Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 24, 2013
I really love my Kindle simply because I enjoy reading and the Kindle makes it so enjoyable. The fact that II can carry with me multiple books and choose any of them I want to read at any time has been great. I like the font adjustment which allows my eyes to adjust in fairly dim light. I like the price of my Kindle in comparison to other e-readers and appreciate the assistance Amazon has given me when I have had problems or technical questions. Once I installed a Wi-Fi hookup it has been a breeze getting the books I want to read.
on July 17, 2014
I love my Kindle Fire but for summer, outdoor reading the Kindle Ink display is perfect. It doesn't weigh enough to be noticed in my purse and it's very easy to transfer books from one device to the other. (Just go to archived items and select what you want to read). The advertisements don't bother me at all as they are only screensavers and occasionally it's something I'm interested in anyway.
on December 13, 2013
I got an offer that i could get a kindle for 40$ off and i chose this one. So far i am very pleased with it, its light weight easy to read but doesnt have any bells or whistles but thats ok cause this is my first tablet. I only wish it came with instrutions.....
on January 3, 2014
If all you want to do is read books quickly, then this is for you. Amazon sent me a discount coupon so I got it for an unbelievable price - just $30. But it is well worth even the regular price for a middle aged user like myself who can do without all the bells and whistles.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2016
This is my second purchase of one of these. My first I purchased for my wife, who later upgraded to a paperwhite. I inherited that original one and it worked well for the last 5+ years until I placed it in my back pocket and fell on a rock. My rear is fine, saved by the Kindle, however the screen got cracked. I knew immediately that would buy another. This time with a case.
on October 25, 2012
I broke my Kindle Keyboard last Sunday. It was my constant companion and friend. So I ordered the plain Kindle on Amazon. It got here very fast, but I am so disappointed in it. The Keyboard was at least somewhat intuitive. This Kindle is a pain to use. The keyboard is a terrible interface, cumbersome even. You have to "type" by selecting letters with the 5-way button. It takes forever. Also, not all my apps transferred to the new Kindle, most notably my contacts list-the app won't run, all contact info lost. Also, the Kindle itself is slick, and there's not much to hold on to. I also cannot get the pages to format like they did on Keyboard. But it's a nice looking unit. I think I'll run over to Target and get an new old stock Kindle Keyboard and use this Kindle for a coaster.
44 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2013
I have a strenuous habit of reading books whilst laying on my bed, and dangling really heavy 1500 page tomes above my head. It's MURDER on the arms. I can not believe how versatile and powerful this little Kindle is - and light. Not only am I going to save money on purchases, but the books will get to me in seconds instead of weeks!

I still love my hard copy books, but there are some which I can take or leave - and Kindle will give me that option. This is one of the most liberating pieces of technology that has ever fed my reading habit; at this point in time I simply have to resist going on a massive shopping spree!

A very classy product!
on June 13, 2014
I love to read!!! It's that simple. My home is stuffed with paperback and hard copies of books I've collected and read throughout the years. Now I have something that allows me to store my reading material without looking like a hoarder. I love my Kindle.
on October 15, 2012
I have to say this is a great e-reader and I can easily see it replacing my kindle fire, ipad and Samsung Galaxy s3 as my primary reading device (yes I read on all the others). Here are my likes and dislikes....

Likes:
1) Size-This thing is perfectly sized to fit my hand. The grip sits where my hand is always cupping the bottom of the device and my fingers are in perfect position of the page turn buttons. This thing is also insanely light. I hated bringing my kindle fire with me to appointments, etc. because it was so heavy and bulky. This one I put in my purse and you can't even tell that it's there.
2) Page Turn Buttons- I've been a fan of touch screen technology for many years and was wary that I'd dislike this kindle because it wasn't touch. Well, I actually like it better not being a touch screen. I don't accidentally flip forward pages like I did with the kindle fire/iPad and when my son grabs it from me, no matter how much he touches the screen (he's also accustomed to touch screen) my page never changes which I have found to be amazing
3) Battery life- I've read 2 full books (total of about 900 pages) and the battery doesn't even look like it's 15% used. If I had to break that down in hours, I'd probably say roughly 5 or 6 hours on that 15%. That to me is amazing because with the kindle fire I was having to plug it in every night after reading for 4 or 5 hours because it would be well past half used up. I'd estimate this thing to easily give me 30+ hours of reading time or about 5 average length books if you think better in those terms. NOTE-This is with the wifi off (or airplane mode on). Also I'm basing this on having a full battery to start and downloading about 25 of my archived books onto my device before turning wifi off.
4) Storage Capacity- I'm adding this as a plus because with amazon cloud giving an indefinite amount of space to store your books, I don't see how 2gb of space for roughly 1000 books on the device is a bad thing. I've been reading off the kindle app for about 5 years and I don't even think I have 150 books, so I think I'll be safe.
5) Quality- I can not believe how much a backlit screen has been ruining my reading all these years! My eyes always hurt after reading, but with this kindle and the e-ink technology, no eye strain. I love that the screen looks like an actual page of a book. It really is incredible.
6) You can read in the sun!!!!!! I LOVE THAT! Because this baby is not backlit you can read out in direct sunlight.

Dislikes:
1) Ghosting- While I read this to be a common "occurance" on the kindles in general due to the way the e-ink technology works, it took a bit to get used to. Ghosting is where you can see the hint of the page you were just on or the next page show up on the current page. I've found though it tends to only happen on the first few pages of waking up and is totally unnoticeable now, so it's not really a problem, more of an I wish someone would have prepped me for it.
2) The keyboard- Obviously to make this perfect for hand holding, you don't get a keyboard. Using the buttons for that is a bit of a pain, but I actually buy all my books online and send to my device so it's not an issue. Just something to note if you plan on searching for books, etc. from the kindle that you will have to learn to use the keyboard. (This was the only feature where I missed touchscreen).
3) Internet- Don't even bother with this if you have a computer, smart phone, etc. You won't get much and honestly I don't see the purpose in it. I didn't buy this device to use the internet, so it's a non-issue for me, but something you might want to consider if you plan to ever use it.

Neutral
1) Having to use a special lighted cover/light at night- I consider this neutral territory, but feel people should make their own call. I personally read in a lighted area almost all the time, so this is almost of no importance to me. However in dimmer light it is harder to read the kindle. If you read regularly in the dark, then I'd recommend either the paperwhite version of the kindle or the lighted cover (which run for almost the same price as the kindle itself!). For me, I have a kindle fire as well which is backlit, so I just switch to reading on that if I want to read at night or in the dark. So no biggie. I have friends who have bought reading lights from the dollar store that they say work perfect on the kindle, so this isn't necessarily a reason to not buy this little guy.

Overall- if you want a device to READ, then this is your device! After years using the iPad and recently the kindle fire, I can't believe I didn't buy an actual original kindle sooner. I'm actually kicking myself for my husband buying me a kindle fire for my birthday since this one has already replaced it for reading. (Please note, I think the kindle fire is also a great product in it's own right as a tablet, but not my favorite e-reader anymore).
on October 31, 2014
This product was recommended by a friend who was pleased with the customer service she received from Amazon / Kindle. I loved the product - when it would charge. My Kindle stopped charging and I called Amazon (I have the charger from Kindle). Via computer the representative was able to get the Kindle to charge. Within a period of time the Kindle once again stopped charging. Again I called Amazon and I was told the item was no longer under warranty since it was purchased over a year ago. I explained the problem had begun before the year end of the warranty. After being put on hold for a period of time the representative said a new Kindle would be sent. About 2 weeks later it had not arrived so I again called Amazon and was told that a new Kindle would be sent (2-day delivery) and should arrive at the beginning of the week. It is now Friday and I still have not received the Kindle. I had a wonderful relationship with Amazon until the purchase of this Kindle. I am so disappointed.