Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

Showing 1-10 of 4,837 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on November 23, 2011
I've had my Touch for almost a day now, and it's pretty awesome. I'm not a big reviewer, but I figured several people may be in a similar position as I was yesterday, so here we go...

I'm definitely an avid reader. Actually, as I type this, I have roughly 1000 books sitting on a wall of shelves behind me. E-readers have always intrigued me, but I've never felt like they were worth $199 or more; however, when the Kindle Fire was announced, I thought they had released the Kindle for me.

I watched video reviews, "hands-on" videos, read numerous reviews, etc. I was pretty sure that I wanted a Fire, but as I thought about it, I wasn't convinced that the Fire really provided me with access to anything that I couldn't do on my phone (HTC Inspire 4g). Other than a bigger screen, the Fire was actually pretty limited (for my purposes). I mean, I would only be able to use the browser and watch videos in areas with WiFi (i.e. at home, at work, or at retail location with WiFi). If I'm at home, I'll probably just watch videos on my tv and access the internet on my desktop or my laptop. At work I'm too busy for the Fire to get much use. And other than the occasional trip to Starbucks (and by occasional, I mean like once a month), I don't really make use of hot spots.

SOO...I decided the Fire didn't really justify the extra money for something I already have access to through my phone, laptop/desktop, or tv. This caused me to run the gambit of reviews for the Kindle Touch and the Kindle Keyboard. Best Buy was advertising the Kindle Keyboard 3G (with ads) for $89, so price wasn't really a distinguishing feature for me. My thoughts:

Touch:
- Kindle Touch is full-on touchscreen, and based on video reviews, it looked a little laggy
- Kindle Touch will probably drive me nuts with fingerprints/smudges
- Kindle Touch seems like a digress in touchscreen technology (like using a late 90s ATM)
- Kindle Touch doesn't have physical buttons for page turns, which seemed like it would be a negative
- The $99 doesn't have 3G, so I'd be limited to Wifi
- Highlighting and note-taking seems like it would be difficult on a laggy screen
- Looking up words will probably be easier

Keyboard:
- Kindle Keyboard has a decent keyboard and physical page turn buttons
- Kindle Keyboard has strong support through reviews (not many people don't love it)
- The Best Buy sale lets you have free 3G for cheap
- Fingerprints/smudges won't be an issue

After considering all of this, I went to Best Buy absolutely intending on buying a Kindle Keyboard. I got there, and of course, they had demo models of both. I figured, "What the heck...might as well make sure I like the Keyboard more."

I played with both for over an hour. I read books, made notes, made highlights, looked up words, went to the menu, back to a book, back to the menu. I went forward through a few pages. I went back through the same pages. I did everything I thought I would normally do while reading. My decision?
- The Kindle Touch touchscreen does have a slight delay, but it's definitely not a late 90s ATM. It's a delay, but just long enough for you to demonstrate a slight bit of patience (and to be honest, if you're an avid reader, patience is probably a virtue you can easily put into practice. There's a reason you're reading a book and not watching a movie.)
- Highlighting/note-taking is actually much more convenient on the Touch. Just press where you want to start, wait a second, drag to where you want to stop, and click highlight. Much easier (in my opinion) than moving the cursor down to where you want to start with the d-pad, clicking enter, dragging the cursor to where you want to stop, and then clicking enter again.
- Note-taking is slightly more convenient on the Keyboard simply because you can just start typing (if you're not overly concerned about the exact line the note is attached to). If you are concerned about the location of your notes, then using the d-pad to move the cursor was not only inconvenient but also uncomfortable (I have pretty big hands, so doing all of this one-handed required me to contort my thumb in a very odd way to use the d-pad).
- I didn't really like the keyboard on the Keyboard. The buttons are very heavy, so you have to give them a decent push to register a keystroke. Also, the qwerty layout is not a true qwerty layout, so beware of that. I had to be very conscious of the keys I was pushing otherwise I ended up with notes like: "The Kimdle keynoard is very mice." VERY ANNOYING (especially if you take a ton of notes...which I do).
- The page turn button on the Keyboard was very annoying. The page turn button on the demo model gave two very audible clicks when I pressed it. The clicks were distracting, taking me "out" of the book after every page.
- After thinking about it, the free 3G wasn't a huge benefit. I could only think of a few scenarios where it would have been useful: 1) I'm somewhere with no WiFi and I've read everything on my Kindle and I'm absolutely going to die unless I read a book right then (which I could easily do on my phone, which DOES have 3G...not free, but it'd resolve this scenario). 2) I'm reading somewhere and I get an urge to share something via Twitter/Facebook. No 3G, no sharey sharey. Yet, again, if I ABSOLUTELY felt the urge to share something, I have a phone in my pocket that is fully capable of accomplishing this task.

Overall, I was almost dumbfounded that I preferred the Touch over the Keyboard. I actually delayed my purchase and took my wife to the store and had her play with both to see if I was just crazy. She agreed: the keyboard on the Keyboard is poorly designed, the clicking is annoying, and the screen on the Touch is actually pretty incredible. (Edit: The clicking page-turn buttons on the Keyboard may be confined to the demo unit I used. I played with another Keyboard at another Best Buy and there was no clicking. Regardless, the tapping/swiping on the Touch is a much more natural movement for me.)

So far, I love my Touch. It will definitely be more convenient than carrying my normal 3-4 books around in my backpack.

For those on the fence, I hope this helped.

UPDATE: Just a few additional notes worth mentioning (notes as of 12/24...my Touch has had a little over a month of use now):
- (This may only apply to those who are thinking of purchasing their first Kindle) While the ability to make notes and highlights directly on the device is very handy, a huge time-saver, and a pretty awesome convenience, the dictionary function is by far one of the more intuitive features. It is incredibly useful to simply touch an unknown word and have the definition pop up. I first noticed the convenience of this option when I literally pushed on an unknown word in a paperback book, an action that was observed by my wife, resulting in: 1) my wife laughing hysterically, 2) me feeling a little ridiculous, and 3) I still didn't known what the word meant. I'm definitely spoiled.
- For those not willing to flip through the additional comments: the ad-supported version is actually pretty useful. I've purchased a few Amazon Local deals and used one Amazon e-book coupon during the course of this month. (As I mentioned in one of my replies, the ads may not be as useful to those who live outside of a major metropolitan area.)
- The battery life is pretty legit. On 12/21, I decided to charge my Kindle for the first time since 11/22. A complete month of fairly heavy use, and I probably had at least a few more days to go, if not a full week, before I really NEEDED to charge it. WiFi was off for the majority of that time, but I'm not too sure why you'd need WiFi on when you're not downloading new content.
- Fingerprints have not been an issue at all. The only slightly negative thing I've noticed with the screen is the occasional hair stuck in the edge of the screen. Nothing major, but it is a little annoying.
- I love my Touch. I use it daily, sometimes for a few hours at a time. I find myself almost loathing reading a hard-copy book, primarily for no other reason than having to hold the book open (Ugh...), and turn the pages (Moan...), and find a bookmark (Groan...).

Maybe I'm just lazy.

Regardless, the Touch is awesome. Probably the best $100 I've spent in a while.

UPDATE (06/17/2012):
I still love my Touch. I use it a little less now because the novelty of e-ink has subsided a bit, but it still gets a fair amount of use. My Touch is my go-to when I'm reading for "enjoyment." When I'm reading for work, I still prefer paper, pen, highlighters, and sticky-notes.

As far as new features/updates:
- The latest update definitely sped things up. Page turns are almost instant, flipping back to the menu is almost instant, and typing is almost instant. Amazon has included a predictive text feature that I don't find particularly useful, but others may like it (the predictive text has a slight delay, making it faster to just type your words out).
- Highlighting has been improved drastically, both in speed and functionality. Highlighting no longer has a delay; it pretty much highlights what you drag your finger over WHEN you drag your finger over it. Also, they added the ability to highlight across pages (BIG improvement).
- Not an update but...: I wasn't aware that you can email .pdfs to your Kindle email address, and Amazon will convert the .pdf to Kindle format for you. I've used this several times to convert professional journal articles to Kindle format. I haven't noticed any major formatting issues. I've had a few with page headers lumped in with the actual text, but other than that, nothing too distracting has popped out. I would imagine .pdfs with several graphs/charts wouldn't convert very well, but you never know...
- I love having the ability to read samples from books I may find interesting. Most samples are the first chapter of the book, but occasionally you'll get the first two or three chapters. I've found a few really awesome books this way and avoided several bad books.
- The last update made the "Go to..." menu function as a hover menu with an embedded table of contents. Prior to the update, "Table of Contents" was an option on the "Go to..." menu, which meant if you wanted to access the ToC you had to tap the top of the screen, tap "Go to...", tap "Table of Contents", and then you would get sent back to ToC at the beginning of the book (i.e. if you didn't know where you were in the book, you just lost your page). Now the ToC is a scrolling list that "hovers" over what you're reading. This was a minor update that I have found very useful. (However, the ToC hover menu is NOT collapsible, so if a book has a really long ToC, then you could find yourself scrolling for an exhaustively long time to get to chapters toward the end of the book. For example, the ESV Study Bible ToC lists every chapter of every book of the Bible, so if you need to access something in the NT, you get to scroll through a list that includes every chapter (Gen. 1, Gen. 2, Gen. 3, etc.) of every book (Gen., Exo., Lev., etc.). VERY annoying.)
- Landscape mode IS an option now. Not sure if it's only with certain books or not, but it's an option on all of the books I've tried it on (30 books or so).

As I said above, I still love my Touch. The battery life is still amazing, it's definitely more convenient than lugging several books around in my bag, and the screen looks and feels incredible. As more and more libraries seem to be opting toward digital lending, I think e-ink readers will only improve in convenience and versatility.

Still the best $100 I've spent in years.
126126 comments5,188 of 5,266 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Please watch my video review here. Thanks for watching and I hope it helps.

General observations:

- Controlling/manipulating things on the screen is so much easier with the touch screen-it's a lot more intuitive!

- Athough I don't show it in the video, you can swipe instead of tap to turn pages. You may also use your left hand to page forward by tapping slightly more in from the left edge. It works quite well.

- Looking up a word is as easy as pressing on that word. No more fumbling with a 5-way controller. You can additionally highlight blocks of text quite easily by just swiping over it.

- Kindle Touch also has the new X-Ray feature which is really neat. It can be interesting to see a summary listing of facts from a given book about a person mentioned for instance. The Kindle Keyboard does not include this feature.
221221 comments6,482 of 6,658 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2011
I have used family members' e-readers and even gifted a couple Kindles in the past couple years. But I could never justify plunking down for an e-reader for myself until now. The reasons are many, including convenience. But the biggest probably was the savings factor, when I learned about the new Amazon Prime program. Below is a summary of the decision points I considered. Hope it is helpful to you in your decision:

Cheaper than Paper - When you consider that Kindle-edition books are often the least expensive format on Amazon, even for new releases, if you read regularly it's a no-brainer. But that's the simple math. There are lots of low cost or free books available. And most impressive is the new Prime Lending program. With a Prime membership, one can borrow relatively new best sellers for free (up to 1 per month). Figuring one does this six times a year at $9.99 each, that alone covers the cost of the device over a 2-3 year life. Throw in library borrowing, which varies by area but is fairly broadly available, plus friend book lending for up to 14 days, and there are even more cost saving options.

Convenience - When traveling with paper books, I always fretting bringing along a book I was close to finishing as then I would need a second as well. With the Kindle, I always have all my books in one place. I also find myself reading in places I otherwise wouldn't: At doctor appointments, having my car serviced, waiting in the car for someone. The Kindle is so easy to bring with me that I nearly always have it.

3G or WiFi - This was a tough decision for me as I don't travel enough to alone justify the 3G $50 upcharge. But when I considered the convenience of being able to buy/borrow books anywhere in the world, it became tempting. Add in the new Prime Lending program, where one can't have more than one at a time, and it made even more sense. I hope that Amazon Kindle newspaper and magazine subscriptions become more affordably priced. One other benefit to 3G is being able to wiki (works great with new X-ray functionality) or otherwise lookup anything on the go, as well as keeping Whispersync updated. One change, as noted by others, is that this latest generation of Kindles does not allow for web browsing on the 3G conneciton (WiFi only). Not a huge deal for me since the web browser is so rudimentary, but it would be nice to have basic functionality when traveling abroad. For me it was worth the $50 one-time payment for the convenience.

Special offers - Because the special offers are limited to when the Kindle is turned off and the menu screen, it's not very intrusive. Also, I don't mind getting good deal offers right to the Kindle. Again, the 3G is nice here because I can act on it right then and there rather than waiting until I have a wifi connection. I figure I'm bombarded with ads on my TV, the Internet, and everywhere in between. So if it's something I don't care about, I just tune it out.

Touch - Based on my experience using family members Kindle 3s, it is a big improvement over the joystick if you do any text entry and nicer in general for navigation. It also just makes basic reading enjoyable and brings Kindle back up to the competitive landscape (B&N, Sony, etc all offer touch). The dual touch, not on the competition yet, enables pinch to zoom, very nice for PDFs and other documents. You can also tap on a word for the xray feature and look it up instantly. Plus that saved physical keyboard space results in a smaller device. One feature on the competition (rhymes with Book) is the physical page turn buttons as a non-touch option. I think this would be a nice add to the Kindle Touch so that one has the option to turn pages either through touch or side buttons.

Tablet or e-reader - I debated this long and hard. In the end I wanted the long battery life and ease on the eyes of the e-reader. The much lighter weight and size makes the Kindle practical for long reading periods (try that on an iPad or Galaxy). The lower cost and tight Amazon integration were also top of mind. I will take the plunge on a tablet over the next year but plan to use it more for media consumption and internet browsing. And for games for the kids. I like the fact that I can give it to my young daughter to read books in bed without worrying that she's playing games or watching videos. Plus, at this price point and per my notes above, the Kindle pays for itself so it's not an "either or" decision.

Case or Sleeve - The Kindle Touch has a wonderful feel to it naked in hand, so I choose not to get an attached cover and instead get the Built neoprene sleeve. As a side note, the Built sleeve is terrific, albeit a bit overpriced for what it is. I'm fairly careful with my electronics and also do not put my smartphone under a cover. For gifts to more accident-prone members of my family, I opted to get them the cover. I've also read very positive reviews of the Kindle Lighted Cover, which will be released soon.

On the negatives, this edition surprisingly does not include an AC adapter. It does come with a USB cable. Most newer smartphones come with USB AC adapters so it's not really a big deal for me. I also can simply plug in the included USB cable into a computer to charge and I'm good for what appears to be a very long time (haven't had it long enough to call but the claimed 2 months seems reasonable). On the bright side, I bet most people will make do without buying an additional charger, thus saving landfills millions of chargers over the next few years.
1313 comments863 of 898 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2011
This is my first Kindle and first ereader. I've been using iphone, ipad2 and am very tech savy. After reading some of the reviews I was a little hesitant to pull the trigger on this purchase, but figured I would just return it if I didn't like it. I bought the version that has special offers. I've had it for two days and spent about 5 hours reading. Here are some thoughts regarding complaints in other reviews.

1) I have not accidentally turned the page ever! The screen is depressed about 1/8 inch from the bevel and unless you have some kind of death grip on this thing, or are a complete clutz than you're not going to touch the screen unintentionally.

2) Who cares if you can't plug it into the wall, plug it into your computer. If you really need to plug it into the wall then buy the adapter. I'd rather that Amazon charge less for the product then include a bunch of crap I don't need.

3) It is not uncomfortable and my hand doesn't cramp at all when holding it (mostly reading on the couch). It is so light that I can't see how it would ever be uncomfortable unless you were thinking about it because you read it in other reviews or because you were looking for something to be wrong. Also I have not unintentionally turned it off.

4) I read one review about the advertisements being inappropriate for young poeple and several others that were annoyed by the ads. If you don't want the ads then pay the extra money, if you're offended by Dove soap, Amazon or AT&T, then lock yourself in the house and never leave it. One ad bar shows up at the bottom of your menu screen and when you hit the power button an ad shows up as your screensaver. You never have to skip through an ad to get to your content, and ads don't show up when you're reading.

5) I haven't used this to read PDFs, and don't plan on it. I wouldn't expect it to work very well based on the size of the screen and the fact that most PDFs are built for 8.5x11 inch paper.

6) People are writing 1 star reviews who have never even used the Kindle Touch!!!

I love it so far. My main use is to read books and blogs. The screen is incredibly sharp and the touch screen/keyboard is extremely intuitive. There is a little delay, but it is not annoying. For $99, I'm not sure what else people want. Oh it also has your web browser so I can check my gmail from it and the display looks great when navigating gmail. I'm glad I bought this and figured that people writing reviews up here will whine about anything.
1111 comments485 of 509 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Touch just joined out 'old' third generation Kindle (my own), the new a 4th generation Kindle and, since yesterday, the Fire - we are a 3 kids household so the more, the merrier :)

We like the Touch and, more importantly, our 9th grader son is extremely happy with it because, while as good a reader as the other 2, he's more of a smart phone/tablet user person and he prefers interacting directly with the screen rather than pushing buttons.

We all like the new Kindles mainly because they are smaller and lighter and because I wasn't using the keyboard much on my 3d gen anyway so the extra body required by the physical keyboard wasn't justified. I am still keeping my existing Kindle 3 because a family of 5 can use quite a few Kindles but I welcome the new keyboardless designs for the reason I stated above.

KINDLE TOUCH vs. KINDLE (4th gen) vs. KINDLE KEYBOARD (3d gen) - which one to pick?

It's not a 'who wins' context, really. Anyone who is a passive reader (like me) should welcome the new models because they are smaller and lighter but with the same screen size. Those who annotate a lot should probably get the 'keyboard'.

I find the text equally sharp on all three models but graphics appear to be more crisp on K3. Page turns... They're fast enough for me on all. Battery life was never a concern on Kindles. With Wi-Fi off they keep going for weeks. The Touch is as battery efficient as the other models.

And, speaking of 'charge', the new (keyboardless) Kindles comes without a dedicated charger. It's no big deal because you can always charge it off a computer or use just about any generic USB charger or you can buy Amazon's branded charger separately but it would have been nice if one was included.

With the display size/quality practically indistinguishable, see how they compare below. Note that I do not include the Fire in my comparison. The Fire is mainly a tablet that, like most tablets, would allow you to read books, including those purchased at Amazon but it's not a dedicated reader.

- KINDLE 4 TOUCH: no keyboard, speakers (text to speech, MP3 player), 2 buttons only, no dedicated charger, slightly larger than the 'plain' Kindle 4th gen.
- KINDLE 4th GEN: no keyboard, no speakers, buttons, no dedicated charger, smallest and lightest of them all.
- KINDLE 3th GEN: keyboard, speakers (text to speech, MP3 player), dedicated charger, largest and heaviest.

Both my 4th gen Kindles came with ads. They don't bother me at all because ads never appear while reading. You only get ads when the Kindle goes to sleep (full screen) or something at the bottom when in a menu mode.

TOUCH SPECIFICALLY

The Touch is a reader, not a tablet so no one should expect the level of interaction you get from a tablet. There's no such thing as 'pinch zoom' for example. The touch interaction is confined to mostly page turning, bringing up menus of choices and browsing Amazon's bookstore. It's responsive enough for the above and the bottom of the screen, where the virtual keyboard appears, seems to be especially sensitive.

Other Touch-specific feature is the ability to highlight any word in the text you are reading, triggering the word dictionary definition. Finally, the X-Ray features that allows you to search deep inside a book and get interesting insights on characters and so forth is a Touch-only feature but none of the books I have were X-Ray enabled so I can't comment on it at this time.

I would also like to note that the browser, page numbers, the ability to borrow or lend books are NOT Touch specific features. All Kindles, at least 3d generation and beyond have them. It's also worth stating that no one should expect to use a Kindle reader as their main browser or, if they are a 'speaker' version as their MP3 player. These are nice to have features but what you get with these Kindles is a READER with some tiny bells and whistles.

MY RATING

Amazon's rating for 'I love it' is 5 stars and that's what this Touch gets. 15 months ago when I bought my first Kindle I was a little skeptical. I was concerned mainly about Amazon's proprietary format at the time but now I know that just about any electronic document that's not DRMed can be brought on the Kindle (there are many free format conversion apps) and read on it. I love Kindles because they allow me to carry dozens of books wherever I go without having to stuff my travel bags. And they allow me to read the books the way books are read, without the eye strain that I get when reading on a laptop or tablet screen.

If my first Kindle wasn't 'love at first sight', our second and this one are.
66 comments215 of 224 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2011
I want to mention something VERY IMPORTANT for prospective buyers. The Kindle Touch 3G only allows free 3G web browsing for Wikipedia and the Amazon store. The experimental browser does not work on the Touch via 3G for other websites and for checking e-mail and the like. You need a Wi-Fi connection for that.

The facts about the 3G not being useable for web browsing has been discussed to death on the Kindle forums and many, many other websites since September 28. However, many people are still not aware of this. Amazon has not sent out any e-mails about this or clearly explained this limitation on it's product description page.

I chose the 3G because I do a lot of extended traveling where I do not have a Wi-Fi connection. This 3G version allows me to buy books, apps and use Wikipedia to look up information whenever and from wherever I am. If you want the Touch for it's easy interface and can wait until you are at a Wi-Fi hotspot or on your home network, save yourself the $50 and buy the $99 Touch Wi-Fi.

See first comment for website links about restricted web browsing.

UPDATE 11-25-11: If you bought a Kindle Touch or Fire and aren't real happy with it, don't be in a big hurry to send it back(unless you're asking for a replacement). You have until Jan 31 to return it. In the meantime you can still enjoy it through the holidays and beyond. I have a Touch and a Fire right now and if I decide against the Fire that certainly isn't going back until sometime after Jan 25th. We're having too much fun with it! This would apply to the $79/$109 Kindle as well if you bought it more recently(pretty much anything bought through or fulfilled by Amazon). You can check "Your Orders" in "Your Accounts" to verify that the return window is until January 31.

UPDATE 1-25-12: I have owned a K3, $79 Kindle, a Touch and the Fire and had all of them at the same time to compare against each other for over a month. There have been lots of other reviews you can read for the minor details, but I'd like to just leave you with my journey through the Kindle market in the search for the best possible e-reader:

"I never owned a K2 but I did own the K3(Kindle Keyboard) for a while back in August, 2011. It was the first Kindle I bought. As I was new to Kindle it was hard to get used to the controls. I'm used to my iPhone and other touch devices and the K3 seemed like a technological step backwards for me. I hated the key pad. It just took up a lot of space and made the unit heavier. So I returned it.

We then proceeded to purchase a Kindle $79, a Kindle Touch and finally a Fire. The e-ink screen on the $79 Kindle and Touch is no way as good as the K3. It may be satisfactory and look very good to millions of people but I can tell you without a doubt that it is inferior. It was a joy to read on the K3 for the short time I had it. So much like a real book.

Now, the Fire is another story. Never having had a tablet, the Fire is amazingly fun especially if you happen to be an Amazon Prime member. No one can put that thing down at our house whether it's because they are playing a game or need it to watch a movie at a friend's house. I love that little $199 play thing and if I have to get rid, it will sort of feel liked the dog died; it's almost like a family member. BUT, is it good for reading, even with the black text on white background, white text on black background and sepia options? A resounding NO! If you read on the Fire for 10 minutes and then switch to the K3 or Touch the text will look black on some lines and BLUE on others. What's that all about! For book reading the Fire messes with the cones in your eyes and that can't be a good thing. But it is a heck of a good little entertainment tablet that even with it's shortcomings and despite the problems people are having getting it to do what they want it to, is a great deal.

Anyway, so my search took me back to pick up one of the $89 Kindle Keyboard 3G's being offered around the holidays. Now I love it, love it, love it! So what if it has a keyboard taking up a lot of space at the bottom. So what if it is heavier then the $79 Kindle or Touch. It is SO much easier to read on it for longer periods of time(darker ink, lighter background, no weird refreshing flashing--let no one fool you into believing they are all the same e-inks quality, the K3 is the best!) and it has excited my passion for reading again in a way that the wonky Touch did not(turning itself off seemingly by itself, not responding properly to touch, skipping pages on a whim, some words darker than others on a page, ghosting). I am so glad I picked one up when I did. I have FREE 3G when I need to check some e-mail, I can read reviews of new books on the train, I can listen to audiobooks, I can play music anywhere and everywhere. And with a $12 very light leather case and a free Verso light(for after dark) that I got with my Visa rewards point I can read, read, read to my heart's content. I am not a happy camper, I am THE HAPPY CAMPER. Unless you have tried all the devices many of you will not know what you are missing out on. Friends will see me in Starbucks using the old, now last generation model and feel sorry for me. And I will say, "Yes, I have this old thing" and maybe they will buy me a free cup of coffee out of sympathy. And inside I will be happy and content knowing what they do not(even if they read a 1000 reviews), that I have got the last of the good Kindle e-readers at a great price."
3636 comments851 of 912 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon November 15, 2011
I tried the first generation Kindle but didn't really care all that much for it. While I loved the screen, it just didn't feel right, and remember thinking this would be perfect if it had a touchscreen.

When the Touch was announced I ordered this along with a Fire with the thought that the Fire would be for me, and I'd give the Touch as a gift. The Touch got here this morning and I opened it up just to make sure it was OK. It looked so nice that I carefully peeled off the plastic just to try it out for a few minutes. After all, one wouldn't want to give a gift that didn't work, right? Well, it's now been a few hours and several chapters of a few books later. I'm keeping it. A second one will be on order for Christmas giving.

Why keep the Touch when I also have a Fire? If you skip over the obvious answer (I just love electronic gadgets) the e-ink on the Touch is much better in terms of clarity and lack of glare. Not that the Fire is bad. It has a very clear screen, but there is some glare. The Touch is better for reading under all lighting situations, and remains highly readable in direct sun. I can't imagine getting better screen clarity than this for black and white text.

I also tried reading it while on a treadmill (a situation that usually gives me a headache when I tried it using the kindle app on my Touchpad) and it was quite pleasant. Best of all is that I can zoom up the text size so I can read it while it is on the treadmill reading stand (it's too far away for me to read hard copy unless it's in HUGE type. Getting old is _not_ fun).

But the strength of the Touch is also it's biggest problem for me - black and white. I read several magazines each month and reading them in B/W is lackluster at best. Magazines are more enjoyable on the Fire, especially publications such as Wired.

The touch interface is great. So far its been very smooth and glitch free. Love the feel of the screen - has a bit of texture to it. I have to say, however, that I am a bit concerned about the screen longevity. The Touch overall feels a bit fragile and less "solid" than the Fire. I'm not deducting any stars for that since it's just an impression, but it will be interesting to see if the durability of the Touch screen is better/worse/same as the Fire (and vice versa). I'll be getting a case for it for sure since it's going to be getting bumped about.

I'll be using the Fire mainly at home and for reading material that works best in color (and, of course, video - need to relax the mind with mindless entertainment as well!). The Touch will be living in my briefcase for reading while commuting (I take the bus and subway, so lots of time to read) and for killing time prior to an appointment. The longer battery life and smaller size makes it a better traveling companion than the Fire. I don't have the Touch 3G version, so I'll have to make sure I keep a few books on my to-be-read stack so I don't run out when I'm out of wi-fi range.

Granted, if I could only have one device, I'd stay with the Fire since that offers more entertainment options, albeit at twice the price. But the cost is not excessive, so I treated myself to both. With a Fire and a Touch I've got all bases covered (until, of course, the next glittery gee-whiz piece of electronics comes out...).
66 comments165 of 175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2011
I'm a new Kindle user who has waited until something like the Touch came out. I'm writing this from the perspective of an iPad user (Kindle app).

THE DISPLAY. The e-ink display lag requires some getting used-to, and I find that reading in low light is a bit straining because of the grayish background. In addition, you have to live with either a black flash upon every page turn (pick "full refresh" in the settings menu), or accept that the text occasionally shows some artifacts, looking as if the rear letters of a newspaper were shining through. Now these things sound like showstoppers, but you haven't seen SHARP until you've looked at this display next to the ubiquitous LCD. If you have enough light, reading on e-ink is like lotion for the eyeballs. Yes, it's that good.

TOUCHSCREEN. The arguments pro and con keyboard will never run out - it's a personal preference. I happen to believe that a physical keyboard is rather excessive in a mobile device intended for consuming content. If need be, I can type pretty well with the Kindle's virtual keyboard, although not as well as with the iPhone, as it lacks an autocorrect feature and the e-ink delay makes it awkward. But on the plus side, navigation is easy: tap or swipe sideways for back/forward, swipe up/down for chapter skip (on some books), tap top for menu or upper right corner to set a bookmark. Using the dictionary is a joy (good for us non- English speakers or with 19th- century literature!): just hold the word for a second and the definition shows up. I even found an undocumented feature: put two fingers on the screen and spread/pinch them to make the font bigger/smaller, just as if manipulating a picture on a smartphone! Clearly, we're dealing with a multi- touch screen, and it stands to hope that Amazon will add more gestures (perhaps to bring up the table of contents, etc.).

THE ADS. Let me get this straight: I can't stand advertisements, to the point that I browse with Adblock. Really, so why did I pick this ad- supported Kindle? Two reasons: (1) - it brings the price into the sub- Franklin sweet spot; low enough that you'll bring this to the beach and leave it on the chair, or just shrug and buy a new one if you break it. (2) - I heard that the ads had good offers and weren't intrusive. I can confirm this: the ads are either geographically targeted ("50% off dental services in the Upper West side", just where I happen to live...) or online special offers ("1 book out of 100 for $1"). Also, unlike one animated product photo here on Amazon might suggest, ads don't rotate or blink: every time you switch off the Kindle, a fullscreen ad shows, and when you switch it on again, the main screen has a 5/8" portion where you can "tap for details". That's it. There are no animations (good thing e-ink can't handle that!), and no ads within the books as promised.

THE VERDICT. I was tempted to subtract a star over Amazon's insistence on not supporting the ePub standard and forcing their thing on libraries which already have a vendor- independent eBook lending architecture. But.. I look at this little marvel and can't help but think that this is the future of books: it's a cheap, fantastic device with one purpose only, and Amazon is bringing it to the masses like no other. I love to switch it on and see my last page up; no codes to enter (it has that feature but why bother), no autorotate to turn off, no brightness to adjust, no facebook alerts to interrupt me, etc. It's simply - a book.
22 comments69 of 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 19, 2011
So I'm sitting here lol and shaking my head at the one and two star reviews. People, this is an E-READER!! It's not a tablet, it's not made for surfing the web. The people that are giving one stars because it doesn't come with a wall adapter? Seriously? That's not rating the device itself. Pay $10 for a separate adapter OR use the provided USB cable and plug it into your computer. They can't hold it with one hand and have to turn the page with the other hand?? lol

Ok, so here is my review: I LOVE THE NEW KINDLE TOUCH 3G!!

I upgraded from the K3 and have had no complaints. I have WiFi on all the time and my battery life is the same as before which I very rarely have to charge it even with the WiFi on constantly.

I can read and turn the page with the SAME hand. It's not uncomfortable for me to hold it for long periods of time.

The e-ink is the same as the K3 so no problems there.

I use my computer to charge it (when needed) so I use the USB that came with the my Kindle so no adapter needed, but if I do want to use the wall charger, I use the adapter that came with my previous Kindle.

It's smaller then the K3 which is a plus, the screen is the same size. It's touch screen so really there is no need to have anything else on the front of the Kindle as other reviewers stated they would like.

It doesn't rotate landscaping but that is no issue for me because I read books the normal way and I don't need the larger font.

It still have text to speech and it's actually easier to get to it through this reader than the previous K3 which I love as I do use that when I need hands free.

When on WiFi you can get online, but I hardly ever use this function as my main purpose of this is to READ BOOKS, not surf the web. If I wanted to surf the web at all times I would buy a tablet and pay money for it. OR use my phone. People, 3G is not a free service for anyone, even Amazon, so why would they want to continue paying for you to use it when you aren't paying for it??? And again, this is an E-READER, not a tablet.

Oh, should I give this a negative feedback because I haven't received my Lighted Kindle Touch cover yet? Hmm, yeah, again, this is a KINDLE review, not an accessory review.

Sorry, can't help it. Some people just amaze me at their ignorance in writing reviews. This version of the Kindle isn't for everyone, but at least write a review based upon the product itself WHEN YOU HAVE THE PRODUCT!! :)
66 comments104 of 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2011
Several years ago my wife bought me the original Kindle for my birthday. At first I didn't know what to think of it but I quickly grew to love it. After that I picked my wife up a Kindle 2, I bought a Kindle DX, later I replaced my original Kindle with a kindle 3 and recently my wife replaced her Kindle with a Kindle 3 with ads. In other words, I have owned or used 5 different Kindles before the Kindle Touch.

Physically it is smaller than the Kindle 3 but a slight bit thicker. The screen is recessed and looks almost like a matted photo. The minimal approach gives the device a more sophisticated, "modern" look. It is also easier to hold when reading.

The screen is exactly the same size as that of the Kindle 3 and the e-ink seems to be the same, yet it seems much brighter and easier to read. The e-ink jump from Kindle 2 to Kindle 3 was amazing so I was surprised at how much better the text appeared. Looking closer, the deepest black and the lightest "white" is almost identical on both screens. It seems the new Kindle takes advantage of the e-ink better than the older one or perhaps the resolution is slightly higher. Of course the screen layout helps here - having a larger percent of the device covered by the screen makes it seem larger while the framed appearance keeps your attention on the screen. As I noted in the review of the Kindle 3, the darker color surrounding the screen makes the lighter colors appear brighter - I would say having the almost black "mat" around the screen does much the same thing even though the main body of the new Kindle isn't any lighter than the old.

How good is the e-ink? I use reading glasses when I read paper books. I do not use reading glasses when I read the Kindle - the text is easier on my eyes than text on paper and easier for me to read.

Using the touch screen is very intuitive. The only little problem I have is the option to "turn pages" by dragging - If you think of turning pages in a book it makes perfect sense but for a paperless device it seems almost counter-intuitive to drag back to go forward and forward to go back. If there is an option to reverse this I haven't seen it. I much prefer just tapping anyway.

The touch options are very well done. What I mean is that the typical Kindle menus work just as you would expect but with a very intuitive touch system. The virtual keyboard actually works better than the little button keyboard on the Kindle 3 and is as easy as to use (i.e., less hitting wrong keys) as any virtual keyboard I've used and better than many.

A couple of quick points about this version - The ads are very unobtrusive - I don't even really notice them unless there is a great graphic or photo on the screen saver. You do not get ads while reading. One of the great things about the Kindle is the free 3G and yet I chose not to get it on this one. I have found that over 95% of the time I need to download something onto my Kindle I am already at a place that has wifi. I also have a portable "mifi" that I can use anywhere covered by Verizon. I doubt if I'll miss the 3G

Although Amazon has created new services for the Kindle (i.e., the ability to share books with friends and check out books from libraries) they haven't created new applications for the actual device. I am not complaining - as I said in a review I wrote for an older version of the Kindle, the Kindle is a one trick pony but it does this trick very well. I have tried several devices and have never seen a device that reads as cleanly and as gentle on my eyes as the Kindle. And the experience just gets better....
0Comment64 of 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse