From the Author
You'll see how to quickly set up your Kindle, navigate the touchscreen, buy, rent or stream video, and browse the world's largest library of digital books.
About the author: Steve Weber is founding publisher of KindleBuffet.com, which showcases five-star Kindle books currently available free (you may never have to pay for books again!).
KINDLE FIRE OWNER'S MANUAL demystifies the Kindle and explains in plain English how to master the basics. And you'll see much more, including secret tips, tricks and shortcuts you won't find elsewhere. Each section includes clearly written step-by-step instructions, illustrated with screenshots and menus just like you'll see on your own Kindle:
-- Changing the settings
-- How to charge your Kindle battery and prolong its life
-- Enjoy an infinite supply of the best books, music and video from Amazon, iTunes or virtually any other source.
-- Using personal documents, including word processing files, PDFs, and spreadsheets. Chuck your laptop and PDA, and do it all with your handy Kindle!
-- The easy way to harvest your own content and get it onto your Kindle Fire, including gems you didn't buy at Amazon.
-- How to download apps and get the best free programs from Amazon's Android App Store or other sources.
-- How to download, organize and read your favorite books, magazines and newspapers on the Kindle Fire.
-- How to get current and archived editions of the world's most popular newspapers, magazines and websites streamed to your Kindle--updated constantly, with no fees whatsoever!
-- How to use Amazon's "Cloud" service for unlimited free storage of your digital content.
-- Purchase or rent movies and TV shows, and how to find a gold mine of free video.
-- Find and use popular apps and video games on the Kindle Fire.
-- Learn to find the best free content in the world, downloadable to your Kindle. (You might never have to pay for books, movies or music again--ever!)
-- Using Amazon Prime to stream movies using your home's Internet service.
-- Use your Kindle to send and receive email from Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail, and virtually any other service.
-- Surf the Web at daredevil speeds using Kindle's built-in Silk Web browser.
-- Show off your own photos and videos on your Kindle, no matter which camera you used.
1 ► FAST START GUIDE TO KINDLE FIRE
Firing Up Your Kindle for the First Time
Turning the Device On/Off
How to navigate the touch-screen
Registering/Setting Up the Device
Battery charging life
Navigating the Carousel interface
Finding Kindle libraries (Books, Videos, etc.)
Briefly: Free as a bird
Briefly: What the heck is 'Whispernet?'
Briefly: Urgent business opportunities in Nigeria
Clearing Your Browser History
The Status Bar and Option Bar
Using a Mini-USB Connection to Transfer Content
2 ► SETTINGS
Guide to Quick Settings
Viewing Your Amazon Account on the Kindle
From the Back Cover
- Firing Up Your Kindle for the First Time
- Turning the Device On/Off
- How to navigate the touch-screen
- Registering/Setting Up the Device
- Battery charging life
- Navigating the Carousel interface
- Finding Kindle libraries (Books, Videos, etc.)
- Books library
- Briefly: Free as a bird
- Music library
- Briefly: What the heck is 'Whispernet?'
- Video library
- Documents Library
- Briefly: Urgent business opportunities in Nigeria
- Apps Library
- Clearing Your Browser History
- Designating Favorites
- The Status Bar and Option Bar
- Using a Mini-USB Connection to Transfer Content
- Guide to Quick Settings
- Viewing Your Amazon Account on the Kindle
- How to Control Sounds
- Adjusting Fonts and Other Appearance-Related Items
- Fonts, Typeface and Other EBook Settings:
- Setting up Wi-Fi
- Public Wi-Fi
- Connecting with Wi-Fi
- Using the Keyboard
- Accessing the Keyboard
- Keyboard Layouts
- Searching for Content on the Newsstand
- Browsing and buying books
- Kindle Buffet: Free books, all you can eat!
- Browsing and Buying Music
- Browsing and Buying Video
- Briefly: Two ways of buying streaming video
- Searching for and Downloading Apps
- Briefly: Know your Android
- Installing an App
- How Many Apps Can You Have?
- Removing Apps
- To Permanently Delete an App
- In-App Items
- Navigating the Web with the Silk Browser
- Zoom In or Out
- Reading View
- Bookmarking Web Pages
- Searching the Web
- Searching from the URL Bar
- Browser Options/Settings
- Privacy Settings/Options
- Privacy and the Cloud
- Turning Off the Cloud
- Viewing email on your Kindle Fire
- Using Kindle's Personal Documents Service
- Briefly: Keeping a lid on @Kindle
- Converting documents.
- Using the 'Send-to-Kindle' application on your computer
- Using the Books 'Library'
- Borrowing Kindle books from a library.
- Navigating books and documents
- Searching within books
- Bookmarking and highlighting
- Using Kindle's New American Oxford Dictionary
- Loading music from your computer
- Navigating the music library
- Searching for Music
- Uploading audio files to Cloud
- Playing songs
- Internal and External Speakers
- Sound quality
- Creating playlists
- Creating your List
- Editing the list
- Controlling Videos
- Streaming video versus downloading video
- Streaming from YouTube and other sites
- Navigating the Video Library
- Where are my home videos?
- Transferring photos to Kindle
- Viewing photos
- Viewing photos, working with tools
- Transferring home videos and viewing on Kindl
- Apps for Fun
- XiiaLive Lite
- Go Launcher EX
- Angry Birds
- Kaspersky Tablet Security
- Wi-Fi Analyzer Free
- Office Calculator Free
- Managing apps
- Free your Kindle
- Using Calibre with the Kindle Fire EBook Reader
- All the news you can eat, and Calibre picks up the check
- eBooks, Calibre, and the Kindle
- Briefly: For the love of Calibre
- Let's go shopping!
- Briefly: The Pirate Code
- Exploring Calibre Further
- The basics
- Pouches, Envelopes and Sleeves
- Speakers and headphones
- Ear Buds
- Recognizing illegal content
- Movies currently in theaters
- Current books offered as free PDF downloads