1,685 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed cover
Published on September 2, 2010 by Marilee

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, but it caused problems with my Kindle
Published on January 17, 2011 by PolarJo

1.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, but it caused problems with my Kindle, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Green (Fits Kindle Keyboard) (Accessory)
I bought my Kindle with this cover right around Thanksgiving and was absolutely thrilled with both. The cover was stylish and the integrated light was so convenient. I'd been using my Kindle on pretty much a daily basis for the last 6 weeks. But last night my Kindle suddenly stopped responding. I tried turning it off and on several times but when I turned it back on the screen was always blank. This morning I phoned support and the tech was able to walk me through the procedure to reset my Kindle. The Kindle device appears to be working correctly again. However, the tech told me IT WAS THE COVER THAT CAUSED THE PROBLEM with my Kindle and I should stop using it. He credited my account for the cost of the cover and said I could use that money to buy a new cover but I should NOT buy this same style or I would very likely encounter the freeze up issue again. Apparently the fact that this cover can cause problems with the Kindle is a known issue, so I do not understand why this cover is still for sale by Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully designed cover, September 2, 2010
Marilee (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
I was very pleasantly surprised when I opened the package and inspected this cover for the first time. It's a perfect fit for the Kindle 3, light yet substantial enough, easy to fold back for reading, and just covers the corners on the Kindle, for protection, without any extra wasted space. The elastic cord has a nice little name tag for ease of wrapping, as well as a grove to fit it.

But the really amazing thing is the built in light. It's small and unobtrusive when in it's slot... you only see a dark corner and a little ridge, as nothing protrudes or looks bulky ... but when you grasp the ridge and pull out, a super thin light emerges, which bends a bit to just the right length and angle, automatically illuminating the K3 screen. This is just genius design. And to think.. it needs no battery, no cord, no storage pouch or pocket. It gets it's power from the K3's charge. It's easy to push back in, where it waits quietly for a chance to shine again.

I found the little gold tabs that fit in the K3 easy to insert and just as easy to remove if you want the K3 to go "naked" or in another cover... yet the cover holds on securely.

I love well designed, beautiful objects and this qualifies without compromise.

1.0 out of 5 stars Killed my Kindle!, February 16, 2011
I just am writing this to warn others of this cover, it completely killed my Kindle and almost killed another one!

The hinges on the cover mess with the battery or something, and every time I would put the cover on the Kindle would freeze and short out, until it finally just stopped working. I had the Kindle replaced, and the cover did the same thing to my 2nd one. Finally talked to Amazon and found out it was the cover.

I do NOT recommend this at all, get a cover with no hinges!

3.0 out of 5 stars Attachment Mechanism Insecure, November 24, 2010
I have had my kindle cover a short time and already the bottom "hook" that attaches the kindle to the cover is loose and slipping. Yesterday the kindle fell out of the cover completely. Overall the product is solid and good quality, but the "hook" mechanism is shabby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product- Don't be swayed by any bad reviews, October 29, 2010
This product is fantastic, and buyers should not be swayed by any poor reviews as I almost was.

Cover: The actual cover is very high quality. I purchased the green, and it is very attractive, not too bright. The cover is lined with soft, fuzzy material, which protects the screen from scratches. I have no complaints about the cover.

Leather Tab: Some reviewers mentioned the one-inch leather tab that has "Amazon" printed on it. They thought it was in their way, but I did not find that to be true AT ALL. The tab is for convenience. It enables the reader to quickly and easily grab the elastic cord that holds the cover closed or back. Once you open the cover, it is behind and not in the way at all. I think those reviewers are being much to picky.

Light: This is the main issue that almost kept me from buying this product. I am THANKFUL that I decided to buy it anyway because the light is NOT A PROBLEM at all. It is a light, so of course, it will be brighter nearer to the bulb. However, since it contains an LED bulb, it is bright enough on the entire screen even in the corner furthest away from the bulb despite what other reviewers have said. This light is actually perfect for me for several reasons. First, I no longer need to carry around my Itty Bitty Book Light (I have both the plug-in version and the battery pack version.) because the light is conveniently in the cover. If the light is put away you don't even see it or notice it. It is completely hidden and out of the way. I also love the light because it never needs charged, which is great for me because I constantly forget to charge all of my devices, because Amazon has thought to make it run off the Kindle's power. I used my Kindle for 3 weeks without recharging, and I run the light for hours each day (I just had another baby and am up hours a night feeding the baby, so I read to keep myself awake during the night feedings.) Therefore, I would say that using the light DOES NOT DRAIN THE POWER OF THE KINDLE. Thirdly, I love the light, because I can lie on my side in bed reading without any cords, or light in the way like my traditional book light on a book.

In conclusion, don't worry about any negative reviews. Try this product. It is worth the money because of the good quality and great design. It isn't much more for the light, and you will find it to be useful and a great benefit.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT! My husband has the older kindle and is very jealous of this cover!, December 23, 2010
I absolutely LOVE the lighted cover for my kindle! It is so very much better than any of the clip on lights that are out there.

When I first bought the latest generation kindle I was attracted to the cover but some of the reviews indicating that the cover makes it heavier and decreases the battery life made me nervous (esp. about battery life, having been a former Nook user which sucks up battery life and requires recharge every couple of days). However, I haven't found this to be an issue at all.

My husband has the older generation kindle with a very light weight cover. Yes, it is lighter than my newer kindle in it's lighted cover. However, the amount of weight it adds is so minuscule - I've read magazines that weigh more than my kindle in it's lighted cover. My husband is incredibly jealous of the lighted cover as they don't make them for the older kindles.

The convenience of having a light that just pops up out of the cover is wonderful! Previous to my kindle I went through so many clip on lights with my nook and they all have issues. This light compared to all the clip on's is great. It doesn't shine in your eyes, it doesn't reflect off the page, it lights up 97% of the page quite well (the bottom left corner is a bit dimmer and my only complaint, but it's still better than clip-on lights).

All-in-all, this cover is attractive, easy to use, super convenient with the built in light and I love it! An absolute MUST HAVE accessory for your kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Complains About Light are Just Nitpicking, December 20, 2010
I bought this cover concerned about the uneven lighting that I read about on a lot of the reviews. For those of you debating about using a separate book light or purchasing this cover, this light is fantastic. Yes, if you look very closely the top right corner is *slightly* brighter than the bottom left corner, but this is just nitpicking at a fantastic cover. You can clearly see the entire page and the location of the light in the corner and out of the way is great. I cannot imagine clipping a book light onto a cover instead. While the light is bright, it is not so bright that it blinds you in the dark.

As far as the other aspects go, the clips are a little difficult to get on, but once the kindle is attached, it feels very secure. The weight of the cover does double the weight of the kindle, but it doesn't bother me because opening the cover allows me to hold it with two hands, which feels more like a real book. If you prefer holding it with one hand, the elastic goes around the back so the cover doesn't flop around while you're reading. For me, even though the kindle is very light, holding it with one hand even without the cover got a little uncomfortable after a while, so I love that I can hold it like a paperback.

Basically, like everything else, it is about personal preference, but if you are hesitant about purchasing this cover because of the uneven lighting, fear not. The light is wonderful and you can absolutely see the entire kindle very clearly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good product but way overpriced imo, December 5, 2010
this product works great and does everything as expected but it cost almost half as much as the kindle. That seems a bit ridiculous to me

5.0 out of 5 stars Girlfriend loves it!, September 24, 2010
I purchased this as a gift for my girlfriend for her birthday and she absolutely loves it! Very classy, real leather, durable, and despite what other people are saying, really not heavy at all. The new 3G kindle with this cover weighs just UNDER a pound. My girlfriend is not a big girl by any means and she has no problem reading and has not complained once. If your arm is getting tired from reading with this cover on, then maybe you need to stop reading and go to the gym, honestly. Any other cover, with a seperate booklight, is going to weigh more than this.

Also, for the booklight, some people must honestly just look for things to complain about, or are using their car headlights as a booklight, because this thing works JUST FINE. Some people were complaining how the bottom left of the "page" is not lit enough... well I can say with ease (as well as her) that it lights the entire page fine. Sure, the top near where the light is is a bit more lit than the corner further from it, but no one should have any problem reading ANYWHERE on the page.

So yes, this is a great kindle cover, and unless you know you are just one of the pickiest, hardest to please people, then I would not take any second thought on picking it up.

4.0 out of 5 stars What I Expected. And Will Work Fine., August 30, 2010
Pros:
1. The color, while a tad (just a tad, mind you) darker than pictured, is perfect. I didn't want neon. I didn't want olive. What I wanted was what I received.
2. The materials used? Perfect. A well put-together item, and materials seem of decent quality.
3. Weight... not too heavy, though I have yet to use my Kindle with it because, well, my Kindle isn't here yet. I'm still pretty sure it won't be heavy. If you've ever read a larger paperback or smaller hardback book, you'll be fine. Your wrist wont' break.
4. The light? Nice! Smaller and lighter than I expected, but I'm sure it will work fine (again, no Kindle to test it with yet). It beats having a separate accessory to lug around.

Cons:
1. The elastic strap... I'm afraid it might not last a long time. For the price paid, I'd rather have had a magnetic closure or an actual "snap" on the front.
2. While there are metal clips that attach to the actual Kindle, there are not any "corner" holders. Not a huge deal, and I'm fully aware they weren't part of the deal due to the pictures provided, but most other manufacturers of Kindle covers provide some type of additional support.

All in all, I'm rather happy with the purchase.

Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Green (Fits Kindle Keyboard)
Used & New from: $79.95