Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2012 11:13:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2012 11:14:31 AM PST
Mark says:
I have had the Kindle cover now for a couple months (it was quite annoying that I had to wait 2 weeks after getting my Kindle Touch to get the cover for it, but I digress)...
My initial thought was that the reading light was way too bright, but I figured I'd be patient and see if I got used to it. Well, 2 months later, and I'm finding that not only am I not used to how bright this light shines into my eyes, but it is actually hurting my eyes. I'm reading with the lights in the room off before bed, and while the light does an excellent job of illuminating the screen, it should have been built with a tilt adjustment or some kind of a filter that shields the reader's eyes from the light. Unless I hold the Kindle pointing down and at an angle that is facing somewhat away from my eyes, the light shining into my eyes is irritating. I'm waiting for Amazon to step up here and offer some kind of a fix, but I'm guessing they aren't going to do anything about it until they start seeing some complaints. Well, here's a complaint, am I alone here?

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 9:12:18 PM PST
I completely agree! I'm using a piece of electrical tape as a shroud/hood to stop the light shining into my eyes. I also wish that the cover had a dimmer switch as most of the time I think the light is too bright.

Posted on Feb 11, 2012 12:44:00 AM PST
tigermurphy says:
I agree. I think the light is poorly designed. The bulb should be more recessed into the plastic arm. The glare is awful. It makes me want to hold the kindle at an awkward angle. I'm thinking about returning the cover, but I don't know if there's a better alternative. For 60 dollars it should be perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 7:04:10 AM PST
Mark says:
I contacted Amazon about the problem, and they offered to refund the case for me. So I returned it to them, and ended up buying the Kindle case without the light, and got the Verso clip on light. It comes out to the same amount of money, but having the adjustable arm for the light is a huge improvement. I still can't believe how poorly the light was designed on the lighted case -- you're right, for 60 bucks it should be perfect. I'd recommend doing what I did, returning that one and getting the clip on light. That's worked out well for me.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 9:35:55 PM PST
tigermurphy says:
Thanks for the update and sharing your solution. I just returned my lighted leather case as well. I'm glad to hear that you like the Verso clip on light. I think I'm going to do the same thing...get the standard non-lighted leather case and the Verso clip on light. It won't be as elegant, but I'm hoping it will be more satisfactory.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2012 6:46:17 AM PST
Mark says:
Tiger, I think you'll be satisfied with that. A small bonus for me with this set-up is that I only use the light when reading in bed at night, and the non-lighted case is about a half an inch shorter in length, making is slightly lighter and more portable for commute reading. The verso light seems like a good product so far as well.

Posted on May 9, 2012 9:43:05 AM PDT
D. Hays says:
A small piece of electrical tape makes a "shade" for the light. There are two examples of using the tape with customer photos to help you make your own. One is for the Kindle Touch (http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B004SD262U/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all) and the other is for the Kindle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B004SD1ZPY/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all). I followed the photos for the Kindle even though I have a Kindle Touch. I have been reading in bed without having the light glaring in my eyes.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 1:54:44 PM PDT
David Galvin says:
I've made some light filters out of a few layers of clear packaging tape colored with permanent markers. I've made a red one (which is nice, because it doesn't ruin your low-light vision), a green one, and a black on (which pretty significantly reduces the light output). Once I get a hold of a blue marker, I'll be making another in that color. These work well: just color each layer and build up to about 4 or 5 layers for optimum color deepness and filter thickness. Just trim it to fit in the recessed light area with a little extra to remove it. This is the best fix I've been able to come up with. And it's one of the least expensive options.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 3:14:30 PM PDT
Aloysius says:
I'm also experimenting with various home-made hoods for my new kindle. I didn't get the touch because of all the problems with it not working with the lighted cover. Now I've got a kindle that works with the lighted cover, but I'm not happy with the light. My old (keyboard) kindle (and lighted cover) was bigger and not as light, but it had the light at the upper right hand corner and it was designed with a hood. Never bothered my eyes like this new one does.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Jan 9, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 9, 2012

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Amazon Kindle Touch Lighted Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Amazon Kindle Touch Lighted Leather Cover, Black (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite) by Amazon
4.0 out of 5 stars   (1,103)