Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 12, 2010 11:03:52 AM PDT
What is that!
I've been waiting for the Kindle edition and now the price is at parity!

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 12:39:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2010 12:42:22 PM PDT
Hey, so many Kindle owners were willing to screw with the book's rating just to get a Kindle version, the publisher and Amazon.com probably thought there was tremendous demand for it. Hence the price being the same as the hardcover.

Free market in action, baby! Way to go, "Kindle Nation!" :D

(Now I trust that every single person who gave this book 1 star without reading it because they couldn't get a Kindle version will rush to buy it, so Amazon.com will know they were serious -- and not just petty people with too much time on their hands. The 1-star campaign ain't gonna work worth a damn if Amazon.com realizes 80 percent of those people never intended to buy the book, even on Kindle. Heck, Amazon.com should just go ahead and send a copy to every Kindle owner who wanted to read The Big Short so badly, and charge whatever credit cards they have on record.)

Posted on May 12, 2010 6:23:47 PM PDT
Wordhurler:
I did not write a review. I will after I read the book.
Amazon marketed the kindle as "Most NYT Bestsellers for $9.99," etc.
That's why people are angry.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 8:13:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2010 8:22:56 PM PDT
I didn't say you wrote a review, L.D. Just speculated on how the people who did write all those 1-star why-isn't-it-on-Kindle "reviews" may have helped drive the price of the Kindle version up.

Which would be a bit of justice, no doubt about it. Sometimes karma is hilarious.

As for Amazon saying most NYT bestsellers would be $9.99 on the Kindle, well -- the operative word there would be "most." There's a reason Amazon chose it. They didn't throw it in by chance. If a bunch of people out there decided to believe "most" means "all," that's their fault, not Amazon's. And hey, prices go up.

If all these people who didn't flinch at paying hundreds of dollars for a gadget that lets them read books are suddenly outraged because this book costs a little less than sixteen bucks, then let 'em wait for the paperback. It's going to be about $10. Or let 'em buy a used copy of the hardcover when it drops below ten bucks. (Or, as someone else in the community wisely said, let 'em "borrow the book from a library and donate the $9.99 to charity." There are actually people out there who could use it. Millions of people whose problems go a little deeper than "This book I want for my $300 gadget costs $16 instead of $10.")

You can have the book now, or you can have it cheap. As with nearly everything else, you can't have both.

Posted on May 13, 2010 11:19:27 AM PDT
H. Luther says:
what a stupid decision this has been
the management here of the kindle edition has cost the author a bunch
this is a book with a certain timeliness of subject and publicity splash
by an author who had an image of being at least a bit on the cutting edge
and he was used by the publisher for its own fight on the pricing of ebooks
now after a long delay pricing the same ebook as same as the hardcover -- is offensive, nonsensical and dumb
there it is -- so many other books to read and so little time

Posted on May 22, 2010 6:30:52 PM PDT
At $9.99 I would buy the Kindle version. At $17 I wont.

Posted on Jun 25, 2010 5:23:54 PM PDT
I just finished this book and wanted to listen to it while I exercise.
I loved the book, but at this price I'll pass on the audio version.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  May 12, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 25, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions