17,796 Reviews

8,492 of 8,850 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a first Paperwhite, not worthy of an upgrade
Published 11 months ago by D. Carlson

7,870 of 8,091 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars More evolutionary than revolutionary, but worth the upgrade, September 30, 2013
This review is from: Kindle Paperwhite, 6" High Resolution Display with Next-Gen Built-in Light, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Electronics)
This is the fifth e-ink Kindle reader that I've bought. My wife and I were early adopters of Kindle, and when we buy a new Kindle, the old one goes to the next niece or nephew in line. I loved the original Paperwhite, with its small size, touch screen, front-lighting, and virtual keyboard. The all-new Paperwhite is a definite step up, and for me, it was worth the move, but others will have to decide for themselves. If you read a lot, and you don't already have one of the newer e-ink Kindles, it's definitely worth upgrading to the Paperwhite. If you have the original Paperwhite, the upgrade is well worth considering. Although I've only had the new Paperwhite a few hours, I'm already glad I upgraded. Here's a summary of my initial impressions of the new Paperwhite.

SIZE: It's the same size as the original Paperwhite - 6.7"x4.6"x0.36". The weight has been reduced slightly from 7.8 ounces to 7.3 ounces. The Paperwhite is very comfortable to hold in one hand, which is how I usually read. The really good news is that if you have a case for the original Paperwhite, it will also fit the new one (thank you, Amazon). If you buy a case, I highly recommend that the case include the magnetic AutoWake function. It's much easier to turn the Kindle on and off without fumbling for the small power switch.

LIGHTING: The front-lighting is noticeably improved over the original Paperwhite, which had slightly visible shadows coming from the bottom edge where the LED lights were located. (It didn't bother me, but some readers were annoyed by that.) I couldn't see any shadows in the new Paperwhite, where the lighting appears brighter and more uniform. With the Paperwhite's front lighting, you'll never need a clip-on light, even in total darkness.

TOUCH SCREEN: The text appears a bit crisper with more contrast, even though the 212 ppi resolution is the same as the original Paperwhite (but it's much better than the 169 ppi of the earlier Kindles). Unlike backlit tablets and phones, which wash out badly in sunlight, the Paperwhite is very readable in any lighting condition from total darkness to bright sunshine, simply by adjusting the lighting level. The touch screen's responsiveness has been noticeably improved. Swiping the page with a finger or touching the left or right sides of a page turns it immediately. With my old Paperwhite, I sometimes had to swipe or touch twice. The new Paperwhite is definitely more responsive with faster-turning pages.

BATTERY: According to Amazon, "A single charge can last up to eight weeks (based on a half hour of reading per day with wireless off and the light setting at ten)." Certainly not all Kindle readers fit this profile. As much as I read, and because I download so many books that I leave the wireless turned on, I routinely recharge it about once every week or so just to bring the battery to full charge. In any case, the battery life is several times that of backlit tablets and phones. With the high-speed chargers that are available now, battery life shouldn't be an issue with the new Paperwhite.

OTHER COMMENTS: As a touch screen e-book reader, the Paperwhite has no physical I/O, aside from a power button and a recharging/data port. Unlike earlier e-ink Kindles, there's no provision for audio output, so you won't be reading audiobooks on the Paperwhite.

NEW OR IMPROVED FEATURES: The X-Ray feature from the original Paperwhite has been retained and improved to be more context sensitive. The new in-line footnotes that can be read without losing your place will make footnoted nonfiction books a more enjoyable experience, as will be the new navigation feature that lets you scroll forward and backward without leaving the page you're on. I haven't had a chance to play around with those very much, but what I've seen so far looks very promising. The new Paperwhite does not include FreeTime for kids or the built-in version of Goodreads (now owned by Amazon), but these features are expected to be added in a software update by the end of this year.

SPECIAL OFFERS: It's $20 more if you want to eliminate the special offers. You can do this at the time you buy the Paperwhite, or you can do it later online. Honestly, you get used to the special offers very quickly, and in my opinion, it's not worth the money to do away with them. Also, they don't interfere with your reading - you only see them when you turn on the Kindle, and after swiping the screen with your finger, they go away.

THE VERDICT: The new Paperwhite is the state-of-the-art e-ink ebook reader. With improved screen contrast for better readability, a more sensitive touch screen with faster page turns, and some new or improved features that enhance the reading experience, it was worth upgrading from the original Paperwhite.

Note: I also have a Kindle Fire HD 7", which I use for web browsing, emails, apps, and music, but for most reading, I prefer the Paperwhite, unless a book has color photos or illustrations.
----------------------------------------
Update (10-31-2013): After using the new Paperwhite for a month, the added feature that I love the most is the Page Flip. When you're on a page, swipe up from the bottom, and a slightly smaller pop-up of the page appears. The pop-up has page turn arrows to go back or go forward in the book (you can also just swipe the pop-up page). When you're ready to return to your original page, press the "X" in the upper right corner of the pop-up, and the pop-up page goes away. It's as close as you can get to holding your finger between pages in a printed book while you flip pages. This is really a helpful feature.

6,583 of 6,807 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A new step forward for me in reading on my Kindle!, September 30, 2013
Length:: 8:38 Mins

I have loved and used my Kindle Keyboard for years now but I missed not being able to read it in a room with low lighting or in the dark. I purchased a Kindle Fire and I also use an iPad 3 but for ease of reading on my eyes I prefer the Kindle Keyboard. I wanted to get a Kindle Paperwhite e-Reader but I held off until this new generation was released before I spent my money. I got this because I wanted to reduce my eyestrain from reading in the evening and I just love this new tablet. It offers the perfect balance of a lit screen with reduced eyestrain and high clarity and contrast of the text.

I have added a video of the Kindle Paperwhite compared to a Kindle Keyboard and a Kindle Fire. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me and I will try to answer them.

I love that the text on the screen is crisp and clear. I use the Kindle because my declining vision caused me to stop reading books. Reading was my number one hobby my entire life and I just loved it. The Kindle has brought back that reading experience and now with the crisper text and lit screen I can enjoy my reading in every type of environment. I laid my Kindle Keyboard and the New Kindle Paperwhite side by side and the comparison of the quality of text and clarity is amazingly in favor of the new Paperwhite. The new lighting system and screen clarity is where this Paperwhite design really is outstanding. With better contrast, lighting and custom designed fonts, the text just pops out of the screen like you have not seen in an e-Reader before. With 221 PPI (Pixels Per Inch) this screen provides a 768 by 1024 pixel screen that just makes the old Kindle Keyboard look old fashioned. Technology certainly does move quickly on.

My favorite time to read is the last two hours of the evening before bedtime. Unfortunately that is the worst time to use a non-lit screen e-Reader. I went to using the Kindle Fire and the iPad 3. Unfortunately I noticed eyestrain that limited my reading time and I did not get the full enjoyment of spending my time reading. This new soft lit screen is unobtrusive and for me my eyes do not get tired of reading like they do on the Kindle Fire and on the iPad. After reading on the other backlit tablets I feel like I have that 1000 yard stare with dry and tired eyes. This lighting effect is softer and easier to read without the tired eyes and blurry vision. I am glad that I finally made the investment to get an updated Kindle Paperwhite.

There are 8 font sizes and I recently learned from one of the brilliant people who added a comment to this review that you can pinch and zoom on the Kindle Paperwhite to expand the font size or decrease it like you do on a powerful tablet, this is a great feature. There are 6 different font styles and they are Baskerville, Futura, Caecilia, Helvetica, Caecilia Condensed and Palatino. The fonts have been fine tuned to offer additional sharpness and clarity which is great for reducing eyestrain and fatigue. I love the new dictionary feature that creates a Vocabulary Builder which is a list of the words that you looked up and you can review the list and use flashcards to enhance your vocabulary and reading skills.

I thought that I would have trouble making the transition from the Kindle Keyboard to the New Kindle Paperwhite but it was a breeze. I think that using a touch screen and using finger swipes to turn pages and emulated keyboards like on the Kindle Fire and iPad made it a natural transition to this new Kindle. There is a minor learning curve of learning where to touch the screen but the changeover was fast and easy. The capacitive touch response of the screen is very nice. It makes the New Paperwhite respond quickly to finger touches, menu changes and page turns and the faster CPU helps there also.

What I like about the Kindle Paperwhite is that it is a dedicated e-Reader and it combines the best features of the Kindle e-ink and the iPad/Kindle Fire.

* Ultra lightweight at 7.3 ounces and easily held for hours with one hand. I love the size and weight as it is comfortable to hold for long periods of time and you don't find yourself laying down the Paperwhite like I would be doing with my iPad 3.
* Lit screen for reading in poorly lighted areas like the iPad and Kindle Fire but without the eyestrain. The lighting level is adjustable.
* High clarity of the text and contrast for easy reading
* Fast charging time in 4 hours
* Ability to be easily read in the sunlight with no screen glare.
* WIFI connectability
* Battery life of 28 hours (of reading time) depending on the WIFI usage and screen brightness used.
* Touch screen control
* Easy page turning and access to the onboard dictionary, access to Wikipedia and X-Ray.
* Easy to access menu and setup was a breeze
* 25% faster response for loading books and page turning thanks to a faster microprocessor.
* Small, thin and highly portable
* Able to carry 1,100 books
* My favorite feature is the adjustable text size and font style!
* Custom tuned fonts add clarity and crispness to the quality of the displayed text
* Since I review a lot of books I love to highlight sections and text as well as take notes on the screen.
* Translation of foreign language that is used in the book
* Web surfing is possible but still slower than a good tablet. Who cares, this is my portable ebook reader with 1,100 books in it. I have other devices to browse the web and read my email.
* I like the rubberized feel of the back and it is similar to my Kindle Fire. It makes the Kindle Paperwhite easy to grip and hold with one hand and just have it lay in the palm of my hand without a case.

This tablet gives me the best reading conditions in the daytime and also in the night. It has a lot of great features but I wanted to post a review that provides a strong comparison between the new Kindle Paperwhite, the Kindle Keyboard and the Kindle Fire when used as purely a reading device.

-------------------------------------Kindle Paperwhite---------Kindle Keyboard----------Kindle Fire original
Screen size: -------------------- 6 inch------------------------6 inch E Ink Pearl----------7 inch color LCD
Resolution: ---------------------768x1024-------------------600x800---------------------600x1024
Weight: --------------------------7.3 ounces------------------8.7 ounces-------------------14.6 ounces
Overall Size: --------------------6.7"x4.6"x0.36"-----------7.5"x4.8"x0.34"-------------7.5"x4.7"x0.45"
Battery life in hours of reading: 28 hours----------------28 hours----------------------8 hours
Charging Time: -----------------4 hours----------------------4 hours------------------------4 hours
Eyestrain: ---none under all reading conditions---yes in poor light----------yes due to backlighting
Memory: -------------------------2 GIG -------------------------4 GIG ---------------------------8 GIG
Number of books: -------------1,100--------------------------3,500----------------------------6,000
Included charger: --------------No---------------------------Yes--------------------------------Yes
WIFI Connectability: ----------Fast and easy--------------Fast and easy-------------------Fast and easy
Speakers: ------------------------No----------------------------Yes--------------------------------Yes

Other considerations:
* No distraction from email
* No distractions from text messages
* No distractions from phone calls.

Pros:
* You can use a capacitive stylus on the screen to help keep the screen clean.
* Great battery life and fast charging.
* Perfect form factor for size and weight for a hand held portable e-reader.
* I don't need to use the stupid book light that never worked well anyway!
* Faster page tuning which for me really makes a difference.
* Connection to the WIFI was fast and easy.
* Downloading my book library was fast and easy.
* Even though the screen has slight texture to it is does not show fingerprints as bad as a glossy screen like a Kindle Fire or an iPad

Cons:
* It still costs extra money for an AC wall adapter. It comes with a USB to Micro USB cable that you can use for charging and connecting to any AC USB wall adapter or computer USB port. I don't need another USB power adapter but not getting one just makes Amazon look cheap in not supplying one with the product.
* They charge extra money to remove push ads to your Kindle Paperwhite
* No speakers and no ability to have the book read aloud to you using text to speech.
* Dropping the memory to 2 GIG with only 1.25 GIG available. I know 1100 book storage is a lot but memory is getting cheaper and not more expensive. I already own 703 Kindle books and I continually purchase more. I would just have preferred more memory.

Summary:
Overall considering all the issues this is a great e-Reader. It is the best available at this time. I do feel that Amazon always gives some things and takes away others. Things like memory/book storage capacity, text to speech, speakers and AC wall chargers disappear from new products and sometimes return in others. I also don't care for the ads still being pushed in our faces. This is still a solid 5 star product and you can't go wrong with buying one. It is just that sometimes the things you lose seem to mean more to users than to Amazon. I don't mind them saving some money but raise the price $10 and put in all the features that users will need like a charger. This product with a few other features left in could have be a 10 star item with no regrets!

8,492 of 8,850 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Good as a first Paperwhite, not worthy of an upgrade, September 30, 2013
This review is for the second generation Kindle Paperwhite. Like all kindle e-readers before it, this is a great product. However, I am a bit disappointed as there is not a huge improvement over last year's model. For this review, I focused on features and enhancements exclusive to the new Paperwhite and tried to make comparisons to last year's model. Also, I found somethings misrepresented or confusing in the advertising, so I will try to clear them up.

HARDWARE

Design - The Kindle white has a nice look and shape. It fits well and is easy to hold in one hand. It's fairly light, so it doesn't tire the hands too much. I can grip it for long periods before having to switching hands. Its design is very similar to the previous Paperwhite - almost identical. The height and width are the same, the buttons are in the same location, and although this version is slightly lighter, it is not noticeable.

Display - Although not a huge improvement from last year's model, the display is one of the best features of the Paperwhite. Like most e-readers, the Paperwhite uses digital ink technology. This model employs a more advanced version. In addition, the lighting has been upgraded, so among other things, it is more evenly lit. Together, they make for incredible viewing. In my opinion, it's one of the best digital ink e-reader display on the market. I really enjoy reading on it, text look very sharp and crisp, with little to no eye strain.

Processor - The Paperwhite has an upgraded processor, which means smoother page turns and navigation. I am able to open books, flip pages, and navigate menus fairly quickly. There is barely any lag as I flip through many pages at a time. Also, the flashing effect when turning pages shows up less if at all. Although, when turning to a new page, I can still see remnants in the empty spaces caused by the text from the previous page, but not sure how much of this is because of processor speed. This is a nice upgrade from the previous Paperwhite.

Touchscreen - The touchscreen is good, it works as it should. The screen responds to the items I am trying to select. Rarely does it misinterpret my selection.

Battery Life - I haven't really had a chance to test this out, but Amazon quotes battery life to be eight weeks. Note, these are under very specific conditions - "based on a half hour of reading per day with wireless off and the light setting at 10." So let's do the math, 8 weeks x 7 days in a week = 56 days * .5 hours/day = 28 hour battery life. This is with wireless off and light at 10. Turn on wireless or raise the light setting, and performance drops. So battery life is not as huge of a jump from other devices as Amazon would lead us to believe.

SOFTWARE

In addition to hardware, the Paperwhite has some software upgrades. Initially they seem like separate and unique improvements. However, I found much of it to revolve around a single enhancement with many features added to it. That enhancement is the picture-in-picture screen. With this popup like screen, you are able to see information and navigate menus without leaving the current page you are reading. The device has leveraged the popup in several ways.

Word Lookup - One of the things I love about e-readers over traditional books is the ability to look up definitions of words in real-time, right from the device. No need to pull out a separate dictionary or thesaurus. Although most e-readers have this feature, I like the enhancement made for the new Paperwhite. It allows me to lookup a word on dictionary, x-ray, and Wikipedia on a single interface. For me this is great. I am a knowledge seeker, and when I come across something I want to know more about, whether it is a definition of a word or getting background information about a term, I can do that.

Page Flip - The page flip function is probably the best improvement of the upgraded software, it rocks! With it, I can skim forward or backward, like flipping back and forth between the pages of a real book. It's not quite like a real book, but in some respects a little better. It works by opening a popup window on top of the current page I am on. From this popup screen, I can scroll back and forth by page or by chapter. Since I am skimming on the popup screen, I never lose my place. I find it really handy for referencing a chart or visual aid on another page, or if I want go back to review or reread a section I didn't fully understand. When I am done, I can close out of the popup window to go back to the original page.

Foot Note - Nothing huge, but worth noting. In previous kindle versions, looking at a footnote meant navigating away from the page you are reading. With the addition of the popup function, footnotes instead open up in a separate screen. Not a huge enhancement, unless you are reading footnote heavy books, but then again how many of us really are?

Vocabulary Builder - Not something useful to me, but others might enjoy. The Paperwhite will collect all the words you look up definitions for and archive them so you can view them later. This can be used as a way to build your vocabulary. It has built in support to review the words like a flashcard, which will display both the definition of the word and its context. Again, not something for me, but I can see it being useful for the geek at heart.

Free Time - Don't have kids so can't give an elaborate opinion on this. All I know is that it is a parental control feature similar to what is on the Kindle Fire HD. It puts restrictions on what your kids can do and see when using the device.

Goodreads - For those who don't know, Goodreads is essentially a social network for readers, where people can review books and exchange recommendations. Amazon recently purchased Goodreads, allowing the company to now also become a social networking service. It will be interesting how Amazon moves forward with this, or what will happen now that Goodreads is no longer independent.

VERSIONS

Currently, the Paperwhite comes in two versions, WiFi Only and 3G.

Wifi Only - The wifi version costs $119. Wifi doesn't mean you can browse the web on it. It simply means you can purchase and download books without connecting it to a computer.

3G - This version cost $189. It isn't like buying a 3G Tablet, where you will have to pay for a monthly data plan. Again, you can't use it to surf the internet. The benefit of 3G on this device is that it allows you to purchase books independent of a wifi connection, but you need to be in an area with 3G cellular coverage. So if you're on the actual Amazon, Amazon.com can't deliver to you. This version is not slated to be released until early November.

Ads - Ads are shown on the home screen on both versions when the screen goes to sleep or you power the device on. For an additional $20, you can opt out of the ads. I was pretty vocal with my dislike of ads in my review of the Kindle Fire HD last year. I think ads are tasteless and cheapen the experience, and don't belong here. But like for any corporation, money is king.

ECOSYSTEM

When you buy an e-reader, you are not just getting a physical product, you are getting amenities of that brand's ecosystem. For example, if you buy a Barnes and Noble Nook, you can read books for free in their stores. If you buy a kindle, you get features like X-ray, which as I said I really like. Personally, I think Amazon has one of the better eco-systems for books. They have a library not available anywhere else, if you are a Prime member, you can download books for free, and now with the acquisition of Goodreads, they have really changed the game.

I mentioned last year in the Fire HD review that Amazon has always been at the forefront of the book buying and reading experience. I still feel that way. I think they are always innovating in this area. Some of the innovations aren't the best, but I give them credit for trying. If we ever fall into a police state society where books are banned, like in Ray Bradbury's novel Farenhiet 451, something tells me Amazon will be the revolutionary force using some advanced form of whispersycn technology to make sure books still reach people...probably not, but it gives you an idea of how dedicated they are to books.

SO, SHOUD YOU BUY?

If you own last year's Paperwhite - I don't think it is worth the upgrade. I don't really see this as a second generation Paperwhite device. In terms of design and hardware, it is nearly unchanged. Yes pages turn faster, but your reading experience is not going to change that much. The useful enhancements are in the software, but if you are interested in those, Amazon will likely have updates available for the older kindles. A true upgrade would have been to add a stylus so you can take and save handwritten notes or maybe offer a model with a bigger screen. If you do trade up though, one benefit is that your old cases will still fit.

If you own a Kindle Fire, Fire HD, or another Tablet - and are thinking about getting a more portable reader, I recommend it. I personally like reading more on an e-reader than a tablet. In sunlight, there is significantly less glare, and since you don't have a bright screen shining in your face, reading doesn't feel as intense. Also, e-readers are smaller and lighter so it is easier to carry them with me to the park or beach. Another benefit is that battery life on e-readers are considerably longer, not eight weeks as Amazon has listed, but enough so I am not charging it daily.

If you own another kindle model - I believe it is worth the upgrade. You'll get a bigger, better, and brighter screen, a faster device, touch screen, and more features in terms of software.

If you don't own any e-readers and this will be your first purchase, or if you're just waking out of a coma and the concept of e-readers is new, you can't go wrong with the new Paperwhite. Good combination of hardware, software, and ecosystem.

Hope this review has been helpful and given you useful information for your decision. One thing I didn't include is a comparison to other brands. Personally, and I hate to say this, but I don't see a future for many of them. What Apple did to Virgin Music and other record stores, Amazon is on the verge of doing to bookstores and retailers.

1,375 of 1,510 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Best Value for Your Money Compared to Other e-Ink Kindles, October 1, 2013
I am writing this review from the perspective of being a long-time Kindle user vs. someone brand new to the Kindle experience. As a point of reference, I have owned and used each model of the e-Ink Kindles and Kindle Fires.

From an overall standpoint, and considering everything you get (compact e-Reader, touch screen, lighting system), the Paperwhite is a very good e-Reader. Similar to the first-generation Paperwhite, I am impressed at how much smaller these e-Readers can become as compared to a "regular" Kindle or my Kindle Keyboard yet still not feel like you're losing anything from a "feels like a book" experience.

To address the reading experience, I compared the current book I was reading side-by-side with the first generation Paperwhite as I wasn't sure what to expect with the display. The text on the screen is sharper than the first generation with a better contrast: the whites are whiter and the blacks are blacker. Why is that important? It means the text is more crisp while you are reading which is always a good thing (and my aging eyes). Compared to a regular e-Ink Kindle, the text on the screen is much more crisp than any of the other version of an e-Ink Kindle I have used, and just to ensure I wasn't being biased I put the Paperwhite next to a Kindle 3 / Keyboard, a Touch, a "regular" Kindle, and a Kindle DX - all on the same page of a book with the covers removed (didn't want the cover to give an optical illusion or anything) - and you can clearly see a better quality in terms of the fonts.

Reading in the dark is a good experience with the lighting display in comparison to the other versions of Kindle because you don't need an additional light that can get in the way: it didn't disturb, for example, my wife who likes to watch TV in a dark room; the same is true in comparison to the first-generation Paperwhite. it is also very convenient on a plane ride at night as you are able to see the full page of the text vs. a light attachment only reaching most of the screen: there are no impediments to the reading screen. Reading outside is not a problem, either, as compared to some of the display issues you may have with a Kindle Fire outside.

Turning the page backwards and forwards is as simple as a simple tap of the thumb as you hold the device or, if you prefer, a swipe with your finger in either direction.

Accessing the menu structure of the Paperwhite is also simple: just touch the top 20-30% of the screen where you can quickly access a keyboard, hit the menu, table of contents, etc. Navigation is a piece of cake.

This generation of the Paperwhite is supposed to have a processor that is 25% faster than the first-generation Paperwhite: I can't seem to tell a difference between the two models, as a page turn appears to take just as long - and I didn't notice a delay in the first place.

Something new in this model - to me, at least, as I never saw it on the first generation Paperwhite - is a tool called Vocabulary Builder, which is supposed to help you learn new words while you read: words you look up in the Kindle's dictionary are stored in Vocabulary Builder, where you can then view Flashcards or review usage examples for those words. It's not something I see myself personally using, but I imagine my kids will as they are reading about 75% of their school books for reading class or extra credit on their Kindles.

WiFi setup was easy, and it took me an extra minute because I typed in the incorrect password to my wireless router. Web surfing speed with the WiFi feature on the Paperwhite is about the same as the other type of e-Ink Kindles and the first generation Paperwhite. Doing a side-by-side test I tried the mobile websites of Fox News and CNN and they popped right up; the usual slow sites were still slower than Christmas (Houston Chronicle newspaper in particular). With the whiter whites and darker darks I mentioned above, the crispness of the web pages - especially pictures - is much improved in this model. Checking email with an e-Ink Kindle via Gmail is a chore with this as well as other versions of e-Ink Kindle, but none of that is really important to me as I have too many device that do that anyway: when I have my Kindle, I usually want to read a book vs. surf the web or check email.

Despite what people may say, size matters! In this case, the Paperwhite is not too small and not too large and Amazon appears to have hit the sweet spot. I would highly recommend the Amazon-branded case for it, as it fits snug and firm and automatically puts the unit into sleep mode when you close the cover, and wakes it back up when you open the cover. To see the cover I purchased, click this link: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Onyx Black (does not fit Kindle or Kindle Touch).

About the only negative I have for this unit, if you could even call it a negative, is Amazon continues to be rather cheap and not include a power adapter with the included power cord. True, most people have lots of adapters they can plug the micro-USB cord into, but please make the unit complete and functional fresh out of the box. Despite that statement, for just $119 I think this is a great unit and I enjoy reading with it: the Paperwhite has replaced my beloved Kindle Keyboard for reading!

If you boil down all of the whistles and bells, the cost of the unit and the cost of additional items (cover, screen protector), plus the elimination of purchasing an external light for reading at night, I think the Paperwhite is hands down the best e-Ink Kindle readeryou're your money Amazon is offering right now. If you are looking to upgrade your current e-Ink Kindle, or are a first-time Kindle purchaser, I would recommend this model of the Kindle every time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't choose 3G if Wi-Fi is available., December 17, 2013
I love my Paperwhite -- Great display, a joy to read, compact size, light weight, great battery life. I do, however have one issue that buyers should be aware of. If the Paperwhite finds a Wi-Fi connection, it will insist on using it. The Paperwhite does not have the option of turning off Wi-Fi and using a 3G connection. This can be a problem if you are somewhere that you really don't want to use Wi-Fi. Personally, I've had this problem in hotel rooms with "Pay-for-Use" Wi-Fi. It would seem so simple to just turn off Wi-Fi and use 3G; but it can't be done.

Yes, I would buy this Kindle again; but I am disappointed that I cannot select the use of Wi-Fi or 3G. I paid a lot more for a 3G Whitepaper. It would be nice to be able to use it when I want to use it. Users considering the purchase of a 3G Paperwhite should be aware of this restriction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took the plunge..., October 16, 2013
I've always been a person who's adamantly disliked ebooks. I preferred the real thing, the feel of the book, flipping the pages, the smell of the paper and ink. I briefly gave the first generation Nook a try, mostly for the ease of carrying a ton of books with me in college without adding to my already overloaded book bag, but honestly didn't like it at all.

Yet after being bombarded with Kindle Paperwhite commercials for the past month, and coming face to face with the device in a Best Buy, I finally decided to give it a look, and after investigating all the features on the Amazon page for it, decided to take the plunge. And I'm seriously glad I did!

The device is so small and light, it's really comfortable to hold in pretty much any reading position with one hand or both. I love to read in bed, and I can even balance it on a pillow one handed without having to worry about it slipping out of my hand as I tried to turn pages, and snapping shut to lose my place. When you read thick, monster sized books like I do, this is a real concern!

The screen is brilliant, evenly lit across the entire surface, with a gorgeous, no glare finish. I was able to read in bed in complete comfort, in the dark, after my husband had already gone to sleep. The light adjusts from being exceedingly bright to very dim while all still being evenly lit, so I'd imagine anyone would be able to find a setting comfortable for their eyes in various environments. The screen itself is slightly recessed into the black border, so the chances of accidentally turning a page are reduced.

The system controls wonderfully. Everything is snappy; the pages flip fast, the browser loads the store quickly. Downloading books really is as quick and simple as advertised. When you first start the device, there's a brief setup to pick your language, set up the WiFi, and link to your amazon account. After that, there's a a brief tutorial showing you the ropes of controlling the system, which I feel that anyone should be able to learn. The ability to change the font size and the font itself is quick and easy to access, but not something I've yet used. From the looks of the settings however, I imagine there would be something to suit everyone's needs.

One feature I thought I'd rarely if ever use is the 'Lookup' feature. I hardly ever bother to look up words I don't know when I come across them whilst reading as I can almost always infer their meaning from context. However, when I have a dictionary or Wikipedia article right at my fingertips, there's just no reason not to look them up. It's not necessarily a feature used only for little known words you haven't encountered before; today while reading, I came across a passage involving a tray of food. Besides the tea, cookies, bowl of olives and other things on the tray, there were two items in french. Simply by tapping and holding on the words themselves, I discovered through the dictionary that the items were actually a plate of various cold cuts, and a type of french sausage. Did I need to know exactly what these items were to understand the passage? No. Did it lead to a more detailed image of the scene and a more enjoyable passage? Most definitely! This feature even works on character's names within the text when it's enabled by the publisher, and will bring up a description of the character- very helpful for any books with a large cast of characters.

But what really won me over was the ebooks themselves. You can buy pretty much any book in a somewhat less expensive digital format, and Amazon has sales all the time apparently. I've already picked up three full novels from the monthly sale for only $1.99 a piece. Add to that the lending library from Amazon Prime, and being able to check out ebooks from the public library without even having to leave the house, on top of being able to email myself PDF's and other files of my own... It's just fantastic. Plus, with Amazon adding in the 'Kindle Matchbook' feature at some point, I'll be able to buy the print version of books I'll definitely read again and want to own a physical copy of, and still be able to get the digital to read on the go with ease for a significant discount. I can still have my print collection of my favorite author's works grow, while being able to enjoy the ease and convenience of the ebook as well!

I've seen a lot complaints about the ads that appear on the lock screen, but I personally don't mind them at all. The ads are for new releases and sale books, which I don't mind seeing anyway- I might want that book, who knows! Besides, it's more interesting then a blank lock screen anyway. You can pay extra to get rid of the ads apparently, but I wouldn't waste the money to do that when the ads are likely to be of interest anyway.

The battery for me is not lasting as long as specified, but I'm also not using it in the specified way either. Amazon's advertised battery life is for 8 weeks with airplane mode on, only using a light level of ten, and reading for only 30 minutes a day. My Paperwhite's Battery hit less then half full in about 2-3 days, but I was also reading for hours each day, with the light higher set higher then ten. The battery should be plenty to last you the time of a plane, car, or train trip no problem- and it charges fairly quickly. It's a shame that the Kindle itself doesn't come with a wall outlet adapter for the USB cable, but the Paperwhite uses the same connector that my Galaxy S3 phone uses (which I believe is the same as most phones nowadays) and I should be able to use one of those cables. It's nice to have the option to buy the adapter separately, rather then building one into the price; most people should have plenty of charging cables with wall plugs laying around from their other devices.

The Kindle Paperwhite was the perfect ebook storm to make me finally take the plunge and become a dedicated e-reader. The crisp book like display, ease of getting and carrying books with me, being able to read in any light level, perfect size and shape for any reading location or position. It's just... unbelievably good. I love my Kindle far more then I ever thought I would, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Even if you're completely dedicated to your physical bookshelves, give Paperwhite a try- it's worth it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paperwhite is a Downgrade from Kindle Keyboard, December 10, 2013
dhpnet (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
I have owned many Kindles and various other tablets, and I decided to purchase the New Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen.) because I wanted a Kindle with a built-in light. After using it for a couple days, I can't help but compare the new Paperwhite to my old Kindle 3 (AKA Kindle Keyboard). I have to say that the K3 is still by far the best eReader that I have owned. The Paperwhite is a step backwards in my opinion.

The new built-in light is fantastic, and was a great addition to the Kindles, but loss of other features makes the Paperwhite less useful than the K3.

The Paperwhite has a slightly whiter screen, but the K3 was already very bright and white, so I don't notice any real difference when I am immersed in a book.

The weight feels about the same for both, and the Paperwhite is slightly smaller, but not much. The Paperwhite still has a huge bezel around the screen. I really don't think this very slight reduction in size is a big improvement.

One big difference is the loss of the physical page turning buttons. The touch screen is nice, and useful, but it was much easier to just squeeze your thumb to change pages rather than having to lift your finger to touch the screen. I know that sounds a little petty, but after reading for several hours it makes a big difference.

Another big loss is the text to speech reader, the earphone jack, and speakers. I loved being able to turn on the reader when I was busy cooking food or washing clothes, and then switch back to reading when I was done. I also sometimes have trouble reading difficult text, and the reader was amazing at helping me keep my place and better understand what I was reading. I have become a much better and faster reader by using the text-to-speech reader on my K3. I think this would be an important feature for younger children or people with reading disabilities. This is probably the biggest loss on the Paperwhite. You also lose the ability to listen to Audible audio books on the Paperwhite, so you can just cancel your Audible account after upgrading.

The Paperwhite also has much less memory and holds noticeably fewer books, magazines, or PDFs. That might be good because you might save some money by not buying as many books.

Jeff Bezos once said that the goal of the Kindle line was to create the best eReader possible. If that is true, then why did Amazon drop so many important and useful features when they introduced the Paperwhite? When I look at the giant step backward, I can't help wonder if Jeff and Amazon are really more interested in squeezing every last dollar out of customers rather than providing the best eReader possible for a reasonable price in exchange.

To anyone that currently owns a Kindle 3 or Kindle Keyboard, I would only suggest buying the Paperwhite if you want to have the built-in light. Other than that, there is no real reason to upgrade, and in fact, it is actually a downgrade in my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Get the 3g version., December 12, 2013
Kenneth J. Mitchner (Akron, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
First of all, the device itself, reading books, the backlight, are all very nice. I previously had a 3rd gen kindle and this one is drastically better and well worth the upgrade if only for the wonderful backlight. There is one big issue and that is with the wifi. Every public wifi service now has some web page or interface that needs to be clicked through in a browser to activate the connection. This kindle works with some major chains that do this, but there are so many airports and other areas with "free wifi" that the kindle can't utilize because of the limited browser and it's inability to navigate these activation pages. One example was Charlotte airport, I wanted to purchase a new book for my layover, but their website to enable wifi actually completely froze the kindle and I had to hard-boot it. I rebooted and retried 2-3 times and it bricked the kindle every time. This was not an isolated incident as I have come across hotels and offices with similar issues while owning this device. I would recommend skipping the wifi version of kindle e-readers and just get the 3g, the extra money is well worth not getting stuck at an airport or hotel without something to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars MADLY AND HOPELESSLY HOOKED!, October 3, 2013
Luz Gonzalez (CHICAGO, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Let me start by saying that I am an avid reader and iPad user. I am and always have been extremely loyal to my iPads. In fact, I have two iPads...and iPad mini and an iPad with retina display. Both of my iPads are amazing in their own right and the one with retina display even more so. I used the iPad mini to read because of its convenient size in comparison with my larger iPad. However, reading on them in any kind of daylight is a challenge and not visually comfortable in the least. So I decided to purchase the Kindle Paperwhite. I was initially concerned about the lighting complaints I was reading about on the original Paperwhite so I was undecided. I was thrilled when I learned that Amazon was releasing a new version of their Paperwhite. I ordered it immediately. I AM HOOKED! For reading, there is absolutely no comparison. Even my super retina display iPad doesn't come close. I have started to neglect my poor little iPads and take my Kindle Paperwhite everywhere I go. The resolution is amazing. You can see it crisply and clearly in any type of lighting. You can adjust the screen lighting to your desired brightness. It is light and easy to hold. I have small hands and holding it is not an issue because of how light it is. It can be held so comfortably that I don't even want to put it in a case...even though I know I should protect it. It is absolutely perfect in every way. The lighting is not streaky or blotchy as others have mentioned with their original Paperwhite. It has actually made me want to read more. I have the version with the advertisements and they do not hinder at all while reading. They simply come up on your screen if your Kindle is left dormant and can be made to disappear with a mere flick of your finger. It is amazing and as far as I am concerned...the best e-reader out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so incremental.... MUCH improved, but know what you are getting...., October 1, 2013
*** UPDATED ***

I have the Kindle Keyboard, the low end Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Fire. All excellent devices in their own ways.

I purchased the first generation Paperwhite, and I returned it in a matter of a couple of days. I wrote an extensive review, mostly focused on the screen. The screen lighting was a mess, and the light had a blue cast. I could not read on it without eye fatigue within a matter of minutes. Since I read extensively on both my iPad and smartphones, I couldn't understand why this device gave me so much discomfort. So, for me, the original screen was simply a deal killer. The improvements to the screen are the difference to me of a "keeper" and a device that I couldn't think of keeping.

However, having said that, I was hesitant to purchase another one. Here's my first read on the new device:

Screen: This device is much better.... I just read on it in low light with the light at approximately 11, and it's great. Even turned up to 15 or 16, it's readable. The light is whiter, much more even across the screen. There is still some unevenness, but it's not bothersome (there is a brighter "stripe" of light at the top of the screen.)

Screen Contrast: Play with the light to see how the contrast changes with illumination. You'll see considerable variation. Still, it's too dark to read in a room at the settings Amazon suggests if there is no ambient light in the room, but the contrast is fine with the light set in the middle.

Speed: It's very zippy! Quick page turns, quick book opens, responsive screen.

New features: I love the ability to browse forward without moving from the current page. Highlighting is simple, and more flexible. You can change the length of the highlight easily by moving the brackets after your initial "grab" of all or part of a sentence. After you make the change, you touch "Highlight" and it's done. Not so easy on older devices. ** UPDATE** The vocabulary feature is great! Each time you look up a word, it goes into a vocabulary file. You can review the list, and give yourself Flashcard practice. Great way to improve your vocabulary! LOVE IT!

Battery Life: I will update this review as I see how this goes. I noticed that after only a few hours of use, that I see a "tick" of battery life reduced. However, since it's new, is indexing, and I downloaded 11 books, we'll see how the battery holds up with use. **UPDATE** I've had the device a total of 9 days, haven't used it daily, and I keep wifi off for the most part. The battery will need to be charged soon. FYI.

Page Numbers: I will also update this review after more experience on a variety of books. I'm reading a large book, and have the book on a number of devices. All have page numbers, except for the Paperwhite version. Not sure why. The book has been indexed by my device, so I'd expect them to be there. If this proves to be the case, I'll be calling the Paperwhite team in the hopes that this will be fixed in a software update. ****UPDATE**** To access page numbers: open your book. If you see location on the lower left, tap on it. It should switch to page numbers (tap again and you can scroll through other things: time in book and chapter). This will also change your table of contents to page numbers (hit Go To after tapping top of screen to bring up the menu).

Weight: Has a slightly hefty hand feel, but not enough to be bothersome.

What would I change:

Not much, except for two things:

Storage: 2G of storage is not enough, in my opinion. However, as my older devices became lower on storage, the device speed ground to a halt. So, this is one way of keeping the device performing. I'm already at 1.25G remaining storage with 11 books downloaded. I'd have paid extra to purchase a 4G option.

Audio: I don't care so much about text to speech, but I don't understand the lack of ability to use Audible books on this device (although with 2G of memory, it's obviously not an option at that level). Not being able to use Audible doesn't make sense to me in light of the Whispersync for voice feature that has become so much a part of Amazon's ecosystem. I suppose this drives people to the Kindle Fire, but still....

For the last two reasons, the device doesn't feel like a bargain to me at $119 (it's stripped in some ways, particularly next to a $139 8G Fire), but it is still an excellent device as long as you are clear on what you are getting.

A couple of initial tips:

I saw some crazy flashing of the screen (may also have impacted the battery) which I later realized may have been the cover images of my archived items loading onto my device. The flashing has stopped, so I expect that was the case. I have a lot of books in my Archive.

I found the recommendations at the bottom of my screen took up too much space from my library. I turned them off via "Settings".... great that you can do so.

Play with light settings until you feel comfortable in different light situations. I expect that you'll be changing the settings, but it's simple to do.

I'm glad that Amazon is not taking their focus off pure reading devices. I purchased this mainly to take the load off of my backlit devices (iPad and Fire), since I often found that I was either constantly charging, or couldn't read when I wanted to, since they were plugged in in another room.

**** UPDATE 10/25 ****

I've been using the device for about a month, and it's great! A pure reading device. I can read for long periods without eye fatigue, indoors or out.

It's very easy to navigate back and forth...for example: what to check chapter length? Just tap 'go to' and a drop down will show you the table of contents, including page numbers.

It's very responsive. The only lag I've seen is with a game that I downloaded, Slingo. That is sluggish.
*****
UPDATE 10/30

I was reading outside near sunset. As it got darker, the device lighting enabled me to continue reading till it was almost dark without touching the lighting settings (and I could have continued reading after dark). Great!

******
UPDATE 11/13

Battery life: seems to be consistent around 9 to 10 days, with light set between 10 - 16 and with wireless off ( except when downloading). Not as good as I expected, but I can live with it.

Speed: I have noticed with use, and additional books stored, that the device is becoming more sluggish. If I type my password too quickly, it doesn't take, for example. I need to purposefully input each number, wait for it to show up onscreen, and then put in the next number. Also, with page turns. Not as quick as when I first received the device, but it's still ok.

********

Any questions, comments, things you'd like tested? Please post and I'll be back to you as soon as I'm able.

Enjoy! Nice job, Amazon!