5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album You've Never Heard
Published on February 11, 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Ummm . . .
This is not a good album. If, like me, you decide to go back because you love "Rise" ... don't go this far back.
Published on April 26, 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album You've Never Heard, February 11, 2003
This review is from: Kim Richey (Audio CD)
I first heard Kim Richey sing on Austin City Limits back in the mid-90s. I was channel-surfing and caught a bit of her voice that stopped my clicker in its tracks. Her talents (and those of her band) were so amazing that I sat and watched the entire show - and luckily caught the Indigo Girls, too. Richey has the most beautiful, moving voice, with a range of depth and character that compels you sit down and listen to her lyrics. She has a way with writing songs - a way that tells stories we can all relate to - that feels a bit like Joni Mitchell.
If you've never heard Kim Richey and you're an eclectic music fan, buy this album. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Little Album That Could, October 22, 2005
This review is from: Kim Richey (Audio CD)
This album came out in 1995 with only a modest bit of publicity. It spent all of one week on BILLBOARD's country album chart in number 74 position. Yet here it is ten years later and the album is still in print (unlike many top ten ones from the same year!) and selling quite well judging by Amazon's count. The reason is clear - Kim Richey is a wonderful singer and an extraordinary songwriter. This is her most conventionally "country" work although it pushes the envelope with it's innovative arrangements and vocal stylings.

The songs are so good - the haunting, rocking "Those Words We Said" - the whimsical "Just My Luck" - the delightful "Here I Go Again" - the sassy "Good". Many of these songs were later covered by more mainstream country singers who had moderate hits on them but these singers simply could not do the songs justice. I think if the label had put a little more push behind Kim she would have been another Mary Chapin-Carpenter with a string of major hits and awards. All of the songs are winners. I've played my cassette of this tape for 10 years now on a regular basis. Kim's no so country anymore, still producing good music though. It's definately country music's loss.

5.0 out of 5 stars First-Rate Debut, July 26, 2002
Chris S. "cscotts" (atlanta, ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kim Richey (Audio CD)
Kim Richey's critically praised but commercially overlooked debut disc begs one question throughout it's length--why the hell
isn't this woman a star? Though highly regarded as a songwriter for others in Nashville, she managed to save some of her finest for this album, with not a bad cut among the thirteen tracks. She also remains one of music's most clever writers--lines like 'love is wearing at the seams'('That's Exactly What I Mean') and '..still hear the echoes of those bitter words we said, and I could drive a million miles and never drive them from my head'('Those Words We Said')not only distinguish her lyrically, but never fall into a trap of cliched phrasings. Highlights include both of the previously mentioned, as well as 'Just Like The Moon','Just My Luck', and 'From Where I Stand'. Highly recommended listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kim Richie, December 23, 2005
This review is from: Kim Richey (Audio CD)
If you've ever been stranded on a long drive down highway 99 in California and rescued by an angel in disguise then you will know what I'm talking about when I say Kim Richie is the quentissential glaze on that hot road to LA. I've seen her play live and have cherished her "country rock soul blues" for many years and recommend you give a listen. My only hope is that Kim will not stop recording. There are so many more songs I can imagine from her. L.

5.0 out of 5 stars Talented Songwriter & Singer, December 1, 2002
This review is from: Kim Richey (Audio CD)
Kim Richey isn't well known per se for her music, but rather her songwriting talents. Most of her songs, or a large portion, have been redone by other country singers. She is often used as a harmony singer, backing tracks for the likes of Trisha Yearwood, Patty Loveless, and more. This is her 1995 debut, and its good start to finish. It is her most country offering, with each release she has seemingly moved towards a more pop/country polished sound, however not taking away from the beauty of the music. The album opens with the bittersweet song "Those Words We Said", later redone by Trisha Yearwood for her 1995 THINKIN ABOUT YOU album. "Here I Go Again" is an amusing breakup song, with lightheartedness. It was also redone by Lorrie Morgan for her 1999 MY HEART album. Probably my favorite cut is the ballad "You'll Never Know", just so real and vivid. A powerful song indeed, which was later redone by Mindy McCready and a successful single from her 1997 IF I DONT STAY THE NIGHT album. "That's Exactly What I Mean" is a catchy midtempo song with attitude, one of my favorites as well, later redone by Patty Loveless on her 1997 LONG STRETCH OF LONESOME album. Kim Richey either wrote or co-wrote all 13 songs on this album, showing her talent. Other highlights include "Just Like The Moon", "Let The Sun Fall", "Echoes of Love" and "That's A Lie". Overall if you've enjoyed other artists interpretations of her recordings, and her songwriting, you will love her debut album!

5.0 out of 5 stars If this CD were an LP, you'd wear it out, April 10, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Kim Richey (Audio CD)
I have listened to this CD dozens of times straight through and I never tire of the music, the lyrics, or Kim Richey's voice. Her voice is a unique combination of high lonesome and strong pop vocal sound. Ignore the dumb Amazon review about how Richey's inspiration was Linda Rondstadt, etc.; this CD is much more country and less pop than Ronstadt's stuff and the lyrics are better. The arrangements are simple but fit each song perfectly, and the musicians are terrific. The review below from London hits it on the head: other better-known country singers have covered many of the tunes on this CD for good reason. Hear the original versions on this CD and you will want to listen to them again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Undiscovered rock/country gem, February 24, 2001
This review is from: Kim Richey (Audio CD)
Kim Richey is one of those country artists that country radio has not embraced. Her first CD was acclaimed more by the rock press than anyone. Richey reminds me a little of early Emmylou Harris and if FM radio existed today as it did in the 70's, Richey would probably receive airplay as Harris did. Richey is also reminiscent of Shawn Colvin on the first CD. Every song has great hooks and the whole CD is just an absolute pleasure. When listening, try "Those Words We Said" (tr#1), "Here I Go Again" (tr#2), "Just My Luck" (tr#9), and "Good" (tr#13).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best All-Around Album in a Long Time, February 18, 2001
This review is from: Kim Richey (Audio CD)
Some of the best albums out there seem to be those that noone has heard of. Kim Richey's debut falls into that category. It is too rock for country, and too country for rock. When I heard the single Just My Luck way back in 1995, I wasn't that impressed. It wasn't until a friend of mine convinced me to buy the album that I realized what a gem I had alnost overlooked. This is one album in which the individual songs don't shine as much as the sum of them. I don't know why, but the album has a great flow. It is the unreleased singles that are the best, in my opinion: Good, Let the Sun Fall Down, That's a Lie. Many of them have been rerecorded by other artists in the past few years, some well some not. Some of the songs have been showcased on TV shows as well. It goes to show the album did not go completely unnoticed, but still, few people know her name. Kim Richey is not without faults: her songs are alike enough that even when another artist is singing one, her writing is identifiable. Her succeeding albums did not really progress any further than this (I would argue they are a step back). The fact remains, however, that the girl can write, sing, and play guitar. And she does it better on this album than anyone else out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is something special, April 5, 2000
Niklas Carlsson (Gothenburg, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kim Richey (Audio CD)
When I first heard Kim Richey I was standing in a record-store going through the new releases. Thinking of nothing at all......as usually... And then suddenly they begun playing the "Glimmer"-album. It was one of those moment when you just drop everything and just say: "What the...." In a week I had bought all her 3 CD's. And believe me she has something special. A bit different from the rest of stylish "Nashvillians". And on this CD it is the opening track "Those words we said" that stands out. It's one of the best country-song I've ever heard. It's got what you can say "down-to-earth-broken-hearted-lyrics". It blew my mind............

5.0 out of 5 stars A pioneering album, October 6, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Kim Richey (Audio CD)
You can normally tell if an album is pioneering by the fact that other artists often raid material for their own projects.
In this instance, Lorrie Morgan, Suzy Bogguss, Mindy McCready and Isle De Lange have taken tracks from this album. If you liked - From Where I Stand on Suzy Bogguss' Nobody loves album check out the original.
In the same way if you liked Here I Go Again on Lorries 'My Heart' then check out this album.
Likewise if you liked 'You'll Never Know' on 'If I Dont Stay The Night' - do the same!!
Kims albums will certainly change your view on country!!!!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0x9bd886c0)

Kim Richey
Kim Richey by Kim Richey (Audio CD - 1995)