Kindle Edition MORE Expensive than Paperback!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2010 11:23:32 AM PDT
Iolanthe says:
The forthcoming Nora Roberts novel, "Happy Ever After" is $9.99 for the Kindle while the Lg Format Paperback (?) is more than a dollar less. Publishers, Wake Up: To price the Kindle edition higher than the Hardcovers or Paper is ridiculous!!!!

Posted on Oct 28, 2010 3:58:52 AM PDT
They want us to buy the paperback, not the Kindle edition. I'm just grateful it's available on the Kindle at all so I don't have to go to the store.

Posted on Oct 30, 2010 4:57:02 PM PDT
I'm waiting.....the price should go down.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2010 3:41:17 AM PDT
A. McDonald says:
The may want us to buy one over the other, but I won't bother with either one! This one I'll pick up at the library. They still have those you know!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2010 7:00:17 AM PDT
Theresa says:
I paid $11.20 for this paperback at Walmart, so for me this would be less expensive when I get mine for Christmas. Looking forward to my Kindle!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 3:50:45 PM PST
C. Pridemore says:
yes i saw that after i bought a kindle, 189.00 doesn.t come easy, then i started pageing the books and i,m not saveing any money. the kindle books should be more than a few dollars cheaper than the paper books . all ready up sat about this. and don,t even have my kindle yet. some thing needs to be done.thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 4:17:49 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Sep 2, 2011 6:16:45 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 6:01:53 PM PST
jones says:
I also thought that the kindle books would be less expensive. I do love my kindle but am disapointed with the prices of the books. I wonder if this will get better with time. I do tell people that are thinking about buying a kindle about the high prices of kindle books. I personaly will not pay more for a kindle book that the hardcover price. At least with the hardcover you can pass the book on and a friend can enjoy the book. Also while I am on the subject what is up with the x rated books. Wouldnt it make sence for the books to have a catagory listed with the discription such as western, romance ect... I did think that we should get a kindle for my 13 year old until I started running into some of the really bad books.Is there a way that young people could not have access to these books? Many are free and dont really sound bad until you get them. I dont beleve in book burning but Amazon could be better about this.

Posted on Dec 2, 2010 11:27:40 AM PST
L. F. G. says:
The price of the Kindle edition being greater than a paperback is infuriating to me! My Kindle cost $249.00 in January 2010, so every book I read has a portion of that investment tacked on to the Kindle book price. I have gone back to getting "real" books from the library with an occasional new author at a very low price on kindle. It shouldn't be this way when you consider the cost of paper, ink, transportation, and inventory.

I would not recommend that anyone buy a Kindle with the high price of Amazon Kindle books. You pay the hefty investment for the Kindle and you pay higher for your books than the paperback price. I'm not "buying" into that and suggest you don't either.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2010 1:58:16 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 21, 2010 1:06:29 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2010 4:53:05 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 7, 2010 4:54:11 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 10:32:35 AM PST
E. Andreu says:
I will not be buying a Kindle, that is for sure. I would reather buy the book and be able to re-sell it or give it away. I also like going to the library. I have wasted over $200 in ebooks. I will never be able to do anything with them after reading them. :(

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 10:35:20 AM PST
E. Andreu says:
I downloaded and listened to the audiobook of Happily Ever After from my library for free. :)

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 6:30:23 AM PST
A. Flannery says:
Haven't you noticed that the higher cost books have a disclaimer stated "This price was set by the publisher". You cannot blame Amazon for something they have no control over. I read an interview online where La Nora stated she doesn't care for e-book's (she owns a bookstore in MD) and doesn't necessarily like that Kindle has special formatting requirements. I think all authors should just like that their books are being sold.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 12:12:01 PM PST
eileen says:
Perhaps everyone should start emailing the authors whose e-books cost more than the paperbacks and commit to boycotting them. Nora's email is:
readers@noraroberts.com

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 6:05:07 PM PST
That's funny... I see plenty of books FOR FREE, and quite a darned few listed at .99, .89, 1.34 etc.

Maybe it's just me?

Posted on Jan 9, 2011 2:24:04 PM PST
I only download free Kindle books now, and an occasional $5 or less item. In the next year I'll pick up an android tablet, where I can access Kindle books as well as other publishers. Recommending all my friends avoid the Kindle, and just download the app on whatever device they already have. Love the e-ink, but I really hate the trend in book pricing.

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 7:19:40 PM PST
Writing the authors will not change the pricing. This is a choice made by some publishers. Google agency five pricing, write the publishers if you want to protest. Authors and vendors are not any happier than readers.

Posted on Jan 11, 2011 12:29:48 PM PST
It is sad that publishing companies are trying to force people back into paper books just so they can continue to make money from the unsuspecting public. Personally I read alot of free books or books by indy authors that are priced less than 5.00 I refuse to pay more than 9.99 for any book. I have not bought the lastest by my favorite author because it is priced at 12.99 for kindle and I will not ever buy until the price becomes reasonable and if I lose interest in the mean time then they will lose a sale.

If every single kindle reader out there just refused to buy books that cost more than 9.99 publishers will have no choice but to work within our pricing. But as long as people are still buying the books then there is nothing that we can do.

Posted on Jan 12, 2011 8:57:56 AM PST
Theresa says:
I agree completely. If there is a book that I really want, I am adding it to my wish list and it can sit there until the book becomes reasonably priced. In the meantime, I love my Kindle but there are enough books that are free or price around $5 that I can read to keep me busy. I love the convenience of the Kindle and being able to carry it in my purse where ever I go, but I am not ready to give in to paying $9.99 or more for books. I'm patient, I can wait.

Posted on Jan 14, 2011 7:34:30 AM PST
I just bought a kindle edition book for $13 plus sales tax, while the new paperback is $10 and no sales tax.

*** Attention amazon *** It is deceptive (and obnoxious) when your $13 kindle edition price is listed as "You save 50%" when the truth is "You pay 27% MORE." At least have the honesty not to advertise any savings at all. Shame on you.

*** Attention publishers *** when you price the kindle edition at $3 more than the street price for the brand new paperback, you are creating a strong incentive for stealing ebooks. Piracy thrives:

1) When purchasing legitimate digital products is too difficult (e.g. why everyone stole MP3s until iTunes made it easier to buy music than it was to steal), or

2) When the price on digital products is perceived as unfair.

Posted on Jan 15, 2011 5:05:39 AM PST
I absolutely LOVE the KINDLE.... I have purchased a few books for 9.99 and 12.99 but I mostly stick to the free ones and they turn out to be VERY good. I am excited to not have to go to the bookstore and I do not have store books when they are done. I do find that I forget books after a couple years and with the Kindle I can just pull them up later on to reread.

My advice... check every few days and download some free ones. Some aren't free for long and they do turn out to be very good.

Posted on Jan 17, 2011 4:15:46 PM PST
Sorry, but I will never pay $10 for an e-book. Outrageous.

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 9:44:40 PM PST
Mama Ann says:
I think that the Kindle is a wonderful invention, but I will never buy one because of the price of downloaded books.

Has everyone heard of the website "camelcamelcamel.com"? It's a site that tracks the prices of items sold on Amazon, whether new or used, and if you sign up for it, the site will keep track of things you are interested in and will notify you when the price goes down. It's amazing and costs you nothing. Check it out!

Posted on Jan 18, 2011 10:59:23 PM PST
It is another signal for these publishing companies. Frankly speaking in another few years, they would go the route of music companies. People would cut the middle man. In this digital age, one has to wonder why they would exist and for what purpose. Authors would be able to reach readers through digital marketplaces
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  32
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Happy Ever After (Bride Quartet, Book 4)
Happy Ever After (Bride Quartet, Book 4) by Nora Roberts (Paperback - November 2, 2010)
4.3 out of 5 stars   (508)