Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle - Screen Size

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2007 5:44:48 PM PST
I am prepared to pay $1000 for an eReader with a 15" or bigger screen. Some of us read at the same location - home or work - and don't need portability and so a tiny, paperback-size screen is too much of a squint for me.

Making eBooks available for our computers would afford laptop owners book portability while desktop owners could read at their desk. This would also allow users to access all their regular applications on their computers without waiting or hoping for them to become available on an eReader. The applications we use are already on our computers.

Whatever the case, the screen is too tiny. What's the gain of reading in big font on a pinhead screen? Offer the Kindle in different sizes for different prices. Some of us will gladly pay a premium for a bigger screen size.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2007 10:13:46 PM PST
Paul Harris says:
Isn't this exactly what you get from Amazon Upgrade?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 3:01:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2007 3:02:02 AM PST
MM: Here's the first of several posts I made along similar lines (mainly in order to allow currently private publisher's PDFs of their textbooks to be DRM-protected and then read without any other conversion work), in the thread "How to make the Kindle a smash hit ...":
http://www.amazon.com/kindle-smash-students-business-professionals/forum/FxBVKST06PWP9B/TxMO6DN9ZF88FU/1/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdMsgNo=2&cdAnchor=B000FI73MA&cdSort=oldest&cdMsgID=Mx3B127O4RMCNW#Mx3B127O4RMCNW

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 6:36:09 AM PST
If you want to pay $1000 for an eReader with a 15" or bigger screen I would suggest a tablet PC.
eBooks are already available for computers. Try ebooks.com for a wide selection.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 10:48:19 AM PST
M. Armstrong says:
I saw the Sony Reader screen yesterday - which is the same size as the Kindle. I agree I would like a bigger screen...more like the size of regular hardback than the size of a small paperback. About 50% bigger would make the content on a page more like a book to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 12:40:23 PM PST
...allow currently private publisher's PDFs of their textbooks to be DRM-protected and then read without any other conversion work

----------

That's a great idea. I am heading to your thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2007 1:31:01 PM PST
I have just come from ebooks.com and their full-price books make me want to buy Kindle right now... but I'll wait to see if Amazon integrates some feedback/suggestions into version 2 of Kindle.

ebooks.com has 102,000 selections, but nobody can match Amazon in selections and price, and so it looks like Kindle is the way to go. If only they would improve the horrendous design and tiny screen size.

Posted on Feb 18, 2009 6:17:19 PM PST
Chaz Hall says:
I am very anxious to see the PLASTIC LOGIC e-reader due out sometime in the next year. Its a paper sized document reader and looks like a less stringent piece of hardware.

Amazon may have a stranglehold on the market, but this still looks like a promising ereader.

Posted on Feb 18, 2009 6:35:43 PM PST
Bufo Calvin says:
For reading on your computer, let me also suggest http://www.feedbooks.com. The books are free, and you can download them as a .pdf, which works well on the computer.

One solution might be let the Kindle have an output jack that could plug into a monitor, like a laptop. Don't know how compatible the e-ink instructions could be made for pixels, though.

I suspect, in the future, roll-up, fold-out, and/or projection screens will be available. Of course, there are always VR (Virtual Reality) goggles...followed by the inevitable implant. ;)

Bufo Calvin
Author, Free Books for Your Kindle

Posted on Feb 18, 2009 7:41:15 PM PST
Mobipocket, eReader, Microsoft lit etc. will allow you to read on a monitor but they still retain a book look so the pages probably won`t fill the entire screen.

I lower the brightness on my monitor until it is a little brighter than a white page held up next to it. eReader allows you to choose the page colour and parchment is very soothing. To me personally, it`s just as comfortable as e-ink. BUT you can`t lounge comfortably while reading from a desktop.

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 1:40:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 19, 2009 1:41:18 AM PST]

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 1:51:58 AM PST
Pamela says:
Isn't that called a computer? And isn't it backlit and hard on your eyes. No thanks. With Kindle I've rediscovered my love of reading. No eyestrain, I can enlarge the font and get books and samples delivered right to my reader. No thanks to a 15" screen, which by the way would be awfully heavy to hold.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2009 4:54:11 AM PST
Chaz Hall says:
Pamela,
Could you see reading a magazine on the kindle? Im concerned the screen size is too small. To clarify, PCMagazine has gone digital. Have you read any such periodical on your kindle?

Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2009 6:00:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2009 6:01:06 AM PST
Pamela says:
Yes, I've tried some magazines. They worked great. The content adapts nicely.

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 6:13:42 AM PST
Chaz Hall says:
The reviews for TIME magazine on the Amazon site are horrible. What mags have you subscribed to?

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 6:47:37 AM PST
2Okies says:
IMO, I like the size of my Kindle screen. I admit, when I first got mine, I wondered if it would be too small. However, the ability to change the font to what I'm comfortable with reading, makes every book exactly like I like. As I read, I don't even think twice about the screen size, and just get into the book I'm reading. I don't want to carry around a computer. I'm on one of them all day. My Kindle is for relaxing and recreation, and completely away from the glare of the computer screen I have to look at all day. I love it just the way it is. As a matter of fact, since I've used my Kindle extensively, I think a bigger screen would be tiresome to hold, and difficult to read. Especially to carry around, and be inconspicious reading - such as at the doctor's office, on a bus or subway, etc. The Kindle is small, and stays out of everyone's way.

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 6:55:42 AM PST
Chaz Hall says:
It may be great for books, but what about periodicals, magazines and newspapers? Seems a little small, but without being able to hold one its hard to know.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2009 9:19:00 AM PST
Meemo says:
C Hall, the beauty of the Kindle is you can order it, try it for 30 days, and if it doesn't fill your needs you can return it. Me, I love it for reading books. Periodicals that are picture-heavy or table/chart/graphics-heavy won't be as good (although with the higher grayscale on the K2 the pictures will be better, but still b&w). I read my local newspaper on the computer. Magazines, I still buy those because the pictures are an important part of most of the magazines I read.
But if you mostly read books - Kindle is fabulous.

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 9:27:43 AM PST
Pamela says:
C.H. - Just because the reviews for a given mag are bad doesn't mean the format for Kindle is bad. It could be that the content they have included - as with one I ordered - was insufficient, IMO. Periodicals read great on my Kindle. Do you have one?

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 9:37:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2009 9:46:38 AM PST
Chaz Hall says:
I dont have a kindle, considering one. The kindle store has like 10 magazines available, at least thats all I see in the store. I haven't seen many positive reviews. My gut feeling is the device is a book reader, not a true doecument device. Which, would be understandable since amazon is a bookseller first.

The b/w screen doesnt bother me in the least.

Additionally, print magazines are starting to move to electronic formats only. PC Magazine printed its last edition in January.

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 1:07:26 PM PST
Pamela says:
The thing is, it's not the reader [i.e. Kindle] that's at issue with the mags. When the publishers decide on content it's what they leave out that generates the negative reviews. I gave a bad one on RD because the meat of RD is effectively missing. It's not a Kindle thing it's a "where's the meat" thing. I know what RD content is supposed to be and it just wasn't there. Other than that, I loved being able to read it on Kindle. Also, the New Yorker was missing some of the cartoons. I love the cartoons and could have dinged them for it but chose not to since I'm hoping they'll up the ante once they get their feet wet. Out of the box it was still great, just wanted more from it. But then, I wrote the book [figuratively] on wanting more. I am THE original High Maintenance Woman. Before Harry met Sally I was out there ordering everything the way she did and more, so you can't really judge things by me, altogether.

Don't want for more until you've tried a Kindle. I bought mine with the intention of sending it back and now... ...I will never be without one, Bezos willing.

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 1:13:20 PM PST
Chaz Hall says:
Since I am not an avid book reader, I'm not convinced the K is for me. And I do understand the formatting problems by the publisher, but if the Plastic Logic puts out a good product, Kindle could hev a problem on their hands with readers like myself. And its more than just reading, its being able to have portable documents at meetings, etc. So far, the magazine publishers just aren't porting to the Kindle, and its likely a screen size issue.

The new Kindle looks sweet, just wish they made one for everyone so to speak.

Good to talk with you.

chaz

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 1:16:28 PM PST
Pamela says:
The Kindle is what it is, and it's not for everyone. I love mine but then I'm not you. Good to talk with you too.

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 1:41:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2009 1:42:44 PM PST
I deleted my post last night because this forum wouldn't take the whole URL. Here it is again, broken into 3 lines. It is a pertinent article to this topic.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do
command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=software&articleId
=9128105&taxonomyId=18&intsrc=kc_top

Posted on Feb 19, 2009 1:53:33 PM PST
Chaz Hall says:
The link is not working.............
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2007
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation) by Amazon.com
4.2 out of 5 stars   (7,997)