24,593 Reviews
 (1,359)
 (1,864)

31,045 of 31,781 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For
I've been an iPad user since the original came out. I also have an iPad 3. I have worked in IT for the past few years so I would say I am pretty good with technology and fancy new devices. With that introduction out of the way, I will be reviewing key points that I have seen touched upon in other reviews. Here goes...

BUILD
The device feels nice and solid...
Published on September 17, 2012 by TL

2,069 of 2,273 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars An Orphaned Device
This is a rewrite of my original review, the one that garnered all the helpful votes you see, now that this particular Kindle has been replaced with a new and improved replacement, it's time for retrospective reviews for a device few should buy given better valued alternatives.

My original review warned that Amazon had a history of not providing updated...
Published on September 15, 2012 by Glenn R. Howes

31,045 of 31,781 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars You Get What You Pay For, September 17, 2012

BUILD
The device feels nice and solid. I'm a little surprised at how heavy it is, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The rubberized backing is always nice for added grip. It's not as nice as say unibody aluminum, but it's not $500 either.

SCREEN
The screen is fantastic. But my problem is the same as when iPad got Retina Display, other than the OS, most apps look rather pixelated. A lot of the games I tried are not high definition, at least not high enough to look smooth on this screen. Hopefully apps get updated to higher resolutions.

LOCK SCREEN ADS
Yeah there are ads on my lock screen. I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. How much time do people really spend looking at the lock screen? The first thing I thought when I saw the ads is WOW the pictures are really crisp! The ads are there to subsidize some of the $200 price tag. I might pay the $15 to get rid of them so I can customize it, but I might not. I feel like this has been blown out of proportion by other customers.

SOUND
The sound from the speakers is great. Much better than you would get from more expensive devices, very crisp and clean. I have the official Amazon case on and it has not affected the sound at all. Nothing much else to say, I doubt anyone will complain about this.

CRASHING
I've had two apps crash on opening. I don't know if it is the app or the OS. It's probably somewhere in the middle. Again, not a big deal for me. If it crashes, then I just tap it again and it works. I've also watched a few movies using the built in player as well as Netflix and Amazon Prime. No crashes for me at all. I'm sure OS stability will be improved as time goes on.

OVERALL SATISFACTION
Compared to my iPad 3, obviously the Fire HD is not as "good" so to speak. I mainly got it because I wanted something smaller. I also mainly used the iPad to surf the web, watch videos, and play some simple games. The Fire HD accomplishes this and does so much more. If you are expecting an iPad killer, or a desktop replacement, or a productivity machine, then you should look elsewhere.

I bought this to be a media device, and I believe that is what Amazon meant this to be. In this regard, I think this is a great device. In fact, I decided to keep this and sell my iPad 3, which will give me another $200+ to spend on other things. Just remember, this device is not for everyone. If you want a media device, you will be happy with this. Do not expect an iPad for $200.

UPDATE 9/18/12
Just wanted to add a few more things I have noticed over the past 24 hours.

- Power/Volume Buttons: There are a bit hard to press, which is somewhat alleviated by having the official case. Maybe it's because I'm a longtime iPad user, but this will definitely take some getting used to.

- Screen Glare: It took me a little while to notice, but I was playing a Seek & Find game while on Caltrain, with the bright Palo Alto sun shining right on me, and didn't have any trouble seeing the screen. I remembered that Amazon mentioned how the screen was changed to reduce glare, and they did an amazing job.

UPDATE 9/20/12
Two days later and I am still very happy with the device. Here are some more thoughts from me:

BATTERY LIFE
I have been playing Enigmatis (a hidden object game) for about an hour and a half each day on my commute. This drains about 15 - 20% of the battery with the screen brightness almost at the highest setting. Again, not iPad gold standard, but still very good.

SYNCING MUSIC
I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and used an app called Easy Phone Transfer to get all my music from iTunes onto the phone. It transferred everything, including album covers, and I was hoping to find something like that for this device. I tried iSyncr, a $3 app, which did the job, but did not sync over album covers. I uploaded all my music into the Cloud, then downloaded it from Amazon, which increased the audio quality for a lot of my songs and added artwork, but this still did not show up on the device.

I got very frustrated getting all the album artwork over and eventually just gave up. It's not a big deal but I am kind of anal about those kinds of things. Just a heads up if anyone else out there is crazy about it like I am.

UPDATE 09/21/12
I got a call from Amazon Customer Service about this review, which surprised me very much. They advised me the best way to get the artwork to show up is have the songs in both the Cloud Player as well as the device, which I know does work fine. I was hoping to have the artwork show without needing things in the Cloud, but not a big deal any more.

I am more impressed with the fact that Amazon called me to give me advice on how to remedy the situation and ask if there were any other questions I had on the Kindle. The representative said he wanted to make sure I was happy with the Fire HD. This is one of the big reasons I went with the Kindle, and with Amazon in general. I have had great experiences with their customer service, who have always been able to handle my issues quickly and efficiently. No need to set up an appointment days later with a wannabe IT guy with a hugely overstated job title.

So this update is not really for the device itself, but sometimes it's not just the device, it's the company that offers it that makes a difference. This is why I no longer have any Apple devices, as cool as they may be. But it's not 100% gravy, as I have noticed lately that the keyboard keeps popping up randomly on screens where there is nowhere to enter text, ie. while playing a game. I just have to press the Back arrow to get rid of it, but maybe a bug the Amazon engineers want to take a look at.

UPDATE 10/05/12
So I don't know if it was always there, but over this past weekend I noticed a dead pixel on my Kindle's screen. I called Kindle Support and after a short 5 minute call, they sent me a new Kindle, no questions asked. So once again, very happy with Amazon customer service. I am still very happy with the device, and have some more thoughts on it:

HDMI CONNECTION
I bought an HDMI cable to hook up the Fire to my 46" Samsung and was quite impressed with the results. The quality was very good, not Bluray quality of course, but better than SDTV on an HD screen. You actually see every single thing you do on the big screen, like you are using a giant Kindle.

GOOGLE PLAY APPS
One of the main drawbacks in my opinion is, or should I say was, the lack of all the Google Play apps available on the Kindle. With a little research, I found out how to add apps that are not available in the Amazon store. It is pretty easy to do and works very well with the apps I tried. This greatly improves my opinion of the Fire HD.

PLASTIC AROUND THE SCREEN
The outer most edges of the Kindle are plastic. I noticed some kind of discoloration on the corner of mine, and just thought it was some dirt to scratch off. So I rubbed my thumb nail on the area, and noticed there were visible marks on the plastic. It appears this plastic can scratch some what easily, but I think this is just cosmetic as not of the plastic actually flaked. If you are not very anal about how your stuff looks, you probably won't notice it.

OS CHANGES
Here are two small gripes I have with the OS that I'm sure could be fixed with an OS update:

- Battery Meter: It would be nice if the battery meter could show percentage instead of just a graphic bar. Some people have mentioned Battery HD, but you still have to swipe down to see the percentage, so this makes it easier but does not solve the issue I had.

- Personal Videos: The mp4 videos I put on the device are located in the "Personal Videos" app, which shows screen shots of all the videos I put in. The problem is, all that is shown are the screen shots. You can get more info by holding your finger down on each video, but when you have multiple seasons of a show on the Kindle, it can get confusing. Ideally we should be able to look at videos in a list like our music.

UPDATE 11/15/12
Still very happy with the device. Here are some more thoughts:

LEFT HAND MODE
I did't think this would be a problem until I played a Solitaire game that DID have a left-handed mode. As a lefty who usually uses the Fire in landscape, I often have to reach across the screen to access the Settings or Home button in the menu. It's a small grievance, but can be really annoying when watching a movie or reading something. If there was an option for a left-handed layout with the menus on the left side of the device, that would be great.

PERSONAL VIDEOS APP
I had earlier complained about this app, as it did not list my movies and crashed playing a pair of them. I recently drove down to LA from SF, and put 5 movies on device, only to find that 4 of them would not play! I was pretty mad, until I remembered a simple solution, download another app. I downloaded Avia Media Player, which is not the greatest either, but it played all the movies I put on the Kindle. My faith was restored.

GOOGLE PLAY APPS
A lot of people have asked how to do this. If you are not having luck with Google searches, try this:

[...]

An Amazon.com official commented on the review belowSee comments
7,381 of 7,755 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional, September 17, 2012
I have been an Amazon customer for years having owned the first gen Kindle and currently the 6" Kindle. I have purchased the 1st gen Fires for my children for Christmas last year and I have purchased both the touch and 1st Fire for my father.

I already own an Ipad and did not feel the need to own a Fire, since I believe they duplicated the same purpose. I did however place an order for the Paperwhite, but after thinking about it, why not own a full functional device that is more than just an ereader.

I love the eInk displays and how light the regular Kindles are. One of my main gripes about tables are that they are heavier and you cant read the screen in bright daylight. I'm not really sure why the daylight is such a big deal for me, since I probably only read outside when I'm on vacation (2x a year).

Anyway, I cancelled the Paperwhite and ordered the Fire HD. I love it. It is portable, I never take my Ipad anywhere, just too big. I uploaded my entire music library from Itunes to Amazon Cloud, (so much for being locked down Apple!) and of course all of my books are on it. I regularly borrow books from my local library and was often frustrated that when I was away from home I could not search for books on my regular Kindle, becuase the experimental browser was just not functional enough.

The sound is amazing as everyone has said, as well as the display. No need to go into detail about what everyone else said. My only gripe is that the touch screen is not really as responsive as I would like, but it still works fine. The display does cut the reflection and you can read out doors. That is not to say there is no glare, it's just not an unreadable LCD screen any longer.

As far as the ads go, I don't find them obtrusive. I like knowing what other people bought or may have looked at. What's the big deal? If your friends recommend something to you, do you get mad? Same thing here to me.

I like that I can sync my email and now, actually use the Prime streaming video service. Yes, I know I could use the app on my Ipad, but like I said, I like it all packaged neatly here.

My only question is how many HD movies/TV shows can you download to the device? I like to download them when I travel and delete when I get home.

If you are an Amazon user, you should know that this tablet is no different that any other device (Apple?) that tries to get you completely integrated into their system. Should not really be a surprise to anyway that all of the shopping experiences point to Amazon.

I am pleased to have a tablet that is portable and easy to use.

Great job Amazon.

My word to the rest of the "reviewers" don't actually own the product, but write reviews on products that you don't own, to grip about a feature you read about. It's silly and clutters the reviews for those of us that actually like reading what other people are saying about a product.

**Update 10/1/2012**

After having my fire for a few weeks I still have very few complaints. I pretty much carry it with me whenever I am out of the house. I love having the option to read or if there way available wi-fi watch a movie. I wish it came with 4G but I bet it would make the price out of line with other small tablets.

The only cons I have is the typing experiences. It seems there is not predicitive text for the Silk browser which makes typing a little tough. I hear though there will be an update.

I dislike fingerprints on the screen when reading, but easily remedied with s soft cloth.

I have read 3 books and I am on my 4th and the screen is no issue whatsoever. This was my biggest concern before purchasing. I have no issue whatsoever. Just so you know, I read a lot and love the Eink Kindles, so this was an experiment to see if I could read for long periods of time with no eyestrain. Not an issue at all.

All in all I still love it. I have not used my Ipad since getting my fire.

stem
An Amazon.com official commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Oct 1, 2012 5:13:28 PM PDT
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We're glad you're enjoying your Kindle Fire HD, and we are particularly excited to see your encouraging comments regarding the display and sound quality, as the team worked really hard to build an excellent experience.

We wanted to answer your question about storage. HD content is much larger than SD content, which is why Kindle Fire HD starts at 16GB. On average, a 90 minute HD movie is 2GB and a 45 minute HD TV episode is 0.9GB. With your 16GB Kindle Fire HD, you can have up to 6 HD movies or 13 HD TV episodes. This number will vary depending on the other items you have stored or installed on your device.

We hope this information helps.

Thanks,
The Kindle Team

3,608 of 3,836 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Fire HD, September 17, 2012
I purchased the original Kindle Fire on release day last year. It served me pretty well but was extremely glitchy. It would freeze, restart and stutter while playing games. For what it was, an entry level device, it wasnt bad.

So when the Kindle Fire HD was released, I decided I might as well give it a go as well. So far the Kindle HD looks to be twice the machine the original was. I am gonna keep this short and sweet and just create a pros and cons list for you guys. I dont want to be too long winded, but if you have questions you post in the comments, I will try to respond to them for a little while today.

PROS:

1. Vibrant Screen
2. Much more responsive to the Touch than the original Kindle ever was.
3. Games that stuttered on the Original, play flawlessly on the HD.
4. The speakers are awesome, Loud, clear and crisp. No need for the Volume + app like on the original fire.
5. The device is slim, sleek and sexy. Really like the curves on the back and the styling.
6. Front facing camera works great for SKYPE. Quality was better than that on my SIII phone.
7. Wifi seems a bit faster, but not by much. Silk still isnt an optimal browser though. I have 65Mbps Download and 15Mbps Upload subscribed service.
8. Cloud sync worked like a charm, almost everything from my old fire is now on my new Fire HD.
9. The device feels sturdy and well built.

CONS:
1. The "Customers Also Bought" on the bottom of the home screen is terrible. I can care less about what others bought. The advertisements on the Lock Screen are fine and understandable, they really dont bother me at all or with the function of the device. The CAB on the home screen take away from having your favorites immediately accessible and are extremely intrusive with no option to remove it. I would gladly keep the ads on the lockscreen and pay 15 bucks to get rid of the CAB on the homescreen. Enough on that.
2. I work in a hospital and I know 11 people including my wife who now is a proud owner of a Fire HD. One thing we have all noticed is that sometimes when you unlock your device, the speakers will make a popping sound, sort of like a static or feedback. Hopefully this gets fixed.
3. Compared to the Original fire, there is a noticeable delay when clicking on apps or games. It seems more prevalent on certain apps but the same apps have no issue on the original Fire. More prevalent on the HD than on the original.
4. Magic books. For some odd reason, things I remove from the carousel magically reappear to irritate me constantly. I am a bit OCD and only want what I use to be on my carousel and nothing more. Hopefully this will be fixed as well.
5. Certain apps that were available on the Kindle Fire, are not available on the Kindle Fire HD. Accuweather for example is no longer a free app on the HD neither is ScreenDim.
6. I do not understand why we cannot use a different keyboard like Swiftkey. That would be a massive upgrade over the stock keyboard.

NON ISSUES:
1. Flash Player- It isnt so hard to get this to be a flash device. First you need a browser that allows flash to operate. Download a browser like Dolphin 8.8.1 to begin with. Not only does Dolphin perform better than Silk, it is more intuitive as well. Next download Flash Player 11.1 for ICS, make sure its for ICS. Once both are sideloaded, install, and flash should be working. It works on mine. CHECK MY COMMENTS FOR A STEP BY STEP
2. Charger not included- Again, in this day and age, most cellphones and other electronic devices use a mini usb charger. Just use the same plug for the Fire HD. I use my old Fire charger just fine.
3. Carousel- While most agree customization of the carousel skins would of been a nice touch, it still isnt a deal breaker and I didnt buy it to stare at the carousel.

I probably have over 20 hours on the Fire HD right now. From my memory that is all I can recall. If I remember anything or run across anything, new I will just edit in an update below. Any questions just ask in the comments. Overall, this device seems like a great deal. It should be much stronger once a patch is released to fix some bugs, but what doesnt need a patch these days once a product is released. Overall great showing by Amazon. Good Luck

Update #1 9-17-2012
So this is the second time that I have come home from work and the wifi on my Kindle Fire HD is acting wonky. It worked fine at work, then I got home and if I wasnt in the same room as the router, I couldnt get a page to load even though I had full bars of wifi. A reset of the Kindle HD completely fixed this and now I am outside on my front porch, far far away from my router. Hopefully an update will fix the wifi steadiness. Not sure if its because I switched to a different network or what, but I am gonna submit feedback to amazon regarding the issue.

Update #2 09-19-2012

So the issue occurred again. My Fire HD wifi worked this morning at home. I went to work, it hooked up to the public wifi at work no problems. I get home and unless I am right next to my router, pages will not load. Instead of restarting the entire FIRE HD, I went to options, turned off wifi and turned it back on. Problem was solved. Everything then worked as it should. I am not sure why I am having these issues with Wifi as I am a gaming geek and have brand new equipment and top of the line router and modem. I have the Asus RT-N66U router and Motorola SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 modem. All other devices and the original FIRE work fine, no issues. If anyone else has these issues try turning wifi off then on again.

Update #3 09-20-2012

So it occurred again. I emailed Kindle Feedback with the issue to hopefully have them fix it in an update. By the way, if you guys want to report issues with your kindle fire, email: kindle-feedback@amazon.com

09-22-2012

So it has been a full work week of use for the Kindle Fire HD. I have probably used the device now for about 50-60 hours of web browsing, shopping, posting on forums, playing games, skyping, watching movies and reading. What is nice is one of those Advertisements on the lock screen that so many people complain about gave me a free 5 dollar credit to rent a movie on Amazon Instant Video for nothing at all. How could they? LOL. Overall the Kindle Fire HD has been a superb device for me. Only a few apps have forced closed on me during this time, just as often as on any other device. I am used to the "Customers also bought" section on the homepage already, I dont even notice it anymore. Like I said before, the advertisements are really a non issue, and actually have paid me by giving me free MP3 credits and free movie credits. Wifi speed is good, picture clarity is great, sound is in a class of itself for tablets.

10-27-12

Update 7.2.1 finally enables us to get rid of the pesky "Customers Also Bought" that many of us were complaining about. Now we have just our normal carousel without anyone trying to get us to buy something that we do not want. The patch still did nothing for the popping noise that the speakers make randomly while using the tablet. I have now noticed it makes a popping noise sometimes even during games, not only when sliding the open bar on the lock screen. This doesnt happen often, but when it does, it is annoying. There are still instances where the wifi drops out or says it is connected and doesnt allow you to surf the web. You must then turn wifi off then back on again on the kindle fire and everything is fine. Amazon says they are working on a fix and I have sent my data log files to them on numerous occasions to help with this issue.

I really dont think you can beat this at its price range at all especially if you are an avid Amazon shopper. The Amazon Prime subscription ($79.00 a year) basically gives you a subscription to a "netflix-like" streaming service (netflix is $96.00 a year for streaming), access to tons of books and free 2 day shipping on most amazon purchases. That benefit right there is what seals the deal, no other tablet provider can lump together all those services at a low price like Amazon. I am really happy with my choice, but sure there are things I would love to have on this tablet, but I knew that before buying it. If anyone has questions just post them in the comments. I do my best to answer them. Also if you see a question on there you feel you can answer, by all means please do. Its nice to help others get the full potential out of their purchases. Have a good one.

I will continue to update this thread with all my findings and hope to help people make an informed decision. Thanks

3,172 of 3,398 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Reviews From an iPad User, September 18, 2012
Hello- This is taken from the perspective of a very dire hard Apple/iPad fan. Here goes.

First, this product is absolutely incredible. I really went into it expecting to dislike it. I even tried to cancel my order, but I was too late and it was delivered. Thus, I opened the package expecting to have nothing but complaints compared to my iPad3 (or whatever its called).

Pros:
- Image quality is stunning. Really really terrific
- Build quality is, I think, actually better than the iPad (which shocked me)- The reason is that I HATE holding aluminum in my hands for a long time. It doesn't breath and when I'm on a hot airplane, I really hate it.
- Form factor is FAR FAR better than the iPad. Keep in mind, I travel to China and back all the time, so I really want something that is very portable. The form factor is 100% perfect for traveling.
- Flawless integration with Amazon's ecosystem- This is really the reason I bought it (and size). I actually sit there and smile when I use this to get to movies, tv, and all my books and magazines. SMOKES the iPad.
- Usability it terrific. I just turn it on and it works.

Why only 4 stars?
- 5 stars to me means 100% perfect. This is not 100% perfect, but its pretty darn close
- No charger? Really? C'mon. It takes hours to charge via usb. I just sort of feel short changed a little. I just used my iPad's USB charging plug and it works great.
- I've had to restart it 2 times in 4 days. It seems to just sort of get confused when I'm really hammering on it. Restarts take about 30seconds so its no biggie.
- Amazon needs more apps, badly. Granted, all I want is books, video, web browsing, email, and calendar. It does all this perfectly. But more choices would be nice.

Overall, I'm guessing my iPad will make its way to the kids now over time. If you travel a lot, want your amazon content, and do basic email/web/calendar, etc... this device smokes the iPad. I can't believe I'm saying this.

Hope this helps.

2,069 of 2,273 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars An Orphaned Device, September 15, 2012

My original review warned that Amazon had a history of not providing updated operating systems to their legacy devices. And that has again proven true. The current Fire HD, the one released in 2013, is running a new operating system called Fire OS 3.0, which is based upon Android 4.2.2 (this is according to Wikipedia) whereas this device is stuck on a fork of Android 4.0.3; I've called Kindle support and the nice lady tells me that this is the situation and she has no information about it changing. By comparison, I purchased an iPad Mini a few months after my Kindle Fire HD, and it has since been upgraded to from iOS 6 to 7, and then 8 and since Apple still sells it will almost assuredly get iOS 9. This Kindle is not a device with a software future.

So, I've had both this device and an iPad Mini in my house for well over a year, and my children and I have both hugely favored the Mini in terms of every use case except the easy consumption of books. The Mini has a nicer, smoother browser which combined with its larger screen make it a far superior web experience, an easier to navigate operating system: the standard carousel view of the Kindle gets old very fast as you want to navigate to another app. And iOS has the best selection of optimized tablet apps of any mobile device. The Kindle has proven a nice way for my son to spontaneously find something to read; as long as I can stomach the occasional $6 charge for a cheap book. And it's been convenient sometimes to drop the kids into the Freetime mode of curated all-you-can-eat children's content. But in general, we get more use out of the Mini; to the point I lost the Kindle somewhere in the house for a couple months and nobody complained or even asked where it might be (it was under a stack of books).

The hardware has been solid if not a technological feast. Whereas I've twice had to go and get my iPad Mini replaced via AppleCare due to a drop, the Fire HD is completely unscathed and looks as new as the day it came out of the box. Most of this is use, but still, it's solidly built. However, I'm constantly reminded by the huge difference in screen size between a widescreen 7 inch tablet like this device and a 4:3 nearly 8 inch tablet like the Mini; there's just so much more content visible on the Mini and common activities like web browsing seem so less confined. The Kindle does have a lovely high resolution screen and text looks great on it. Speedwise, the Kindle chugs along; it's not ridiculously underpowered like the original Kindle Fire, but you wouldn't call it snappy. My original review said the design of the device was something "...future Kindles can build upon and refine..." well that turned out to be wrong, not that the new design is bad.

Connectivity has been fine. I've never had any problems with WiFi, and the times I've needed to use Bluetooth--for playing music to speakers for instance--have worked flawlessly, better than iOS 6 at being reliable. I wish that the charging port didn't look so much like the adjacent mini-HDMI port as finding which to plug into is a pain. The worst thing about the construction are the buttons which are hard to locate, and cheap feeling. The microphone/headphone jack has been a bit unreliable when it comes to using headphone controls, sometimes a click is missed.

The ecosystem has been mediocre. I don't have much experience with Google's Play Store, but certainly as an iOS user I have a better App store and a wider collection of accessories, peripherals and built in services. For instance, I'd never lose my iPad in my house as long as it had charge enough for me to make it beep with the Find My Phone app. Many people have commented in this review that I should point out the alternative of buying a Nexus 7 from Google, and while I can't recommend what I haven't used, it seems likely shoppers should give that a glance.

Anyway, I'm glad to have provided a critical review which has helped so many shoppers. I'd say that no one should buy this product as it is now priced--I'm sure Amazon expects you might want one of their newer offering--and I wish you luck with your buying decision.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fire HD - A terrific multimedia experience, September 14, 2012
This is my first Fire, so please bear in mind that I cannot contrast/compare to the Kindle Fire (traditional). I have numerous other Kindle e-readers, and work with numerous other Android and Apple tablets on a regular basis.

First impressions - when it arrived today, it looked very sleek. Well-packaged, easy-to-open (unlike reports of the Nexus 7). No power plug, but I have it charging as I write this using a standard USB charging kit. Please note that if you plan on charging this device, you will (preferably) need a USB power adapter that supplies a full 2 Amps of current (or better). Otherwise, the unit will take forever to charge. And by forever, you can just check the FireHD's site out - 13 hours. Yeah. More than all night. No thanks. :) I personally believe that not including such an adapter was a wise cost-cutting move on Amazon's part... many of us already have a 2A charging adapter from other tablets/etc, and it cut $10 off the cost of the unit (or $20, if you didn't buy Amazon's special charger when you ordered the FireHD). By the way, my particular FireHD came charged to 68%.

The size is perfect - it's got a good, solid feel, as well. Not too heavy, but heavy enough to let you know it's not a toy. The back is a nicely-textured matte finish. I don't like larger tablets that much, since it obviates one of the major advantages of a tablet in the first place (mobility). At iPad/Transformer sizes, I start to wonder why the person didn't just have a Netbook or regular laptop.

Setup: The FireHD comes, as all first-bought Kindles should, pre-registered to your Amazon.com account. After power-on, the device asks for a wireless network, a timezone, and (optionally) Facebook/Twitter integration. That's it. Then it gets to the carousel/shelf interface and is instantly linked to your account's purchases. All my latest books, music, and videos were there, even those purchased earlier today, along with a Kindle Fire Welcome Guide. The device automatically updated itself after the first sleep I put it in.

Incidentally, before the device arrived, I had pre-registered to remove the ads, for $15. From what I have heard on other Kindles, the ads are actually not very invasive or annoying, and actually can help pay for the Kindle over time through reduced prices or coupon offers. Me, I prefer an uncluttered and un-advertised-to interface, so I opted out. I think it was absolutely excellent of Amazon to offer this option in response to those who wanted out of that, but I would have been fine with them being there if there was no option to turn them off.

Screen: The screen is gorgeous. Here, Amazon has learned from its competitors, who on their tablets used an application where the LCD panel is laminated/applied directly to the back of the cover glass. This allows the FireHD to have a clear, crisp screen no matter what the viewing angle. When I first powered the unit on, I cringed for a few seconds because it felt like the screen was too small - like I would feel cramped. This, however, was absolutely not the case, once the Kindle was active and into all the content, it was very open and inviting. I can only imagine how big the 8.9" would be!

In terms of usability for the touch-like nature of the display, this is the best tablet thus far I have ever used. Even light presses register properly. Many other tablets I've used are very particular about how hard you need to press or linger before registering. And yet, even with the "hyper-sensitivity" this device has, I have yet to have it register anything false (wrong button pushes), which are another hallmark of other tablets. Bravo, Amazon.

Apps: The fire comes pre-loaded with OfficeSuite (a free version of a larger suite for editing documents), the Silk web browser, a Calendar, and various other supporting apps for things like Email, Contacts, IMDB, and Help. I like that they kept the initial load relatively free of bloatware (MOTOROLA: TAKE A HINT PLEASE!!!). I personally do not like the lack of some applications on the Amazon App Store... for instance, I would have liked to load Firefox or Chrome, but they are not there. Also, a link for Skype is on there but the app is not pre-loaded.

Books read well on this, and this being my first Fire, I like the interface for reading books, though I definitely prefer e-readers for eyestrain reasons. It's nice that the FireHD has text-to-speech, especially since the PaperWhite lost this functionality (which I think was a great move; that device is an e-READER, not e-audibleprovider). The three backgrounds should help users with some of the eyestrain for limited periods of reading.

I have not yet connected this to my corporate Exchange servers, and quite honestly I may not bother. But it's nice to know that's an option. Email for Gmail works well, with an occasional "stutter" to the interface while it's loading something from the web (see my comment in the next paragraph for Performance). I doubt I will do much email from this device, but again, it's nice to know that it's there, in a pinch.

Performance: The processor is fast. It's not perfectly smooth, but reasonable. The vast majority of the lag, from what I have seen, revolves around network operations. Basically, if a screen has to load an image, or some other content, from the Internet or Amazon, the device can, and will, "stutter" occasionally. I guess there could be adjustments done to the interface to avoid this, but the fact is that to me, it isn't distracting from the experience. Temple Run and various other games run very smoothly on the device. I know it's about to sound harsh, but I would expect nothing less from an Android 4.0-based device. :)

The storage (I got the 16GB version) is adequate for what I will use it for - mostly media streaming from the Web, plus some locally installed apps, games, and side-loaded books. Anything else will be on the Cloud. If you're a heavy movie watcher and want them loaded on the device itself (perhaps you would use this on a bus or commuter train), you may want to wait until October for the 32GB version; the $50 difference would be worth it, then.

Wireless: Out of the box, Bluetooth is disabled (which is a good thing, don't want anyone hacking our precious new toy, now do we?). Since I have not been able to get Flash, I cannot benchmark the wireless (TWCable and Speedtest.net use Flash). Huh, now I know what it's like to use an Apple product. :) However, all file transfers happen as fast as most other wireless hardware I have around the house, and video streaming of HD looks crisp and clear. Video playback looks clean and the controls are easy to use.

Buttons/Interface: I don't like where they placed the camera on the device. I personally think it should be on the other side, so that the camera is "up" when put in a case that allows for stand-up (though, this might be my case - but I don't see how they could have easily engineered around it). The camera provides a good, clear picture for video conferencing after a brief Skype test, and appeared to operate fairly well in low light, which is encouraging for me, since many areas in my house aren't adequately lit (hence my additional order for a Kindle PaperWhite :)). The interfaces on the unit are the speakers (which are decent, but don't expect huge bass or amazing sound from tiny speakers), USB and HDMI out (THANK YOU AMAZON! The HDMI interface, ALONE, should sway folks to this platform over other tablets!), the headphone jack (which is well-placed, not too near a corner and not recessed as early iPhones were), and the power and volume rocker buttons.

Quite honestly, the only poor thing about the device is the power and volume rocker buttons. They are flush with the chassis, have little gap between them and the chassis, and are the same color as the chassis (black). This means that, every time I sleep the unit or adjust volume, I'm squinting at the top of the Fire to figure out where the heck the buttons are. While it is, technically, possible to "feel" your way to the buttons, it's impractical - since the volume rocker buttons have a tiny raised edge which "announces" their presence, but they are not differently-sized (smaller nubbin for "lower volume", larger nubbin for "increase volume"). I think that, in time, the power button will be easier to find, since it's smack-dab-in-the-middle of the top, but for now, it's kind of a hunt, especially with a case on. I would have preferred a raised button. But believe me, this is a very minor complaint on an otherwise excellent interface implementation.

Here's where the "religious war" starts. First off, I refuse to compare tablets purely on a hardware basis as, inherently, a contest of "this one is best." That's a technological no-win situation. Also, I firmly believe that, as a technology, tablets (of all kinds, not just the FireHD), since their inception, have been a solution looking for a problem. They are jack-of-all-trades, master of none. They are neat gadgets, but in and of themselves, they cannot do a tenth of what an average Netbook or laptop computer is capable of, and with current price points for decent laptops in the $400-500 range, it's hard to justify a tablet based on hardware alone. And I'm glad that Bezos and others at Amazon "get" this - I can't tell you how many friends and family members I know that own tablets, and never use them - because they want a keyboard and mouse.

Here's where the FireHD shines. I think that the perfect niche for a tablet, where it can have a chance to be a "master" as opposed to a "master of none" - is in the singular application of being a multimedia consumption device. When a user wants to read a book, listen to music, watch a movie - they want a simple, point-and-shoot interface. And a tablet provides not only the interface, but the mobility.

Conclusions:
I feel that the FireHD is really what tablet users should be looking for. We should be looking at a device that provides easy, mobile access to an ecosystem of rich media, with features and accessibility that make it easy to use and enjoy. The Amazon ecosystem is amazing - having been a Kindle e-reader user for years, and now a Prime member with all the media perks that entails, I love how the media I purchase is available anywhere, on any platform. I think this device is a perfect complement to that experience; especially with the HDMI-out and Bluetooth capabilities, which allow this device to be a multimedia powerhouse at home or on the road.

The only "downsides" I see in this device are the slightly-difficult-to-address buttons, the lack of an option to remove/disable the carousel, a Collections for Books feature (after 100 books, it's tough sometimes to organize things and find what you want to read), and the ability to set a custom screen background while on sleep. Since three of these four are software-based, I'm hoping they can be addressed in future software. In the meantime, these do not significantly impact my enjoyment of my device.

Anyone seriously considering a tablet, especially one that takes full advantage of the Amazon ecosystem, should be considering this device. It is solid, performs well, and has a rich set of features that a $199 price tag makes all the more amazing. I think that, for $200, you would be hard-pressed to find a better way of enjoying Amazon's content offerings.

(By the way, after finishing the typing of this review, the device is at 92%, which is awesome charging speed. It's great, again, that Amazon doesn't force you to use their chargers, unlike SOME OTHER manufacturers. :))

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly, I love it ... just a few small issues ..., October 17, 2012
First: I love it. It's almost too much fun. I go to read, but wind up watching a movie. There are so many choices, I get distracted. For the money, for its intended purposes, assuming you understand what it does and doesn't do, it's the best deal you can get. It's an entire entertainment system in one affordable compact package. As a reader, it's great, although adjusting it to the level of brightness that suits you is a bit of trial and error. It's easy to adjust, but my eyes are picky. For just plain reading, my older 2nd gen Kindle is easier.

The sound is very good. Hard to believe you can get that much sound out of such tiny speakers. Impressive. The quality of the video is superb, much better than I expected. I find that I actually do watch movies in bed with my little 7" Fire HD. Because I was already a Prime member, they have so much available for free it will be a long time before I feel I need to buy anyhthing more. I have a huge library for Kindle which I can use either unit or any of my three computers. These migrate automatically.

The new Kindle HD links to the older of my 2 Audible accounts. They cannot yet link an Audible account that isn't under the same email address as your Amazon account NOR have they the technology to link multiple Audible accounts, period. IF you have mulitple Audible account under the same email address as your Amazon account, they can consolidate the libraries, but it will be one single account. They said they are working on this ... and you have to call Audible for this help, though Audible is very good about tech help and always have been, even before Amazon bought them. Audibleis working on solving this, but don't hold your breath.

The device is great for listening to audiobooks, far better for me than an MP3 player because I hate earphones. The Kindle is small enough to carry in a purse and not heavy.

Issues: 16GB is plenty ... unless you want to download HD movies. Streaming them (what I have so far done) uses no memory, so no problem. Regular "print" books are small; you can carry a whole library with you if you want. It's when you get to music and audiobooks (or the aforementioned HD movies) that you realize there's a a bit of a problem. You cannot stream audiobooks: you have to download them to the device. Nor is there any way to add memory. Kindle has no slot for an SD chip or port for a flash drive. Why not? Wouldn't it have been a no-brainer to include a port or slot for a card or flash drive? That, in my opinion, was a bad mistake. You cannot expand beyond the device's embedded memory. Period. No options. Buying the 32 GB version moves the wall, but doesn't remove it. Amazon should add a port for memory, either flash or a card. They should address this issue soon.

You need to understand the limits of the device, what the advertisements don't explain.

Audiobooks can be large. A really long book takes up quite a bit a space. You can load a few books at a time if they are normal-length books, but not 57 hours of "Lord of the Rings," for example. After you listen to a book, delete it. Then download the next. Unlike when you download to your computer from Audible, you cannot download a multi part book in sections. It's all or nothing. A book that is in your Audible library in several parts, which these days is any book longer than 11 hours, will download in a single piece to the Kindle. If the book you want to load is LOTR or Winds of War, make sure you have enough room.

You can store everything you aren't actively listening to, watching, or reading on Amazon's (free) cloud servers, so deleting content isn't losing it, just moving it off the device. This is well and good as long as you have WiFi. It gets stickier if you are on the road and WiFi connections are not available. If you travel a great deal, road warriors may want to wait and get the version that comes with 3G (available in late November I believe). If you are mainly looking to use it on the road, get the 3G. I have 3G on my older Kindle; it's great when you want a book, but don't have a WiFi connection. It will automatically switch to 3G in the absence of a WiFi network. But older Kindles don't do all the other cool stuff. They are strictly e-book readers. Very good ones, but dedicated to a single purpose.

You can pretty much whatever you want to do on your new Kindle (not writing or editing beyond email length), but you can't store everything on the device. You can't download your whole Audible library to your Kindle or download lots of HD or other movies plus miscellaneous other content. One or two movies, max, a few audiobooks, plenty of regular books ... and other content as needed ... but not everything. It's not meant for that anymore than is an iPad, which has similar space limits. If you are in range of a WiFi connections, it's no problem. At home, it's a non-issue. When/if we are traveling, I will have to choose what I want to take with me.

The manual is poorly written and incomplete. As a professional tech writer, I will say straight out that they need to hire a professional and do it right. There's no excuse for not having at least the basic information available in the online manual. If the device was more intuitive, if the menus (such as they are) were logically arranged, they might not need it, but as it stands, they definitely do need a manual. Most things are very easy to do, but finding the menu that does it or the information on how to do it is NOT easy. Yes, Amazon has great customer and tech support. Real life peoople who really know the device and will stay on the phone with you until your battery runs out ... but who wants to have to call customer service to figure out how to delete a book or movie? Or for that matter, turn the unit on? It's stupidly simple to do all this stuff, assuming you can find the manual at all (I had to call for that, too), you will not find any listing under the words "delete," "remove", "turn on," etcetera. It's the first rule of tech writing to explain the basic stuff up front without having to search for it, and certainly should not need to call a hotline for this information. Just hire a competent tech writer. We work cheap, really. Give employment to someone who needs it!

I'm still figuring out where various functions are and how to make them work. They do work, but the figuring them out is anti-intuitive.

I bought the $199 version that has advertising. I'm not finding them intrusive. You can get rid of them, even after you've bought it, for $15 if they annoy you, but they only show up as an offers menu or on the splash screen before you open to the contents.

If you already are a member of the Amazon community, if you have Prime, already have a Kindle library, and/or an Audible account, it's the best deal in town.

I have yet to want something that Amazon doesn't have, usually cheaper than anyone else, so for me, it was ideal. Absolutely no reason for me to look elsewhere, though I did actually look at everything else before I bought this. If you want everything, spend some much bigger money and get a tablet. Go for broke and get an iPad. They're cool.

But remember: if your primary issue is READING, a tablet computer is not as good for reading as any reader is. Tablets are shinier and more reflective; they are useless in the sun. Any Kindle, is better for reading. Decide what you want to do. Many people have a tablet AND a Kindle (or other reader). One size may not "fit all" for you. The Fire is not a iPad, but it's pretty close and a heck of a lot less money.

If you want to read, watch a movie or TV show, listen to audio, do email, see what's happening on Twitter or Facebook -- or any website, really -- it will do that and more. You can transfer content directly to the Kindle USB cable from your computer or store it in Amazon's cloud, then move it to your Kindle. I've got three computers: laptop, desktop, and mini, so I am not going to worry about storing documents and photographs on my Kindle, though I may take them up on using some of their storage space. Photographs are another thing that can overload a small device fast. Be sensible and reasonable in your expectations.

It's a fine device, esecially for the price. It really does 95% of what Amazon promises, though not necessarily quite the way you expected. Plan on calling at least once or twice, if only because the menus and manual are inadequate. This problem is NOT unique to Kindle. I have some expensive cameras I still can't fully use because the manual is useless and they don't have friendly 24/7 service.

Thumbs up for quality, sound, video, speed (download and delete speeds are breathtakingly fast). It's also a nice looking device, compact and the accessories, finally, are affordable, even cheap. You will NOT have to pay $50 for a case this time. You can find nice ones for as little as $4 or $5 dollars. Buy the Quick Charger ($9.99). Worth it. Whether or not you'll need a stylus? I bought some inexpensive ones, but I never use them. The touch screen is sensitive (sometimes too sensitive) and easier with fingers than a stylus. If you have big hands, the stylus might be easier for you. It's a personal thing. Try it before you make a big investment. A cheap stylus will work just as well as an expensive one.

Fingerprints: not bad. I got lens wipes at Walmart. They are great for the Kindle, my camera, my computer AND my eyeglasses. Protective screen? There goes your HD and the sensitivity of the touchcreen. I can send you a bunch free; they came with other things and are pointless. Don't bother.

Absolutely do get a case for protection if nothing else. I recommend one that turns into an easel so you can watch movies or TV hands free and prefereably, also turns it on when you open it, turns it off when you close it. The on-off button is small and hard to find. My $8 case turns the whole unit on and off and is a standing easel. Problem fixed. It cost $7.99. The Kindle wakes instantly; a zero second startup.

The touchscreen is sensitive and I often find that I've started downloading when all I was trying to do was navigate. Amazon needs to address this. It's annoying. Getting information about a book or movie is tricky and to avoid the issue, I go to the Amazon store and look it up there. They need more and better menus.

And it's still the best deal in town!

1,124 of 1,253 people found the following review helpful

2:11-3:12 - Startup, Registration, initial setup
3:13-3:40 - Software features, pre-installed apps
3:41-4:36 - Special offers, home screen headings
3:38-4:56 - Storage space

This is what Kindle Fire, Full Color 7" Multi-touch Display, Wi-Fi should have been. What is the Kindle Fire HD for? An Amazon customer who desires to consume Amazon products and it works great for this. Read Kindle books? Subscribe to Prime and watch Instant Videos or get your monthly lending library book? Amazon Appstore free app of the day, every day? This device will help you consume more Amazon content and media than you have before and is this a bad thing? Not if you are an Amazon customer.

The improvements over the original Kindle Fire: Camera, Bluetooth, sleeker user interface, storage has doubled to 16GB (approx. 12.45 user accessible) up from 8GB. The speaker placement has moved to the back and arched so that both speakers are not on the same side and/or easily covered when lying flat. The sound is reasonable, and clear. Screen display is much improved with 1280x800 resolution and movies in 720p.

It's nice to see the addition of Bluetooth however would have been equally great to have OTG from the micro USB connection. Overall, for what this tablet is as an Amazon media consumption device, it serves that purpose well.

Additional Tip, after shutting down for the first time, on reboot the Kindle may install an update.

2.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch Hardware-Software Holding It Back, September 18, 2012
When I first heard about the Kindle Fire HD, I knew it was an upgrade I was going to make. The main feature I was looking forward to was the new screen. The idea of the touchscreen being directly on top of the LCD and a polarizing filter on the screen seemed perfect for a Tablet that was also going to be an e-reader. I really never buy anything expecting a perfect experience or downright horrible experience. I guess you could say I was expecting a 4-Star experience. Shortly after opening the box I felt like I was dealing with a 3-Star device and unfortunately over the next few hours I realized I could not consider this device more than a 2-Star device.

I honestly think this is my first Amazon review, but I feel that this device is important enough for people to have completely un-biased reviews to read. I have owned countless devices through the years including the first Kindle Fire and a Nook Color. Since I will say some negative things about the device, some people will criticize my comments, but those who are considering the device should consider all of these positives and negatives before making the purchase.

PRO'S:

-Hard Button Layout
-System Lag
-Shopping Device

SCREEN:
This screen was what I most looked forward to and it did not disappoint. The resolution is perfect for a tablet. The 1280x800 is perfect for a 7" device, but it is the fact that the touchscreen is directly on the LCD that makes it extremely clear without glare and makes it perfect for reading and watching videos.

DOLBY AUDIO/SPEAKERS:
I have read some complaints on the speakers with some saying they were not loud or that they sounded like a tin can. I really can't go there with anyone. Without a doubt these are the best speakers I have ever had on any mobile device...phone, tablet or laptop. I could play music with the Fire HD in one room and hear it clearly in the adjacent room. I am really still amazed at these speakers and just wish other manufactures would take a hint from this. The only negative comes on the software end and the music player will play songs without sound at times.

FAST WIFI:
I have honestly not gotten to experience this enough, but the WIFI locks on and stays connected and runs fast enough to do anything I would need. I am just impressed that a manufacturer thought about improving the WIFI experience instead to only thinking about ways to put 3G and 4G radios in a device to work in agreement with the cellular companies. WIFI is plenty for most and it is nice that Amazon has taken a step ahead with this.

EXCELLENT BUILD QUALITY:
This thing just feels nice. There is nowhere on the device that I felt they skimped on the quality. It feels solid and well made. Not much more to say on this, but they did it right.

ACCESS TO PRIME CONTENT:
Especially for those with a Prime Membership this will be an excellent device. I have long been a Prime member, but have just started using the Prime Video more often. Having access to it on this device is a big plus and honestly is a big portion of the market that this device is meant for.

HARD BUTTON LAYOUT:
This will seem like the most minuscule thing to criticize, but once you use one of these devices you will realize that it is not. The hard buttons (Power/Volume) are almost impossible to find. They sit nice and flush with the casing of the device and that looks awesome, but I am not just going to sit and look at a device like this. The plan is to use it and the way the buttons are designed makes them virtually impossible to find without actually looking for them. This is especially frustrating in a dark room when your wife is yelling at you for turning the device up with the awesome, loud speakers when she is trying to sleep. You normally get a feel for where the buttons on a device are after a few minutes and can find them by feel. This does not work with the Fire HD. You have to look for them every single time.

SYSTEM LAG:
For a device built as well as this one, I am still amazed at the amount of system lag. It has plenty of processing power, but I can spend multiple seconds (5+) waiting for simple pages to load. When I say pages, I am meaning screens like the screen for your apps or books. It is just downright slow at times. I was also playing music from my device (NOT FROM THE CLOUD) and browsing a simple web page without much graphics, but the music was skipping. Playing music in the background and simple web browsing should not bee too much for this device, but it was.

SHOPPING DEVICE:
This is the area where it is really easy to get people all up in a tizzy. I purchased this knowing about the special offers. I once bought a Kindle specifically for the special offers. I have a special email address just to receive coupons to hundreds of stores. I enjoy online shopping and good deals. Special offers is absolutely no problem for me. The problem is that this is unlike any special offers device Amazon has ever made. People get mad at people for criticizing the ads and say that people should have known about it since it has been widely discussed on the internet before launch. I can understand that argument, but there is no way anyone could completely understand what they were walking into before experiencing it.

The ads are not on just the lockscreen, but are on every single page you go to until you are actually doing something. If you are reading or watching a movie you are fine, but until you get to that point you will be bombarded by ads, with most saying "Other Customers Purchased." I have always been able to give my son my phone or tablet to play with, but three seconds after handing him the Fire HD I took it back from him out of fear he would accidentally buy something. The only device he has ever done that with was my original Fire, but I never really worried it would happen again. I know there is the FreeTime setup, but I have never had to use something like that in the past with my son and don't feel like I should have to start doing that now that he is older. I honestly wonder if the FreeTime option was something Amazon realized they would have to do for kids to prevent accidental purchase issues.

One final point on the shopping device is that on the top of the device where you choose what you want to do, the options are in this order...Shop, Games, Apps, Books, Music, Videos, Newsstand, Audiobooks, Web, Photos, Docs, Offers. The first eight options are things that allow you to spend money on Amazon. You have to swipe across to get to something as simple as web.

CONCLUSION:
The build quality and specs of this device are amazing. If they had not skinned Android so much, it would have been awesome. I honestly think some of the system lag is due to the device constantly having to pull information for ads and the entire operating system just gives a bad feel. I think I expected this to be a little less e-reader and more tablet this time, but instead it is less tablet and more shopping device. I am someone who loves to shop on Amazon. They don't have to sell me a device to sell me more stuff. I will gladly walk my fingers into their online store and spend more money than I ever should.

Where my 2-star rating comes from is that I would consider the Nexus 7 a far superior device overall. The build quality of the Fire HD is far superior, but the overall experience with a Nexus 7 is much better. I would not give a Nexus 7 over a 3-Star rating and for that I can't go higher than 2-Stars on the Fire HD. In all honesty, those stars come from the build of this device alone. This device could have been completely amazing, but Amazon missed the mark big time.

An Amazon.com official commented on the review belowSee comments
2,190 of 2,457 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Recomendations....not good Amazon...I need your help, September 26, 2012
I just got my new HD this afternoon, and I am not happy. I LOVE my Kindle Fire, and my husband treated me with a Birthday gift today with an upgrade to the new HD (I think just because he wanted my Fire!). I just pulled it out of the box this afternoon, and couldn't believe the differences since last Christmas (with my original Fire). The main screen for logging in is full of advertisements (special offers). In order to have that removed you have to pay an additional $15+applicable tax under you `manage my Kindle account'. After I paid, I found out that that does not include removing the 'recommendations' on your main screen.

I know, and expect, to see 'recommendations' (customer who bought this..also bought that...) when I am browsing and purchasing items - but I shouldn't have to see random 'recommendations' on my main screen when logged into my Kindle Fire HD. WHEN I AM NOT EVEN LOOKING AT ANYTHING.

Basically, on the Fire where you have your favorites....on the new HD it is all advertising ('recommendations'), and they CANNOT BE REMOVED. They now have a star to click on for your favorites.
So, I paid my $15+tax to remove all of this (so I thought). When I did, the first log in screen turned back into the normal 'back ground' screen saver. But, when I logged in - guess what is still there....recommendations. I called tech support, and they ended up refunding my $15 (for the misunderstanding)...but advised me that the recommendations CANNOT be removed until enough of us complain to Amazon to get an update to remove it.

The only suggestion they gave me, was to turn my Kindle HD to the landscape position so I won't see them... THAT'S BS AMAZON.
I understand everyone is trying to make a buck, but come on. I shouldn't be subject to any random advertising on a 'tablet' I personally purchased...without even 'searching' for something. Basically, we purchased an item that is full of advertisements, and I can't block it.

I took great lengths today to 'unsubscribe' to advertisements that I was automatically 'subscribed' to on my new HD (remind you I already have the Fire and Prime account) - (which apparently I was automatically subscribed to on my new HD) - `for my convenience' today. And, ended up 'unsubscribing' to 177 3rd party (whatever's). ONCE AGAIN - THAT'S BS AMAZON.
So, if you don't help me get Amazon to update their product to let me use my Kindle Fire HD - the way I want to use it....I will be returning it for refund. (I have 29 days)

Additionally, I would not recommend it for anyone who is not 'computer savvy', as I had to struggle after using my Fire to figure this new (HD) out. If you buy it for yourself (or someone who does not have a decent understanding of computers/personal security) there is great potential to be ripped off with accidental purchases, or by too many companies with access to your personal information. (They even wanted log into my FB account and see all my friends/pictures/...anything - even when I was not logged in)

Once again.... LOVED my first Fire that I got as a gift last Christmas (2011). I have used Amazon for years - buying and selling - but am very disappointed with this new (HD) purchase.

PLEASE don't sell out Amazon...keep your integrity, and remove the unwanted advertising (recommendations) and let us 'users' choose. I have been loyal until now. I am giving a couple days (as recommended by Customer Service) before retuning my new HD. My husband (and I) paid $199 (plus $15..which is refunded). I shouldn't have to see all of this crap when logged into my personal tablet.

stem
An Amazon.com official commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Sep 27, 2012 10:14:55 AM PDT
Thank you for your feedback.

We wanted to let you know that in the coming weeks, a free software update will be coming to Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD. Among other features, we're adding a setting to let customers control whether or not personalized recommendations appear below the carousel on the device home page.

We hope this information helps.

Thanks,
The Kindle Team

Edited 11/6/12 - We delivered this software update at the end of October as an automatic download when you are connected to Wi-Fi. This update includes a lot of great new features, including the ability to control whether or not personalized recommendations appear below the carousel on the device homepage. You can find this option under Application settings. Thank you again for your feedback, and we hope you enjoy this new update.