5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for getting serious with glass art
Published 6 months ago by C. Morgan

3.0 out of 5 stars The book is too advanced for a newbee like me with only two years of experience with glass
The book is too advanced for a newbee like me with only two years of experience with glass. Learned one thing, that I will only work in glass as a hobby.
Published 5 months ago by Nancy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great resource for getting serious with glass art, July 20, 2014
This review is from: Kiln-Formed Glass: Beyond the Basics: Best Studio Practices *Techniques *Projects (Paperback)
I've been avidly collecting and reading "fusing" (kilnformed glass) books for about 20 years, and this may be the best single book on studio practice I've seen yet. As it says, it's not a beginner's book (Griffith's earlier book, Beginner's Guide to Kilnformed Glass, does that),. Rather, it's the book you'll want once you have a few successful kilnformed pieces under your belt and have begun to wonder if there's more to kilnforming than sushi dishes and bowls.

It's divided into three sections (and Lark should really add some "look inside" samples to Amazon so you can see what I'm talking about). The first covers setting up and using a glass studio. The second deals with more advanced ways to decorate glass for firing (casting, 3D printing, airbrushing, sandblasting, box making, etc.). Spoiler alert: If you're into making jewelry, she's got some advanced tips for creating dichroic slabs and precious metal clay findings that you'll love.

The third section, though, is where this book really shines. Griffith has experimented with applying other media techniques to glass practice, and they're pretty exciting. She shows you how to make your own glass pastels and glass clay (which can be fired in the kiln the way you can fire ceramics), create marbling effects with glass enamels, make your own roll-ups, and more.

The information is presented in an exploratory, "I wanted to see what would happen if I..." fashion, which gets my own creative juices going. Griffith takes pains to explain exactly how she got to a certain point, which makes it very easy to use her explorations as a starting point for my own. She includes firing schedules for both glass and PMC, with a quite-proper "your mileage may vary" warning.

About the only real criticism I'd have is minor: On a couple of projects Griffith takes you through the very well-illustrated steps but doesn't show the finished piece. There's so much else going on here, though, that I don't really miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for those of us that are ready to ..., July 6, 2014
Excellent book for those of us that are ready to learn skills that go "beyond the basics." The sections on setting up a studio, equipment, and tools is extremely valuable as they are quite the investment. The explanations of the science and engineering aspects are clear. I have used Brenda's first book constantly since I first started working with kiln-formed glass five years ago and this is a fabulous "next step." Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what the title says and more., August 5, 2014
This is definitely not for someone who just bought their first kiln. It is so nice to find an interesting book that doesn't cater to those who have hardly handled a glass cutter. I have been working in glass quite a while and love to find books that don't give me projects but push me toward techniques I haven't thought about before and give practical advice on things I have tried that maybe did not go as I had planned.The Gallery pages are gorgeous and inspiring. I do wish there was more of a buyer's guide for tools and materials mentioned that are outside of the glass realm. A great book for true glass geeks, you know who you are.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have been fusing glass for several years and this ..., July 26, 2014
Debbie (RENO, NV, United States) - See all my reviews
I have been fusing glass for several years and this book has lots of detailed projects that I have never considered before. A 'must have' for every fuser.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, November 8, 2014
The Engineer (Salt Lake City, Ut) - See all my reviews
I love this book. A lot of useful information and new ideas to try out. I only have a couple of gripes. A good portion of the book does still cover some basic stuff, like tools and materials, but certainly not as much as a beginners book on the general process such as temperature curves etc. This is a good thing, leave that stuff to other books. The rest of the content I would rank as excellent. I learned some very useful concepts and have some great ideas from reading this. I would highly recommend this book to others who want some more advanced techniques that simple tack fusing and slumping.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one has got more ideas than most texts., September 12, 2014
Unbelivable clear text and a new depth of ideas to expand your knowledge of fused glass processes. If you haven't got this one in your library you are missing some great reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brenda Griffith has another stellar hit!, July 31, 2014
This book is Top Shelf! Easy to understand, beautiful photos, great projects for novice or seasoned glass artist. Will recommend to all our students.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is the best book I have read about working with kiln-formed glass ..., December 30, 2014
This book is the best book I have read about working with kiln-formed glass and I have read most of them. I can't remember the last time any book caused me to repeatedly say, "Wow, hey...I need to try that!" I have bookmarks with notes on them all over this book. Brenda did a fantastic job of presenting the ideas and appropriate pictures to show you what she is talking about. Very well done.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, October 4, 2014
Jane Morgan "Jane M." (Central Coast, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Fabulous book! I highly recommend this book - the instructions are clear and detailed, the pictures are beautiful, and it's well written. Ms. Griffith should be very proud of herself!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent book, August 31, 2014
an excellent book- with a great sense of humor. I found it difficult to put down. After showing it to people in my glass class, 3 of them said they were off to buy copies!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›