Kindle Version of Harry Potter

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-66 of 66 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2011 10:00:26 AM PDT
You naive person.

1. So, a Library is less efficient at passing around an author's work many many times while only paying once. It is just slower.

2. Same for a person who pirates a book. One might want to see what it is like, and then buy it if it is good right? Same applies for both forms. The only diference is that you know that you are doing a wrong pirating a book and therefore are more likely to want to pay for it. If you get it from the library, you can read it for free and return it and you are a good person even though you never gave that author a penny.

There are two sides to the pirate library cover. Society and ignorance has hidden the other side.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2011 2:10:44 PM PDT
A. Schmitt says:
"This thing is great.

It was between the kindle 2 and the sony reader. I am glad I made this choice. My wife loves it, and it is getting HEAVY use.

I was a bit concerned before buying about the only amazon book option. Now I see that there is a way around things that is easy. If you can't find a book on Amazon (like the potter books - author was afraid of illegal copies getting out), you need only find a copy of the book that you can copy and paste into a text document. Then it is as simple as copy and paste onto the reader."

-Amazon K2 review by Jason L. Tocker

Sounds like you are referencing that you would pirate Harry Potter books... I also guess we are both ignorant gits...

So you say that is alright to pirate a book but not alright to rent it from the library, even though the library is more morally correct then pirating?

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 4:08:17 PM PDT
Piracy and Libraries are both very similar. This is what I have been trying to say. Libraries should be stopped. Piracy should be stopped. Here is the thing. If you want to buy a particular book on paper, you go to chapters, you go to amazon.ca, you go to, etc etc. There are many options that include you paying for your entertainment. IF you wish to consume the content, you can go to the library and read it without providing the artist money, and this is also considered ok.

Now, pirating...... If you want a e-book, you go to the electronic distribution place. You can try a sample (like reading the first chapter in chapters), and then buy it. Now, wait. What happens if you cannot get a copy, but all your peers can get a copy because they read on paper? Well, there is the pirating option isn't there....

Sure there is a dark side of the internet. It is full of illegal stuff involving largely pirating people's works. It is sad, but it is also feed by people unable to find the content the want legally. They say I want book XXX. I can't get book XXX. Wait, I wonder if...... HA that was easy and free. Now if this person is a reasonable person, they will continue to purchase the works they want to consume in the future, but some people might want to continue to get all their content for free. And now pirating increases.

Pirating is not going away easily. Why feed it by making pirating the easiest method to obtain your content? Beats me. I can say that I have paid for about 50 titles in the Kindle in the last couple of years, but it makes me wonder why people will wine about not being able to get a book when it is soo easy to get. Go to the library and read it there if you want, but you are not doing any better for the writing industry.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 5:06:52 PM PDT
A. Schmitt says:
I see libraries as borrowing, and I see pirating as copying. Yes, they both cause "potential" revenue loss but they are two distinctly different things...

The Library:
Person A goes to a library and sees 1 copy of book called The Cute Kitten in stock. Person A decides to rent The Cute Kitten and takes it home. There is now 0 copies of The Cute Kitten at that library. Person B goes to the library one hour later with intentions to rent The Cute Kitten. Unfortunately Person B cannot rent that book as there isn't a copy available. Only Person A can read the book, and Person A must return the book in two weeks so Person B can read it.

Pirating:
Person A comes across 1 digital copy of The Cute Kitten and uploads it to the internet. Person B wants the book, so Person B downloads it from the internet as well as Person C, D, E, F, G. Now Person A, B, C, D, E, F, G can all read it at the same time, and most importantly they are all in permanent position of the book.

Posted on Aug 21, 2011 5:29:41 PM PDT
Interesting. I suppose difference of opinion is part of the democratic process, but it is just that I see the Library a slower less efficient version of pirating. The library will eventually let A, B, C, D, E, F, AND G read the book, but is limited to how many times it can go around. There are, however, many libraries.

I think what bothers me most is that the people that spend years working on a book can have it read in a library dozens of times for a single copy. This is considered ok, and happens through thousands of libraries throughout the country. It adds up, and revenu loss can be hard on writers especially (though I suppose not he HP author as much).

Pirating I view ALSO as bad BUT it seems authors push people to pirating sometimes. It is sad if you can pirate a copy but you can not buy a copy. Why not just let it up on digital copies. Then at least the people that want to buy your works can. The rest of the pirating world will continue to exist, but at least it is not helped along the way.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 4:40:22 AM PDT
George Wood says:
Harry Potter ebooks were supposed to be available via the Pottermore website in October. Now that October is here there's a message saying they wouldn't be coming until 2012. The risk is that by the time they finally show up, no one will still want to read them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2011 11:28:18 AM PDT
DVD Fan says:
I thought these were coming out in e-reader versions this October/November. I guess I am wrong. It is rather odd that someone who created a world of magical things has closed her mind to real life magical things like the Kindle, iTouch, iPad and any other e-read devices. I usually read books when I travel and carrying BIG paperbacks vs. all on one small iTouch leaves Harry Potter out of my Hogwart's carryon bag.

Hope she changes her mind.

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 5:47:42 PM PDT
K. Kearns says:
They are delaying getting Pottermore itself out of the beta stage, so I'm not surprised the e-release of the books is delayed as well. It would have been great to have them available by Christmas, but I suppose that's not important to them - they know they have a built-in readership that will buy them whenever they manage to do it.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 12:14:20 AM PST
Honestly, I am frustrated that I cant read HP on the Kindle, but at the same time, I respect her decision, imagine if you wrote a book, and some people diagreed with what you were doing. They are her books, and she can do with them what she likes!

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 7:40:16 AM PST
blessed says:
My children have visual problems. This saddens me because my son really wants to read the books but the font and spacing makes it too difficult for him. We got the kindle for them then realized he cannot get Harry Potter. This technology is very beneficial for my kids, I hope they do become available in the near future!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 8:20:22 AM PST
I can understand the desire for traditional methods. How does she then justify Blur-Ray. Isn't the jump to movie a little bit more than Kindle/Nook? Tradition is not the whole answer even though it sounds good.

Posted on Jan 8, 2012 7:44:22 PM PST
I would think she would jump at the chance. After all--the books are like bricks and unwieldy to carry around. Plus, the text is small.

You can bet that if she put out e-book versions she would make more money than before, both with people who have vision problems and fans like me who can't carry around a brick.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2012 5:16:53 AM PST
Phoenix1 says:
There will be HP e-books from Sony when they get their e-books going. JK is working with them for Pottermore. I think Sony will have an exclusive once they come out.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 7:32:37 AM PST
H. Morton says:
Yes - I agree. My son has just been diagnosed with dyslexia and the font and size make it difficult to read. Yet he is absolutely mad about Potter and is desperate to read the books. I was hoping to download to kindle to make easier for him. Such a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 7:34:22 AM PST
H. Morton says:
Yes - I agree. My son has just been diagnosed with dyslexia and the font and size make it difficult to read. Yet he is absolutely mad about Potter and is desperate to read the books. I was hoping to download to kindle to make easier for him. Such a shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2012 12:05:33 PM PST
Sweden says:
As a dyslexic adult, I completely understand. What I don't understand is why J.K. Rowling insists e-books take away the experience of reading books, however, she is perfectly willing to make movies out of them. My nieces and nephews have never read the books, but instead have seen the movies. Her logic is faulty.

On the other hand, when I was younger and before dyslexia became as well known as it is today, my parents had me go to an occupational therapist a few days a week that has been invaluable in boosting my reading and writing skills. But of course, I'm sure you know all this. Best of luck with your son! And I hope he has the pleasure of reading the Harry Potter series soon.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  45
Total posts:  66
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter Hardcover Box Set (Books 1-6)
Harry Potter Hardcover Box Set (Books 1-6) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - October 1, 2005)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (464)