Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 21, 2010 2:38:53 AM PDT
S. Prescott says:
How can it be that the electronic version of a paperback book is $1.99 more expensive than the paperback!?! Amazon is truly making me regret purchasing their kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2010 4:54:16 AM PDT
Pat1954 says:
I agree...what is the point of having a Kindle if the books are more expensive to purchase? I am not a happy customer!!!!

Posted on Mar 26, 2010 11:43:28 AM PDT
readerbeader says:
Mmmmm,sounds like something cable TV did - get you hooked and then raised the price!! Very unhappy - twice Kindle owner

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 9:30:56 AM PDT
B. Burkhart says:
Well what happened because now the Kindle version isn't available??

Posted on Apr 2, 2010 12:55:02 PM PDT
I was wondering that, too! I have several books, all from Berkeley that I have been waiting for & they all no longer have a Kindle version listed.

Posted on Apr 15, 2010 3:06:54 PM PDT
its because of re-negotiations with the publishers due to the ipad.... amazon isn't changing their terms, and apple is offering a better deal...tons of kindle titles have been removed...

Posted on Apr 18, 2010 1:59:03 PM PDT
logn story short - publishers want to go to a new model "agency pricing" where they get to set the price of the book and booksellers i.e. amazon will not be able to discount the price. this was part of the agreement that steve jobs (apple) made with them prior to the release of the ipad. Amazon tried to stick to its goal of 9.99 new releases unless otherwise marked, but publishers basically came back and said, if you want to do that, then we won't provide a kindle version of the book until a few months after the release of the hardcover (windowing) - Amazon is still in negotion with penguin over the new contracts and therefore no books from penguin or its multiple subsidaries can currently be sold on Amazon

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 8:36:31 AM PDT
J. Gonzalez says:
OMG! I can't believe the book is not available for Kindle.... We pay a lot of money for the kindle and now lots of titles have been removed!!!! Unbelievable.....

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 6:16:28 PM PDT
Psyche says:
I am amazed that they are sending notes to us saying that the pre-orders are cancelled and no longer available on Kindle. If the Kindle isn't going to be able to get the new releases, we should get back some money on the Kindle.

Posted on Apr 20, 2010 6:30:31 PM PDT
I have always purchased the newest Nora Roberts/JD Robb book the first day it was published. When I got by Kindle I purchased it as soon as it was available to one click. Unless Penguin decides not to DISCRIMINATE against Kindle owners Nora will not be getting my money for this release. I feel bad for her but I refuse to go back to buying a DTB and lose the convenience of using my Kindle. I will eventually check the book out of the library or borrow it from someone. The same goes for Amanda Quick's Burning Lamp.

Posted on Apr 21, 2010 11:21:34 AM PDT
B. Mills says:
Price is higher now, you still can't share with friends like a paperback, so what is the incentive to using a kindle? They cancel a preorder without telling you--Library, here I come.

Posted on Apr 23, 2010 4:32:09 PM PDT
Kristel says:
I agree about high prices. I wanted to buy a certain book last week. Here are the prices : Hardcover 12.99, Kindle 9.99 and paperback 7.99
I agree it is absurd.
My old time fav authors in my must buy list, Im still getting them on paperback. But new authors in my must buy list and those I try out for the first time I'm getting on my Kindle. I got the Kindle because Im the type of person to buy mother load of books every year and I needed to cut down on the space I have for my bookshalves.

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 2:17:03 AM PDT
Count yourselves lucky that you don't live in Australia. The Kindle edition is listed at $17.16 for us :-(
I think my wife will be getting this in paperback ...

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 8:23:49 AM PDT
Janetcc says:
for goodness sakes, Penguin, Berkely and Roberts make a ton of money off these books, whatever version / price. Screw it, I'm going get a library card. Ms. Roberts and her publishers have made enough money off of me, I've stupidly bought 99% of her books, and mostly in hardcover. I'm kicking myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2010 12:44:23 PM PDT
I agree Janetcc. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that we're not going to buy the books we love because we've chosen to get these books digitally.

Posted on Apr 26, 2010 12:50:40 PM PDT
Maybe we should complain to the source.

readers@noraroberts.com

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2010 8:56:15 PM PDT
Janetcc says:
I did - last Friday (4/23). No response, not even an automated one, yet.

Posted on Apr 27, 2010 2:59:51 PM PDT
IamSamIam says:
I agree with Janetcc and A. Gilbert! Nora Roberts and her publisher are not getting my money! They should feel our displeasure. Well, library here I come...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2010 6:18:24 AM PDT
R. Assar says:
Hey everyone...this is not the authors fault. this is between penguin and kindle! and its really due to apple. they set the price structure with the publishers and then turned around and said that you had to have the same structure with all the ebook vendors. amazon got caught in the middle and is negotiating with us in mind to keep the prices down. so i wouldnt really fault nora roberts. she just as much a victim as we are!

Posted on Apr 28, 2010 8:03:42 AM PDT
I think that everyone should make sure and click on the 'I want to read this on my kindle' link. The more requests that Amazon has to show the demand for a product on their site, the more leverage they have to go back to the publisher and emphasize the number of books the publisher isn't selling because it's not offered on the kindle. Give Amazon the ammunition to argue with the publisher!

Posted on May 5, 2010 6:15:37 PM PDT
Sam says:
Check out this link from another discussion:
http://www.inquisitr.com/70850/jr-ward-charlaine-harris-not-available-on-kindle/
I wrote to Nora, Penguin and Amazon. Nora's folks forwarded it to Penguin who replied that they are trying to get it out to Amazon - basically. When I wrote back to their reply asking about their pricing structure for paperback and digital books being the same price or more they didn't even reply.
I'm sticking with Amazon, and I hope they win the digital price battle with these publishing giants who are raking it in on digital.
There is no way that a digital file should cost as much as a paperback. It's rediculous!! Go Amazon!

Posted on May 7, 2010 5:57:21 AM PDT
Greeneyes says:
I am seriously considering going to the nook. They have it available as well as a bunch of other books Kindle isn't offering right now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2010 11:54:16 AM PDT
T. Jackson says:
Dear Greeneyes
How long do you think it will be before the nook gets discriminated against the same as the Kindle. I happen to love apple products but I hate the way they do business. This lock out on the pricing should be protested to the limit. The authors should also get involved with the protest. I know Jayne Ann Krentz was upset when they were just delaying the digital release! This kind of stuff is worse just because of the economy right now. I would be more inclined to be loyal to publishers who weren't sticking it to us at a time like this.

Posted on Oct 9, 2010 3:36:24 PM PDT
I just sent an email to Penguin, saying that at $8.99 I didn't even consider buying Dean Koontz's Watchers, but at $4.99 I wouldn't have hesitated. I bought a used copy instead; no profit to them or the author. Why not email every publisher, each time you decide not to buy a Kindle edition because of its price? Tell them what price would have made the purchase easy for you. The more people doing this, the more the publisher's accountants can caluculate out how much money Steve Jobs is costing them.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 4:53:24 AM PST
Sadly, Amazon lost this battle. Now, I see the remarkable things like $27.00 for Kindle versions and $6.99 for the paperback. It's turned me to piracy, I tell you.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  24
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Mar 21, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Savor the Moment: Book Three in the Bride Quartet (The Bride Quartet, Book 3)
Savor the Moment: Book Three in the Bride Quartet (The Bride Quartet, Book 3) by Nora Roberts (Paperback - April 27, 2010)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (481)