Customer Discussions > American Assassin: A Thriller forum

Kindle Price Too High

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 145 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 4, 2010 9:31:33 PM PDT
This is rediculous that a eBook is only 12 cents cheaper than the Hardback book. I say boycott all publishers/Authors who are trying to enforce price fixing on books. It is obvious that the cost to produce and sell an eBook is significantly cheaper that a hardback book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2010 9:32:13 PM PDT
Deborah Burt says:
Okay, I am a little disheartened that the prices on new books for Kindle are constantly going up-whats with that? I love my Kindle so much its hard to even describe, lol. However, I cant share or give books away once I have read them, so even though the price is lower than the 26-30 bucks you can get hit with (honestly, even brand-new books are always discounted) its a rip off to pay 50% of the retail cost. Shame on you publishers for being so greedy

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 8:19:26 AM PDT
I totally agree with you folks. As the kindle gets more and more popular, the price of the books goes higher and higher. First they take away the text to speech function ( which as far as i'm concerned I PAID FOR ), and now they make it less desirable to buy the e-version of a book. At least with the hardcopy book, I can lend it to a friend, or take it to a used book store and trade it for something I haven't read yet.

Greedy Greedy Greedy Publishers.

Posted on Aug 14, 2010 9:23:32 AM PDT
K. Joshi says:
I have made a pledge to myself - I will not buy any kindle book that is over $10.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 1:52:28 PM PDT
To make it effective we need to respond as a community of Kindle users. We should we should vow not to purchase any eBook product that is not significantly lower in price than its paper product.

Posted on Aug 16, 2010 9:34:53 PM PDT
njg says:
I agree. As an owner of one of the original Kindles, I am disappointed that the prices of books keeps going up. The Kindle was marketed with books being 9.99 and now I can buy books cheaper at Sams Club...and I can donate them to the lbrary or share them when I am done. I'd like to get a new generation Kindle but book prices keep me from upgrading.

Posted on Aug 20, 2010 11:52:24 AM PDT
Nothing over $10.00. Plus we're taking literary advice from Glenn Beck?

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 12:10:51 AM PDT
S. Shafer says:
My husband surprised me with a Kindle because he's tired of books being all over the house. Knowing how much I spend on them, he thought the Kindle would be great. With all the new ones now starting at $12.99 or more, how is this helping me with costs? There's a limit to how many free classics that I'd really want to read. If the book has been out for several years, plus paperback - the Kindle price should reflect that. Other posters have the right idea - I can take a book and lend it, sell it, or donate it. I'm almost sorry that I have it.

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 7:12:32 PM PDT
I love my Kindle! I was thrilled to get new books for $9.99 but now see that the prices have gone up to almost $15.00. That's not a bargain! I don't think the I-Pad and the Nook are doing this. Amazon needs to step up to the plate and get the publishers to bring the original prices back. I can go to Costco or the Literary Guild and get the hardbacks for $14.99. I want to use my Kindle. Please fight to bring back the $9.99 books.

Posted on Sep 9, 2010 2:07:54 PM PDT
orson brown says:
It's a huge mistake to upset people who love to read. First you offer a product which revolutionized the way we read our books and at huge discount from the actual book. Readers are excited and buying books buy the thousands! Then GREED rears it's ugly head and now us readers don't feel special anymore. Soon said readers will look for the better deal and where will that leave you Amazon? What made the Kindle special was the convinence and low prices for our favorite authors. But with prices comparable to hardback prices, what's the point. There's a reason Walmart is #1. Take a clue.

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 5:48:06 AM PDT
I average 11.5 shipped for a hardcover on doubleday and mysteryguild. I refuse to spend more than 9.99 on ebooks. Amazon, take notice!!!

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 5:54:42 AM PDT
I average 11.5 shipped for a hardcover on doubleday and mysteryguild. I refuse to spend more than 9.99 on ebooks. Amazon, take notice!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2010 6:13:28 PM PDT
GBR #1 says:
This is an excellent point. When I saw the new Vince Flynn book on my suggestions page I was ready to buy it instantly until reading all of your comments. Amazon, I'm with them. I will not be purchasing the book at this price.

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 7:06:46 PM PDT
Okay everyone, get the word out on Facebook, Twitter and all the other social networks to boycott Vince Flynn's book "American Assassin: A Thriller" in all formats until the eBook price is reduced at least $2.00 below the Hardcover sale price. If you own any other eReader beside the Kindle get the word out to those platforms as well. If we don't put a stop to this type of price fixing, the publishers will run rogue with their prices and we will never get it to where it should be!

Posted on Sep 14, 2010 7:58:08 PM PDT
Publishers obviously don't want us to read ebooks, >,< they are crooks, price fixing is legal in most countries, why is the government allowing this?

Posted on Sep 18, 2010 4:05:19 PM PDT
Let's get the boycott going.

I WILL NOT BUY THIS BOOK AT THIS EXORBITANT PRICE.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2010 5:06:52 PM PDT
AMEN! Someone willing to stand up to the publishers' price fixing! I hope there is a politician willing to the same, they have my vote!

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 1:28:59 PM PDT
Princess says:
As much as I love Connelly, Flynn, Childs, Siva, Thor and Clancy novels I will NOT purchase an eBook over $9. I did it earlier this year and it was a waste of money. I can wait on the paperback or read it next year. There are a lot of good books out that are reasonably priced for the Kindle.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 6:19:53 PM PDT
I bought the last Flynn book on the kindle but not this one. I reserved the book from the library. The publisher must not care but I will not pay the price!

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 10:33:52 PM PDT
Kindle is no longer worth buying. I currently have 3 Kindles. All are going on Ebay/Craigslist. I will keep my Ipads as they serve other functions. When if they drop the price of an ebook to reasonable levels I will consider them again. This BS about publisher setting price is absurd. If Amazon said we won't sell at that price then they would reduce price.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 11:57:10 PM PDT
The key is total boycott of the book. Don't buy it in any format. Let the publisher know that price fixing is not okay by attacking their revenue. If enough people boycott the book altogether both the publisher and author will get the message. If the publisher is not willing to abide by the laws then the hopefully the author will get another publisher.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 12:01:59 AM PDT
We need an attorney and/or politician willing to stand up against the publishers and let them know they are not above the law and price fixing is not okay. If they don't stop this now then this will spread beyond the publishing business and we as consumers will suffer in all markets.

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 5:34:10 AM PDT
Denise Bates says:
So does anyone at Amazon read this or are we ranting in the wind?

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 7:27:42 AM PDT
Bruce Senior says:
I have been reading ebooks since the original peanut press for Palm(more than 10 years) but at 15.00, I will go back to paper since I no longer travel for a living. Even 9.99 was a stretch for an ebook which is essentially a one person, one read book and has no other value after you read it, but, I was paying for travel convenience. Its a shame, I just bought an Ipad to store my music chord charts and reading on Kindle program was great but unless the books are down around $5.00 to $10.00 tops I will no longer purchase as this is a waste of money.

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 2:17:01 PM PDT
Don O says:
I will not spend more then $10 on any ebook. I can borrow ebooks from my public library in epub format. Kindle will not accept this format so I will use a reader that accepts this format.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa1c08a14)

This discussion

Participants:  92
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  Aug 4, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 25, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
American Assassin: A Thriller
American Assassin: A Thriller by Vince Flynn (Hardcover - October 12, 2010)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (1,010)