Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

• Customer Reviews

on August 1, 2011
This is a fairly well built and well designed bike. Although I have not actually seen any other, i suspect this one is better quality than most.
However there are a couple of issues.
First, the bike is manufactured in china - they don't tell you that - they just tell you Kinderbike is a German company - I'm sure their headquarters is in Germany, but the product is manufactured in china - they should tell you that.
Brakes: Some otheres have mentioned difficulty adjusting them and they are right. I am an avid cyclist and I do much maintenance on my bikes so I know what I am doing. While the Kinderbike overall is good quality, the brakes are crap and that is why they are so difficult to set up. I would add that there is really no excuse for the manufacturer to not have them set up properly when the bike leaves the factory - that is just sloppy (did I mention it is manufactured in china?)The solution is simple - remove the brakes altogether - they are really not needed on this type of bike which is why most otheres do not have them.
Seatpost: When you adjust the seat to its lowest position the bottom of the post sticks way out the bottom of the frame and presents some possibility of entangling little legs between the post and the frame.
Wheels: I think this was probably just something on the one I received and is probably not common to all, but the rear wheel on mine was badly out of true - i.e. it had a bad whobble and was a bit out of round. I was able to correct mine because I have the tools and know-how to straighten a wheel by adjusting the spokes, but most people buying a bike for their kid probaby would not know how to do that and would need to take the wheel to a bike shop.
All that being said - I would recommend this bike - my son loves it and will be using it for couple years until he is ready to peddle - his little sister will also be using it in time as I believe it will hold up well. If it were not for the cheap brakes and the untrue wheel I would give it 5 stars.
0Comment36 of 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2010
I did a lot of research on balance bikes before deciding to go with this one. Rather than talk to the other brands, or preach about the benefits of balance bikes in general, I'll simply list the reasons I like the KinderBike Laufrad (and the vendor!) over the others:

1) Real tires. This was critical. I have no faith that the foam tires found on other models will hold up, and no desire to find out. Real tires are inflatable, reliable, and easily and cheaply replaceable.
2) Low weight. My son is only 3, and gets discouraged somewhat easily. If the bike was big, bulky, and heavy, he would soon tire of picking it up and not want to ever ride it again. Not what I'm trying to achieve.
3) Adjustability. This bike has to be able to fit my son now AND in the future. The Laufrad has adjustable handlebars and seat post. The handlebars pivot (so they move both up/down and forward/backward), and the seat post has about 5 inces of rise (starting as a low as 11" seat height).
4) Build quality. KinderBike was recommended for its build quality, and I can confirm that the bike looks and feels as solid as my own Specialized, even with its light weight. I even coated down a short hill myself (completely disregarding the manufacturer's direction :-(
5) Price. Last but not least, the KinderBike came in well under similar models. This made me nervous (you get what you pay for most of the time), but so far I haven't regretted the choice one bit.

Overall, my son loves the bike, although he dislikes his helmet (another review...). Hopefully he will continue to build his balance using the KinderBike until he's ready for a full bike (no training wheels!)
on June 2, 2011
This is a very solidly built balance bike. It was a little tricky adjusting the rear brake pads so that they didn't rub against the wheel and actually the brake is not necessary at this point for my 3 1/2 year old. She is 39" tall with 16" inseam and the bike is a perfect size with room to grow. I highly recommend this bike.
11 comment12 of 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2012
This is potentially a great balance bike, and I imagine if you get one with no issues from the manufacturer you'd give it 5 stars. The parts seem solid and durable. But, if you order one, be prepared for the possibility that you'll have to send it back or exchange. The neck on ours is faulty and holds the handlebars substantially crooked, so one grip is about 1.5 inches higher than the other. You can easily see this with the naked eye and it looks clearly defective, though the part is so sturdy that it couldn't have happened in shipping. There's no way I can see to make a home fix without possibly damaging the part, and I shouldn't have to anyway considering the price tag is premium for a toddler's bike. Also, whoever installed the back wheel at the factory didn't use care in matching up the threads and cranked the nut down anyway, so one side is now stripped. This is just pure laziness. I don't think the wheel will fall off, and it would last as long as my daughter will use it, but this bike should last through many hand-me-downs and if the wheel is removed too many times the entire hub will need to be replaced. Basically the assembler was careless, knew there was damage and a defect, but boxed up the bike for sale anyway. This is incredibly irritating, wastes my time and money, and guarantees I won't be buying anything else from this company sight unseen, if at all.

Note: if you have no experience tinkering with bikes, you'll probably find the brake system doesn't work well and won't allow the back wheel to roll freely, and the headset (part that holds the handlebars and forks/front wheel to allow them to turn) is adjusted very poorly, so tight the handlebars take a lot of effort to turn - unacceptable. These aren't hard to fix, but you do need extra tools and time. Another note: I gave 1 star for durability because the hub threads are already stripped when it came out of the box - they won't last now. The whole bike would probably be pretty durable if it didn't have the manufacturing issues, because the parts themselves seem strong.
0Comment12 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2013
This bike was fairly straightforward to assemble and the parts look very solid and well made. The balance and center of gravity on this bike is great. My son was able to ride it around as well as his previous skuut bike after only a day or two. The hand brake took some getting used to but now after a few months of owning this bike, my son is more comfortable with the hand brake and brakes smoothly. One very minor design draw back: the excess brake cable at the end sticks out about 5 inches right where his right leg goes so we have to tie it down so it doesn't continually rub on his leg (only a problem when he wears shorts). The only functional draw back to this bike is that my son isn't able to go as fast either down hills or of from his own "foot speed" as he could on the skuut. I personally don't mind this as he is three years old and I don't think he needs to be flying on a bike quite yet.
on December 11, 2011
I bought this for my 3 year old son. He was riding a tricycle and it only took him one afternoon to learn the balance/running bike. Less than a week later we were out mountain biking as a family. It's only about 8 pounds, which means it's easy for someone his size to push, carry and handle. This bike has opened up new opportunities for us to go biking as a family and he absolutely loves riding it. Good quality materials and craftsmanship, very durable.
on November 27, 2009
Love this bike, did a lot of research and I think we'll get more use of it than the Skuut. However, my tall 2.5 year old seems afraid to use it thus far. I think he will grow into it, but I wish my (tall) 4 year old could use this bike better. Even when we adjust the seat it's a bit too small for my 4 year old. So the seat adjustment could be a bit better. Other than that I think it will be fun once my 2 year old grows into it.
on April 24, 2014
My grandsons are two. They are just figuring out their first bikes.They especially love the bells and I love the quality. The Laufrad Mini can be adjusted as they grow for years of fun.
on July 22, 2011
We love this bike! Our son is 2.5 yrs, 3ft tall though, but he has been riding strong for atleast 8 months, I cannot keep up unless on my bike too. As soon as he could sit in the saddle and touch the ground he was figuring it out. The bell is a great add, what kid doesn't love to ring a bell? We also have a wooden one that we use just indoors, because this one by far is the best, much better steering range than the wooden type we have, and we have taught him to use the handbrake if he is going too fast down a hill. There is no foot step but we are glad, it teaches him to keep his feet gliding but he can always step down for an emergency quickly. The only thing we have had to do since he is a little tall for his age, my husband swapped out a longer stem on the seat, so we could raise the seat even higher and continue using it. Very pleased with the durability and smooth ride, We haven't had to blow up the tires since we got it.
review image
on December 28, 2009
I am a cyclist with several high-end bikes and while I did not expect high quality from this Kinderbike, I would have liked better manufacturing and assembly. My kids will have a lot of fun with this bike, but I cannot say that it is well made.

The handlebar did not actually fit into the stem, although I was able to make it work. The seatpost was tough to get into the frame and without some grease, it would not have been easily adjustable. Actually, several parts needed grease that the instructions didn't mention. The bearings on the wheels do not seem to have been greased or adjusted properly, and they will act as automatic brakes. The handbrake was so tight that I had trouble squeezing it and there is no way that my kids could have used it. The included tools were not sufficient to completely assemble and adjust the Kinderbike.

I have a 40-year-old bike with much of the same technology that is on this Kinderbike. You would think that they could get it right. This same shoddy workmanship on an adult bike would make it unsafe. I will let my kids use it because of the adjustments and repairs that I made and because a 3 or 4 year old doesn't put the same stresses on a bike that an adult does.

This bike is a great idea, but it needs to be higher quality or half the price.
22 comments11 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse