where from. This game reached a budget of just up to $60 Million and there's no doubting that every penny was well spent. I sincerely can't recommend this game highly enough and everyone should own it, even if you're not a fan of the FPS style of game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this really the sequel to 2004's Killzone?, March 17, 2009
This review is from: Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Back in 2005, I bought a Greatest Hits copy of Killzone. After I played through, I realized I had just used $20 and lost 8 hours of my life that I would never get back. The game was bad. I could care less if they had made a sequel... and boy, would I be surprised 4 years later! Guerilla's Killzone 2 is not just a VAST improvement over their first game, but a great push forward for the genre of FPS. I will not go into detail into the storyline, as it is merely a "break" from all the frenetic action that taked place during the single player missions. It's been a long time, well, 2 years (COD 4) since I felt so excited to get on a turret, or use the scope of my main assault rifle, or even fight off a flying vehicle. The game makes all these simple aspects of the generic FPS and heightens them with great spawn points, amazing graphics, and smart A.I. No game can compare to the graphics on display here. The amount of detail is outstanding! When one shoots an enemy soldier, who then falls on some trashbags, which then burst with trash fliying out, you know the desginers put alot of love to their game, and here, it shows. The level design is unique and truly cinematic, and though the game is rather short, the online multiplayer will keep you popping in that Blu-Ray disc back many times. Overall, a game that will be looked upon for inspiration, both in a technical and cinematic view. A perfect 5 out of 5. :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply astonishing, February 28, 2009
This review is from: Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
To sum the game up in one word...WOW!! Surround sound is outstanding, Graphics are outstanding, game play is outstanding, relatively zero load time and no install. Environment is destructible, enemy AI is very good, story is very good as well. I have never played any of the other Killzone games so I cannot compare to those. This game however is just amazing. I cant wait to see what the future PS3 games can do. This game raises and sets the bar to what PS3 games should be. It truly showcases the reason Sony put the expensive hardware in there machine. A must have game for anyone really, a fan of FPS or not. One play through and you will become a fan.

After playing most of the levels, it only gets better as you go. Using the native motion controls of the PS3 to activate explosives and turn levers is something never seen in a FPS before. For the people complaining about dark levels, there are plenty of daylight ones as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful addition to my collection, February 27, 2009
This review is from: Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This is a definite must have in your collection if you're a fan of FPS for sure.
PROS: The campaign has been amazing so far! Environment and characters show up crisp.. almost real-life perfection. The AI is suprisingly (sometimes annoyingly) itelligent which makes gameplay more challenging; this is indeed necessary for the COD veterans that are no doubt giving this game a shot. The best part I believe is that they(i.e. those damn Helghasts) don't infinately respawn like COD.!(o.O)!
The controls are precisely in sync with your character. Movements are realistic and allows you to feel as if everything was tangible.

Cons: I think this game sacrifices speed for realism. The multiplayer reminds me of Socom; everything moves slightly slower and seemingly requires much more team efficiency. Another aspect I disliked was the communication in-game; you are able to hear the voices of the opposing team depending on close proximity..which is a little silly. I haven't played a full multiplayer room yet, but I can imagine this getting pretty annoying in a room of 32 strangers on a mic. (needs private party support)

Please comment.. I love hearing everyones opinions

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best FPS games! (single-player-only), December 25, 2010
Jason Bean (Iowa City, IA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I'll admit Killzone 2 took me completely by surprise. I love FPS games but have been consistantly put-off by them being marketed to the multiplayer-only crowd. While Killzone 2 is being marketed and praised for it's online-gaming experience a lot of people are missing one of the best paced and designed single player FPS games in years!

The story for Killzone 2 is NOT one of it's highlights but it's not bad. You play as Sev, a soldier who's part of an invasion fleet attacking the 'Helghast' homeworld. You and your crew infultrate strongholds and take part in ground invasions and some vehicle combat while trying to capture the Helghast leader. While the dialogue is pretty bad and not especially well-acted the way events play out in levels really add to the excitment and atmosphere of the gameworld. While you see your characters Sev in some cutscenes, the developers cleverly switch between 1st and 3rd person perspectives depending on the events in the game and it works very well as a story-telling device in getting to know your character (Call of Duty take note!). Again the story's not that unique but the way it's presented is head and shoulders above other FPS fare!

The gameplay is what really makes Killzone 2 shine. From the moment you take control of Sev you will notice that the controls behave somewhat sluggishly and take a little getting used to. This may seem like a flaw when you realise every weapon has weight, and every action you do feels like effort but it I felt it actually adds to the excitment in making you feel like a person in the midst of battle. Not even Call of Duty 4 (my favorite all-time FPS so far) has this kind of immersion. You'll do some turret and vehicle combat to break-up the ground sections and these are fun but can't quite compare to the running and gunning. My only problem with Killzone 2's gameplay comes from the cover system: you hold R2 and you crouch behind cover or attatch to walls. This usually works but I hate using the R2 button for anything and the way the PS3 controller's designed my finger kept slipping off the button. Again it's not a bad idea but I would have just preferred a crouch button.

The way the game levels play out are also top-notch! When gunning through urban environments you never feel like you're just killing enemy after wave of enemy. You get pinned down a lot and planning is always the best way to win a battle. Like Call of Duty 4 and Gears of War 2, Killzone 2 makes you think about situations and how fight your way out. There's even some clever moments where your character is separated from your squad and you really feel their loss when slowly sneaking your way alone through heavily populated enemy zones.

While Killzone 2 isn't perfect it IS one of the best paced and presented FPS games in recent memory. In fact I can list all of it's flaws: shallow story (needs a good hero) , touchy covering (needs a crouch button), a switchable knife weapon (needs a one-button quick melee attack----NO PISTOL-WHIPPING OR RIFLE-BUTTING!), and some slow-down/loading (opt for installation). These may sound like big deals in a game but believe me: they're not. Killzone 2's single-player campaign succeeds in just about EVERYTHING else even more so than it's Resistance counterparts. Those looking for a good single player FPS experience with all the excitement of Call of Duty and Gears of War should look no further. Killzone 2 is one the best games I've ever played!

Killzone 2 - Playstation 3
Killzone 2 - Playstation 3 by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
$19.99 $18.49