13,200 Reviews
 (8,267)
 (2,494)
 (1,161)

14,570 of 14,914 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Apri 28th update - Good upgrade from last year model-Beautiful Display, Great Device-Fell short on battery life
Update on Dec 23 2013 - Please scroll to the very end of this review for 2 month use update. [...]

For those who are looking at getting the best tablet out there at the moment, this is the one you should be looking at.

My profile: Heavy tablet users for personal and business purposes. I work on my tablet around 4-5 hours a day (Email / Documents /...
Published 10 months ago by Amazon Reviewer

1,001 of 1,118 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Blue/purple border on white pages!
I purchased my Kindle Fire HDX from Best Buy. After trying to read a book, I noticed a pretty bright blue/purple streak that never went away on the sides of the pages. Going into Sepia and changing the background pages did not help this issue. I called Amazon and they replaced it with a new one. The new one has the same blue/purple border on white and light background...
Published 10 months ago by LindaFus

‹ Previous | 141 42 431320 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Nexus 7 generation 1, December 2, 2013
T. Harris "Lady T" (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
My Nexus had slowed to a crawl and reseting it only helped for a short period of time so I order the Kindle Fire HDX. It says 7", but it is noticeably smaller than my Nexus 7 but the screen has the same amount of viewable area as my Nexus. I'm not sure why the photo shows such wide black borders around the screen. The borders appear to half as wide as pictured.

Pros:
High Def screen is wonderful for viewing movies
Kindle reading experience is much better on the a Kindle than the app - note taking, borrowing prime books for free directly on the device, newspapers have more images (at least that was the case with the Chicago Tribune)
Smaller than the 7" Nexus with the same size screen which makes it easy to take everywhere
Many of my favorite apps are available in the app store
Some music downloads include lyrics

Cons:
A single page home page that fills quickly with apps
You can't access the Google Play app store
Gmail and Google calendar are not supported
The YouTube app is also NOT supported
Google+ app is also not supported

Overall, I would recommend this device but you should check to see which of your must have apps are supported. All of my deal breakers were available in the Amazon app store so I'm going to keep it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Kindle Fire HDX!, November 30, 2013
I love the Kindle Fire HDX! It does everything I want from a tablet, and probably a whole lot more than I need it to do. :)

I had a Nexus 7 1st generation tablet. I have since given it to my husband, because the Kindle does everything I want, so I have no need for the Nexus anymore. It is very fast, and the picture resolution is amazing! The speakers are much better that what I've had on other tablets. I always had to use an external speaker with the Nexus, but I have no need for one with the Kindle.

I would definitely recommend the Kindle Fire HDX to anyone looking for a good multimedia device!

4.0 out of 5 stars Love my Fire HDX7, November 4, 2013
I've never had a Fire before but I do have the Paperwhite. The Fire HDX7 does everthing I want it to do. It is small and portable and handles the multimedia duties with ease. The only thing negative I have to say about it so far is that the bevel on the edge where the power cord goes makes the cord stick up awkwardly when it chages. I also wish the App Store was larger but it had everything I needed to start. I like using it and want more. The screen is really sharp and I easily stream ny Netflix and Prime Instant Videos. Obviously streaming does suck up battery life but I find the battery adequate for my needs so.far.

4.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!, October 31, 2013
The best just got better. I have the HD, but I really love the HDX. The speed is noticeably faster and smoother; great screen resolution, and nice and light. With the Invellop cover/case you can't go wrong, (it will turn the HDX on and off by opening and closing the case and fits on the HDX better than the HD version did). I do notice the blue light on the edges of white pages, but its totally not an issue at all. I love the smaller size, yet same size screen. With the case you really notice the difference between the HD and the HDX in its case, weight and size-wise. Also I really like the Mayday feature; within seconds I was talking to a live human who's fave popped up in a small Window on my screen. Very cool! !!!

I only have two gripes:

1) No microSD card slot. Still!!! That's a bummer. PRetty big bummer, but I guess Amazon wants you to store everything in their cloud, or something. I have the 32gb version and it's barely enough for me, personally. There's only something like 24gb (or is it 29gb?) left after the OS, and my music alone takes up 20gb.

2) No rear camera!! Still!!!

3) If you're not going to give us a real camera, I can kind of live with that - though it would be fun to have - but you could at least make the camera on there be sensitive to the fact that you'll be using it for some sort of face-to-face interaction, and we don't like having our nose look huge and our arms aren't long enough to hold the thing far enough away so it doesn't distort our features. All in all, the camera is pretty much completely useless.

CONCLUSION: Is it worth the upgrade cost? I, personally, think so. I love the smaller form factor without losing any screen size; I LOVE the new buttons for volume and power - so much better than the HD - and I love the weight difference and the speed difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best kindle ever !!, October 30, 2013
Alex M. Luna (Ridgewood, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This is so far the best kindle fire of the previous versions, a lot faster , lighter and the resolution is astonishing, you just cant go wrong with this product. Better alternative compared to the pricy ipad mini, and OS preference. Well done Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Purple Haze, October 25, 2013
The Kindle Fire HDX 7" in great. Don't worry about the purple haze that seems to be bothering a number of people. It
is hardly noticeable and should not bother you. I really have to look closely to even see it and it is only with a white background. I tried the mayday help feature just to check it out. I had someone ready to answer by questions in 10 seconds. Amazing. The picture quality? Fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!!!!!, October 24, 2013
Love my Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 64 GB. I received it on launch day and I can't put it down. This is an upgrade for me from the Original Fire. I also own the Original PW plus an iPhone, MacBook, and mini iPod. I thought long and hard about whether to buy an iPad mini and stick with the Apple ecosystem or get another Fire. I'm so glad I went with the Fire. The first thing that struck me was how light the new HDX is. I love the sleek look and the placement of the buttons. The HDX was incredibly easy to set-up. I also had no problem adding my FB photos to the cloud nor uploading my iTunes to the Cloud drive.

The screen is absolutely gorgeous. The color and clarity are amazing. I opened a magazine and could read it without expanding the text which I couldn't do with the original Fire. I also found the sound quality excellent. The browser is very fast. I've viewed videos and had no problem with dropped WiFi connections; this was a problem with the Original Fire.

While I still prefer my PW for reading, since the HDX is a new toy, I've been reading on it all week and found the reading experience enjoyable. In regard to the blue haze, I'm not sure I would have noticed it if I hadn't read about it. I can see it when I read an ebook and am looking for it. However, it doesn't bother me at all.

My husband, who has an iPad, is very impressed with my HDX. This is a great little tablet at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Happy Medium, October 24, 2013
Update 11/2/2013: My family has been thoroughly enjoying our Kindle Fire HDX. We set up Kindle FreeTime and it has been a huge hit with our 3 year old. We started a free trial of Kindle FreeTime Unlimited that gives her access to thousands of books, games, videos and songs. Some of these are junk, but many are items we have purchased for other devices in the past or were considering purchasing for the Kindle Fire. There are Boynton books, Ivy & Bean, episodes of Sesame Street, Dora and Mr. Rogers, as well as Cut the Rope, Monopoly, Life, Bejeweled 2 and other great games. You can find a list of what is available on Amazon.com (currently over 1500 items). While the videos are not a big draw if you subscribe to Prime, like we do, Prime members get a discount on the monthly subscription fee, currently $4.99 / child or $9.99 / family. Prime members only pay $2.99 / child or $6.99 / family. At $2.99 per month, I feel that Kindle FreeTime Unlimited is, by far, the best feature of the Kindle Fire HDX for us. If you are a Prime member with children under 10 years old, I would give my strongest recommendation to the Kindle Fire HDX.

The Kindle Fire HDX is a great tablet that balances form, function and price. There are some key differences that set this tablet apart from the iPad Mini 2 and the Nexus 7. The Nexus 7 has a slower processor. The iPad Mini 2 has a 7.9" screen with higher resolution but a much higher price. The Kindle Fire HDX has no rear camera and the screen has a bluish tint on the edges from the blue LED lighting, but neither bother me. The Kindle Fire HDX has the least apps available of the three, but all the android apps I like are available. On the plus side, the Kindle FIre HDX is very user friendly thanks to it's clear and smooth interface and mayday help feature. If you are an Amazon Prime member or purchase music, ebooks and videos from Amazon then the Kindle Fire HDX is a very seamless way to enjoy your content.

My setup consisted of pressing the power button, selecting my language and wifi access point, entering my wifi password and confirming my Amazon account. It took about 50 seconds. I was immediately impressed by the screen's resolution, vibrant, accurate colors and wide viewing angles. The screen automatically adjusts for ambient light, not just with changing brightness but also changing contrast. Speakers sound good for a tablet, but i wish they weren't rear-facing like every other tablet. The tablet is incredibly responsive; everything is instantaneous. Wifi is fast and gets good reception throughout my house without dropping the connection. The tablet isn't too heavy and feels comfortable thanks to the contoured back with good grip. I'm not really the kind of person to use the mayday feature, but I see it as being one of the biggest selling points. Overall, this is a great tablet with a seamlessly enjoyable user experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great media and reading device, October 23, 2013
After using an iPad received as a gift a few years ago, I was sold on a multi-use device...I gave my Nook Color to my father and hooked him on ereading! Then out came the iPad mini...just way too much for a perfect size. I literally carry my reader with me everywhere. So I began looking for a smaller device that was more economical. As I had hundreds of Kindle books versus Nook books, I chose the Kindle Fire HD. It works great and will be going to my daughter now...why did I get the new version? I liked that I could download from Amazon Prime...It is a little thinner and just a tad wider so it doesn't fit into a Kindle Fire HD case...odd...but that's okay.

I did not have any issues with booting it up and receiving my media onto the device. I didn't even notice the blue haze around the edges...had to look for it after reading the reviews...seriously, folks are upset about that? I have never used the Paperwhite version so perhaps if I had I might have noticed it more.

It is a little lighter in weight which is easier on my hands. Part of that I am sure is because the case is also slightly smaller.

My only complaint, such as it is, the same as many others, I would like to see Amazon integrate with Google Play more. There are some fun apps I would like to have, such as themes for my background. That is a minor concern, just one of those nice-to-have options. And...why can't we get Zynga game versions that will work so we can actually play the games and not just check up on them?

That's it from me...I love my Kindle and recommend it to everyone...even got my sister hooked on one too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Miracast/No Micro HDMI only thing keeping this from being 5 stars, October 22, 2013
Overall the hardware is better than my HD so I won't go into those details because everyone else has. Something not addressed is the lack of HDMI and the inclusion of Miracast.

I like it the HDX. What I don't like that there is no micro- HDMI so I took off 1 star for this. I really liked being able to plug into any screen to watch movies, etc. Now we have Miracast which is unproven and seemingly being forced on us by Amazon. There's not alot of options and if I want my TV's to work I need to buy at least 3 adapters.

My question is specific to the Miracast function. Has anyone used a dongle to use the Miracast function? If so what product did you use? Amazon support not to helpful as the Indian call center does not even know the differences between the HD and HDX. I finally got to speak to someone in the U.S. and they sent me to this page http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201370390 where they recommend the Netgear option.

Updated 10/25/13
I officially miss my micro HDMI. I set up the aforementioned NetGear which does what it says and was the recommended product by Amazon. Good (not excellent) overall picture quality when watching videos, but there is some lag especially when you have to transmit to the Netgear and download simultaneously. This may be better if you took 30 minutes to download a movie 1st, but i have yet to test this. This current hardware spec running through micro HDMI would have been outstanding in my opinion. Miracast is OK, and I'm sure future tech releases will solve latency issues. Final word as of now, is Amazon should have left the micro HDMI in addition to the new Miracast

Thanks in advance......