Kindle Edition only has 41 pages?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2012 9:49:33 PM PDT
grindmonkey says:
Uhh, does anyone else have this issue? Pagination stops at page 41, and then every subsequent page is also page 41? It is like this on both my iPad and iPhone. This is a serious flaw, and really makes me wish I had purchased a hard copy instead. What a terrible way to tout ebooks!

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 6:28:38 AM PDT
I do. Well, did. First, I tried deleting the book from my Kindle then redownloading, but to no avail. So I reached out to Customer Service yesterday, notifying them of the issue (I could hardly have been the first, or so I thought). I awoke today to two emails saying they're refunding me and pulling the title from, both, my Kindle Archive and the Kindle Store until the problem has been solved. I was 35% through the book and am sure I lost all of my notes and highlights, but I won't get ahead of myself until I hear back from them. I'll write again if they update me on the page number problem.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 8:07:12 AM PDT
Just heard back from Customer Service. They've confirmed the page numbering issue with the publisher but were unable to lock-down a date when an ammended version would be available.

This won't tarnish my opinion of Kindle products, or ebooks in general, but it is annoying. If you ask me, there is just as much risk, here, as with physical products (cd's that skip, pages creased, etc).

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 3:16:25 PM PDT
mmm says:
I have the same issue... very annoying as the sync between my kindle and my android app would not work all the time. It tells me that I am already at the furthest page read.

Posted on May 5, 2012 6:43:53 PM PDT
A. Agrawal says:
I downloaded the book today and the issue still exists. Agreed that it is quite annoying!

Posted on May 6, 2012 5:33:30 PM PDT
LilPoet says:
I too had the same issue with the pagination stopping at page 41 on the Kindle version. I called customer service (twice) and spoke to someone who could barely speak English. Super bummed, as I would like to know what page I am on beyond page 41. So I requested a return and refund. I was leery about getting it on Kindle since the first one had so many editing flaws. Lesson learned. I guess I will get the real book.

Posted on May 7, 2012 6:14:54 AM PDT
J. Sossamon says:
having the same issue. would love for this to be addressed.

Posted on May 14, 2012 5:21:34 AM PDT
Dale says:
I have the same problem with the page numbers but bypass the issue by ignoring page numbers and using location numbers instead. I just wish that the start of every paragraph would also start a new location number.

Posted on May 16, 2012 5:35:56 AM PDT
J. Sossamon says:
So I synced my Kindle last night and it appears that this problem has been rectified. Page numbers are now working and accurate.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 8:30:07 AM PDT
I just checked out my version and I do see page numbers now. Great news, thanks for pointing that out.

Posted on May 26, 2012 4:43:29 PM PDT
K.S says:
This happened to me too! I bought Clash of Kings the other night so that when I was done with Game of Thrones, I could read it. I tried restarting and starting my Kindle, but the book wouldn't go past page 41! I know it's probably silly since everything else seemed to work fine, but I just like seeing everything nice and in order. I asked for a refund and it should be coming in a couple days. So maybe once that's through, I'll order it again and try syncing it...

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 6:53:12 AM PDT
T. Chin says:
a lot people complained about the editing in games of thrones? besides this issue which seems to have been rectified, any other issues? thanks!

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:03:13 PM PDT
drgnlady says:
I didn't see this forum until today. There's still some issues with the page numbers. Every time I went back to look at previous passages that I had highlighted and wanted to sync to the furthest page read, no matter how far I read , it would only state that I am at the furthest page read, i.e. 41. No matter if page 41 corresponded to chapter 3, 10 or what-have-you, I could not read the actual furthest page read. I e-mailed Customer Service. They offered me a refund and removed the eBook from my Kindle. ARGH! I had read 57% of the book and wanted to continue reading. I didn't want to get a refund, I just wanted them to fix the problem.
Maybe if I download the book from Barnes and Nobles, it might be different. The only problem, all the Notes and Highlights I made are all gone.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 1:35:14 PM PDT
SpatialPoet says:
Yeah, I just downloaded this a few minutes ago, and I still have only 41 pages. Whatever, right? Keep reading...

Posted on Jul 16, 2012 5:10:28 PM PDT
Liz says:
Yep same problem here, downloaded it a few days ago. Irritating that they've known about the problem so long and still done nothing about it, but if reporting it only gets your book removed and a refund I definitely won't be contacting customer service.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 5:24:58 PM PDT
LilPoet says:
I finally got a version that is correct. Seems to be hit and miss for some reason.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 9:24:17 PM PDT
LZ says:
Same here: page 41 throughout. Book is also not searchable. Have tried multiple times to delete/reboot/redownload/sync, etc., but same issues.

I did a notify-of-format error a few weeks ago and never heard back from customer service. I just wrote them again, this time through the orders help. Sure hope they don't decide to up and delete it from my Kindle, as Paul Rous above, experienced--as disappointing as the format is, I'm still devouring it, and I'd hate to lose my highlights!

Interesting to read that this is sometimes a problem, and sometimes "magically" resolves.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 8:32:11 PM PDT
LZ says:
Got phone support on this. While I had deleted/rebooted/redownloaded several times to no avail, THEY were able to send me the book again (w/o my deleting it again)--and it works!

I recommend calling them re this. E-mail support was no help.

Posted on Jul 25, 2012 7:42:43 PM PDT
John N. says:
I just ordered and then returned the Kindle "Clash of Kings" because the formatting was very poor--spaces skipped between each paragraph--very amateurish-looking. Are others' versions like this? with spaces between each paragraph? My "Game of Thrones" was fine--flawless, actually. Now I wish I'd ordered the 4-volume version...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Apr 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Clash of Kings Book Two of A Song of Ice and Fire
A Clash of Kings Book Two of A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - 1998)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (3,056)