Customer Discussions > The New Yorker forum

Kindle New Yorker is DOUBLING in price

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2011 5:57:09 PM PST
M. McEwen says:
"Hello,

Because you are a subscriber to the Kindle edition of The New Yorker, we would like to inform you of a price change. Effective December 16, 2011, the price of the Kindle edition of The New Yorker has changed to $5.99/month for new subscribers.

As an existing subscriber to The New Yorker you will continue to be billed at the previous rate of $2.99/month until June 16, 2012, after which you will be billed at the new rate of $5.99/month. On or before that date, your Amazon account will be enabled to receive access to The New Yorker on other platforms for as long as you remain an active subscriber to the Kindle edition. This includes access to The New Yorker app on Kindle Fire and other tablets and also unrestricted Web access at newyorker.com, which includes the magazine's complete archive back to 1925.

You are free to cancel your subscription at any time. If you are still in the free trial period of your subscription you will not be charged, otherwise you will receive a prorated refund for the unused portion of your subscription. To change or cancel a subscription, please visit http://www.amazon.com/manageyourkindlesubscriptions.

Best regards,
The Amazon Kindle Team"

I'm sorry, but I have like a zillion web subscriptions to all kinds of services, and I'm never seen anything like this. It makes the New York Times and Netflix subscription changes seem nice. I'll be canceling.

Posted on Dec 16, 2011 6:04:59 PM PST
T. Cramm says:
This is a money grab, plain and simple. There's no reason an electronic subscription should be more expensive than the print one, and to double the price is just crazy. Netflix was the first thing I thought of as well.

I'll stay on as long as I keep getting it for $2.99, but after that, I'm out. Maybe they'll have come to their senses by that time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2011 3:27:08 AM PST
Spiff says:
I agree: it's outrageous. That first $6 charge will be the day I cancel also. Reminds me of when the banks tried to charge fees for using their own ATMs instead of their human tellers. I think this is going to work out for TNY just about as well as that worked out for the banks. I do wonder though, whether digital subscriptions might at some point cut into the economies of scale on their print edition. Could it be they're hoping digital subscriptions will subsidize the increasing expense of producing and distributing the print edition to an ever-dwindling subscriber base? Or are they just greedy idiots?

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 5:38:03 AM PST
M. McEwen says:
For me it's exactly the push I needed to order the print version, which is more enjoyable anyway as it has color pictures, can be shared with friends, and now costs pretty much the same.

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 7:29:43 AM PST
Elliot says:
This was my response to the notice from Amazon on the price increase:

"100% increase in price for electronically distributed content--you've got to be kidding. I will very likely cancel my subscription once the price goes up in June.

I've always appreciated the fairness and sensitivity you've shown your consumers, including me, but you are playing with fire if this is part of your strategy going forward. People are cool to "reasonable' increases in costs but will become increasingly disenfranchised with Amazon (not necessarily the content provider or product supplier) with this kind of activity.

Signed,
Experienced brand marketer, strategist, and consultant"

Posted on Dec 17, 2011 4:05:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2011 4:06:29 PM PST
J T says:
I'm disappointed. I found that I usually read about three articles on average from each of the recent issues, long or short. But it's OK with me to pay about 69c per week to support the magazine. Now they want to double that, they'll get zero instead -- No digital version or print version after June 2012.

Posted on Feb 9, 2012 3:58:55 PM PST
E. Johnson says:
I was ready to subscribe but after reading about the price, have decided not to. There is no justification for the digital version of the magazine being this expensive.

Posted on Mar 22, 2012 11:27:57 AM PDT
i have to say, as an owner of multiple ipads AND kindles and computers, that I'm okay with this price doubling, because it addresses the one aspect of a Kindle New Yorker subscription that was lacking, IMO - the lack of access to the complete archives. The fact that I'll be able to read the iPad edition *and* the kindle edition from one subscription from all my devices is worth the extra $36 a year. I look at it like this: I can subscribe to the iPad edition and only read on the iPad, or continue to subscribe to the kindle edition and read on all of my devices. The choice is obvious, and not worth complaining over.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 2:32:56 PM PDT
I just had a 32 minute conversation with Amazon, to find out whether they were going to keep the promise
"On or before that date, your Amazon account will be enabled to receive access to The New Yorker on other platforms for as long as you remain an active subscriber to the Kindle edition. This includes access to The New Yorker app on Kindle Fire and other tablets and also unrestricted Web access at newyorker.com, which includes the magazine's complete archive back to 1925."
Turns out - NO! It's only available for the Kindle Fire! It's so sad. I feel like I lost a friend. I'm going to have to unsubscribe until they figure this out. My price increase happens this weekend apparently. So so sad. I'll continue from here with the print edition which allows iPad, and Web access at a reasonable fee. I'm still hoping that the CS people I spoke to were wrong.....

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 2:30:08 PM PDT
Good news! I just got a call from customer service (followed by an email) saying that the service WILL be available for non "Fire" users as well. They seem to be just delayed in their upgrade and some of their reps were unaware. I'm so glad they called to let me know.

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 12:49:20 PM PDT
CF says:
Too bad about the price increase! But I have a slightly different perspective on it:
I have been a subscriber to the print edition for about 15 years, and it has always been about $55-60 a year. I got a renewal invoice last month - $84.99. ?? I understand that everything costs more but that came as a big surprise. The Kindle edition is still only $72 so I am saving myself about $1 a month to drop print and come to Kindle, and I don't have the big pile of magazines on my table.

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 9:41:50 PM PDT
E. Hagen says:
Please correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that I cannot use this subscription on any additional mobile device. i now pay double for absolutely no upgraded services. No ipad, no phone, nothing. No android. This is the outcome of my half hour chat with customer service. This is after amazon emailed me apologizing back in June and declaring they would not raise my price until they could show these benefits.

What the f#%^*?!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2012 4:18:28 AM PDT
Agreed. You are not wrong. I had the same experience.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 3:14:57 AM PDT
Do you have any news about the new subscription model?

Posted on Sep 14, 2012 4:44:43 AM PDT
As a print subscriber I get the digital edition for free on my ipad. Why should I pay for it on a kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2013 12:15:57 PM PST
sageReader says:
and I'm not interested in subscribing at this price.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:12:32 AM PST
A. Kalra says:
i subscribe on my kindle for $5.99 a month after many months of waiting (at least six since amazon first hiked the price saying they would enable us for ALL ACCESS), I was finally sent an email and given ALL ACCESS to the new yorker digital collection (website, iPad, iPhone, etc.) including the access I continue to have on my Kindle. $5.99 is a bit steep but I love this magazine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 9:58:54 AM PST
S. Dakin says:
The print edition price was raised from $39 to $69 just a couple years ago. The current price is still $69, but they "plan" to increase it, and so are invoicing automatic renewals at a higher price. I called to complain; they canceled my automatic renewal and said they would send me an invoice for $69. I expect the price will increase later this year.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The New Yorker forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The New Yorker
The New Yorker by The New Yorker
3.1 out of 5 stars   (233)